Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    I've yelled at for making waves swimming fly cause there hair might get wet.
    I got that complaint once too. From some lady who was right up against the lane line adjacent to my lane. I was doing fast FR kicking and she complained I was splashing her too much. I just ignored her and tried not to make it look like I was intentionally trying to kick harder every time I passed her.
    That's what happens when you get old and overweight - trust me I'm there. haha.

I've been yelled at for making waves swimming fly cause their hair might get wet.
    Updated August 8th, 2018 at 11:44 AM by Sojerz
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge
    Oh, wow. That's some arm burn right there. At least the back squat down and hold is a semi-rest position if you have the mobility.
    I am just glad to see "Sally" is more universal. I thought it was a crazy torture method only my instructor used.

Other people should have to suffer as well!
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    Worst I ever did was a push-up one. But on the down and on the hold, we had to hold push-up ďdownĒ position hovering 3 inches off the floor.

Best one I have done was bicep curls. This one was comparatively speaking, pretty easy as well.

But that push up one? F*** that s***!
    Oh, wow. That's some arm burn right there. At least the back squat down and hold is a semi-rest position if you have the mobility.
    I did "Sally" with 135# back squats once. Never again.
    Worst I ever did was a push-up one. But on the down and on the hold, we had to hold push-up ďdownĒ position hovering 3 inches off the floor.

Best one I have done was bicep curls. This one was comparatively speaking, pretty easy as well.

But that push up one? F*** that s***!
    I did "Sally" with 135# back squats once. Never again.
    I'm surprised Doug isn't at Pan Am Masters!
    Eh, when you break the LCM 50 FR world record, sometimes you earn a nice break :P
    I'm surprised Doug isn't at Pan Am Masters!
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    What is "progressive freestyle"?
    w/ SNKL:
    50 fist drill
    50 swim w/ tennis balls
    50 upside down (or "grab") paddles
    50 swim

A little something I came up with (taking inspiration from other sets I have been given/read about over the years) to work on primarily front catch. Basically, you work your way through increasing resistance, with an emphasis on the forearm catch at the start of the freestyle stroke. Fist drill and tennis ball swim really make you focus on that forearm catch because if you don't, you don't actually go anywhere!

I do the set a few times a week. Sometimes I use it as a sort of "active recovery" filler between rounds of a set. Sometimes I do it as a stand alone set (usually doing 12-20x25). Sometimes, if I get in the water and I am just not feeling it that day, this is ALL I do, just to have SOMETHING to focus/work on.

For LCM I had to do it a little different, I actually do them in sets of 8, 2 at a time, because I can't have equipment at both ends of the pool!
    What is "progressive freestyle"?
    "LCM kicking is the pits"
    You will get no argument from me on that matter!
    I was not very efficient with my time. I was at the LRRC for 90 minutes and only got 3100 done, because I spent a lot of time chatting with the other swimmers who came and went.
    This is one of the privileges of masters swimming and is not a bad thing if not taken to excess.
    I gotcha. I've had a couple groin tweaks since I came back - nothing lingering though thankfully. I also don't swim a whole ton of breaststroke in practice, when I do breaststroke it's shorter race pace type stuff. My aerobic work is freestyle, backstroke and kick. The other variable is I probably don't have nearly the breaststroke kick mileage you do - I was an IMer through college but my other events were backstroke so I trained more of that.
    Agree on the breaststroke mileage point. I think I have been lucky with all the swimming I have done that my body is still in great shape. No serious joint issues. No surgeries to fix overworked appendages. However the one area that is not entirely the case is breaststroke, and I think my years and years of training it, especially the amount I did in college, has finally caught up to me to a degree. For me, racing breaststroke is a microcosm of racing swimming in general for me. If I canít train the way I want to/need to, itís not worth me trying to race in meets. If I canít train breaststroke (at the very least to keep my cadence and feel for the stroke), itís not worth me trying to race it in meets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    Well once I killed the white whale that was breaking 1:00 SCY, I sort of accomplished everything I wanted to with breaststroke. That and my groin, despite constantly rehabbing it and strengthening it, just canít handle any sort of breaststroke training. Also leaves my knees sore, and my ice maker canít keep up wth having to ice both shoulders AND knees after a workout!

If you look back, I did the 100 back in early June, went 1:19. First LCM 100 BR in over 5 years. But even doing MAYBE 400-600 meters of breaststroke each day the week following caused my groin to almost pull when warming up the following week for another 100 BR. Iím just going to have to take it REALLY SLOW with my breaststroke and see how it goes.
    I gotcha. I've had a couple groin tweaks since I came back - nothing lingering though thankfully. I also don't swim a whole ton of breaststroke in practice, when I do breaststroke it's shorter race pace type stuff. My aerobic work is freestyle, backstroke and kick. The other variable is I probably don't have nearly the breaststroke kick mileage you do - I was an IMer through college but my other events were backstroke so I trained more of that.
    What happened to you doing breaststroke events? I could have sworn you were a breaststroker the summer I was down in Little Rock. Good swims this weekend regardless!
    Well once I killed the white whale that was breaking 1:00 SCY, I sort of accomplished everything I wanted to with breaststroke. That and my groin, despite constantly rehabbing it and strengthening it, just canít handle any sort of breaststroke training. Also leaves my knees sore, and my ice maker canít keep up wth having to ice both shoulders AND knees after a workout!

If you look back, I did the 100 back in early June, went 1:19. First LCM 100 BR in over 5 years. But even doing MAYBE 400-600 meters of breaststroke each day the week following caused my groin to almost pull when warming up the following week for another 100 BR. Iím just going to have to take it REALLY SLOW with my breaststroke and see how it goes.
    What happened to you doing breaststroke events? I could have sworn you were a breaststroker the summer I was down in Little Rock. Good swims this weekend regardless!
    Oh, I agree with it not being a sole method of training. And I agree with using equipment to work out stroke mechanics and such and not completely dismissing good tools as "toys."

I put a lot of muscle on doing CrossFit and weightlifting during my swimming hiatus - I'm not a 400 IMer anymore and I don't think my body would let me be regardless of if I wanted to or not unless I committed to losing a lot of weight. I'm a sprinter now - and a better sprinter than I was even in college, somehow. But having been a 400 IMer previously, I have no idea how to train sprints (I could see that easily in how utterly sloppy some of my race videos were at Nationals), and the "coaches" that I have had in Masters are either geared toward club swimming or the more fitness side of Masters. So, I'm just trying to learn as much as I can.

I do still need to build back more aerobic base. That's what this summer is for as I'm not planning on doing any meeting until short course season comes back around. That and building some leg strength back up on a squat program.
    Yeah Iím on a comeback trail that began in January. Iím sort of the same in that Iím just building back a base. Not a lot of pace stuff, not a lot of speed stuff for right now. I want to make it through the LCM season and use it as a fitness phase. Once September/October rolls around, Iíll start really trying to work the speed angle. I too wasnít much of a sprinter growing up, in college, or beyond, except when called upon to answer the bell on a relay. Case(s) in point: Iíve split 29.5 LCM 50 breast on a relay, but wasnít much under 31 with a 30.8 lifetime best flat start. In college I was 21.6 on a 200 free relay, mid season. Never been below 22.6 flat start. Some of that is relay takeoffs, but I just canít naturally sprint. I need a relay to really get me juiced up.

@Jeff I am also holding off on weight lifting for now. I do my Total Body Conditioning class and my CORE7 class once a week each, but given how sluggish LCM swimming already feels, and given that the back half of the 2017-2018 SCY season came when I was only just starting to swim again, I passed on weights figuring they would slow my process of finding a feel for the water again. Come September, Iíll get back to weights.

I did find much success doing CrossFit with the club team back from 2012-2014!
    Oh, I agree with it not being a sole method of training. And I agree with using equipment to work out stroke mechanics and such and not completely dismissing good tools as "toys."

I put a lot of muscle on doing CrossFit and weightlifting during my swimming hiatus - I'm not a 400 IMer anymore and I don't think my body would let me be regardless of if I wanted to or not unless I committed to losing a lot of weight. I'm a sprinter now - and a better sprinter than I was even in college, somehow. But having been a 400 IMer previously, I have no idea how to train sprints (I could see that easily in how utterly sloppy some of my race videos were at Nationals), and the "coaches" that I have had in Masters are either geared toward club swimming or the more fitness side of Masters. So, I'm just trying to learn as much as I can.

I do still need to build back more aerobic base. That's what this summer is for as I'm not planning on doing any meeting until short course season comes back around. That and building some leg strength back up on a squat program.
    Are you going to do more USRPT with Blair? I'd like to see how that looks, might be good to integrate that into my training when I get back to racing season in the fall.
    Eh...it's not really a philosophy I subscribe to. I respect there is more than one way to skin a cat when it comes to swimming training. I can appreciate that people like Michael Andrew and Josh Davis have found so much success using USRPT as their sole training regiment, but I don't buy into it being part of a worldwide revolution.

When Blair invites me to train with him, if he is doing an USRPT set, I will happily partake. But as for incorporating more of it into my workouts, I doubt it. For me, I will stick to what has worked for me for years: a solid load of aerobic work interspersed with anaerobic and VO2 MAX sets when needed. My plan is to get up and race at least once a week this summer. So last week, with no meet to swim in, I did the 6x100 @ 5:00 from the blocks. This weekend I will do another dive set. Then the next two weeks I have meets I am swimming in.

I will add that individual USRPT sets, by themselves, can be great training tools for me. I use them myself and used them when I was a college coach. I just didn't use them day in and day out as the sole method of training. Also I don't like the "no toys" policy. I love my toys. As one can see from my workouts, I incorporate most of my mesh bag's contents into each practice.
    Are you going to do more USRPT with Blair? I'd like to see how that looks, might be good to integrate that into my training when I get back to racing season in the fall.
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast