WORKOUT
    06 x 50 on 2:00 DFS as free / back by 25
    10 x 25 on 0:90 DFS free hypoxic
    • easy sprint
    • 16 - 17's

10 x 25 on 1:00 DFS free hypoxic

• easy sprint
    • 16 - 17's

21 x 25 on 0:45 Drill, F as HUDKF / one arm with fist - L / one arm with fist - R by 25
    30 x 25 on 0:40 sprint free, F, S
    • 17 descend to 15, 14 on final

Today marks the beginning of a 2 - 3 week hypoxic adaptation block, with 4 more weeks of like-based maintenance (one set per session) to follow, as I work to sharpen speed. I am targeting a June 7 LCM meet.

Developed one of those skin tears behind the callus of my left big toe and need to avoid dives until it heals.

Weights: Legs and shoulders
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. 04|13|14 SCM and dryland stuff

Started to swim yesterday but after a few lengths my body just was not up to it, and neither was my enthusiasm. Felt cruddy and the shoulders felt weak and tired. Left the pool.

On the other hand I did a little running which consisted of 15 minutes of sprinting up to speed thenback off to a walk (10 seconds run 20 seconds walk). I also ran 1.58 miles on Friday. Just enjoying the weather before it is too hot and humid.

SCM
    15 x 25 DFS free on 2:00
    • work the entry and breakout
    • easy on first several then moderate sprint for the rest of them

15 x 15M DFS free on 1:00
    • streamlined entry

Weights afterwards
    • snatches
    • single arm dumbell bench
    • single arm rack rows

need to stop doing snatches - too dangerous (left shoulder a little twingy and lower back close to spasming out)
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. 04|10|14 LCM

WARMUP
    10 x 13M free on 0:30
    • 10's

SET1
    10 x 13M free on 0:30
    • 7's

SET2
    20 x 13M kick on 0:30
    • 9's

SET3
    10 x 13M HUDKF on 0:30
    • 8's

DRILL
    1000 various, F, S

Updated April 10th, 2014 at 06:38 PM by __steve__

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. 04|09|14 scm

WARMUP / DRILL
    1000 various F
    DIVE / DRILL / GLIDE
    33 x 12.5 @ 0:45 - 1:00 DFS free
    • Relay style (hang ten toes, hands free and fixed together)
    • Track style every second (left foot forward)
    • Track style every third (right foot forward)

Recovery based, muscle memory and form minded, light yet speedy type of workout.

Realizing the dive entry for me is quite a fine line between entering with arms and shoulders too flat, or with hands digging downward. To get it just right it seems I must let the hands dig just lightly upon entry following with a quick upward with forward thrusting counter pressure, then follow through spearlike. I had just two of them feel like that, both were with the relay style. If possible I need to master this ability then input it into the track style. This is why I've been doing alot of them. To help, I've been launching with light effort so the joints can hold up long enough to make forward progress (as the opposite can happen easily).

Also kept close attention to glide - kick transition, to first arm pull and body position, first stroke breakout and subsequent armstroke cycle, while trying to keep peak streamline a constant programmed thing.

Updated April 9th, 2014 at 09:13 PM by __steve__

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. 04|08|14 SCM and drylands

8 x 25 free on 0:40
    • 20's`

8 x 25 free on 0:40
    • 16's

5 x 50 free on 2:00 25 AFAP / 25 recovery
    • 14's high

5 x 50 FK on 2:00 25 AFAP / 25 recovery
    • 20, 22, 22, 22, 22

Still a little tired. Also only managed 4.5 hours of sleep (I usually get 7-8) because of a 9am dental.

16 is my max speed for 25's done USRP. The only way to make it work would be with 12.5 - 15M reps

On the FK AFAP's, the acidosis really kicked in and hurt on the last 5M of each except the first. The Free AFAP's created LA too, but not the painful type, was more paralyzing, but on just the last two reps.

Concentrated on turning the recovery faster and getting up on surface all the way to the kick, and I did find it to be faster (unless I'm showing a training effect). But I'm not certain this would be feasible on a LC50, as this is my all-out CP swim - good for about 20M.

Dryland Amendment:

4 x 200 run on 1:00

• 43, 42, 45, 46 (slow because of the 5 x 25 AFAP FK)

5 each depth jumps from 18" using 4 resistance bands with kit

Leg extensions, leg curls, calf raises, and RC dumbells

Updated April 8th, 2014 at 08:47 PM by __steve__

Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. 04|07|14 - post 1.6 atm SCM swim

15 x 50 on 1:30 DFS, F, 25 easy sprint free / 25 easy kick
    10 x 15 on 1:00 DFS, easy sprint free
    10 x 12.5 on 0:40 DFS, easy sprint free

This swim left me completely depleted. Though I took yesterday off, I am in dept for recovery due to work last night. Every so often we need to pressurize the aircraft to check various systems and what-not. Unfortunately we must be inside of it while this is being done, which requires exposure to 8.5 psi over atm. I found that it just adds to the overall required recovery of sorts, and workouts just before or after these checks seem to push me into the toasted zone. Felt fine this morning but this brief swim did me in. I was expecting this however, from prior experiences.

It is impressive the stress these aircraft can endure when considering the volume of compressed air in addition to other major stress loads.

Updated April 7th, 2014 at 04:50 PM by __steve__

Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. 4|5|14 scm

10 x 25 free on 2:00 DFS
    10 x 25 free/kick on 2:00 DFS
    15 x 10 DFS and glide on 0:30
    10 easy dives

Stumbled over an old mountain biking picture from Sep 1996 on the net (Snowbasin Utah).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ogden 1996 blog.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	8567
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ogden 1996 4 blog.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	8568

Updated April 6th, 2014 at 10:01 PM by __steve__

Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. 4|4|14 SCM on 20 seconds rest

ultra short warmup as 16 x 25 with 20 seconds rest

14 x 15m fast / 10m easy with 20 sec rest (10 sec sprint /10 sec easy on 40's)

16 x 25 flutter kick on 20 sec rest
    • 23-28

16 x 25 HUDKF with fins on 20 sec rest

200 easy

Updated April 5th, 2014 at 07:41 PM by __steve__

Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. 04|03|14 LCM

WARMUP
    500 various, F, S

SET I
    50 free fast for time, S
    • 32 flat, pushed

450 easy various, S, F

SET II
    50 FK for time, S (50 easy)
    • 44 mid PB

4 x 50 FK on 1:30, S
    • 1:06, 1:12, 1:14, 1:08

SET III
    40 x 20M free on 0:30 [push off + 2 sprint strokes and flip (~10m out), easy kick back]

Another awsome day outside, was feeling motivated so I drove the extra 10 min to the LCM pool to make an attempt on a FK50. I took freestyle kicks instead of dolpin kicks off the wall for the 50FK (for time), which are faster for me. It was accomplished without board and with snorkel, and it did hurt near the end.

Updated April 3rd, 2014 at 04:38 PM by __steve__

Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. 04|02|14 SCM

Gosh, this SCM pool is sooo tough to motivate myself in. Nonswimmer poolmates, cloudy water, my overusage of it (perhaps 280+ times a year). But it's convienient.

WARMUP
    20 x 25 free, S on 0:30
    • 20's

DRILL/KICK
    15 x 50 on 1:00 as 25 drill / 25 kick, F
    • drill was one arm fist on a BR, L, R, BL air schedule / easy kick on back

Drylands
    Snatches with added band resistance (jump kit) 4 x 4 reps

• proped barbell about 14" off ground on starting position to keep back happy
    • worked up to 4 bands and 85lbs

pushups with added band resistance 4 x 10 reps

Updated April 2nd, 2014 at 09:15 PM by __steve__

Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. 04|01|14 SCM and drylands!

Pool
    WARMUP
    500 various
    KICK
    50 FK for time with snorkel

• 0:43

SPRINT/KICK/DRILL
    18 x 50 on 1:30 as 25 fast / 25 drill
    • odd fasts - free - 16 - 17's
    • even fasts - FK - 22 - 23's

Still have an overall fatigued feeling not unlike a fever. I suspect I am still recovering from working on the car over the weekend.

USRP Drylands:
    Weights:
    Iso Lateral rows, triceps, pullovers, leg extensions and curls, calfs, and dumbel clean-jumps (to 10 reps with 45's)

Running:
    4 x 200M on 1:00
    • 38, 38, 42, 46 (nice lung burn)

Stationary spin bike:
    20 x level 13 - 15 (whichever it lands on) on 0:30
    • 7 - 10 second AFAP efforts

Streching and RC stuff

I plan to test the USRP philosophy on running for my 1.5 mile run test this October. As a drop-dead fleet swimmer, I really have no purpose for it other than a change in motions, variety, or condensing a set due to time constraints. But applying it on my feet once a week seems simple and straight forward. It could provide a conclusion that bare minimal running using the USRP method is better than my prior minimal run training. Last year I estimate that I ran about 30 net miles in preparation for the 1.5 mile run.

Using USRP as 200's on 1:00, working up from 4 x 200 (just under half mile) to, perhaps, 16 x 200 by October should net me close to the 30 net miles I had from last year. Unfortunately my test last year, though timed, was only done half-ass (12:25ish), as I didn't really feel like running hard and furthermore wasn't under pressure to do so. But if I can knock a minute off that from just a 1 mile/week base, it would be safe to conclude the USRP method would hold it's recent reputation in the running world.

The equivalent RP in my above strategy is also much faster than what I will run the 1.5, more like a 800 RP, but if I did tailor it for the actual distance it might slow my swimming

Updated April 1st, 2014 at 09:43 PM by __steve__

Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. 3|31|14 SCM

WARMUP
    20 x 50 on 1:00 free - F, (plus S on 6 thru 20)
    • eight were 35's, two were 33 - 34, the rest I descended to 35 (from 40) and ascended from 35 (to 40)

SPRINT/KICK
    15 x 16.7M on 0:90 AFAP, DFS, alternate FK and free (also did a few UWF and DK)
    10 x 12.5M on 1:00 AFAP free
    10 x 12.5M on 0:45 AFAP free

Had two days of no swimming. I spent the weekend working on one of our cars. It has close to 200K mi on it, so many of the rear suspension and stabilizing parts have worn and disintegrated rubber bushings. I didn't want to pay someone to have it done and furthermore do not trust their work, especially on this vehicle which has stuck bolts and corroded, hard-to-remove parts. I have been cheated too many times by mechanics neglecting to replace hard to get to, and hidden parts, seals, and gaskets, or whatever else they can get away with. I have a long list these encounters (in fact, not one fully successful experience where corners weren't cut), all of which have resulted in additional problems later on.

So I, once again, embarked on a major automotive repair adventure, with limited tools and equipment. One bolt had a 19mm nut stuck so bad that it became destroyed - had to grind it off while under the car. The bushings I replaced, I discover, were designed to be pushed in by a 1000+ psi hydraulic press - ended up beating them in with a 20 lb dumbell like a hammer. But I had to sandwich it between custom cut lumber pieces, taking due care not to destroy them in the process. Started project Saturday afternoon, was up to 1:30 am Sunday morning and finished Sunday afternoon before work. When I washed there was a layer of sand and metal shavings in the tub. No blood drawn though! Also did some gardening on Sunday to cleanse the mind. My body felt like tired, beaten flesh, but not injured. I'm about 80% today. Probably saved me over $500 laybor costs doing it myself, and I have peace knowing it was done thoroughly.

On a side note the microscopic antigenic pollen this spring is the worst I have ever experienced. Started out with a sore throat, then it went nasal, and now it's in the lungs but I'm getting over it.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. 3|28|14 SCM

Did drylands on 3|27 and blasted lower body with a combination of dumbells and my vertical jump bands.

It went like this - hold dumbells at knee level with knees bent, clean dumbells to shoulders (not over head) while jumping forcefully, then land. Without keeping weights up at shoulders too long, let them free fall and swing yourself back to starting position. The complete movement requires no static spots to carry momentum.

did 4 sets of 10 working up to 35 lb dumbells using all 4 elastic bands
    also did elastic band loaded planks with a rig which took 5 minutes to setup

SCM 3|28

WARMUP
    10 x 50 on 1:00 free, strict form with full awareness
    KICK
    4 x 25 FK AFAP on 3:00, 19, 19, 19, 20 (blah!)

• disappointed as I thought I would actually do at least one in a dignifying manner then realized, though my legs weren't sore they must have been toast from the leg workout prior (which is why they were mentioned, as excuse)

SPRINT DRILL
    10 x 50 on 1:00, F, S - as 25 HUDKF AFAP/ 25 easy

• gratifying for me to accomplish this one, 11 of them would have caused spontaneous auto-ignition

Left the pool on a good note as if I accomplished something in pursuit for faster swimming, despite a disappointing kick test set.

Fortress was totally 99+% accurate with her warning against the distance swimming I did for 3 weeks following my meet. 3 weeks of distance swimming has taking even longer for me to regain my speed. Interestingly though, is flutter kicking did not get affected. Only did my raw free sprinting slowed. Maybe because of the differences in fiber types, and the differences in loads on legs between fast and slow swimming vs the upper body's differences.

Winter is finally behind! As well, our 2013 taxes (I use turbotax) are behind. Appears I underestimated by the equivalent of a decade of tech suits (ouch). Taxes are funny, we would've been much better off if we made equivalent, just a dozen or so tech suits less. Nevertheless, I have just one tech suit, it has been used for two swim meets, and I plan on keeping it around to race in for at least another year. I estimate that the following tech suit might make it to see 50 - 54 racing.

Updated March 29th, 2014 at 12:24 PM by __steve__

Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. 3|26|14 SCM 56 minutes

WARMUP/MAIN
    20 x 25 on 0:30 fr/fk, S
    • alternate free and flutter kick each 25

20 x 25 on 0:30 fr, S
    • brisk breakout/stroke transition, easy to wall
    • left shoulder getting a little loose

150 easy

KICK
    8 X 12.5 fk on 1:00 AFAP, S
    • arms back (to rest shoulders)
    • from dig, at pool center
    • 13 - 15's

10 x 25 FK on 1:00, moderate - fast, hold form and narrow kick
    • 22 - 26's

250 continuous FK, S
    • sprint kick to ~ 1 - 2 seconds before acidosis then hold an easy kick, repeat
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. 3|25|14 SCM (weights yesterday)

WARMUP/DRILL
    1000 of drills, free and br S
    MAIN
    10 x 12.5M on 1:00 DFS fr AFAP
    2 x 25 on 2:00 fr AFAP
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. 3|24|14 LCM today and dryland yesterday

yesterday

1. 400 easy run
    2. 4 x 200M fast run on 20 seconds rest
    3. stretching and hip calisthenics

today*
    WARMUP (DRILL)

KICK
    50 FK for time S / 50 easy K

• 45 mid - high (PB)

2 x 20M on 1:00FK AFAP / 20M easy

SPRINT
    50 free fast F (fins)

• breathed about 7 times

Did not plan to set a FK PB today since my legs weren't 100% from yesterday's run, but I did the trial in a controlled fashion in case I got lucky, as I did (must be a good day). During the FK I did make a few counterproductive mistakes, so maybe I have a 44 high in me now with luck.

Still have a plan to set some SCM FK times later this week.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. 3|21|14 SCM, pursuit for speed

WARMUP
    SETS
    4 x 100 on 3:00 as 50 fast free / 50 easy (on 1:00 F)
    10 x 50 on 3:00 alternate between 25 AFAP free / 25 easy, and 25 HUDKF S / 25 easy
    20 x 12.5M on 1:00, DFS free
    • 7s

The DFS frees utilized a consistent, precise, however an inaccurate timing scheme [@ pace clock straight up, do a relay start dive from side and sprint all out a few strokes, stop and view clock when 12.5M marker is in perpendicular sight (viewing straight down at bottom of shallow pool)]. Can probably cut a full second for real time.

Below is a clip from 3/20. Noticed several things to fix with breaking transition. First is I rotate too early on first pull.
    Second is I hold streamline behind head too long such that my hands pop out of water before strokes. I should keep them tight but while slowly angling down so that my first stroke cycle starts at normal depth. This is a breakthrough in itself as I always had trouble in this area but couldn't pin it down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3xvqoeeIgU

Updated March 22nd, 2014 at 11:50 AM by __steve__

Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. 3|20|14 LCM

WARMUP
    500 free S

KICK
    50 FK for time
    • 46 high (47)

8 X 100 FK on 4:00 S (50 fast / 50 easy) as disciplinary action for not improving kick today
    • 52, 55, 52, 50, 53, 51, 53, 54 (on fasts)

SPRINT
    16 x 13M easy fr sprint (filmed for review)
    15 x 13M on 0:20 hypoxic fr, easy sprint
    10 x 13M on 0:30 hypoxic fr, easy sprint

GLIDES
    12 x 13M streamline glides

Weights and plyometrics yesterday.

Beautiful outside today, perfect day to realize I was born exactly 48 years ago.

Updated March 20th, 2014 at 01:42 PM by __steve__

Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. 3|18|14 LCM

WARMUP
    1000 free and drills, S

KICK

50 FK for time, S
    • hair under 0:46

500 FK with board, S
    • flutter kick fast just to acidosis (~10 seconds) then rest 20 seconds, repeated about 37 times

SPRINT
    44 x 13M free, 20 sec rest

50 free kinda fast / 50 easy, F, S

1722M

I wonder if there are differences in proportions of energy systems utilized between the arm stroke and kick. I seem to have more fast twitch density in my legs than upper body. Not sure if this is genetic, typical, from external factors, or just due to the nature of swimming (or combination), but though they have different jobs (with same goal), they sure respond and behave differently.

I haven't continued with my Maglischo reading in months, about time to hit it again.

My team head coach emailed this out a few weeks ago, a reinforcing perspective on kicking from Gary Hall Sr:

I have often heard the question, what contributes more to a swimmerís overall speed, the swimming kick or pull? Of course, the answer depends on the strength and technique of each component, but for most reasonably good swimmers, I would say that the swim kick makes a bigger contribution to overall swim speed than the pull.
    How can that be, particularly if one can pull 50 meters in 35 seconds and kick it in 40 seconds? Letís analyze the two.
    First, one must realize that from both the swimming kick and the swim pulling motion, there is a contribution toward propulsion and another toward frontal drag (there is also one toward lift, but we will ignore that for the moment). Even with a very strong kick, few would dispute that the propulsion power is greater from the pulling motion than from the kick. However, when the kick is done properly (tight and fast), the pulling motion is also a much greater contributor to frontal drag, the forces that slow a swimmer down.
    The two major factors that determine the amount of frontal drag that is imposed on a swimmer moving through the water are the shape of the object and the speed of the object. Our shape is certainly influenced by our pulling and kicking technique, but letís assume that we have already figured out that kicking tighter and faster and pulling with a high elbow will reduce frontal drag as much as possible. The only factor really left then is speed and, because of the high density of water, even small increases in speed result in large increases in frontal drag for a given non-streamlined shape, like a swimmer doing freestyle.
    When we add the swimming kick to the pull to create the entire swimming motion, the increase in speed (even if slightly greater than our pulling speed) is enough to add significantly to the frontal drag imposed by our pulling motion (mostly from the upper arm). The net effect is that for a reasonably good kicker, the net speed of the swim kick is actually greater than the net speed of the pull, when both are used together.
    Letís look at an example.
    I am currently training a swimmer from Ireland, Andy Hunter, who is trying to qualify for the Commonwealth Games in 2014. A few weeks ago, he swam in a 50 meter sprint at Ft. Lauderdale in the same heat as Cesar Cielo. Both were unshaved, but neither swimmer has a lot of body hair. Cesar swam 22.0 and Andy swam 25.7 and finished over 8 meters behind him.
    When he got out of the pool, Andy, who is over 30 years old and very strong upper body, asked me, ďHow can he beat me by 8 meters in a 50 meter race?Ē Here is how I explained it.
    Andy kicks a 50 meters with a board all out in 45 seconds (baseline speed of 1.1 m/sec), while Cesar kicks 50 meters in 30 seconds (baseline speed of 1.66 m/sec). Assuming that in the 50 both swimmers are kicking at maximum speed, when you add the net speed from propulsion and frontal drag of the pull to Cesarís kick speed, it adds .64 m/sec to reach 2.3 m/sec. For Andy, because his baseline speed is slower, the pull actually contributes more net speed to his overall speed than Cesar, adding .83 m/sec to reach 1.9 m/sec. Even so, his overall speed is about .4 m/sec slower than Cesarís, all because of the difference in kicking speed. By the time Cesar finishes his 22 seconds of swimming, gaining .4meters every second, he is now 8.8 meters ahead of Andy. The difference in swimming kick speed is what separated them.
    It is no surprise that Andy has been working very hard on his swim kick using kick sets, stretching and dryland/strength sets. As of last month, he had gotten his 50 kick time with a board down to 38 seconds or 1.3 m/sec and not surprisingly, he swam a shaved 50 meter in 23.3 secondsÖa huge improvement.
    Most coaches and swimmers do not understand nor appreciate how important the swimming kick speed is to the overall swim speed. Nor do they work the legs enough in practice. The legs really donít get a recovery period during the race and they are moving at 3 times (or arguably 6 times, if one considers the upkick) the rate of the arms. The legs are essentially working constantly, kicking in both directions. The arms get a few important tenths of a second of recovery on each cycle. Relative to the arms, the legs must be much fitter in order to sustain their fast motion throughout the race.
    When swimmers or parents ask me what it is that makes Michael Phelps, Ryan Lochte, Missy Franklin or Cesar Cielo so fast, the answer is in their swimming kick. Work your legs in practice and get yourself a faster swim kick and a faster swim.
    -Gary Hall Sr.

Updated March 18th, 2014 at 10:00 PM by __steve__

Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. 3|16|14 SCM 32 minutes

31 x 50 free on 1:00, F, S
    strict and efficient pushoffs, breakout, turns and a light streamline sprint stroke and kick
    • mid - high 30's

Updated March 16th, 2014 at 03:43 PM by __steve__

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast