Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Empty calories from what ever your beverage of choice was add up fast and if you were like me I could not just drink but munched on REALLY healthy snacks when I drank

ccngratulations on the change and the weight loss.
    Thanks Fast Stewart.

My beverage was Merlot, not one or two glasses, but a bottle, lol.

It's been just a several weeks and I do believe my fat % is less. But, I definitely believe I sleep and feel better
    Empty calories from what ever your beverage of choice was add up fast and if you were like me I could not just drink but munched on REALLY healthy snacks when I drank

ccngratulations on the change and the weight loss.
    Thanks

It happened rather quick. Might have to eat more carbs if I loose any more than this
    Lost 4 lbs (165) since I removed alcohol from diet. Not sure what mechanism caused this because I am probably more hydrated now.
    Good on ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Martin
    Good for you if you can quit cold turkey. I'm not convinced alcohol directly affects performance, but I'm fairly certain it does indirectly, through effects on protein synthesis and how you feel for workout.
    I have a running friend who quit cold turkey for a month (from moderate levels). Unlike Patrick, she said she didn't lose an ounce and didn't notice any training improvements.

Alcohol can affect your sleep and, perhaps more importantly, deplete your red blood cell magnesium. I don't seem to notice adverse effects from moderate drinking, but drinking too much = disaster (at least for me). I feel fortunate that I don't have to get up early in the morning. If I did, I would likely quit drinking wine. I'm a big believer in loads of sleep for masters athletes. I think quantity of sleep is more important than alcohol cessation.
    Updated February 10th, 2016 at 09:56 AM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    Might be interesting to see how your body changes if you drop the wine. Hmm... Good luck!
    yes, alcohol is like consuming pure sugar, and we typically consume after hours, when we don't burn it for energy

That's a lot of fast stuff, almost Fortress-like. Plus drylands. I guess it feels good to workout after two days of not.
    Good for you if you can quit cold turkey.
    I was ready for a good workout yesterday, but now I'm feeling it

but I'm fairly certain it does indirectly, through effects on protein synthesis and how you feel for workout.
    protein synthesis improvement would be something beneficial to me

Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Good luck with the lifestyle modifications. I know, for sure, that as I've gotten older, there's been a more direct impact (negative) of alcohol intake on not just my athletic performance, but also my mood and my professional performance. I've not gone to zero, but cut back a lot and feel so much better.
    I'm already sleeping better. I am looking forward to see what may change
    Good luck with the lifestyle modifications. I know, for sure, that as I've gotten older, there's been a more direct impact (negative) of alcohol intake on not just my athletic performance, but also my mood and my professional performance. I've not gone to zero, but cut back a lot and feel so much better.
    That's a lot of fast stuff, almost Fortress-like. Plus drylands. I guess it feels good to workout after two days of not.
    Good for you if you can quit cold turkey. I'm not convinced alcohol directly affects performance, but I'm fairly certain it does indirectly, through effects on protein synthesis and how you feel for workout.
    Might be interesting to see how your body changes if you drop the wine. Hmm... Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by joel schmaltz
    Well done sir! Look forward to seeing you in a few weeks
    Thanks!

Just need to take it easier now, stay flexible, slow my metabolism, and avoid injury or illness. Easier said though

Good job on the nb dive 50. With that and your focus on technique, you'll be sub 25 easily, and headed down.
    Thank you

A 50 SCY nb off the block for me is much more difficult than a 50 SCM, pushed.

For the meet I will have to stay focused, have a personal timeline and remain relaxed. If I make a mistake during my 50 Saturday, at least I still have a wildcard to use on Sunday (split request forms).
    Good job on the nb dive 50. With that and your focus on technique, you'll be sub 25 easily, and headed down.
    Well done sir! Look forward to seeing you in a few weeks
    This is only occasional, and is nothing compared to airports, travel and hotels that you and pwb routinely mix into your schedule.

Can't wait until next weekend for a break, however
    I am tired just thinking about it. That's a really tough schedule. I don't know how you handle shifts like that and train.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    So sorry to hear about the accident but really glad it was not any worse. My daughter was bitten by a dog on her neck when she was 5 and I recall is the blood. Lots and lots of it. She too recovered pretty quick but it was awful and I empathize with you. The yearly physical is pretty awesome! Swimming really is nirvana!!!
    Thanks Stewart!
    It was rough staying out of the water for 2.5 wks. I think the longest I've gone without swimming since starting (in 2008) was 3 or 4 days. My upper body however, seemed to recharge during this break, and the minor swimming related aches have disappeared
    So sorry to hear about the accident but really glad it was not any worse. My daughter was bitten by a dog on her neck when she was 5 and I recall is the blood. Lots and lots of it. She too recovered pretty quick but it was awful and I empathize with you. The yearly physical is pretty awesome! Swimming really is nirvana!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by joel schmaltz
    Glad you are back at it and didn't get hurt even worse.
    Impressive fitness test results. Congrats!
    Thanks Joel!
    Glad you are back at it and didn't get hurt even worse.
    Impressive fitness test results. Congrats!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    So sorry about the freak accident! One never knows when life will throw a curve ball ... Glad you are on the mend.
    Thanks Fort! I admit it could have been partially due to a little carelessness on my part, but your absolutely right. The best we can do is know how to avoid or minimize the effects of Murphy's law.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial
    So, we need more juice. WHERE on the neck were you cut? And freak accident? Spill the beans!! Medical professionals are naturally nosy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial
    Glad you're better though!
    Cut is over and behind left collar bone near neck, and a small gash on my forehead. Was attempting to sort and remove years of collected useless items in our attic. My foot missed a support joist and my leg partly went through the ceiling as I crashed Part of a glass picture cover was the culprit. Didn't know I has hurt until I noticed blood.

I routinely do potentially hazardous work around the house and yard, but I'm realizing more clearly I need to be more careful and slow down some as my reflexes and vision aren't as sharp as they once were. I was very lucky I came out with just a cut. But on the graphic side the 2" slice was opened up from the tension on the skin in the area and I was able to see the anatomy of my neck through the opening.
    Updated December 8th, 2015 at 08:09 PM by __steve__
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast