View RSS Feed

Questions from Coaches

Education Director Bill Brenner answers your questions

1. Pools are closing. Is yours next?

by , August 22nd, 2019 at 11:46 AM (Questions from Coaches)
    As Masters coaches, we strive to improve the health and well-being of our athletes, priding ourselves on keeping them active in the sport of swimming for a lifetime. However, many of us have a derisory account of the health and well-being of the aquatic facilities hosting our practices.
    Recently, my community in Sarasota, Fla., was shocked with the unexpected news that our YMCA was permanently closing two fitness centers, including the aquatic facilities. This closure will displace thousands of Y members, including me, who have counted on the Y as their retreat for health and social activities.
    No warnings or calls for help were communicated before this abstruse decision was made to cease operations, just an email outlining the financials struggles that led to this cessation decree. While my shock turned to anger and ensuing sorrow, I contemplated how often this travesty is happening within other Masters communities.
    How much do you know about the financial health of your aquatic facility? If very little, investigate now. Do you have sources within the facility to ask? Is your program represented at the highest levels within senior management or the board of directors?
    Getting involved, educated, and in a position to respond accordingly will help ensure and secure the longevity of your Masters program.
    Categories
    Uncategorized