Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    Good to see you pop back up on the blog, Frank, and love the goals. They should keep you going.

Hope you enjoy cycling and borrowing a bike to check riding out is a great idea, if you can get one that fits and is in good condition. I eventually found a decent, used, right size, Trek road bike on the web (craig's list) for much less than a new one. Also found it helpful to get it adjusted (fit) at a good bike shop to my body. Helmet, gloves, bike shorts, clip-in shoes, water bottles, etc. all cost some $s, so it is a bit of an investment. Be careful and good luck with it.
    Thanks! That's why I put the goals out there for all to see. I think that will help to keep going just like you commented. I loved to cycle in my younger days, and there are a number of cycling groups with terrific people to ride with in SWFL. I like your tips to get a bike and equipment, thanks.
    Good to see you pop back up on the blog, Frank, and love the goals. They should keep you going.

Hope you enjoy cycling and borrowing a bike to check riding out is a great idea, if you can get one that fits and is in good condition. I eventually found a decent, used, right size, Trek road bike on the web (craig's list) for much less than a new one. Also found it helpful to get it adjusted (fit) at a good bike shop to my body. Helmet, gloves, bike shorts, clip-in shoes, water bottles, etc. all cost some $s, so it is a bit of an investment. Be careful and good luck with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    I try to think about meets through the lens of measuring my training progress. When I think about swimming a certain time or preforming in a certain way, I just end up getting very nervous and not being able to get a good response to my training. It's a big change from my high school days when it was all about placing, making a time, or beating someone in the next lane. I like to make new friendships at meets which helps me to keep things in perspective. Your training is coming along really well...here's to an opportunity to test it out in a meet setting.
    Thanks for the encouragement! I am gradually learning to have the perspective you are talking about. When starting out again in USMS several years ago after about 20 years break, I trained mostly solo, had few local swimming friends, and went to one swim meet (Florida Senior Games) before entering several events at an USMS-FINA championship meet at Sarasota. So I really jumped way ahead of myself leading to unnecessary pressure. I was unprepared mentally as well as overtrained based on good intentions but lack of personal experience training as a 55+ swimmer. I went back to my lap-swim mode for awhile, but then later on when I started swimming OW at Vanderbilt Beach 8:30am every Sunday, as well as on holidays or school breaks, I made many more friends in OWS, triathletes, runners, and cyclists. Although I still swim solo most weekdays, I have more group swims that provide fun and challenges, and I started running as well. This time when I go the meet in Sarasota, I plan to go with several swimming friends.
    I try to think about meets through the lens of measuring my training progress. When I think about swimming a certain time or preforming in a certain way, I just end up getting very nervous and not being able to get a good response to my training. It's a big change from my high school days when it was all about placing, making a time, or beating someone in the next lane. I like to make new friendships at meets which helps me to keep things in perspective. Your training is coming along really well...here's to an opportunity to test it out in a meet setting.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    Beautiful picture! It's always great to swim with others that can push you, especially in the open water.
    Yes that's so true, and even though afterwards I may be very tired, but will always be inspired and grateful for our shared effort and good group support. As the Gulf water temperature warms up over the next several weeks and months, more swimmers of all levels will be there for the OW swims at VB.
    Beautiful picture! It's always great to swim with others that can push you, especially in the open water.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    There's always something supremely magical about seeing dolphins. Did you get at all close to it when you swam?
    This one was gone by the time we got started. There were a few times last fall when two or three dolphins were swimming about 15 yards off my left shoulder with the beach to my right, which is the closest I have experienced so far.
    There's always something supremely magical about seeing dolphins. Did you get at all close to it when you swam?
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    I'm so envious you can ocean swim in February. Even with temps in the 60s, that'd be tough though. Sounds like a really ince day though!
    Thanks! It took me several years after relocating to SWFL to discover the SWFL Open Water Swimming group at Vanderbilt Beach. Yes, it's really wonderful to swim in the ocean nearly all year round. I started last fall, so I have yet to experience how hot the water may get in July-August. The water temp was still in the low 70s/high 60s up to early January (we had several delightful New Years swims), but then the water temp dropped at bit with the storms later in January through most of February. There are several lakes nearby, but I have only occasional and limited access to them. More so, I have found that I prefer the ocean with the salt water, waves, surf, beach, etc,.
    I'm so envious you can ocean swim in February. Even with temps in the 60s, that'd be tough though. Sounds like a really ince day though!
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    For myself, sunny 63F in 84F water is super ideal conditions. welcome back to the blogs Frank!
    Thanks Steve! I and many of my swimming friends at FGCU are spoiled by the SWF weather, the great consistency of pool facility, and having our own lane!
    For myself, sunny 63F in 84F water is super ideal conditions. welcome back to the blogs Frank!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    Welcome back Frank. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts again.
    Thank you and I am glad to be back!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Welcome back to the blog-o-sphere, Frank! I tried to comment on your other post, but for some reason, comments were off.

Regarding the 12 x 300, I certainly think that would be good to build endurance and confidence ahead of a 3K OWS. Is there a swim again this summer in/around Naples?
    Thanks! My overall blog setting comments are on, and I will also check other settings to be sure.

The 2016 Open Water Swim Festival will take place April 8-9, which will include the USA 5K and 10K National Championships. I will swim the "Fran Crippen Sunset Mile" and the Festival 5K Race. There are no USMS sanctioned events as the event director prefers to just offer the one day USA membership fee for what would normally be masters events.

As possible we will set up either 1.2 and/or 2.4 OWS courses at Vanderbilt Beach for our informal and casual Sunday 8:30am SWFL OWS swims perhaps starting early March.

I am looking at doing the Hurricane Man 2.4 Mile Swim in Tampa Bay on May 7. There is a new 10K+ event, Swim Fort De Soto at Tierra Verde on November 5, that I believe I could do solo, which is also after I age up to 60 in September.
    Updated February 5th, 2016 at 10:10 PM by fdtotten
    Welcome back Frank. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts again.
    Welcome back to the blog-o-sphere, Frank! I tried to comment on your other post, but for some reason, comments were off.

Regarding the 12 x 300, I certainly think that would be good to build endurance and confidence ahead of a 3K OWS. Is there a swim again this summer in/around Naples?
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    It's great to see you posting again Frank. So glad you have set some goals and I look forward to reading about your progress.
    Thank you Stewart! It is always a pleasure to observe your training consistency and excellent competition progress, as well as to read your postings and comments. Perhaps I have come to realize what many forum posters already know, which is that by posting workouts, one tends to be more focused along with a higher quality effort in training whether solo or with a team.
    Updated February 5th, 2016 at 10:12 PM by fdtotten
    It's great to see you posting again Frank. So glad you have set some goals and I look forward to reading about your progress.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    And Spring Training has started, so you have an influx of Red Sox and, I assume, Twins fans in town.
    That might partly explain the late February to March surge in Minnesota, Michigan, and Massachusetts vehicle license plates on the roads and in the parking lots.
    And Spring Training has started, so you have an influx of Red Sox and, I assume, Twins fans in town.
Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast