Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by UK-David
    Looks good. What do "AE" and "VS" mean in your 100 and 25 sets?
    David,

AE means aerobic. Whatever speed/pace I could hold indefinitely. V.S. stands for "variable sprint". These can be done a couple of different ways:

version 1: #1 - half fast/half EZ, #2 - half EZ/half fast, #3 - all EZ, #4 - all fast
    version 2: #1 - build up to fast, #2 - just the opposite of #1 (start fast and slow down through the distance), #3 - half EZ/half fast, #4 - half fast/half EZ

I have been doing version 2 for the most part in recent months. There are other versions floating around out there also (you may already do something similar or the same but know it by a different name).
    I can't even do a 200 fly short course so I applaud you for stepping up and doing it LCM. I still have vivid memories of my one and only LCM 200 fly as a kid and will never do it again. That is one tough double. Nice job.
    Looks good. What do "AE" and "VS" mean in your 100 and 25 sets?
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Russian roulette apparently.

OMG you are going to DIE! You should always surface at the flags.. and please sign this waiver before you swim because we can't be responsible if you do something stupid like actually push yourself.
    http://forums.usms.org/showthread.ph...rwaters-safely
    O.0 I just read that thread. I will say that I RARELY do an underwater set with no supervision. For instance, in the winter, the SCY pool here has a bubble over it and is "swim at your own risk". During the spring/summer, the LCM pool is also "swim at your own risk". I wouldn't attempt any underwater stuff (the above set, Rouse 100s, etc.)if there was no coach or lifeguard or SOMEONE on the deck whose job it was to (at least occasionally) watch me.

All that being said, I try to push myself on hypoxic/underwater work by speeding up intervals but limiting underwater time. Gone are the days of me doing the old 25^3 (an old underwater hockey training set, 25x25 @ :25 w/ fins under H2O all fast).

"Hypoxic/underwater sets are a necessary evil​."
    "Hypoxic/underwater sets are ______"
    Russian roulette apparently.

So on the 400/300/200 I flipped at both ends for each 25 under H2O. I felt like I was about to pass out by the end of each distance. On the 100s, I did 4/6/2 turns off every wall (4 FL kicks, 6 FR kicks, and 2 strokes before taking first breath).
    OMG you are going to DIE! You should always surface at the flags.. and please sign this waiver before you swim because we can't be responsible if you do something stupid like actually push yourself.
    http://forums.usms.org/showthread.ph...rwaters-safely
    "Hypoxic/underwater sets are ______" (fill in the blank)

Crazy! I don't know how y'all do 'em.
    Hypoxia sets suck big time. Great workout.
    Great job, Calvin!
    I still dream of getting under :60 in the 100 IM, but I need to focus on improving my breaststroke before that will happen..
    Stewart - I have not really made much in the way of meet plans for this summer yet. I have a couple of things potentially going on outside the pool with might limit my training/meet travel. We have two LCM meets here in Little Rock, one May 9-11, and another July 11-13. I may swim in those (with the July one a possible taper meet). I will keep you posted, but for the foreseeable future, I won't be travelling much outside the state of Arkansas.
    Nice meet. I almost registered for this meet but my daughter had a usas dual meet. Are you swimming any meets my way this summer? I am probably going to swim the masters zone meet in Mansfield but it's two weeks before worlds so will be during my taper so not sure how well I will be swimming at that point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Luebke
    I have a solution for that "pace clock at the other end" problem. http://brilliantswim.com/products/pacewatch
    and it's analog!!!! looks kind of bulky though...
    I have a solution for that "pace clock at the other end" problem. http://brilliantswim.com/products/pacewatch
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Great 200 breast. To final at sectionals is a gig achievement. Congratulations.
    Thanks Stewart!
    Great 200 breast. To final at sectionals is a gig achievement. Congratulations.
    Very nice 100 Breast!
    So glad you finally got that monkey off your back! Very nice achievement and you should be thrilled.
    Thanks guys!
    Congratulations on both swims Calvin. Good luck with the rest of your swims.
    Well done Coach Calvin!
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast