View RSS Feed

Uncategorized

Entries with no category

1. 4|26|16 SCM

Easy swimming yesterday mostly with fins doing drills and what-not. Did accomplish a few sprinted 12.5's, one supersonic flip turn, one 25m flutter kick blast with some degree of taper guilt, but I should be OK.

Roughly the same today but replaced the drills with dives from sides + UW flips, about 20 easy 15.6m turn drills with varying number of strokes leading in (to be ready for anything going in wall), and midpool and static flips forward and reverse, on side, etc, until I became seasick.

New Product review
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gear.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	10408

I like the MP snorkel so much better than the finis. It stays put, has better flow, doesn't catch, drag, or move around on the head. It fits very snugly is quite comfortable, and the strap ratchet seems well engineered and durable (unlike finis IMO). The only thing I needed to get accustomed to was the mouthpiece, which is a little bulky and made clearing water after UW's different. Was just a brief learning curve however.

The Arena fins are very similar to the Hydro Tech II's I've been using for several years, but not as wide or long. They have less grip to walk in and not as propulsive either. But the best part is that they fit me: The Hydro's are cut to fit feet with big toes that are shorter then the adjacent toes (weird feet IMO) which required me to modify them because of cramped space, and even then my toes were still getting beat up. The Arena on the other hand, has a drain in the area so my big toe sticks out and are finally liberated.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. 4|24|16 scm

Took yesterday off. Made the 240 mile drive to move daughter's stuff from dorm room for summer, which included a loft. Left home around noon and returned after 2 am. Easy swim today:

750 easy fr with fins
    30 x 15.3m turn drill on 0:20
    • alternate through 2, 3, and 4 strokes into wall, turn, and glide back

Went to chiropractor for first time ever on Friday. My hope was to relieve some of the right arm issues (shoulder, forearm, wrist and hand pain, numbness, tingling) with no success. However, I can't remember the last time my neck has felt so relieved. Must have been over ten years like that and I became used to it.

We're getting excited about our summer vacation in the south Caribbean. My wife's native land, and my place of rest and enjoyment. Will be the first time just the two of us go, so it may take getting used to. Already been swimoutletting in preparation:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gear.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	349.4 KB 
ID:	10407
    Haven't bought the MF yet, still deciding on size. Due to fitting reviews I may get the XXL (12.5+) even though my feet are just 11's. My feet are unusually wide, and my big toes are the leading edge and tend to get squished in closed toe fins.

Plan to use the MP snorkel for pool training as a twist (been buying finis's every year for awhile), then modify my current finis snorkel into a GoPro mounted, snorkeling device as I successfully did last year. Makes for ideal OW/snorkeling/beginner free diving combination. Maybe even use the MF as such too, for an interesting boost.

The Buoy will come in handy for regular OW swimming through traffic areas. Many times in the past where I could've used one.

Updated April 24th, 2016 at 10:31 PM by __steve__

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. 4|21|16 SCM

500 easy
    10 x 15-20 fr on 1:00 easy sprint
    12 x 15 on fr 0:40 easier sprint
    Drills

30 min of stretching

Left shin is completely well, and my left adductor/lower abdomen problem is not bothering me as of yesterday. Looked back at my blogs to pinpoint that the adductor/lower abdomen injury had plagued me since last May!

Right arm hurts though, from hand to shoulder. At the back of the shoulder a muscle keeps twitching itself, but the arm feels better when it does - now that's weird.

90F water provided fastest average pace in 100m event over 79F and 68F. Whereas submaxial swims showed less of a change except HR. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/8350604/
    I bet 50s would show even a greater proportional temp/speed relationship

Updated April 23rd, 2016 at 02:18 PM by __steve__

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. 4|20|16 SCM

7 x (3 x 25 fr on 0:20) on 3:00
    • each first 25 was dive-from-side and nb

8 x 12.5 fr (D-F-S) / 12.5 br on 1:00

Did a lot of stretching and RC last night
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. 4|19|16 SCM

Warmup with an easy nb sprint from a side dive

30 x 25 nb fr on 1:00
    • modest, but quick sprint every 2 ea
    • closed fists with fins every other 2 ea

7 x 25 fr on 0:40, very easy and slow

Shin did improve other day, but still the same today and can't kick hard yet. Daily activities irritate it. Also seems warmer and slightly enlarged compared to the other. It's like I'm made of glass or something.

Maybe a good thing - will have fresh legs in 10 days
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. 4|18|16 flipped out

300m easy kick

100m broken, easy fr sprint

4 x 50 on ?:?? as 12.5 flutter/12.5 br/ 12.5 fr/12.5 UWDK

20 x 15.3m TD on 0:30
    • flipped UW to develop rollspeed

40 x 5m on 0:15 UW push and flip (arms back)

50m of forward flips

50 ez fr sprint with fins/snorkel

Illness has fizzled out, just mild chest crud remains, plan to get rid of that outside tonight. Left front shin also improving.

Re-insulated attic this weekend with 12 bags of non-fiberglass stuff. Yoga allowed me to accomplish this task effectively and without injury.

Drylands:
    Hack squats
    Pushups (hands/feet on blocks) with elastic resistance (about 55 at top)
    Negative pull-ups
    shoulders
    torso
    lower back
    back of legs

Updated April 18th, 2016 at 10:22 PM by __steve__

Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. 4|15|16 SCY

Been sick for 2.5 days. Took yesterday off but did moderate drylands. this afternoon I hit a SCY pool as a driveby while passing one up running errands. Asked if I could use blocks (nope), then was kicked out by a team after 30 minutes (even though I paid $5).

Easy 50 fr's

A few fast 25's

ez bk-br-fr

50 nb easy sprint - 29

Drills with fins and snorkel

Since Monday my left lower shin has been irritating me. It is mild and chronic while walking, using clutch, easy swimming, so forth, but the pain is sharp when kicking all-out. I believe it was from working 18 straight hours on Sunday wearing steel toe combat boots the first half, and heavy steel-toe doc martins the second half. I'm on my feet constantly when we're busy (walking across flightline, pushing stands, etc), and we've been busy lately (have a random tempo). Just happy to finally get a break. I plan to spray insulation throughout attic tomorrow, maybe not. But it must be done before the heat comes.

Updated April 15th, 2016 at 10:04 PM by __steve__

Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. 4|12|16 SCM and some drylands

SCM 30 minutes

Swim-turn-swim as fr, starting without wall, 20 ea on 0:30
    • Started 5m from wall, ea time working up to 12.5m, then back down to 5m

Run (parallel with side) and dive (about 11m out), sprint and turn
    • 5 on about 2:00

12 x 15.3m dive and UW turn in 7.7m wide area
    • dive, pull L, pull R and turn with body mostly under surface

4 x 50 fr on 1:00 with fins and snorkel, easy but on top of water

The last effort of the day I decided to flip-turn as fast as I can. 1st time I turned and pushed so quick. It's about timing and then actually making an effort, but correctly.

Drylands: shoulders, RC, torso, and stretching

Updated April 12th, 2016 at 10:56 PM by __steve__

Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. 4|11|16 SCM

10 x 50 on 2:00 as [12.5 (turn) 12.5 fr - fast], [12.5 br (turn) 12.5 fr or bk - easy]

10 x 75 on 3:00 as 12.5 easy 12.5 (turn) 12.5 fr - fast, 12.5 br (turn) 25 fr or bk - easy

4 x 50 fr with fins and snorkel on 1:30

4 x 25 dolphin fr with fins and snorkel

Felt no connection with water. Feel a loss of structure to my training. Just how I feel at moment, maybe only partly true and I'm just recovering from weekend.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. 4|10|16 SCM and drylandz

Quick swim during my lunch (which I extended)

10 x 25 fr nb on 2:00 dive from side fr with fins fast

25 flutter kick AFAP 19 (very slow time)

10 x 25 fr nb on 1:00 with fins

Drylands on my lunch break for other job (slightly extended)

5:05 min on treadmill set to 9 MPH

1 x 32 of #55's DBBP

Several sets of various med/light weight lat exercises with no rest

1 x 20 of 180 Hack squat machine

Leg curls and leg extensions med/light

abs for about 5 min

Worked yesterday. Came in this morning @ 6:55am, still have about an hour to go for tonight (11:30pm). At least I had to take 1.5 hours of leave where the two shifts overlap.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. 4|8|16 SCY slippery block pool

I never look forward to the pain of AFAP 50's from block

warmed up for 15 minutes with fins

50 #1 (track start)
    • 26 low
    • back foot slipped
    • took one breath back
    • even split the 25's lol

https://youtu.be/48ZvN-3f390

10 min eazy with fins

50 #2 (grab start)
    • 26 flat
    • one breath

10 min easy with fins

50 #3 (grab start)
    • 25 high maybe
    • took 2 breaths, 2nd half
    • felt the lactate but still fastest swim

https://youtu.be/osopnuFY76w
    10 min easy

25 AFAP with fins

Haven't tried grab start in 2 yrs, might be faster for me and worth returning to.

The last 50 was the fastest, but oddly I was already toasted, and I even had to take 2 breaths for it (less oxygen from increased LA). This just supports the notion that minor changes in the start (or turn) will have a significant impact on overall time, whereas swimming tired has less impact than expected. Hell, the 2 breaths I took (clearly seen in video) were more like gasps, and furthermore taken out of streamline. Maybe the first (slowest) 50 simply had the worst start but fastest swim. In media player, if I pause the vid of it midway my feet are in the air turning.

Lesson, treat entire 50 race as nothing more than a solid start with a good turn

Updated April 9th, 2016 at 12:39 PM by __steve__

Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. 4|5|16 & 4|6|16

SCM 4|4

(forgot details but it included IM turns)

15 x 25 or 50 on 5:00

5 x 50 on 3:00

DRYLANDS: Weights / BW (Lower body, chest, back), stretching

SCM 4|5

7 x 35 on 2:00
    • nb fr, fast

2 x 35 on 3:00
    • nb fr, faster

10 x 20 on 1:00
    • 10m fr - turn - 10m fr
    • 10m br - turn - 10m fr
    • 10m fr - turn - 10m fr
    • 10m br - turn - 10m bk
    • repeat above 1.5 x

4 x 20 on 0:30
    • 10m fr - turn - 10m fr

2 x 25m flutter kick from side dive AFAP on about 2:00

DRYLANDS: Weights (RC, shoulders, triceps), stretching

SCM 4|6

8 x 50 fr on 1:00 (warmup)
    • high 40's build to high 30's
    • I shouldn't bother with these aerobic warmups anymore (need to take Fort's advice more often). This simple set nearly drained shoulders.

5 x 50 fr on 3:00
    • 15m ez - 20m fast - 15m ez
    • 40's flat

5 x 50 fr on 3:00
    • 15m ez - 20m fast - 15m med
    • 30's mid+

20 fast = (10m)(turn)(10m)
    25m flutter kick from side dive AFAP

23m UWDK

25 ex kick

DRYLANDS: Weights (Lower body, back, chest) 30 min, stretching

Plan to make it to the SCY pool with flimsy blocks on Friday. Will bring the GoPro. Have weekend warrior duty this weekend which means I must work a double shift on Sunday.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. 4|3|16 SCM

warmed up

6 x 100 fr on 4:00 - 6:00
    • 1:30, :18, :17, :17, :18, :17

3 x 25 fr + turn + breakout and 2 strokes on 5:00

10 x 22.5 on 1:00 as 15m fr + turn + breakout and 3 strokes

25m AFAP flutter kick 0:17

Filmed the stuff above to figure out what my problem is during my turns (they need work). I'm wasting time transitioning into the flip and once the feet are planted I waste time before I push. I also miss my timing most of the time, either too close where I shoot towards the bottom, or even (less often) too far where my legs are already locked

I don't have my exact times from the meet yesterday but know as much as I need to LOL

My 50 fr yesterday was way too slow - I didn't see the guy to my left going in, but he was right there ahead of me off the wall. I was like ??? We rolled on opposing sides so I could see in clear view my slowness, so I got distracted, lost my patients, and ended up breaking out too deep and recovering my arm under water. I swam like a madman trying to regain what I lost, but lost time can't be regain - 25.8. Joel said my breakout looked excellent, but what he didn't see was all the mayhem that went on underwater, he saw me hustling my arse off trying to regain what was already lost lol.

My 100 was worst, like over 3 seconds slower than what I swam just 40 days ago! I messed up all 3 turns. Last Feb I only messed up one turn.

My 50 breast was 2 hundredths slower than Feb

PB in 1IM, but it was also a personal first - 1:14. The back to breast suicide turn went perfectly because I've been practicing that. But I just can't seem to land fl and br into the turn right to make good transitions. Need to work those. My Coach said when I fly I'm way to high out of the water - so high out that my chest was surfaced lol! That's what I get for not doing this stroke at practice. These are mistakes kids make, not 50 yr olds.

The 25 yds fr I tried starting in an awkward manner: A grab start with feet in gutter, one inch deep of water and my hands grabbing the edge, up and back, from behind. There was a guy in my heat that false started and fell in, which, in addition to how everyone was lined up ready to go, made me laugh, and I never managed to start on time. I ended up with a time close to what I have timed myself doing from a side dive at practice, but for 25m.

For the 25 fly I just didn't breathe and went 13 something with a from the gutter, swinging-arms style start

Also did the 25 br

I need to keep my mind focused and my nerves at bay during swim meets. I also need to fix my turns which means I need to travel to a pool to workout in that has turn markings so I can get my rhythm back.

I am not worried about yesterdays performance, maybe a little disappointed, and I'm glad it happened so I can have a clear picture of what I need to do. But I did indeed have a sincerely fun time swimming poorly. Seriously. The 25's were a blast, I think everyone enjoyed doing them, even with handicapped starts.

Drylands today

5 min @ 9mph on treadmill. That hurt since I haven't ran in several weeks

Weights - worked legs, chest, back, hips, and core. Did stretching

Updated April 4th, 2016 at 12:10 AM by __steve__

Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. 3|31|16

Swam daily 3|24 to 3|31
    • Short repeats on 0:20 to 3:00 with steady decrease in effort each day
    • Fins used much of the time
    • Did a few turn drills
    • Easy starts from the side
    • Avoided any kicking (unless UW with fins)
    • increased qty of drills

Drylands
    • 2 light, high rep weights sessions
    • daily stretching

Updated March 31st, 2016 at 05:15 PM by __steve__

Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. 3|23|16 stretching and plyo

about 80 minutes

Did a few sets of:
    • vertical drop and hops
    • static track stance, then move into proper streamline with an inhale
    • moving yoga stretches
    • abdominal stuff
    • RC stuff

Wonder what to try in pool tomorrow
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. 3|22|16 SCM

WARMUP
    500 flutter kick
    • board and snorkel
    • 12:26 negative split at 250

MILD SPRINT FINS
    6 x 25 fr on 0:40
    14 x 25 fr on 1:00

DRILLS
    10 (3 x 7m) on 1:00
    • Breakout into 2 fr strokes & flipturn (7m), kick out from dig and roll to back for suicide turn (7m), do a br pullout (7m), glide back

20 x 7m on 0:30
    • Breakout into 2 fr strokes & flipturn, glide back

Drylands
    2 min on treadmill at 9.5 mph
    Worked legs, chest, back, shoulders, arms with high reps
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. 3|21|16 SCM

15 x 50 on 2:00, as 25 fr fast / 25 easy, odds with fins on
    • 14 highs to 15's, and 12's for the finned

30 x 30m on 1:00 as 15m AFAP fr (speed with a breath) / 15m easy
    • 7 highs to 8's
    • each had one high speed breath after 4th stroke with no need to

I truly believe my speed is where it should be now. Have dropped the former DPS concept. I just focus on minimizing movements and keeping arms moving fast and light, swimming on top of water. Don't care how many strokes I take per length for now. Seems to work. Before this, I channeled my attention to catching water way out front and applying max force. I've learned torque doesn't create speed, it causes slippage, speed comes from power, and power is work accomplished / time (armspeed). Shoulders like this too.

Last night I read (online: swim ee) some of Dr. Rein Haljand's implementation of swim mechanics. I think it boosted my stroke awareness a little and perhaps broadened my perspective some.

Updated March 21st, 2016 at 10:50 PM by __steve__

Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. 3|19|16 SCM

Tomorrow I'll be in a new age group. I think it's more competitive for dixie zone

10 x 10 seconds on 1:00 fast tethered kick alternate dolphin and flutter

10 x 25 fr on 3- 5 min, dive from side through a noodle ring (fins)

5 x 25 fr on 1:30, dive from side through a noodle ring (fins)

30 x 25m on 1:00 as 12.5 fast / 12.5 br
    • fast's were UWDK, FK, fr

6 x 25 UWDK on 1:00 (fins)

Tried echolocation. Humans definitely can't

Weights moderate intensity, everything but arms
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. 3|18|16 SCM

Yesterday SCM
    about 45 minutes of rested 25 fr's from a side dive, wearing fins

Drylands: RC stuff, stretching, weights (upper, light)

Today SCM
    20m fr's from side dive on 2 - 3, coast in, with fins
    • 5 of them were through-the-hoop (3 noodles in to a circle tied off to line, a little over 3m out). Supposed to narrow your tunnel of entry.

5 x 25 on 1:00 UWK with fins (belly down SDK, belly up SDK, left side SDK, right side SDK, belly down SFK)
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. 3|16|16 SCM

Legs yesterday (no swimming):

One arm DBDL's
    • 5 reps per set
    • worked up to #70 each arm

One leg, straight leg DL's with bar
    • Strived to keep free leg in line from head to toe with pelvis level throughout
    • Really worked outer hip joints as if they were never used

DBDL
    • 6 reps per set
    • worked up to #80's

Straight leg DL's
    • Kept barbell a few inches off ground - upper body not quite parallel
    • 1 x 20 x 135

Negative LP's
    • 1 x 20 x ???

LC's
    • 1 x ?? x ??

Straight leg, bent over helicopters with a side kick
    • 1 x 10 ea leg

Negative leg raises
    • 1 x 10

Legs and rear sore. Had to force oneself to get going in pool, but after a few lengths, the motor was revving fine.

Hydro T2 fins worn throughout:

10 x 25 fr on 1:00

• light sprint, nb

14 x 30 on 1:30

• 15m burst+fr fast / 15m ez bk

10 x 30 on 1:00

• 15m burst+fr fast / 15m ez fr

10 x 25 on 1:00

• UWDK belly down odds / belly up evens

CNS tired, so swims weren't AFAP. They were at a good effort though, and I tried to keep stroke rate quick

Registered for drive-by meet in NC

(Good preparation for Spring Nationals)

Have no idea what my IM and 25 times would be, so I guessed. Also lowballed the 100 fr in case I could squeeze a 25 fr split request in there. If so, that would be a great opportunity to compare dolphin kick fr to standard fr.

Event
    Number
    Sex
    Distance
    Stroke
    Time
    Men
    50 SCY
    Breast
    0:35.66
    Men
    50 SCY