Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    And Spring Training has started, so you have an influx of Red Sox and, I assume, Twins fans in town.
    That might partly explain the late February to March surge in Minnesota, Michigan, and Massachusetts vehicle license plates on the roads and in the parking lots.
    And Spring Training has started, so you have an influx of Red Sox and, I assume, Twins fans in town.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    Great job with so much swimming in a short time period, Frank! I love the fun at mini meets, and try to pick events to catch my breath. It's great to see that you are looking forward and always learning from you competition experiences.
    Thank you many times! As you said, I am learning with each race, and thankful to be making progress. It really is useful and constructive to have those local one day mini-meets.
    Great job with so much swimming in a short time period, Frank! I love the fun at mini meets, and try to pick events to catch my breath. It's great to see that you are looking forward and always learning from you competition experiences.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    You did great. With the winter you have had I would chalk this meet up as a huge success. Your times are very good and all that in two ours is awesome. Your splits throughout are very consistent indicating that despite you feeling fatigued you are actually in good shape. I am curious on your 200 how you swam so much quicker doing catchp than regular free. Do you feel like your e mechanics have a problem on free?
    Thank you! Five events in two hours is certainly not recommended towards swimming best possible times, but I wanted to do more events than two or three. It was a tradeoff and my goal was not on the final time, but rather the splits as you mentioned.

Over the many years of casual lap swimming I had adapted to long glides in my strokes and other bad habits. But if I forced faster tempo I lost efficiency. With the CU drill I was able to train myself to hold a better EVF front end in FR. So now I seem to swim best with about a 3/4 catchup, but still no glide. This is still a work in progress to do when I am racing or very tired. But when I can remain calm, focused or relaxed and restrain my tempo pulling with a rotation, keeping my head down, I seem to get more with less.
    Did you feel any shoulder discomfort going to the larger paddles? I think I recall you saying you were sticking with the smaller paddles to avoid any shoulder issues.
    That's right Steward, I have been specifically using the medium size, agility paddles and will continue, particularly in quality sets of high intensity and speed. But as you noticed I am beginning to use the larger paddles with some of the moderate intensity and steady swims. At this point, my left shoulder and elbow are mostly 98% recovered and stable. The circumstance now is to regain the strength and endurance I lost during my down time, which I had worked so hard to attain over 18 months of previous training.
    You did great. With the winter you have had I would chalk this meet up as a huge success. Your times are very good and all that in two ours is awesome. Your splits throughout are very consistent indicating that despite you feeling fatigued you are actually in good shape. I am curious on your 200 how you swam so much quicker doing catchp than regular free. Do you feel like your e mechanics have a problem on free?
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    Hi Frank,

There is nothing like the feel of easy speed in the beginning of a set.
    Yes, it is a great feeling while it lasts...
    Did you feel any shoulder discomfort going to the larger paddles? I think I recall you saying you were sticking with the smaller paddles to avoid any shoulder issues.
    Hi Frank,

There is nothing like the feel of easy speed in the beginning of a set.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I like the meet lineup and goals, plus the near guarantee (don't get DQ'd) of a Lifetime Best in the 100 IM! Glad to see you getting back into form, even though I can understand that it must be frustrating to have to go through this stage of getting back in shape.
    Thanks Patrick, I will do my best to not DQ away my chance for a lifetime best in the 100 IM! While it is frustrating to lose a quality level of fitness so fast and then the journey back is longer and more arduous, I can now see that when I thought my glass was half empty at that time, it was really already half full.
    I like the meet lineup and goals, plus the near guarantee (don't get DQ'd) of a Lifetime Best in the 100 IM! Glad to see you getting back into form, even though I can understand that it must be frustrating to have to go through this stage of getting back in shape.
    The pools in Florida are the most photogenic swimming pools anywhere. It's a shame they have this stupid policy but it is a pretty pool.
    Stuart, believe me - the pictures look better than actually being there. While training, competing in outdoor pools can be a great experience, there are many pros and cons for either indoor or outdoor facilities depending on so many variables. Some of the public pool and competitive aquatics issues in this part of SWF are more specific to the demographics and economic legacy of the region. I do my best to make the most of what there is for now in SWF. I am meeting new people each week on the pool decks who do triathlons, open water swimming, and there more emerging lap swimmers who want to learn more about becoming a better swimmer.
    So, Frank, are these pools not heated? Do they not have tarps?

I guess I don't understand this cold weather policy - is it a cost concern (e.g., too expensive to heat and/or not worth the staff time since enough people won't come to the pool) or a health concern (e.g., they fear people will get hypothermia)?
    Yes, all the pools are heated, most likely too much for my preference.

The San Carlos Community Pool does has new tarps, I noticed them the first day I was there recently. I need to ask whether they were provided by Lee County Rec or the GCST USA Club that uses that pool.

The Fort Myers Recreation Department is a low budget operation, and all of their aquatic facilities are all understaffed with limited hours, in fact there is one 8 lane facility that rarely open. The weather policy was just bumped up to 70F this year (during the summer, I guess when no one was paying attention). Apparently there are no swimmers or swimming oriented administrators in the management level, and so they strive to trim budget expenses with any kind of pathetic justification in the name of health and safely possible.
    The pools in Florida are the most photogenic swimming pools anywhere. It's a shame they have this stupid policy but it is a pretty pool.
    So, Frank, are these pools not heated? Do they not have tarps?

I guess I don't understand this cold weather policy - is it a cost concern (e.g., too expensive to heat and/or not worth the staff time since enough people won't come to the pool) or a health concern (e.g., they fear people will get hypothermia)?
    Welcome back, Frank, though I am very sorry to hear about both the pool and the accident. You will recover, for sure, though it will take some time. Let's hope that pool recovers, but it sounds like that's the way bigger unknown.
    Thanks Patrick, your example of recovery is/was a good one. As for pools, I have other pools that I will eventually join as a hedge against various weather, time, and travel issues. I certainly hope that FGCU comes back online ASAP. However, just yesterday, I engaged in various speculative chatter with coaches of Swim Florida Club (Stephanie Peacock is one of their swimmers) regarding that lawsuits based on construction faults and rebuilding costs of the FGCU Aquatic Center will be pending between various agencies and consultants. So now, there is no light at the end of the tunnel.
    Welcome back Frank! Injuries are a most annoying setback, but stuff happens. Glad you are on the mend. Hoping for 70+ degree weather for you!

Yes, I am hoping for the right kind of weather too! It is good to be on the mend, and I return with a greater appreciation of being able to train for fitness, competition, positive self esteem, along with being engaged with the local swim community and the online USMS forum community. There are many USMS swimmers who have encountered quite serious obstacles and circumstances beyond mine, where those stories of persistence, fortitude, and success are wonderful and amazing.
    Updated February 12th, 2014 at 10:52 PM by fdtotten
    Welcome back, Frank, though I am very sorry to hear about both the pool and the accident. You will recover, for sure, though it will take some time. Let's hope that pool recovers, but it sounds like that's the way bigger unknown.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin S
    Ditto. Glad to hear you are on the comeback trail!
    Thank you Calvin, and now once again I will be inspired by workout postings from you, Stewart, and other forum bloggers.
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast