Blog Comments

I just got a pair agility paddles and am looking forward to trying them out. One question--do you have any difficulty keeping them your hand during the recovery? The holes on mine (size small) seem so much bigger than my thumbs that I fear they will slip off once I bring them out of the water.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Do negative split 50s in practice!
    Yes, that is exactly the essence of it.
    Do negative split 50s in practice!

Frank is essentially saying that. It also prevents you from "getting lost" during the 50s.
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    This may be a better strategy for me. Like hold 37's with xx strokes breathing every 6 and focus on keeping it together and THEN speed up once I adapt. The last 15m of past LC 50 races has always been my troublesome area.
    I read this article below which indicated research that in LCM swimming, many swimmers will have trouble sustaining stroke rate and efficiency towards the second half of each 50 meters.

http://www.swimmingscience.net/searc...rse%20training

At that point I realized for each 50 meters I swim, I would need to train LCM with focus to maximize each push off the wall with as best possible streamline, kick and transition into a smooth relaxed stroke and then build the second 25 into the next turn or finish.

It does not make sense to practice swimming hard off the walls and then slowing down after the halfway point. When I first started swimming LCM that was the struggle, it was so long to finish a 50, particularly finishing 100s, 200s, etc. I changed my pacing to get best possible speed off the wall and efficiently maintain it on the first 25 then building the second 25. That strategy made swimming 100s, 200s etc., on intervals more effective, less struggle with better adaptation.
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    I kept working at it, and did not force my stroke, but did focus on the building the second 25 meters of the 50.
    This may be a better strategy for me. Like hold 37's with xx strokes breathing every 6 and focus on keeping it together and THEN speed up once I adapt. The last 15m of past LC 50 races has always been my troublesome area
    Pulling/swimming and sculling with paddles also helped me with the FR adjustment to LCM.
    I'm definitely planning on ordering those paddles

Your 50 hypoxic with fins is impressive.
    Thanks Frank, I have dedicated a week in that area several months back. Although I may be close to peaking, I try to maintain this level with a hypoxic set on hard days. I also do occasional progress checks too, to see if there is room to improve. Hypoxic training is rough on the body so I plan accordingly and make sure I don't go backwards in training.
    Updated April 23rd, 2013 at 01:53 PM by __steve__
    You are making good progress. As you said, the adaptation from SCM to LCM takes time. In my case there was no short cut, and what I did in SCY did not apply.

The first week doing a 37-35 felt the same or harder than doing 28-27 SCY. But I kept working at it, and did not force my stroke, but did focus on the building the second 25 meters of the 50.

The rest interval is important like you did the 100s EZ/Fast by 50 on 4:00, that is excellent as you will adapt the nervous system better with high quality effort swimming AND good technical stroke.

Pulling/swimming and sculling with paddles also helped me with the FR adjustment to LCM. Your 50 hypoxic with fins is impressive. The best I have done so far in swimming hypoxic FR LCM 50s is doing 32s @ SPL 30-32 with 4 breaths, as in 2 in 25 #1 and in 2 in 25#2.

The 4/21 workout was a good effort on your part, and at times like that I try to do the same. With your excellent FR stroke and focused mindset, I think you will do well as your LCM momentum builds.
    Maybe do those broken 25s on :25-30? Less than 5 seconds rest is really right.
    Probably both lack of practice and terrible SDK ability.

But I'm certain my flutter kick would be much slower if I were to use a monofin
    UW flutter kick is faster than dolphin ?! What up?
    Last year was a late harvest because too much nitrogen and not enough phosphorus so they ripened cool and were tame. This year however will provide some temperature
    That's gotta be one wicked hot pepper! You might not swim faster but your sinuses will certainly be cleaned out and ready to go.

I used to eat hot sauce and peppers after hard workouts... I think I heard somewhere that they have an anti-inflammatory effect and help in muscle recovery; can't remember where I saw that or if it's true.
    I forgot about that Fort, I need to keep that into consideration.

LC training has been a foreign juncture for me with most of my experience at meets. I forget I can't simply convert the experience from SCM without underestimation.

Fortunately, a new LCM pool will open this April in the local area, and I'll have to chance to train LC as an appropriate format to see what's needed.
    1 breath isn't much in a 50 LCM! I couldn't do that. I find there is a much larger aerobic component in LCM than SCY (even for 50s), so consider that in your training.
    Ah,

dangerous place,
    and a careless equipment operator.

The water is much more safe
    . The gym is a dangerous place for us swimmers at times ...
    How long is that tunnel?
    About the length of a c17 fuselage

Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Sweet!! Another USMS guy who's not afraid to get away from the "desk jobs". I have many many physical days as well myself, and consider them 8 hours of "dryland training". As long as you come away with 10 fingers it's a good day!

I've found that swimming is actually good therapy for some of the muscle fatigue I get from work as well. Plus it makes me happy.
    Good to get away from the computer and actually do something heavy, as well as recieve additional Sunday premium pay

Swimming has really made this part of my job more pleasant too
    Sweet!! Another USMS guy who's not afraid to get away from the "desk jobs". I have many many physical days as well myself, and consider them 8 hours of "dryland training". As long as you come away with 10 fingers it's a good day!

I've found that swimming is actually good therapy for some of the muscle fatigue I get from work as well. Plus it makes me happy.
    Wow Steve, that is hard work. How long is that tunnel? Glad you were able get it done, and as tired as you were, still did some drylands. It is good that you have swimming in you life!
    It only shows Florida, Idaho, Mississippi...?

And you better watch out with those fins! haha
    Thanks Mike!