View RSS Feed

Uncategorized

Entries with no category

1. Recapping the Last Few Months

by , April 6th, 2012 at 09:04 AM (Year Three: The Road Back)
    You may have noticed that I haven't posted anything since last December - and my last few entry topics surrounded the issues I was having with my shoulder. Unfortunately, rest didn't help a thing. My shoulder never got better and on January 19, I had surgery to repair a 75% torn rotator cuff. The doc took pictures of the remaining 25% and how it was shredding too. Now, with two screws holding my left shoulder together, I am cleared to get back in the water. Before you cringe... I'm mainly kicking - and slowly testing the "shoulder" waters.

I actually got back in the water a few weeks ago and have been trying to increase what I can do day by day (actually every other day - I'm trying really hard to limit myself to 3-4 days per week max in the pool).

My victory yesterday - I swam an entire 50 Free without fins to aid my shoulder. It wasn't fast - only a :45, but it was a full 50.

My struggle today - pain. Not good. I went back to a few unassisted 25 Frees with a 25 Kick to get back to the wall. I find myself doing a lot of one-arm fly and one-arm back. I can do about 4 left-arm fly strokes before my shoulder gets tired, but I still don't have the strength to get both of my shoulders out of the water - on the same timing schedule - to be able to swim full fly strokes yet. Those of you who read this last year know that fly is my favorite stroke. Ugh....

I had high hopes for this season - great SCY times culminating in our Indiana State Meet (missed the entire SCY season), my first Aquabike in May (not happening), the USMS LCM Nationals in Omaha (highly, highly unlikely), and a great Open Water season (for which I am still holding out a bit of hope to be back by the end of summer). So... needless to say, Year 3 is not what I expected. Stay tuned... we'll see where I go from here.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Taper Day 14 for Y Nationals

by , April 14th, 2011 at 05:19 PM (Year Three: The Road Back)
    Headed to the pool this morning as usual for an easy, loose swim before heading to the airport. Here's what I did:

450 Warm-Up
    12 x 50 Free on 1:00 (did rotating fast swims- 1st 20 fast, 2nd 20 fast to hit the turn, 3rd finish fast)
    8 x 50 Drill/Swim Stroke (2 of each stroke)
    250 Kick/Swim by 50 Cool-Down
    Total Yards - 1700

As I write this, I am in Ft. Lauderdale after a very uneventful flight and a highly adventurous (if not completely frightening) cab ride to the hotel. Does the phrase "Hang on for dear life" ring a bell? But... all told there are about 60 Indy SwimFit swimmers here, so it will be great fun - and about 15 of them were on my flight. That was fun too! Now I'm off to check out the beach, stock my room fridge with water, fruit, and soda, and then find a nice little place to dine with some of my teammates.

On tap for tomorrow are the 50 Fly and the 200 Free, as well as any relays I am on. Now that I'm here, I'm more excited than nervous. Hope that keeps up into tomorrow's swims.

Talk to you soon...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. The End of February...YAY!

by , February 28th, 2011 at 01:18 PM (Year Three: The Road Back)
    YAY! February is FINALLY over! First of all, it's been a crazy month - weather-wise. With the beginning of the month having ice storms to today - with 2.5+ inches of rain overnight and schools delayed because of all the flooding.... E-gads. Makes you wonder what's next?!

My total for the February Fitness Challenge? 112,200 yards swam over 27 days. Of course, I now have a slight injury -either from overuse or from shoveling the last load of really heavy, wet snow on Friday (or probably a combination of the two). Anyways, my back/ left side is absolutely aching when I twist or lift my left arm up and down (golly - kind of like a freestyle stroke). So, I decided that after 27 days in a row of swimming, I am going to take tomorrow off - and see how I feel on Wednesday. I suppose if there is any time to be injured, it's right now. The state meet is four weeks away and Y Nationals are six weeks. But... I'm rather hoping that diligent stretching over the next two days will help the muscles get back to normal and I'll be able to refocus on sprinting - and to be in the pool doing something other than kicking.

Today's workout was primarily a kick-fest, with some breaststroke work thrown in for good measure. Oddly enough, breaststroke - which is my least favorite of the four - had the only arm motion that wasn't excruiatingly painful. The other way I got around my pain was to do fly one arm drills for a good portion of the workout. Of course, I only drilled with one arm....

Enjoy your swims tomorrow for me!

Updated March 1st, 2011 at 12:31 PM by kgernert

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Slowly Getting Back into the Swim of Things

by , February 24th, 2011 at 02:37 PM (Year Three: The Road Back)
    Today's workout wasn't nearly as bad as yesterday's for me. Here's what we did:

400 Warm-Up
    12 x 50 Kick on 1:10, 1>4, 5>8, 9>12
    1 x 5:00 Kick for Distance (got 250 yds)
    1 x 100 Free Easy on 1:45
    10 x 25 Free Power Stroke on :30
    1 x 50 Easy
    10 x 50 Free on 1:00 Hold best average (held :39-:40)
    1 x 50 Pull on :50
    1 x 100 Pull on 1:40
    1 x 150 Pull on 2:30
    1 x 200 Pull on 3:20
    1 x 200 Pull on 3:20
    1 x 150 Pull on 2:30
    1 x 100 Pull on 1:40
    1 x 50 Pull on :50
    250 Cool-Down
    Total Yards - 3400

Thoughts:
    1. While I would have liked to hold better than :39-:40 on 10x50 set, it was not as bad as it could have been. I have "dead legs" again right now and the all-out kicking for distance only enhanced the deadened feeling during the 50's. But... I've also been a lot worse and I fully expect the times will get faster again as I recover from all the doubles and huge yardage from earlier this month.
    2. I made all the pull intervals and didn't give up even when my arms started burning during the 200's. The "old" me would have switched to fins when my shoulders started to hurt and simply kicked the rest of the set. The "new" me hung in there. Each time I don't quit, it gets easier to persevere and get through sets as written. YAY for me!

On a totally different note, my oldest daughter just met with her high school counselor and registered for her freshman classes. I don't feel old enough to have a daughter in high school....

Tennis match tonight.... haven't picked up a racket in a couple of months. But, it was play or make the team forfeit and I didn't want to do that. Hopefully, it will be fine - as the match starts AFTER I typically am ready for bed.

Enjoy your day!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Back to Sprinting....

by , February 23rd, 2011 at 03:44 PM (Year Three: The Road Back)
    Even though it's still February, I'm on track to hit my fitness challenge goal. So... I swam the sprinting workout instead of not going as hard, but doubling distances. Unfortunately, the entire practice just felt off for me. My arms and legs ached and I felt like I was simply spinning my arms, instead of grabbing the water. While I managed to do 5 all-out 100's holding 1:11-1:12, I was hoping for more. Not sure why exactly, since my best ever time off the blocks at a meet is 1:07.99. That said, 1:11 off the wall isn't too bad. But... I was still disappointed and wanting more - or at least having these times without them hurting SOOOOO badly. Oh well. tomorrow is another day. As for today, this is what we did:

400 Warm-Up
    8 x 50 Kick on 1:00
    8 x 50 Drill/Swim on 1:00
    16 x 25 Free (hard/ez, ez/hard) on :30
    5 x 100 Free ALL OUT on 6:00
    4 x 100 Free Recoveries between all out tries
    500 Cool-Down
    Total Yards - 2800

Hoping tomorrow is a better day....
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Holy Canoli I'm Tired!

by , February 22nd, 2011 at 01:43 PM (Year Three: The Road Back)
    It's been a little while since I've posted anything. I spent all last week (M-F) doing doubles. I did the team practice in the am and then after work headed back to the pool for another 2200-2800 yards - depending on how far we went in the am. All told, I upped my daily average from about 3500scy to 6000scy. Yikes! No wonder I didn't post anything... I went home after the second swim, grabbed a snack, then grabbed a nap!

My initial goal for the February Fitness Challenge (http://www.barracudas.org/pool/febfitness/ffc.htm) was to swim 107,000 yards (which is up from the 106,250 I did last year). The ice storm the first few days put me way behind. Since my girls were visiting their father last week, I decided to do doubles to get back on track and be able to meet my goal. Of course, once caught up, I decided to keep it up... and am now on pace to get over 110,000 yards - barring snow days, injuries, or just plain exhaustion. I still have to swim every day this month (Saturday and Sunday included), but if I average about 3000 yards per swim. I'm good.

With my girls coming back from their father's house and my February Fitness Challenge goal in sight, it's time to refocus on preparing for the Indiana state meet (end of March) and YMCA National meet (mid-April). Here's what we did today:

400 Warm-Up
    3 sets:
    1 x 500 (1st & 3rd set free; 2nd set pull)
    3 x 250 (1st & 2nd free; 3rd kick)
    100 Cool-Down
    4250 Total Yards

I would tell you what intervals we were on, but I honestly don't know. The two guys in front of me seemed lightning fast and, while I made all the intervals with at least :10 to spare, I also got lapped on the 1st and 2nd 500. My entire goal for the last 500 was to not get lapped. Either I sped up or the leader slowed down. Either way, I was exhausted at the end of the final 500, but did NOT get lapped! Truth be told, however, he probably would have gotten me on the next 25; for sure on the next 50. But... that's neither here nor there.... I didn't get lapped!

Anyhoo... enjoy your swims and I'll check in tomorrow.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. E-gads! Doubles - Day 2

by , February 15th, 2011 at 08:26 PM (Year Three: The Road Back)
    So, I decided to do another double today. That was after a neat and tidy 4200 yards this morning. Dare I say that the 4200 yards left me gasping for breath, aching in my legs, and wondering (perhaps hoping?) if my arms would actually come off? What could better follow that but another double?!

I took it easy on the double today (yeah, right!). While I did wear fins for most of the second swim, I also worked on fly and back for the 1600 main set I did. With a 400 warm-up and 200 cool-down, my daily total of 6400 total yards in one day is by far and away the most I have ever swam in a day. Of course, it helps to be able to come home after the second swim, do a few chores around the house and then lay down for a while. And, bedtime will come very, VERY early tonight.... In fact, it's sounding pretty good right now.

A few morsels for dinner and the repacking of my swim bag.... I'll be in bed right after the Jeopardy Watson Day 2 adventure...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Double Monday

by , February 14th, 2011 at 09:37 PM (Year Three: The Road Back)
    Well... today was a double-day. After morning practice, which was 3800 yards, I decided that I needed to do an afternoon practice in order to get my total monthly yards up - for the February Fitness challenge goal. Since I swam 106,000 yards last year, I upped my goal this year to 107,000. Of course, last year I didn't have an ice storm to contend with the first few days of the month - or any racing (did the IU meet this year). Part of me thinks I'm crazy to be going after this goal - part of me really wants to do this.... I guess we'll see how this week goes. This is the only week in which I'll be able to do doubles - as the girls come back from visiting their father next week. So, it'll be interesting to see how determined I am to keep doing doubles after a few days....

Today was 6050 yards total. More than I've ever done in a day. Whew! Tomorrow's workout is slated for 4400 yards. Double after that? Time will tell....
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. IU Swim Meet

by , February 12th, 2011 at 07:48 PM (Year Three: The Road Back)
    Today's swim meet at Indiana University is now over and I'm trying to assess the day. Going in, I wasn't expecting that much out of myself (at least that's what I told myself), but once at a meet, I want to do my absolute best - every swim. Overall, the five events went pretty well actually. I didn't see huge drops from the last meet, but it was only two weeks ago. I did see drops, however, in 4 out of 5 events.

Event 1 - 50 Fly - While I dropped about .2, my breathing pattern (every other stroke) fell apart on the return 25 and my legs were screaming at me. Obviously, I wasn't as well rested as I was going into the Ball State meet. Still, a decent time (34.27) and a slight gain.

Event 2 - 50 Free - This one went really well. I dropped another .3 (30.40), but it's still not under the :30 mark that I have set as a goal for this year. But... I was able to hold my breathing plan the entire race - for the first time ever. YAY!

Event 3 - 100 Fly - This was only the second time I've ever swam the event and was the only event I added time in (went from a 1:19.40 to a 1:19.93). It just didn't feel as good this time as it did two weeks ago. I reckon it's just because I didn't do any tapering before this meet and my legs were much stiffer. So, to hold a 1:19 when tired made me feel really good.

Event 4 - 100 Free - I don't what happened on this event. My plan was to focus on a really strong pull with a steady rhythm and then to build the 3rd 25 and go all out the final 25. I never could find a rhythm and the pull felt weak. Yet, somehow, I still managed to drop .5 from the meet two weeks ago and finished in 1:07.99. How can it feel so bad - and the time be better?

Event 5 - 200 Free - I was so tired by the time this one rolled around that I was ready to call it a "cool-down" swim, but didn't. I still tried my best, but my time (while a 2 second drop from last year's time) was still a disappointing 2:30.63. I'm trying to tell myself that this was still a good swim, especially considering the other swims and my tiredness level going in, but.... it's still a disappointment. On the other hand, it breaks down to two 1:15 - which I can't hold in practice. The best 100 repeat time I hold during workouts is 1:22-1:25.

So, while I'm trying to not be discouraged by the 200 Free, overall I was pretty happy with my results. Now, I'm going to finish the February Fitness Challenge strong before refocusing the beginning of March on sprinting to prepare for the Indiana State meet the last weekend in March.

Now...it's time for a nap before bed.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. The Warm-Up Is Here!

by , February 11th, 2011 at 01:00 PM (Year Three: The Road Back)
    YAY! It's supposed to be getting warmer this weekend - all the way into the 40's and that is going to feel downright balmy. Of course, I'll be spending most of tomorrow at a pool, but Sunday is supposed to be great too!

The Indiana University swim meet is tomorrow and I am entered in the 50 Fly, 100 Fly, 50 Free, 100 Free, and 200 Free. I've only done the 100 Fly one time (two weeks ago - went pretty well) and I haven't competed the 200 Free since the IN state meet last March. But, there are a lot of people heading to Bloomington, so it should be a fun meet overall - even if my times aren't the best.

The whole three-day taper thing just has not happened this week for me. We've had shorter distance days anyway - focusing on sprinting. Didn't think that could really hurt, but my legs are aching today and I'm not sure how much I'll recover by tomorrow. But... I did figure out some things on my freestyle this past week that should help me drop time (especially when I'm actually tapered/rested). #1 - I'm faster when my freestyle stroke focuses on power and distance per stroke rather than higher turnover. #2 - I'm faster when I do NOT breath every stroke (which I've been doing my whole life). I'm getting pretty comfortable with a 6 stroke, 1 breath, 6 stroke, 1 breath, 4 stroke, TURN on the first 25 of a fast 50 Free. The next challenge will be to get comfortable having that same breathing pattern on the way back (or even on the next 50 of a 100). So... breakthroughs are made, which lead right into the next steps. But, the bottom line is that I love to swim and have truly enjoyed the past 1 1/2 of swimming (when I first started) and the past year of competing. And, in the end, that's what matters when all is said and done and my hand hits the wall.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Breakthrough of sorts....

by , February 9th, 2011 at 12:59 PM (Year Three: The Road Back)
    So, I had planned on doing a mini-taper for the rest of the week in preparation for the IU meet on Saturday. I'm dragging through the day and falling asleep while watching Jeopardy! with my kids... Of course, things don't always go as planned. When Coach showed up this morning, the workout as written was only 2550 yards - with a lot of sprinting. So, I figured I'd just do the workout (with a few adaptations here and there). Here's what I did:

400 Warm-Up
    1 x 200 Kick on side on 4:00
    4 x 50 Kick on 1:00, 1>4
    1 x 100 Kick w/o fins for time - got 1:45 (It might not seem like it to most people, but this is fast for me!)
    4 sets:
    1 x 100 Drill Cycle on 2:15 (did 2 fly, 2 free)
    1 x 25 Power Stroke on 1:00 (did 2 fly, 2 free)
    3 sets:
    4 x 25 ALL OUT on 1:00 (odd: fly, even: free)
    1 x 50 Easy Free on 2:00
    1 set:
    4 x 50 Easy Free on 1:00
    1 x 100 Easy Free on 2:00
    1 set:
    5 x 50 Easy Free on 1:00
    400 Cool-Down
    Total Yards - 2800

Here is my breakthrough - what I noticed when I was doing the Free Drill Cycle was that on the 25 where I did catch-up drill, I really outdistanced my training partner. So, I tried to mimic that glide during the 25 ALL OUT's and realized that a slower stroke rate with a longer glide actually makes me faster.... it finally got me out of the "spinning my wheels" feeling that I typically have when going all out for a 50 (or when racing). I'm hoping that I can remember to race this way on Saturday. I am only .69 away from breaking :30 on the 50 Free for the first time ever and I'm wondering if this change - more power/distance per stroke; less flailing - will be enough to break the :30 barrier. I guess time will tell.

All in all, I left the pool today feeling pretty good - and pretty hopeful for this weekend's meet. Now, if only I can get the "dead" feeling out of my legs over the next few days....
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Tuesday Ladder

by , February 8th, 2011 at 08:57 PM (Year Three: The Road Back)
    Well, without an official workout from the coach today, my training partner and I decided to modify Saturday's workout. Here's what we did:

400 Warm-Up
    4 sets:
    1 x 25 Free on :30
    1 x 50 Free on 1:00
    1 x 75 Free on 1:20
    1 x 100 Free on 1:40
    1 x 200 on 4:00 (1 & 3 kick, 2 pull, 4 fly/back)
    8 x 50 Drill/Swim on 1:00 (odd: fly, even: free)
    Total Yards - 3600

This workout went pretty well. I do really like this ladder. It challenges me, but is still do-able. Knowing that, I am able to push myself to get through the last set especially. I am feeling stronger and smoother on the free typically - and not rushing my stroke because I'm worried about making the interval. I think I finally got it through my head that relaxed, strong, and smooth, I can make 100 Free on 1:20-1:25ish (depending on how tired I'm getting). So... that is a big plus and a big breakthrough mentally for me.

We'll see if there's an "official" team workout for tomorrow or not. If not, I have a number of old workouts all about 3600 yards that we can choose from.

Now, to put the kids to bed (relatively soon) and head off to bed myself. Still feeling really, really tired - and wanting to get as much sleep as possible to aid in recovery before Saturday's meet.

Glad the ice is over, but the bitter cold has taken it's place. Just looking forward to this weekend, when temperatures are supposed to climb into the upper 40's. It will feel SOOOOOO warm (and maybe help melt the ice on my driveway that's still too thick for me to get up). Enjoy your day!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Back to Normal...Almost

by , February 7th, 2011 at 02:31 PM (Year Three: The Road Back)
    Well, the phone did ring during the Super Bowl last night. Fortunately, school was not canceled for today, just delayed 2 hours. Oh well... at least they are in school.

Back in the pool this morning, the main set focused on underwater SDKs and backstroke. Here's what we did:

400 Warm-Up
    12 x 75 Pull on 1:20
    8 x 50 Back dolphin kick on 1:05
    8 sets:
    2 x 25 Underwater SDK on :40
    1 x 100 Backstroke on 1:45
    400 Cool-Down
    Total Yards - 3300

I think I may be finally starting to figure out backstroke. Specifically, I think I'm starting to get the shoulder rotation/hand motion to provide a decent pull. This has been a bit of a struggle, but today's backstroke just got better and better as I played around with it. YAY!

I'm trying this week to balance the need for yardage (to make my February Fitness Challenge goal) with the need to be rested and ready to race at this Saturday's meet. Hopefully, I'll find the middle ground...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. A Sunday Swim

by , February 6th, 2011 at 06:57 PM (Year Three: The Road Back)
    Typically, I take Sundays off as a rule. I figure my body needs one total day off to aid in recovery. However, it's February and that means that I'm doing the February Fitness Challenge. My goal is to get 100,000 yards, which means I need to average 3517 per day (every day of the month). Since I didn't swim on the 1st because of the ice, I'm already behind. So, today I made sure to get in 3650, so I don't fall further behind. I basically modified yesterday's workout and did two of the Kick sets (one at the beginning and one at the end) and two of the Mountain sets. It was a good workout and I felt stronger than I thought I might.

The challenge will be to not fall too far behind this week as I try to balance needing yardage for the fitness challenge with preparing for this weekend's meet at Indiana University. I haven't swam in this meet before and am swimming five events - basically another warm-up meet for Indiana's state meet in March and Y Nationals in April. So... we'll see what happens. I am also taking another crack at the 100 Fly to help my confidence in this race going into the big meets. Should be fun - whatever my results are. This meet tends to get a bigger contingent of Indy SwimFit swimmers, and they are a fun bunch to train with - and an extremely encouraging bunch at meets.

Now, my attention turns to the Super Bowl (GO STEELERS!) and the hopeful silence of my telephone. The kids have been off school since last Tuesday because of snow and ice. If they call school again tomorrow....ugh! Here's hoping the phone will stay silent and my kids will get on the bus in the morning....
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Ice...Then Snow...Then Clear?

by , February 6th, 2011 at 08:03 AM (Year Three: The Road Back)
    This has definitely been the weirdest of the weird week of weather we have been having. With still about 1.5" of ice on my driveway (which is flat, so I'm planning on letting the sun melt it), we woke up Saturday morning to light flurries. Not thinking much of it initially (since it looked so pretty), my older daughter and I got ready to head to her orchestra competition. The roads were a bit nasty on the way, but we arrived in plenty of time for her first performance - her first solo competition on the viola ever. And, she got a GOLD rating.

Then, while waiting for her ensemble members to arrive, a friend of Sam's came over and asked if she still played the viola or had switched to the violin. When Sam said she played the viola, her friend asked if she would mind sitting in with a group from another junior high whose viola player was no where to be found. When Sam asked when they were scheduled to perform, the answer was "in about five minutes." So, my wonderful - and compassionate - daughter, agreed to sight-read the music for the group. And, they earned a GOLD rating.

Talk about karma, because the violinst for my daughter's ensemble showed up about 5 minutes before THEY were scheduled to perform. WOW! is all I can say. They were oustanding and "The Lord of the Dance" brought tears to my eyes! Even the ensemble's judge told them that they were the best ensemble that he'd heard all morning. And, another GOLD rating!!!

If I thought the roads going to the competition were bad, the roads on the way home were horrendous. The 30 minute trip ended up taking us over an hour. On the way home, I even commented to my daughter that I guess I wouldn't be going to the pool. We saw numerous accidents and slide-offs in the 20 mile trek.

Of course, a few hours later (after shoveling 4 inches of new snow off the 1.5 inches of ice on my driveway), I was itching to go to the pool. So, I ventured out. The heavy snow had turned to simple flurries and I must give kudos to the Town of Fishers road crew. When I went to the pool.... the main roads were clear!

I'm glad I went because it was a fabulous workout. Here's what I did:

400 Warm-Up
    4 sets:
    1 x 25 Kick on :30
    1 x 100 Drill Cycle on 2:00
    4 sets:
    1 x 200 on 4:00 (did as kick, pull, kick, pull)
    1 x 100 Free on 1:400
    400 Cool-Down
    Total Yards - 4400

Such a fun day. I love hearing my daughter play - and play amazingly well. I love good workouts.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. First Double of the Year

by , February 4th, 2011 at 05:44 PM (Year Three: The Road Back)
    It was a blast to swim this morning, as swimmers who train at cancelled locations (North Central) showed up since our location (Fishers Y) was not cancelled. Because of the icy side streets, schools here were cancelled for the 4th day in a row. E-gads! I just hope the next storm (dumping 5-6 inches, in theory) doesn't hit and the schools can open on Monday.

Back to happy news, at today's workout, here's what we did:

400 Warm-Up
    4 sets (odd: dolphin, even: flutter):
    3 x 25 Kick on :30
    1 x 75 Kick Moderate
    4 sets: (2 fly, 2 free)
    1 x 25 Drill/Stroke on :40
    1 x 25 on 1:00 (15yds power; 10 yds smooth)
    4 x 50 on 1:00 (fly, fly drill, fly/free, back)
    4 x 50 on 1:00 (back, back, back, free)
    4 x 50 on 1:00 (breast/free, free, free, breast/free)
    4 x 50 on 1:00 (all free)
    4 sets:
    2 x 75 IM on 1:20 (did 1 fly, back, free; kicked 2; 3-4 were fly, back, breast w/ fins)
    1 x 100 Free on 1:50 (1 free, 2 kick, 3 pull w/ fins on, 4 free w/o fins)
    400 Cool-Down
    Total Yards - 3400

Of course, that should have been enough.... but it wasn't. Knowing that I am behind on my February Fitness goal of 100,000yds (because of the Ice Storm and missing swimming days) and my FLOG was mad at me, I decided to do a short session this afternoon. I borrowed this from The Fortress, but modified her entire kick set to be kicking on the way up the ladder and a kick/pull combo on the way down the ladder. My other modification was to change her intervals to :15 rest.

200 Warm-Up
    1 x 50 Dolphin Kick w/ board on :45
    1 x 100 Dolphin Kick w/ board 1:30
    1 x 150 Dolphin Kick w/ board
    1 x 200 Backstroke Kick
    1 x 250 Backstroke/Back Dolphin Kick
    1 x 300 Free
    1 x 250 Pull
    1 x 200 Pull
    1 x 150 Pull
    1 x 100 Dolphin Kick w/ board
    1 x 50 Backstroke Kick
    200 Cool-Down
    Total Yards - 2200

While on the one hand, I'm proud of myself for doing a double today, I'm completely worn out and hoping that I'll still be able to swim Saturday's practice and a Sunday recovery swim before getting into next week's regular workouts. Oh... and did I mention that I have a meet next weekend? This is the only double I'm planning to do until the meet is over - and then I'll probably do a couple the next week to make up lost yardage... Oh well... the fun of February!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. YAY! Back into the Groove.

by , February 3rd, 2011 at 02:43 PM (Year Three: The Road Back)
    I love swimming with other like-minded people! It's just so much fun!

With the kids' school being cancelled again, I swam early with the team (all 3 of us today) because it was finally my turn to stay home with the girls. It was a great workout - so much fun. Here's what we did:

400 Warm-Up
    12 x 50 Drill/Swim on 1:00
    2 sets (did first dolphin kick on back, second free w/ board):
    1 x 200 Kick on 4:00
    1 x 25 Kick on :45
    1 x 25 Kick on :40
    1 x 25 Kick on :35
    1 x 25 Kick on :30
    1 x 25 Kick on :25
    1 x 25 Kick on :20
    :30 rest
    2 sets (did first fly w/ fins, second free):
    1 x 200 Stroke on 4:00
    1 x 25 Stroke on :45
    1 x 25 Stroke on :40
    1 x 25 Stroke on :35
    1 x 25 Stroke on :30
    1 x 25 Stroke on :25
    1 x 25 Stroke on :20
    :30 rest
    10 x 50 Pull on :50
    4 x 100 Kick Cool-Down
    Total Yards 3,300

Too much fun! I can't believe I managed to pull off a 200 Fly - even though I was wearing fins, it was still more than I thought I could do. I just decided not to stop.

My GTD Flog still doesn't like me - still trying to make up yardage missed during the Ice Storm. Oh well. I'm thinking about doing a double (albeit a short afternoon session) to catch up. Besides, that will put me back on my target pace of 3517yds per day, so I can make the 100,000yd mark for the February Fitness Challenge this month. Whew! That's lots of yards....
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. YAY! The Y Reopened!

by , February 2nd, 2011 at 09:35 PM (Year Three: The Road Back)
    Whew! Looks like the Ice Storm of 2011 is finally leaving Central Indiana. And, the Y reopened at 3:30 this afternoon. Thanks to my wonderful - and understanding - husband, I was able to leave the kids with him and get a quick swim in. The pool was more crowded than I've ever seen it with two high school teams trying to get ready at the Y for Sectionals, which begins tomorrow. Of course, since school has been cancelled for the last two days - and now for tomorrow until the secondary roads can be cleared of all the ice for the busses - teams have not been allowed to practice. So, the swimmers preparing to race sectionals were at an "informal" practice. Man, can those kids fly!

For my YAY workout, I did the following:

400 Warm-Up
    12 x 75 Pull w/ :15 rest between
    8 x 50 Kick (did fly kick on back) on 1:00
    8 x 50 Fly Drill on 1:00
    1 x 200 Kick
    250 Cool-Down
    Total Yards - 2550

It just felt good to be back in the water. Now, back to training with the team... that will be cool too!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Day 2 of the Ice Storm

by , February 2nd, 2011 at 08:21 AM (Year Three: The Road Back)
    With the Travel Warning issued right now for Hamilton County, even the YMCA is closed. Thus, not even an open pool to swim in. As the weather starts to clear, I'm hoping I can get a swim in later if the Travel Warning is lifted and the Y can open. In the meantime, it was another morning on the bike - 21.5 miles. Not bad, but just not swim time. My FLOG is definitely not happy with me right now....
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Margaritas, anyone?

by , February 1st, 2011 at 10:59 AM (Year Three: The Road Back)
    We have plenty of ice...with more on the way. Knowing how bad the roads were at 7:30 last night when I picked up my daughter from Color Guard practice (which blessedly ended an hour early), I still debated trying to get to the pool at 4:30 this morning. While I still think I made the smart move to bike downstairs (I did 20.5 miles), I am honestly a bit angry at myself for "chickening out". Of course, when I drove to work this morning (because we didn't close), I realized how bad the roads were and was more comfortable with my choice. For a moment...

My next mad-at-myself-moment is that I decided not to bring my swim stuff to work with me - and hit the pool on my way home since I'm already out in this mess. Of course, about the time I'm supposed to get off work is when the next storm is expected to start. So...go straight home with an easier commute or swim for 75 minutes and let the ice build....

This should be an easy choice - yet I just want to get to the pool. So much for starting of the February Fitness Challenge with a bang - or of hitting the swim every day of February part of the challenge. Guess I'll have to give up the ghost of the every day part and just focus on making up the yardage I can't swim today to hit the 100,000 yards in February mark. Of course, if I can't swim tomorrow too...

On the brighter side, we still power right now - and we have a fireplace and plenty of wood (and matches) just in case the power does go out. Anyone else in this storm's path - just be safe! My kids are already planning on another cancellation for tomorrow morning. Time will tell.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast