View RSS Feed

AngieK

1. April is Adult Learn-To-Swim Month!! What Will You Do?

We at our Masters club (the Columbia Masters in Howard County, MD) are very excited that the Swimming Saves Lives Foundation has declared April Adult Learn-To-Swim month. We think that many adults would like to learn how to swim, but maybe haven't had an opportunity to do so... Until now. We are using this nationwide campaign as the impetus to develop programs we can use to get interested adults in the pool. And, we hope to expand the opportunities to swim that we already offer. The ability to bring this life (and lifesaving) skill to an adult population is exciting and something we are eager to do.

Has your club offered adult learn-to-swim lessons? Is it a Swimming Saves Lives Foundation partner? If so, what types of programs have you offered. What types of programming is the most popular with your population/in your area?

I would love to hear from you about your Adult Learn-to-Swim successes! Thanks! ~Angie AngieKozBlogs
  2. How Cold is Too Cold - When the Pool Temperature Dips?

There is an almost constant battle at our pool between the Masters swimmers and the Aqua Fitness/pleasure lap swimmers with whom we share our pool over pool water temperatures. Our Masters group would like to have cooler water for our strenuous workouts. This cooler pool water temperature is between 79 and 81 degrees. The Aqua Fitness group is made up of older men and women, who prefer a warmer pool water temperature. The battle raged for what seemed like forever. Finally, it appeared that management was able to mostly appease everyone. They kept one pool, where we have practice, slightly cooler and the other pool is kept quite warm. Now for the mechanical snafu.
    The word came via Twitter and Facebook before practice. It said, basically that the water temperature of the PP (Program Pool, where we practice) is a brisk 76 degrees. You may bring your wetsuit if you so desire. Well, I don't own a wetsuit (yet?). I wasn't sure if I would need one, but I was sure that 76 was about what the projected temperature of Mirror Lake (in Lake Placid) is in August. I am hoping to do the two mile cable swim there at that time. So my first thought was, “Yay! I can find out if I'm going to need to rent a wet suit or not for that swim!” My second thought was, I wonder if it will be too cold for me to swim. I haven't really had a lot of opportunities to swim in colder or "brisk" water. So, I was looking forward to the challenge. It took me a lot longer than usual to warm up, but I guess I sort of eventually did. We had two people leave to swim in the hot pool, which was an awful 86 degrees. I could not practice in water that warm. My skin felt cool the whole practice, but I liked it, I was comfortable. It was so much better than swimming in warm water. When we got out of the pool, the walk to the locker was so much more pleasant. We are usually freezing, but after the chilly water, we were fine. The same was true of the locker room. I could get used to that temperature, I think… At the very least, now I know that I can swim for 75 minutes in 76 degree water. Good to know. What about you? Are you a cold water or warm water swimmer?