View RSS Feed

Uncategorized

Entries with no category

1. It worked! Thanks swimming blogworld!

I broke through the forces of sloth and traveled through the portal of the pool! Yes!

1000 free
    500 kick
    500 kick with fins, various strokes
    12 x 25 with 10 second rests
    100 breast
    100 im
    300 drills
    200 cool down

3000 yards,no not leagues...
    under the pool, no not the sea,
    but the challenge and the rewards may as well be...

Updated September 3rd, 2009 at 02:11 PM by flippergirl

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. The pool is being cleaned until Monday...

but that is just an excuse for not swimming a hard work out. There are other place I could go. I really can't say what the problem is except like a pouty child I am stubbornly crossing my arms and saying "I don't want to!" "So there!". The only thing I know left to do that might break the spell is to set a goal and tell me, myself and you that "I pomise to go to the pool on Monday when it reopens." I hope this breaks the spell. I do know that in the past when I wrote it down in this here blog/journal...it made it happen... Hope it works...

What I have been doing is

whitewater kayaking at the whitewater center. I gotta get ready for the Gualey River that runs with a big festival in West Virginia the months of Sept. and Oct. It is a beauty of a place up there, but if I don't prepare it could swallow me up.
    I have been studying and training to become an Advanced Open Water Diver. Even though I have now recieved this certificate I still have mucho to learn.
    Been diving off wrecks in the North Carolina Coast. This was awesome... and diving oysters in the Quarry! The Oyster Dive is an event where about two hundred divers showed up and we went treasure hunting for orange painted oyster that were worth nice prizes like dive trips, regulators, BCD's and other neat stuff.
    This weekend if the weather allows we are off to the coast to see another wreck on the botton of the sea.

But my biggest regret is my swimming seems to be slipping so...
    So with a hand shake I say to you...
    "I flippergirl promise to swim a good work out on Monday."
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. How does a swimmer get out of an Elephant?

They swim around till their all pooped out!

Working on technique and drills that my coach gave me. I am excited about improving all the strokes as I am considering the IM as a favorite of mine.
    I swam about 2200 this morning, a little of this, a little of that. I tried to focus on keeping my entire body in correct positioning, learning to push the water towards my toes with my forarms in backstroke and worked on keeping lower body higher in the water for breaststroke. This made the glide fun and feel a bit like the ungulating of the butterfly.

Cramed for an enriched nitrox course for scuba and couldn't believe I got an 88%! Charts and tables aren't my thing, but I actually enjoyed it. So with some intrepidation I must say that instead of focusing on my swimming lately it has been diving in a quarry and preparing for this weekends deep wreck dives off the North Carolina coast...two tankers and two Civil war boats!
    Diving can benefit my swimming as I must learn to move effortlessly as to save oxygen. A sense of this could possibly help me to think about swimming more efficiently instead of like a wild animal trying to get out of an elephant...
    which is a bit of my nature

Updated August 13th, 2009 at 01:51 PM by flippergirl

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. M.I.A. of L.I.F.E (Laps, Intervals, Fun, Endurance)

I have been dealing with alot of distractions that keep me from staying true to my WOs. Traveling, celebrations, family accidents, business matters, etc.

I went to the Ed Gaw Amelia Island 5k swim at the tip of Fla. and it was awsome. It is so far away from this writing however, that I feel its memory slipping away. Ah yes, I just got a flash of being in the perfect temp. ocean water on a clear day and charging with a hop. skip and a jump toward the first bouy. It seemed like forever, but I kept my stroke long, relaxed and steady.

I kept invisioning things like my coach at the side of the pool with her arms stretch out like a monkey reminding me to climb the water long and tall.

I thought about my Dad if he were alive... on the side lines saying, "Com'on you can do it!

I had planned on pulling out my surfer racecar driver friend Peter for help when I just thought I couldn't go any farther and I did.

At one point I smelled cigarette smoke...it was a kayaker...drove me nuts.

"Where's that dam bouy!" I remember screaming out loud to nobody on several occasions.

Sometimes in the distance I saw two other bright green caps. I used them as competion I was determined to catch but never did.

I am very thankful to the kaykers for keeping us all coraled. I would have other wise been all over the place.

I used houses on the sidelines like people I was passing in a parade...my hands waving over and over again.

Finally, I saw the finish bouy! I rounded it and headed to shore. When I stood up I felt my whole body shift and not in a good way. My legs ached as I crossed the finish line with all my might.

I won my age group!!!! But most of all my time makes me very, very proud of the hard work I did leading up to that very moment of 1:35:24 for my first 5k.

Now time to get back to the drawing pool.

P.S. Good Luck to everyone at the Nationals!

Updated August 29th, 2009 at 10:07 AM by flippergirl

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Met with a coach today.

I told Heather I was doing a 5k ocean swim on Saturday so we focused on getting ready for that. We worked on elongating my stroke, relaxing my feet and hands and breathing on both sides. She showed me some drills for maximizing my stroke...to swim more efficiently with less effort.

Drills to remember and do:

Lie on back, arms at side roll full circle leading with the hips while kicking.

Lie on stomach, put a kickboard between thighs and tap it at the back of your stroke in freestyle.

Sculling with fingers apart slightly.

Counting my strokes down pool. She said no more than 17. I stayed under that fairly easy.

I asked her to time me on the 25 and 50 after our class of focusing on longer stroke.

25yds- 15.6 and 50 yds - 34.8.

If this is accurate these are awesome times for me. I am not going to post them as I want to check with a stopwatch for accuracy.

I will be away from my regular workouts as I am traveling to Fla and SF until August 1. When I get back I will meet with her again. I hope to find pools to swim in when I am away.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Was going to meet with a coach one on one today....

but they had an emergency. The plan is to meet monday. I hope to have them look at my stroke and see where to go from there.

I sent in my form to do the Amelia Island race 5k on July 18 on my way to pick up my Mom in Fla and fly with her to my brother's wedding in SF.
    Maybe I will find a pool in Marin County to swim.
    Anybody out there have any ideas?

500 IM drills
    500 dophin kicks
    8 x 50 on 50
    12 x 10 on 25
    400 swim. Focusing on free stroke.

Timed my 50 and 25
    50-35.38
    25- 16.08
    Nothin to write home about, but I am very happy with the 50 time. In a race with a dive maybe I would break under 34.

remembered my sneakers and shorts and went to the wieght room. Did stomach crunches, leg press 10 time 110lbs. Leg curls and extension. About 7 times 35 lbs.

Oh ...last night we did our first night dive in the quarry!

Updated July 10th, 2009 at 04:14 PM by flippergirl

Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. I told myself that if I can do a 5k in the LCM pool....

I will do the ED Gaw Amelia Island, Fla openwater swim July 18th. I planned that today was the day, but if I was to achieve my goal I would have to pace myself, period.

I decided to set swim at 9:25 AM...just make the k's and not care too much about time. I did notice however that my first few 100 meters were under 2:00 minutes and I was only warming up. I glanced at the clock ocassionally, but the metrnome in my mind was on the laps.

I swam elongated strokes, short strokes, breaths to one side or the other, but always freestyle... hand over hand. Sometimes my legs became the driving force as if I were doing a kick drill. At other times it was a pull drill. I used a of variety of tools I have learned over the past half a year to engage different muscles groups and give others a break.

My pace always felt similiar. It was important for me to see I could do the distance and feel what 5k is like so I know at least some of what I am getting into before I hit the ocean.

I looked up at the clock. It was 11:10 AM even.
    I did the 5k in about 1:45. I am sure it will be different in the sea.

This is amazing to me. I never thought I could do it. When I started blogging six months ago I had no idea I would go from doing 1725 yards to 5000 meters. What is this powerful attachment between swimming and connecting with others through writing. Whatever it is, I hope to have the good graces to keep it up.

But the truth be known, I am a bit afraid of the Amelia Island swim.

Updated July 7th, 2009 at 06:39 PM by flippergirl

Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Let FREE dom ring!

Wednesday Work out

1000 Free was really enjoyable and relaxing

500 dolphin kicks with fin sprinting

4 x 100 Free on 1:45 interval

100 free easy

5 x 50 Free on fifty

200 Free drills

400 Back/Fly

200 playful cool down with underwater tricks.

I felt strong the whole way. Guess we have good days and not so good. That is the toughest part of life sometimes. Always expecting to feel great.

Raced the 30' Cat Capri non spin with hubbly alone and we came in third. Dana looked at me very seriously last night after the race and said. "I couldn't have had a 19 year old guy on the boat tack as well you did tonight." That put a big on my face.

Updated July 3rd, 2009 at 03:08 PM by flippergirl

Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Swam whimpyish yardage

200 Warm up
    400 drill
    500 kick with fins; 45 sec on each 50 yards
    200 breastroke
    14 x 25 9 on 25 sec, 2 easy, one fast under 18, one cool down. I bought a stopwatch, but still have to find someone to time me. I need a coach, but feel like that is such a big commitment. What if they aren’t the right coach for me?
    5 x 50’s on 50
    100 IM
    400 esay
    2400 yards

Saw my big sister this week end and she said a coach would help me to understand how realistic and in what amount of time could I drop first, two seconds off my 50 free. Right now it is 34.50ish Then dreamin about another two.

I know 2400 yards isn't gonna cut it.

Updated June 30th, 2009 at 06:43 PM by flippergirl

Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. “Hi Paige, its Sue…I have some bad news.”

I heard the voicemail, was worried and tried to call Susan back twice. Finally the phone rang.

“Paige…Peter drowned.”

Peter was a surfer and one of the Jersey shore gang I hung out with in my teen's and 20's. We dated one summer. At the time he was on top of the world. He was racing Formula Ford race cars so I went up to Lime Rock Ct with him and his parents one week end. My stomach still remembers the way he took those curves on the drive up to the track. Paul Newman was there and so was Warner Earnhardt. No relations to the Dale's (I don’t think)…but some hip psychological guru from California. Anyway….I can’t seem to remember exactly what trouble Peter had with the car. Had he flipped?

I do remember after we stopped seeing each other my mother heard that he was in Cosmopolitian Magazine as Most available bachelor of the month.

Peter loved to surf with Michael, Sue’s twin brother. As adults they traveled around the world in search of you know what. Now in their 50’s they had been together in the ocean last Thursday bodysurfing off New Jersey shore. Dear, sweet, careful Michael did everything he could to revive his long time buddy, but he could not win the battle against another’s destiny.

As far as anyone knows there was no trauma to his body. The sea had been strong…but not something they had not encountered before. I write this in my blog because it is about swimming in open water. I feel the loss of a friend, fear and confusion about the ocean right now.

Updated August 7th, 2009 at 01:29 PM by flippergirl

Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. I wish I were Superwoman, but I am meerly flippergirl...

Today would have been my fourth day in a row of training. Yesterday I swam with a pulled hamstring and sore shoulders. Well, today they are worse. At least for now I am a person who needs a day off for recovering. I know I am supposed to time myself at the end of the week for the speed experiment and since I have to go out of town tomorrow till Sunday night I will just have to time myself on Monday. I feel I worked very hard this week and maybe if I give my muscles a chance to recover this is the smarter way to time myself. We'll see. I know I feel like have no strength today.

I don't want to make too big a deal out of this in my mind...because that only leads to negative thinking about myself.

I also have a very full day preparing for spending a wonderful week-end with my family in Boston. I am going to focus on that now.

But I shall return!!! Don't give up on me...please! As I am not going to give up on myself.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Day three done...

1000 yards focusing on stroke and turns and pushing off really hard.

200 backstroke
    300 breastroke

5 x 100 on 1:30 kick with fins

200 drills
    100 IM
    100 free

12 x 25 on 30 sec (did 18-20)
    300 cool down

Made my 3000 yard mark.
    That's all.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. LCM still pushing over 3000yds = 2750 meters!

4 x 150 free 3:00
    4 x 50 kick w fins 1:15
    4 x 100 free on 2:00
    4 x 50 kick w fins 1:15
    400 IM with fins

tried 100 backstroke drill with coke can on head. Only fell off twice, fun!

400 IM w/o fins
    300 yds of free, drills, breast, back, butter
    200 cool down

2800meters I am tired and have to train two more days in a row. Fist time I am training 4 days in a row. Ugh!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. I have decided to try out some of the workouts from here.

Today I grabbed Kristilynn's and magnified it to 24 so I could see it without my glasses. I did a modified version being sure to get over 3000 yards.

500 warm up
    5 x 100 kick W fins @ 1:30
    8 x 50 @ 55 25 heads up/25 swim (I think this helped me with catch and release)
    4 x 25 sprint @ :30
    5 x 100 kick w/fins @ 1:30 (basically nonstop for me)
    4 x 50 @ 55 choice drill/swim
    4 x 25 sprint @ :30
    3 x 100 @ 1:30
    300 cool down
    3000 yds.

Going back to the pool tomorrow to do 3000 yds more of some other work out.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Learning a great lesson about goals...

You can set them and you may acheive them or not. The key is deciding you are not a failure if you don't do them perfect and totally give up. The point of goals is to march on and try to do better next week. That said I am proud to say I swam four time this week and my yardage was very close to 3000 except for one day.
    I think if I have a written out workout plan I will make the distance next week. Today my arms are sore and I did 2500.
    I also did my speed workout 12 x 25's as fast as I can three time this week. But today I had no one with a stopwatch so I timed my self and will post them in my speed journal/post, anyway. Being off from swimming (sailing) for a week cut into my speed training. But I will keep track anyway.
    Win or lose I always learn!

I can't find where I posted my last times so until i do I will post them here.
    6/19
    25yds 50yds
    16.5 36.5 no stop watch, tank suit, push off wall.

Updated June 19th, 2009 at 07:44 PM by flippergirl

Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Sticking to my goals...

3000 yards, four times a week and Ande's speed drill.
    In the middle of the night while trying to sleep I planned my workout.

I swam the LCM today

Here it was-

10 x 50 free to warm up
    4 x 50 swim, 50 kick,50 drill, 50 swim (IM)w/ fins
    10 x 50 fast (45-50sec) on 1:00
    5 x 100's fast (1:40 sec) on 2:00
    200m cool down.
    2500 meters must be more than 3000 yards.(but it is not...it is 2735yds.)
    I guess got close when I added in the catchand release drills...oh well...

Jerry joined my lane as I was finishing up and he gave me some tips for the catch and release...high elbow. I worked on some of those drills. I have a long way to go...

During my workout I thought about my body as a boat. My arms were the sails pulling me forward as I imagined the water rushing by me and over me like the wind. This gave me a sense of feeling the water more consciously. Nirvanaha enlightenment? Then to add an extra vrmmm my kicking legs became the motor!

Updated June 18th, 2009 at 05:37 PM by flippergirl

Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Been gone sailin'

First time to charter a 32 foot Catalina in the Palmico Sound for a week. I was all set to do alot of swimming when jellyfish with two foot long tentacles had invaded the place. Found out the hard way and got stung first day in the water in the first few minutes. Finally, after all week on Saturday I get in the water as no sightings of the beasts except one or two that morning. I followed behind the boat for a little over an hour anywhere between .6 -1.8 knots. Just after I got out my brothers and sister dophins approached the boat and swam along with us. What a joy!
    The trip was not without its hot lulls and also wild hurricanes to bunker down in, plus lots of spinacker flyin. Got the boat up to 8 knots. I learn alot about navigation. Rugged, but fun trip.

Hope to get back on track of getting faster....
    Today I swam in the outdoor summer pool just down the street. I can walk there and that is so tempting rather than having to go downtown.
    I like having a variety of choices...but must stick to goals when in the water no matter where:

Swim four times a week
    At least 3000 which I did not do today.
    Ande's speed drills at least three times a week and get timed on the 25 and 50 at the end of each week.

500 yards free
    200 IM
    12 x 25 as fast as I could
    250 kicks
    250 drills
    200 breaststrke
    200 backstroke
    100 cool down
    not such a hard 2000 yards...the next workout I do must work harder. I did concentrate on form however, and felt kind of speedy in a glidish sort of way.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. Results of 1 week of My Speed is Horrible training.

I went to the pool tonight with the goal to see if my times in the 25 and the 50 have improved after my first week of doing the My Speed is Horrible training along with my other workouts. Tonight I focused mostly on getting the week ending results and then I will post them under the MSIHorrible thread with my begining time for comparsion.

500 yd Free warm-up
    4 x 25 yds swim
    4 x 25 yds kick
    4 x 25 yds sdk

12 x 25 Free did 20sec /rest 10 = 30sec interval
    the last 3 I did easier and lest rest
    HR 120

12 x 50 Free did 40-45 on 1min interval

Then I saw Rodney coaching a team. They were finishing up so...
    I asked Rodney if he could time my 50 with a stopwatch.
    "Sure" he said.

I thought about, pushing off hard,counting the stripes (seven) on the bottom,full sombersault flip turn and breathing.

"On your mark, go."
    First lap took two breaths and focused on kick.
    Middle of second lap breathed every stroke
    Ended holding breath and strong.
    "36.23"
    Well, no change.

He suggested I wasn't finishing off my stroke in the end and to rock and roll more. I asked him would he time my 25.
    "Okay, walk down to the other end of the pool."
    "Are you ready?"
    Yes.
    Go...
    I just plowed to the end and looked up.
    "15.83" he said.
    Yes!!! I finally beat 17 seconds by 1.17secs!!
    "Your a fast learner." he said
    That made my day.
    I really see how important the stopwatch is for acuracy.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Really Pushed Myself...

Workout
    200 Warm up
    We did
    3 x 25 (swim,kick,swim,drill)
    3 x
    I just can't remember exactly and this drives me nuts, but I went thru this briefly with someone else who also says they don't remember exactly either however yardage sets came to

800 yds, sets of 25's x swim, kick swim, drill
    600 yds, sets of 50's free/ choice
    500 yds, kicking free/Im
    then I pushed
    3 x 100 free fast...not sure of time, darn it
    3 x 100 I M not sure but all out,
    3 X 100 choice (started poopin out)
    3 minute intervals.
    cool down

When will I be able to post my workouts from practice with the ease I see of other.
    It was concluded that yardage was about 3200
    Remembered to push hard off walls. I felt good about my flipturns. Sombersaulting completely onto back before rolling out and stroking without taking a breath coming out of the turn sometimes.

Father's Day is coming up and maybe that is why I feel blah. My Dad past away last July from Alzheimers. He was the best life coach I ever had and also my biggest fan.

Updated June 5th, 2009 at 05:10 AM by flippergirl

Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Lapping behind the sailboats....

I just felt like swimming in the lake today so I drove up to the sailboat club. I am trying to figureout how long it is when I swim behind the sailboats that are lined up.

I wonder if there is some kind of watch you can wear to tell your distance?

I used the tailend of the boats to stay in a straight line. That forced me in one of the directions to consistantly breath on my right side for a long time in order to make use of the boats stay straight. Up went my head way too high and down to the bottom of the lake went the opposite arm. But counting on the boats to stay in line I was forced to not give in until I slowly started trusting and sweeping the arm back instead of down. When I got it right it felt so effortless.
    It seems like I can't get a day where my swim just feels great the whole time. I had a few of those a while back. Oh well...
    I swam an hour and guessing on the length of the dock...I haven't got a clue really about my distance, and I put alot of thought into how to figure this out.
    Trying to get 4 swims in this week.
    Going to do the my speed is horrible endurance push and test at the end of the week.

Updated June 2nd, 2009 at 09:16 PM by flippergirl

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast