View RSS Feed

Swim like an Orca, but faster !

In my third year * of training for competition swimming. First Meet was October 2008. Started with a Masters team on May 2009.
Started blogging in winter of 2009 as a way to document my progress and pitfalls of training for the sport.

I swim with Aquasol Masters, part of Aquasol Swimming a USA-S team, 4-5 times a week in the evenings. Coached by Janine Joy and Head Coach Steve Skidmore respectively.

I also swim every Thursday at the Swimstitute, this is the only SCM pool in the region, except for UC Davis.

Meets Attended:
October 5 2008 Sacramento Sprint Pentathlon SCM
December 4 2008 Reno Winners Meet SCY
March 2 2009 Bears Don't Hibernate SCY
April 19 2009 Pacific Masters Championships
August 15 2009 MAAC Modesto Area Aquatics SCM
October 11, 2009 Sacramento Sprint Pentathlon SCM
March 28, 2010 Strawberry Canyon Aquatic Masters @ Cal Berkeley
July 10, 2010"Sierra Nevada Swimming Long Course Last Chance Qualifier " USA-S meet

October 9, 2010 ďSPOOK-TACULARĒ BB+/-" Roseville Aquatics Center (aka Summer Sanders) USA-S SCY
March 4, 2012 Strawberry Canyon Aquatic Masters U.C. Berkeley SCY USMS

* Sept. 2008

Everyday... praising the Lord Jesus <><

1. Oct 17th 2012 - What has it done for me?

by , October 18th, 2012 at 01:29 AM (Swim like an Orca, but faster !)
    When I was very young, about 4, I remember a sleeper wave knocking me down and pulling me out into the surf. The sea was forgiving or deliberate and deposited me back on shore, somehow I knew to hold my breath and deal with it. Since then I have had a relationship with water that has lasted me a lifetime. I continue to learn and grow and the water always seems to be a central part of who I am, besides the 70%.

Swimming. What has it done? Besides accelerating the natural wrinkling process of aging, swimming has got me toned and in shape, I left Aquasol in July 2012 and started with a weight lifting program that is concentrating on muscle mass and strength. Since my last negative post, I thought I would post something positive. I am getting stronger, people are noticing my muscle mass increasing a bit and I've turned the persistent body fat into lean muscle. I still have the motivation to swim fast so I swim one to two times a week at local drop-in lap swims.

I represent the obscure faces in the crowd who never got into the top ten, twenty or anything, who look forward to a workout because it something healthy to do and at the very least is keeping my cardio vascular systems in top shape. I gave up on being a competitive swimmer for now, because I just wanted to be in the race, not just a Ďhaving funí participant. I have decided on strength goals and when I hit them, like 30 pull-ups and 10x200lb. wide grip pull downs, (Iím at 8 pull ups and 2x10x140lb now) I will start timing my 50ís and 100ís to see where Iím at, then Iíll see about a meet. My swims are more about technique and are done at a moderate pace.

Although I really miss Coach Janine and Coach Steve and my lane buddies at Aquasol Masters, I know that if I return, I will be able to look at the clock and feel good about the swim. Otherwise I would be just a lap swimmer, which I am now, but nobodyís keeping up with me. Itís amazing how many people look like shark bait in the water, but I used to be there too.

The moral is donít give up, adapt, change it up, cross-train and keep the dream alive, even if itís just to swim a 100 free in :52, or a 100 Fly in :58Öthen youíll be in the race, that is, I hope to be in that race. I can say that the journey so far has been awesome, my health has changed and its been worth every workout and every struggle. I thank God for thatÖ
    Categories
    Planning