View RSS Feed

JenBrehob

1. Sandwiched between my kids and my parents

At our SCY championships I had a great time to speak with Rick Battistini, our coach du jour, and he had a lot of wisdom about taking care of one's parents.

I had been looking for any commiseratory blog entries but didn't see any.

My father had cancer and was taking a lot of extra care last year and he unexpectedly died of a massive heart attack on December 30th 2016.

My mother was not in great health at the time and took it understandably very poorly and had a sharp degradation in her own health.

I ended up 9-1-1ing her to the hospital for a 1 1/2 week stay and now she is rehabbing at home.

I have had to stop everything but coaching Masters 3x per week and am battling back to swimming time for myself for my own gratification and stress release and health.

I don't know how much longer my mom has and I have limited help form limited family nearby.

Since I've been coaching and teaching swimming, I have needed the support of my parents and this is really tough.

Last weekend at SCYs I was so tired I was not having fun until I could nap for 1 1/4 hours between events then had to scratch the last 2 because I had to get back to Mom and relieve my son from mom sitting!

I am figuring it out bit by bit!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. MHS Swim Team Assistant Coach, years 2 and 3

Last year, 2015-2016 our girls won the State Championship and our Head Coach Susan Guertin won a major coaching honor.

This year, 2016-2017 our girls came in 3rd at States with only 5 girls qualifying.

Decidedly worth it in many ways, mostly for the joy of working with the kids I have taught to swim over the years and way more fun than watching TV!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. NEM SCY Championship Effort untrained and not warmed up

I learned last Sunday the 19th of March at the 3rd day of the main weekend of NEM SCYs that if tired, just get up and go warm up anyway.

I only had time to warm up for 600 yards and I was in the first heat of the 400IM. It was very hard on my windpipe, needless to say! My time was about 3 minutes slower than the National record holder Laura Val!

Only 5 people entered in my age group so I still got us 12 points on that one.

However, my teammates were cheering and my walls were legal and I could have a lovely nap between that and the 50 fly.

We had 15 women's heats of the 200 free followed by 18 heats of the men's and then I made a 7th place on the 50 fly for a 7th place among many more swimmers.

I was so glad I showed up!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Assistant Coaching for Marblehead High School Swim Team

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014 MHS Team Photo.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	9331

2014 December through January I am having a great time and opportunity assisting the great Susan Guertin in coaching MHS swim team, along with Ted Millet. 1st year I'm doing it and it's impacting my free time, time with my kids and opportunities to work out for myself, not yet sure if it's altogether worthwhile although we are undefeated as of 1/20/15 after 6 meets and I'm learning a great deal! Also fun supporting my own home town team and my children's high school!

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. W 5:30-7:00am Devereux Beach, Marblehead, Open H2O Practice

Come and join us!
    Devereux Beach Haiku

Water Temp Sixty-one F
    Summer's first beach swim
    Bouncy Choppy Briny Bliss

Name:	Sean Katelyn Lindsay Tommy Sal #1.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	8781Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Goldthwaite View2.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	8782

Name:	Katelyn No Wetsuit 1.5 miles!.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	8783

We're having Wednesday a.m. practices at Devereux Beach in Marblehead this Summer, 5:30am to 7am.

'Wrote the haiku after the practice. Since Swimming editor Laura Hamel requested them they have been coming to me after swimming milestones!.

These are a few of the photos of the first mighty 5 YNS Sharks to swim open water practice in 2014. Katelyn Kidney swam it without a wetsuit the whole time, Tommy Gainer had taken his wetsuit out of the drawer after 4 years, it developed a broken seam, so he took his off after the mile. It was extremely choppy but they swam about 2300 yards as the Great Black-backed gull flies! Lt. to Rt., Sean Barow, Katelyn Kidney Lindsay Naggie, Tommy Gainer and Sal Genovese, who said, "thanks for getting us to the ocean Jen," Such a great reward for coaching my great group of swimmers of all levels!

Updated June 28th, 2014 at 10:39 PM by JenBrehob

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Strategy for 1650 SCY

It worked pretty well this year:

alternate 3 laps fast 3 laps slow then 150 afap at the end, building

I had only 3 splits over :50 and I want none over :50 in my goal to get to :45s

I hope to do the 1650 in 2015 at the SCY championships and beyond, also more distance swims this summer!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. One Hour Swim longsleeve arrived from the conquered! <3 it!

I can't wait to sport it on deck with my guard shorts and watches at practice tomorrow at 5:30am at the Lynch/van Otterloo YMCA!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. A Thanksgiving Practice to FEAST On!

Saving this for next year! Or as a Christmas Feast alternative!

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    by Kerry O'Brien

Featured in the November issue of STREAMLINES

Warm Up
    Swim 300 – Kick 200 – Pull 200
    ***NOTE: If you are counting calories (yards), take smaller servings and save room for pie!

Set I – Pick Your Veggie:
    Succotash (A Mixture of Strokes)
    Swim 10 x (25 – 25 – 50)
    • All on moderate intervals
    • 25s are different, non-free strokes
    • 50 is choice

(1000 yards)

OR:

Yams
    Swim 8 x (75 – 50)
    • All free
    • 75s @ +5 interval
    • 50s at +10 interval
    • Descend last 3 50s

(1000 yards)

Set II – Choose Your Meat
    White
    Swim 10 x (25 – 50 – 75)
    • All moderate intervals
    • 25s are of one stroke
    • 50s are of a second stroke
    • 75s are of a third stroke
    • You may change strokes from round to round

(1500 yards)

OR:

Dark
    Swim 6 x (100 – 100 – 50)
    • 1st 100@FPSO (Fastest possible send-off- fastest interval you can do)
    • 2nd 100@+10 interval
    • 50 is easy
    • 1st 3 rounds, descend 100s@FPSO
    • Last 3 rounds, descend 100s@+10 interval

(1500 yards)

Set III – The Stuffing
    8 x (25 kick – 50 drill/swim)
    • 25s are underwater dolphin kick on back/kick on back
    • 50s are choice

(600 yards)

Set IV – Pumpkin Pie
    Swim 24 x 25s
    • Alternate: 3 on fast interval; 2 at moderate/1 easy

Pie with Whuppin’ Cream:
    • Same set of 24, but any 12 are butterfly or hypoxic free

(600 yards)

TOTAL CALORIES: 4200 Yards
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Slower practice but I've made it to two Thursdays!

Today Bo came to practice and I made my 2nd Thursday practice!

I got up 15 min. earlier and I was still short 300 yards on the practice at the end because even though I was on time, the other swimmers were early!

I must remember: eat more earlier in the day so that if I have a night when I don't get dinner time I won't be so drained.

Do not take iron supplement before bed because then barfy feeling in pool in a.m.

Do take fish oil and e and c before practice.

Do bring food for ride home.

Today I was not fast but I knew I have such a big 3 days here starting now that I couldn't drain myself on the swim.

Next: register for Baystate Games for the Sunday swims, July 11th!

I believe it's 200 IM 100 Free 200 Back 200 Breast on that day. I will get some times for LCM!

Woohooo! Swimma Jen's racing career is evolving!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Faster Times, I think, today at Salem Y

I got two 1:09s for 100s - swam them differently but the first one was best...

I went out with about 8 dolphins off the wall then just cranked my arms into the next wall, only breathed something like 5 6 then took a fast gulp before the wall and then did 10 dolphins off the 2nd wall and came up and cranked my arms and only breathed something like 7 6 then again lots of dolphins with very few breaths, maybe a 9 and a four, then went off the wall fast, maybe 8 dolphins again and fast arms and legs on the last 25. I felt like I was actually using my arms fast and using my legs for power, wich is sometimes hard to Jenerate!

Then we did 4 x 200 for times and I went from 3:24 to 3:11 in there somewhere!

I did feel like barfing! Yech.

Got to practice 8 min. late, need to do better!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Jen's Swimming and Fitness Blog!

OK I'm doing it to keep track and in case anyone else wants to know, the information is right here!

I am doing the Y not get fit challenge with my twin mom buddy Joyce and fighting for time to connect with her about it.

I made it to my first Thursday Masters Practice at the Salem Y today and swam 3700! Great feeling!

There were 6 people there for Masters and the coach wasn't there but the workout was a) awesome and b) easily modified to make my own goals relevant.

So, I did the last 4 x 50 on 1:20 IM order and worked my turns. Also did all but the breaststroke on 1:00 instead of 1:20.

I did the 300 as 3 x 75 streamline kick/25 back with fins on 4:00 as free without the fins and really worked my left leg which apparently as a result of doing such a long kick is WAY WEAKER than my left! So I kicked on my side doing Jenny Luker's tightrope drill on the left side for 50 of the 75 kick and worked on relaxing for the swim. It took me just about the whole 4:00.

There was an evil 6 x 100 on 2:00 in there, and it was supposed to be free but I did fly with fins instead and worked my turns and relaxing and using my dolphin tail rather than crunching up from the stress and no air. I only swam one of them the whole way, then started incorporating drills and every time I did swim, concentrating on the mechanics of my turn and keeping my arms out wide to catch the water on entry and stretching out my lower back and using my dolphin tail (that means legs) so I can emphasize both the down and the up-beats of every kick. Way to make it WAY MORE FUN! Next time I hope to have consciousness available (enough air) to remember to check my HR after each 100. I was doing them on 1:30 pretty easily.

There was some set that was supposed to be free but I did it as back. What was it?

Oh yeah it was 6 x 200 as 50 smooth, 50 faster arms 50 big kick 50 swim fast on 4:00 and that took the whole 4 minutes each time or 3:55 at least. I was hurting for air and taking in water in my mouth and nose bigtime. I also need to roll more onto my right side and accellerate my arm pull as I grab the water and use my BICEP to push the water. I am trying to do 10 dolphins off each wall underwater and then pop up, no breath for the first 3 pulls, then start breathing.

Also per Jenny, stop breathing on the walls but IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE on the 100 Fly!

I gotta look up the Baystate Games and see what I can register for that would give me a chance to swim backstroke in a race. The rest would be just a pleasure. I must coordinate that plan with Bo who said she'd give me a ride!

Categories
    Uncategorized