Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Just be cautious, listen to your body, your friends, and don't be afraid to take a break.
    Hey Tim - first off thank you! We did have some really great culinary experiences at 4 Peaks Brewery and Culinary Dropout (to name a couple).

In my limited athletic experience - there are two kinds of pain. Good pain and bad pain. Good pain is that soreness in muscles you have after a great workout. Bad pain would be when your knees hurt after a run.
    So presuming I can workout intelligently, then learning to swim/run/bike through certain pains will be okay. Then maintaining a healthy sense of recovery will protect me from slamming my body into oblivion.
    Glad you had fun at Nationals! Hope you got to enjoy some good restaurants and other things in the area too!

I did want to comment on this part of your post--
    In terms of training, I had the time to look at this article. Mr. Crippen's philosophy on his training and his mindset on pushing oneself to the absolute brink is not something I've never thought about before. However I've never truly been inspired to put myself up to it until after reading this. I don't ever plan or even want to be compared to Fran, but perhaps - just perhaps I can teach myself to become even a millionth of the athlete that he was.
    I'd be a bit cautious of constantly pushing yourself to extremes. I'm sure Fran Crippen had a coach to help him manage his training.
    2 years ago, I got into some extreme training...swimming, weights, running. Really liked the results, and I kept thinking I could do even more. Eventually I got a horrible sprained ankle, but I was lucky.
    Just be cautious, listen to your body, your friends, and don't be afraid to take a break.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Nice drop in the 500!

Any idea yet on a date for the Firecracker meet?
    http://grinswim.wordpress.com/2011/0...011-swims-now/
    July 2, long course meters meet, IUPUI Natatorium.
    I totally checked! :-D
    Nice drop in the 500!

Any idea yet on a date for the Firecracker meet?
    Six events in 3 hours? You did great, considering the circumstances!
    I have never heard of a caffeine allergy before. An interesting phenomenon. I would imagine the opposite is more likely--a habituation where it no longer works terribly well. Sort of like with alcohol, Valium, etc.
    Remember when I asked you in an e-mail what you preferred to be called? I asked if you preferred "Michael" or "Mike", then threw out "Bzerk" as a play on Bzaks. Well, I am totally convinced after getting to know you pretty darn well through our back-and-forth emails and your blog posts that I should have stuck with "Bzerk"!

How do you DO all that you do? I would be loco to even attempt HALF of what you accomplish on a daily basis. Even when I was 25, I don't think I could have pulled it all off. And, I was one busy gal in my 20's!

Just make sure to take care of yourself and don't go too bzerk and BONK!

Cheers!
    You are an ANIMAL! Oh, to be 25, again...

Correction regarding my comment about your last meet: I have you beat in everything except freestyle!

Anyway, I AM proud of you!
    You KNOW I'm proud of you, Michael! Keep on working if you want to beat me in grudge matches, though, because I still have all your times beat! But, having said that, I would have NEVER survived what you did that day. The PTC Pentathlon was about as much as I could handle!

Congratulations!
    Quote Originally Posted by gigi
    WHat a great meet for you - lots of events, great times and a great time, I'm sure.
    Thanks! It was a blast! I'd do it ALL again in a heart beat. Those Indy meets are the best run meets ever. I told the wonderful lady who ran the meet that I'd make the trek to those meets as long as they kept having them there until I'm 98.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I recommend fewer events! That was more like a workout.
    That was kind of the point. I'm not at a position yet where I'm going to be beating any one but myself. So I might as well push myself to a point where I can barely stand and then be stronger for it!
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton
    You are one magnificent animal!
    Is that a "That's what she said moment?"

Either way - you're absolutely correct. Yes, Yes I am.
    WHat a great meet for you - lots of events, great times and a great time, I'm sure.
    I recommend fewer events! That was more like a workout.

Only 80-100 people? Sounds like another meet where attendance was down from last year.

Love that pool!

Good job!
    You are one magnificent animal!

Keep it up.

Check out advice for swimming the 200--I think your first 50 was a wee bit too fast.

More later.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I've never been smacked by a really fast swimmer. A really cute swimmer yes, but a really fast swimmer no. How did that work out for you?

Congrats on your swims. Your 800 was split better than your 200 but the 200 is actually a more difficult race to split well in my opinion. It is the first distance where strategy is critical and strategy is difficult to implement correctly.
    Hahahaha! Nadine just laughed - she knew I was talking about my own inexperience. As far as getting smacked - I haven't been smacked in years, and that was by a very cute and fast runner (as my H.S. had no pool).

I will try to do the 200 that way on purpose next time!

Thanks!!!
    Updated November 4th, 2010 at 07:29 AM by bzaks1424
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I'll answer for him: YES.

This is my favorite pool in the whole world, bar none. You were right to go to the meet. Well done, but that is a crapload of events, particularly as I imagine there were very few heats in between each race.

Great job.
    Thanks! I do love this pool as well!
    As far as heats go... Day 1 was nice, not a LONG time to rest, but enough time to catch my breath and relax for a second before I was on the blocks again.

Day 2... after that mile there was no end to the amount of time I could've used.
    Quote Originally Posted by evilwatersprite
    But it was all worth it to swim in that pool, wasn't it?
    Yes. Yes it is. This is my second meet in that pool, and I will make it to EVERY single masters meet in that pool or die trying!
    Quote Originally Posted by swimshark
    I can't believe you swam all those events. Way to go. Your splits on the 1500 are very impressive. I don't hold splits that well. Good job.
    Thanks! I'm not sure how I do it to be perfectly honest. Then again - I feel TONS slower after my first couple hundred, BUT apparently I'm swimming the same speed.
    Me: "How do you race a 200?"
    ND: "First 50 easy, 2nd and 3rd build, last 50 all out."
    Me: "So basically slow, slow, slightly less slow, fastish... got it."
    I've never been smacked by a really fast swimmer. A really cute swimmer yes, but a really fast swimmer no. How did that work out for you?

Congrats on your swims. Your 800 was split better than your 200 but the 200 is actually a more difficult race to split well in my opinion. It is the first distance where strategy is critical and strategy is difficult to implement correctly.
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast