View RSS Feed

flippergirl

1. Still in love...

It has been 6 weeks since I have started journaling my swimming experience with the master swimmers.
    This is a reflection back on what I have learned, acheived and need to work on.
    Reading back I see I wanted to break my "make a mile and get out of the pool" mentality. I don't know how it happened but that is just not a part of my vocabulary anymore! I use different terms and jargons. Not very well albeit, but the swim dictionary is now my oyster.
    I get up at 5:30 in the morning because I want to get out of bed, go to the water and feel alive.
    I swim along with other beings all just as crazy about plowing the pool as I am.
    There is a coach who looks me in the eye and explains things to me as dumb as I feel some times.
    I swim somewhere between 25-3000 yds a workout. I am not quite sure how to put the workouts in writing but I can say today I know what is going on when it counts...in the water.
    When I was a shy little teen I was terrified of meets. I am swelling with tears right now because I don't want to run and hide anymore. I want to show up on the block.
    I am learning to tell myself I can instead of I can't. Something about this master swimming has made me believe in myself.
    I ve learned saying positive things to myself works.
    My shoulders are killing me but I want to stay tough.
    I went to 3 workouts this week. Nothing could stop me. I even do core and weight machines.
    I could go on and on, but I will leave that up to my next six week review and see how I am doing.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. March 13th...Friday the 13! Yeow!

Just my luck our workout started at 5:30!(I wish).
    I did it. Got there and pushed my self to keep up with the guy in the other lane or maybe he was just being kind and pacing me. He'd beat me anyway at the 10yds or with a powerful turn. I will use anything that will help me to march onward.
    Question:
    I have to learn exactly where to approach the wall for my turn when swimming in a circle. Straight in front of me and then angle over or head to the middle then turn or if there is room cut far left and turn in my new lane. There must be a best way so one gets the best technique practice possible for the flip turn yet no painful and at best embarassing collision.
    W did a of 900 75's and 25stroke (100's) on 2:00 min interval. I think I kept it under 1:45 with 15 rest. Definitely under 1:50.
    alot of 75 swim 25 kick
    I just don't remember it all. Does that come with time?
    Of course my in the water RC excercise with flippers and snorkel. I actually enjoy these.
    I mailed in my entry fee for Devil Splash.

Updated March 13th, 2009 at 05:56 PM by flippergirl

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. When the going gets tough the tough....

go sleep on the sailboat! There is nothing like a pink sunset and a pale moon...ale to recolor your world.
    I awoke this morn before the possums cross the road and headed back to town for the master workout. Got there at 6:00 and did

300 RC excercises oh great news!!! I only have to do therapy for my shoulder and the Doc said swim away!!
    My new motto. Pain is never having to say your sorry.
    300 wu
    The coach writes the work out on the board and I am just trying to read it however
    I know we did a bunch of swim, stroke
    swim, drill. 100's 50's 25's
    about 1000 yds of these kicks
    25 free, 25 stk, 25 left side 25 right side
    2 sets of
    2 x 100 on 1:50
    2 x 50 on :55
    2 x 25 on 30 Mon I did a 25 on 16 secs and 2 on 17 secs, but today I wasn't as strong.
    300 latic release
    so around 2900
    Weight machines
    core 50lbs 20reps x 4
    leg lifts 50 x 15 x 4
    leg curls 35 x 10 x 4

Updated March 11th, 2009 at 12:06 PM by flippergirl

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. I don't feel like journaling, but it is important...

My blogging here is a bit of a life line out of my own own head to others. It makes me feel connected and devoted to the water while I am on dry land. It reminds me who I am...part fish part human.
    This morning I am going to the orthopedist and I am dreading it. He is going to move my fins around and ask all sorts of questions. UGH! I don't want to talk about.

Oh yes, I had a good workout yesterday morning with the masters and will plow through this lull in human lowness till tomorrow's swim.

Updated March 10th, 2009 at 09:30 AM by flippergirl

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Did My Best Intervals Ever!

Made it too the pool after all and had powerful swim on my own.

400 Warm Up
    200 RC excersises
    300 Katie's FSBS drill with fin's
    100 preparing and thinking about intervals

5 x 100 on a 1:30 + :15 rest = 1:45

10 X 50 on a :55 including 10 rest!

(Got the above intervals from CoachNate workouts and really good times for me)

300 dolphin kick w fins

100 punch drill but my shoulder didn't like so
    breast stroked working on time kick with stroke

300 cool down to get rid of lactic acid

Total 2400

Excercise machine
    40lbs X 20reps X 4 Abs
    40lbs X 10rep X 4 Leg lifts
    40lbs X 10rep X 4 Leg curls

Updated March 6th, 2009 at 03:26 PM by flippergirl (for got to add weights)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Looong course pool today....

After my work out today saw the largest Robin redbreast hanging around the swivel doors. Must workout here.

Temp is 50 degrees so the Whitewater Center is open. Disneyland for Kyakers!

Okay here's my workout.

300 meters warmup
    300 meter RC excercise...used snorkel and flippers to assist.

200 free focusing on keeping my right arms at my thigh instead of crossing over body.

400 fin kick front, side, back, side
    courtesy of Katie (Butler College)

200 breast trying Mark Gangloff''s(Q and A in US Master Swimmer magazine) start
    kick at begining of pulldown.

Meant to try a difficult equation workout of Vlogs but forgot paper so,
    4 X 100 meters on 2:14. 1:38-1:45

Cool down thinking about placement during
    breast stroke and free.

Weight machines
    Core 35lbs X 4 sets of 20 rep
    Leg lifts 35lbs X 5 set 10 reps
    Leg curl 35lbs X 5 set of 10 rep
    Started to try arm puch but hurt shoulder...imediately stoped

Updated March 5th, 2009 at 06:23 PM by flippergirl

Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. I don't think or want to ever lose that urgent...

desire to swim as fast as I can, however there comes the enevitable day when you are forced to take a look at your stroke technique. Whether it be injury, or your not getting any faster in the world's time even though it feels like you are in water, or your just plan tired at the moment. When all three of these collide at the same time something wonderful can happen.
    As I was warming up I was thinking about how I hadn't done anything to stretch out my poor wounded rotator cuff. What was I gonna do...I hate being flat on my stomach on the hard floor making tiny little repetitive movements. Suddenly it came to me. Hey, I am on my stomach in the water. Why not kick with my flippers gently and do the excercises in the water while I am swimming.
    Well, that's what I did. Raising my arms ever so slightly in the positions required on land.
    I was able to do a fair amount, not get bored, and get some yardage in. This slowed me down so I could think about what some one said to me. Maybe I was pulling my arm arcross the horizontal line of my body. Yes in fact, I had been doing that. So after,
    800 yard easy various strokes
    300 dolphin kick with fins underwater
    600 of experimenting with RC excercises
    I did
    10 X 25's on 30 sec.
    I had never done 25 sets before. This allowed me to stop focusing on getting through my flip turn and fighting my way back the second lap as 50's sets do. I then turn my focus to pulling my arm straight. I am not sure if my stroke is right but my arm didn't get that sharp pain. Unfortunately this threw my body rotation to being flat. All this time I was using my arm to pull and rotate my body sidways. It was doing the work. I now have to find a better way to roll my body for streamlining. Another thing to explore.

Updated March 3rd, 2009 at 04:41 PM by flippergirl (editing)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. On a more statistical and personal reflection of Sat. meet

I swam the 1000. When I dove in my goggles filled with water! It was awful. My time was 16:29.00. I was sure I could do under 15:00 but I was wrong. Bernie from my club helped me to break down my 100's for future training.

I swam the 50 and put the goggles under my cap. They fell off and dragged on me the whole way. MY time was 36.02 which beat my last time by about 00.30 and my goal is to get under 34.00. for now and then see if that is the best this body can do or not.

I was asked to join in a relay with DAMA! That was the first relay I have done in say 35years when I was 17! I said I could only do free or breast as my arm does not want to do a backward motion and I think the fly is hard on my arm also. I need to get praticing on these strokes and technique.

I don't like to not show up but I scratched the IM as my shoulder told me to do so.

Updated March 1st, 2009 at 12:15 PM by flippergirl (title error)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. The Adventures of a Newbie...

I wanted to be prepared, so I left the night before. I was going to be in the very first race, my very first 1000 free at 8:45 AM Sat. I was going to stange town in the middle of nowhere, Greensboro North Carolina. I was coming from a town in the middle of nowhere, Charlotte. The forcast was gloomy and it was. My destination was a high school. Once I had found the pool I knew I would be okay. I walked up to two young girls with pony tails and running clothes. The one with braces pointed and said, "It's up there." Why don't teen age girls say much? I followed them to a brick building with a big heavy door. "Good evening", said Lurch except with a southern accent and a plaid button down shirt. Probably a teacher on security duty. I could smell the bleach and saw the steam rising through yet another door. I sucked in that vapor that is like an addiction. You want it so much and at the same time you know one taste and the results could be exulting or the death of you.
    Fast forward past the want the hotel but could only afford the motel.
    After much prayer, plans and too much chocolate from the 75% off Valentine heart I got at Rite Aid. I get to sleep.
    I am the first to arrive at the pool greeted by a sleepy Lurch. I haven't been in the pool for four days and the water feels so inviting in warmup. I thought about what Onefish said. Did a good warm up, practiced my flip turns to be ready to hit off the wall fast and hard.
    My own ideas are all rushing into my head as I am so unprepared with any knowlege of my speed. Hmmm, if I count, how many one Missisippis does it take for me to get 50yds against the clock. Um, I think it is 30 of my Mississippis to 40 seconds on the clock. How close can I get to the wall for my turns. I approach the guy in a white polo shirt and something around his neck. I shyly ask when can I dive? He is kind.
    Fast forward to my big race.
    I instinctually tunnel vision down the lane as I step up. Take your mark. Kind of a Wwwonngbzzz echoes in my ear. I push off, point toes, hit the water and my goggles fill up with water. I can't see for sht..!!! Jimby, I feel like the Red Baron is going to get me this time for sure!
    How could I dare waste time fixing them. I blindly go as the stinging pain increases. I barely see some white square floating in and out of the water at one end. It is like a nightmare that never ends. Uh ohhhh I touch outside the pad... oh no I might be diqualified? I will pull and I will kick to the death. Finally, the dream ends and I finish. I finish....yes, I did it against all odds!! I could go on and on about the whole wonderful day and wonderful people I met or got to know better. What commeraderie. I'm in love with Masterswimming. I hope its the kind that last forever.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. I dont feel ready for my meet tomorrow....

I feel like I was slacker this week because of my shoulders. I don't understand how I could possibly taper when I haven't swam long enough at higher yardage yet. So I opted to rest my shoulders and did very little excercise or swimming this week. I feel fat and lazy and mad at myself for not "training" with my new team this week, but I have spent 20 years whitewater kyaking (playboating, surfing) putting wear and tear on shoulders. My gung ho return to childhood love of swimming this new year brought to the surface bad shoulder pain.
    So here I go diving in tomorrow to my first ever 1000 free. I don't even know if I am a distance or a sprinter. If I survive the 1000 free I will do the 50free 100IM.
    IF I HAD ONE WISH IT WOULD BE FOR BIONIC ARMS!
    Woe is mmeeee.......
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. I can not tell a lie...however

I couldn't resist going to the team workout this morning. I did rest my shoulders over the week-end and they felt better. At practice I mostly swam with flippers like a dolphin surging under water. I worked on some of the ideas I got from Leslie's video on dolphin kick. Pure joy. I worked on holding my breath as long as I could. I kicked and kicked until my lungs were totally exspelled.
    Did about 2700 yards. I followed the workout, just didn't use arms much.
    Then went to the weight room and did mucho crunches. Gotta get that core strong.
    I continue RC excercise recommend by you guys and gals.
    Don't know if I will go to practice Wed. Maybe I should rest for my big meet!!! What would you do?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Rotator cuff areas of both my shoulders are very sore...

I have a meet next Sat and don't know how much to practice. Monday I plan on making an appt. with an orthepedist and get a PT program going...but until then... What should I do about workouts? Should I go or rest? Please help rescue Flipper as she feels the presence of danger!!!

Updated February 21st, 2009 at 10:40 AM by flippergirl

Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. I am really doing this...5:30 headed uptown to workout.

I was weary about my sore shoulders. The coach said not to do pull. I wanted to get there early so I could get a good warm-up.
    500 warm-up
    swim 4 X 200 1+3 25 free 25str, 2 + 4 choice 4:min
    DID NOT PULL
    kick 4 X 100 2:45
    Swim 4 X 50 1+3 str, 2 + 4 free 65sec
    4 X 25 choice 60sec KICK
    more KICKING-12 x 50 4 free 70sec
    4str 80 sec
    4 choice 90 sec
    I kicked with the group! I hung in there! It feels good!
    200 cool down
    2600 yds?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. My first time getting up at the crack of dawn....

Had a terrrible dream that I couldn't get to the pool...got to the wrong pool...got lost in a crazy mish mosh building with stairways and elevators full of people from my past...then bingo I popped up right at 6, the time I had planned. Still got there late and took my glasses with me so I could read the sheet. Whatddaya know I stepped on them going to get the kickboard. Oh well I needed a new pair anyway. Everybody like busy bees doing their routines and a quick chat with the coach.
    Pull 400 (75 free (5 breath) 25 stroke
    Kick 4 X 100
    Pull 300 (75 free (5th) 25 stroke
    Kick 4X75
    Pull 200 choice
    Kick 4 X 50
    Pull 25 stk 25 free (100)?
    Kick 4 X 25
    Interval timing on all with rest
    Checked the times on some of my strokes
    Back 50 48 sec
    IM 100 1:45
    Breast 50 not so good I can do better. I am wishy washy on my stroke. Old style ? new style...not clear what to do.
    I think I can do better than this under pressure plus as a dive. Getting ready for my Feb 28 event. I am going to do 1000 free, 50 free, 100 IM!

Updated February 18th, 2009 at 11:50 AM by flippergirl (posted before finished out of know where? I hit something wrong both times by accident wil try to type more carefully)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Talk about waterlogged...

I can't believe I passed the written test of my crash course scuba class! Spent the week-end sitting indian style on the bottom of a cold pool starring at a bunch of people looking like Monty Python soldiers waiting for their next "Knights of Neets" mission.
    The open water dive is the same week -end as my meet Feb 28. I will dive in April as my meet is more important to me.
    Got up a 600 this morning and caught the last part of the Charlotte Masters swimmers working out. I approached the coach and asked if I could join them Wed or Fri. and he said, sure.
    I warmed up
    Tried my 1000 yard event. It is what it is. I really need to improve my stroke
    Want to know my times on backstroke.
    Did a bunch of 50 breast. Might do this in the meet as well as 50 free.
    100 I M
    100 side kicks
    300 kicks with fins.
    cool down
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. My husband signed us up for crash course in scuba diving!

So for Friday, Sat and Sunday I am not really out of the pool, just under the pool. Another wonderful way to stay close to my dophin roots, so whose complaining?

I seemed to have strained my hamstring, very annoying. Any suggestions? What is the best way to incorporate a stretching routine into my workout. I don't have a ritual and I know it is really important...especially rotator cuff stretches. I remember reading an article about the 41 year Olympic winner and she actually hires people to stretch her! She stretches hours a day and especially before a race.
    Can't wait to hear how everyone does at their meets this week-end.
    Flippergirl

Updated February 14th, 2009 at 12:27 PM by flippergirl

Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. The MAC was closed for college meet so they send us to th Y.

They have a sauna and steam room so no problemo.!!
    Got in the water to warm up and there was only one lane for swimming laps. As I rounded 500 yds it occured to me that I want to do the 1000 at my meet Feb23. So I picked up the pace and kept going. I clocked my last 2 50s at a 45 on each. I will at least finish! This was a good idea for me as I started slow and finished hard. I usually go into that long stuff going way to fast, konking outing at the end.
    Used their flippers to kick. I have a shortened pair. I felt myself straining my hamstring with their long ones so I stopped. I thought it through and remembered limpin' around all day in the past. Feeling smug for engaging my brain twice during this work out.
    250 kick (only)
    250 pull
    250 back
    250 breast
    3 50s on 1:00
    50 side drill
    200 cool down
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. I literally "kicked" my one mile habit today....

Thanks to this forums help I was encouraged to increase my yardage to 2300. Feeling good.
    400 free
    300 back
    300 breast
    100 IM
    500 flipper kick (this is my extra yardage over mile)
    10 x 50 Free on 1:00 I may be doing this wrong cause I definitely sprint a steady 40 sec on each 50 , rest only 20 seconds. Is this how to do interval training?
    200 cool down
    2300 yards

Updated February 11th, 2009 at 08:57 AM by flippergirl

Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. I just went to my second Masters Swim meet....

I did okay and want to improve my times and distance. I already tried the kill myself during workout and got the sore shoulder and other pulled mucsles. I am now doing a steady 3 times a week 1725 yds of 600 free warm up 300 back 300 breast 500 intervals of 50 on 1 min and a fool around cool down. What should I add to this? I have good endurance and good technique. I am in the 50-54 category. I want to do better! I am a water person since I was on a race team at four.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123