Blog Comments

Definitely faster from the locker room to the water! In the water it just seems faster
    Briefs are the way to go. Unless you are swimming with a team I'd say the toughest part is that first couple steps out of the locker room.
    I'm glad the restriction is a good thing. During the fly - free transitions I had to do my best to clear it and keep from resting my feet on the bottom LOL

Anyhow, the Aquasphere MP snorkel is a definite keeper!

My finis snorkel found its home as a gopro mount during vacations for open water swims / snorkeling. The bright color attracts fish to film (hopefully not barracuda).
    I recently purchased a MP snorkel and find the same thing. I was using a Finis snorkel and from time to time I would add a cardio cap(little black plastic cap that restricts the air in take) and the MP reminds me of swimming with the cardio cap. I do like the fact that the MP snorkel is closer to your face and as a result moves much less on turns.
    Thanks.

I was almost sleeping at work
    It sucks when you can't sleep and it affects you for days. I hope you get a better nights sleep soon.
    Yep, happy car runs .. for now - LOL

We've been driving this same car for .. this is the 20th year!

Once we pay off our daughters car we will get a replacement for it
    Glad you were able to fix it. There is nothing more aggravating than vehicle trouble.
    Thanks,
    belt is tight

Just bought an alternator / regulator. Will install tonight once i know for sure its bad as I'm checking everything else. Also checked the battery, it charges and holds at 12.24 VDC. A little low, but good enough.

Sorry to hear about the car. It does seem like the alternator or voltage regulator on the alternator. Its pretty easy to test it with a multi-meter and to replace the alternator (I don't think you can get them separately anymore), but first check to see that the belt is tight. Here's a good link for how to test them:

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....ar-alternator/

Good luck with it Steve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Agree. Even if the "T" on the bottom were always the same distance from the wall, (and it isn't) it would appear to move because of the combination of water depth and the index of refraction of the water. It takes a lot of turns to get to the point where one can turn with confidence based on the cues from only the bottom of the pool.
    Depth was the real kicker

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Great job on the PR's!

Re: the turns topic. I peek just enough to see the bottom of the line marked on the wall. I also try to dive down into the wall for my turn. and spread my knees about 8 inches or so. I've seen plenty of videos of my hips dropping dramatically when I head face first into a wall. It's not a pretty sight! and it's a real pace dropper.
    Thanks Mark

I plan to train myself to look up just enough without moving my head as I did several years ago. Seemed to work better
    Great job on the PR's!

Re: the turns topic. I peek just enough to see the bottom of the line marked on the wall. I also try to dive down into the wall for my turn. and spread my knees about 8 inches or so. I've seen plenty of videos of my hips dropping dramatically when I head face first into a wall. It's not a pretty sight! and it's a real pace dropper.
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    From now on I'm going to drop raceclub's advice on turns and peak forward to the wall entering them. That can only work racing in the same pool you train in. The tenth of a second it might slow me down is not worth up to a second of hit and miss.
    Agree. Even if the "T" on the bottom were always the same distance from the wall, (and it isn't) it would appear to move because of the combination of water depth and the index of refraction of the water. It takes a lot of turns to get to the point where one can turn with confidence based on the cues from only the bottom of the pool.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    Way to go, Steve! Congrats on a fun weekend of racing and some PBs!
    Thanks Mike! A second faster in my 50 br and 2 seconds faster in my 50 fl. But my coach deserves credit for the fly improvement just from one simple suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Congrats on the PBs and the fun! Wish I had had a chance to meet you. I didn't realize you were going to be at nationals; you were a little secretive on your blog.

Oh, I always peak. Markings can be different and at GAC there was just a line.
    Thanks Leslie

From now on I'm going to drop raceclub's advice on turns and peak forward to the wall entering them. That can only work racing in the same pool you train in. The tenth of a second it might slow me down is not worth up to a second of hit and miss.
    Congrats on the PBs and the fun! Wish I had had a chance to meet you. I didn't realize you were going to be at nationals; you were a little secretive on your blog.

Oh, I always peak. Markings can be different and at GAC there was just a line.
    Way to go, Steve! Congrats on a fun weekend of racing and some PBs!
    Thanks
    Glad to hear you are feeling better. Keep up the good work!
    Frustrating.
    Yep,
    thought the warmup would help flow some rhythm, but all it did was remind me of 2 things: the shoulder workout night b4, and I don't swim like that
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast