View RSS Feed

Colleen Conway's blog

1. Humor and friendship help meeting goals

by , November 16th, 2012 at 12:46 PM (Colleen Conway's blog)
    So I watch way too much BRAVO tv, Real Housewives all of that. At the end of every practice that I do with my husband, we usually do around 12 x 25s fly sprint.

He goes ten seconds ahead of me, and then lets me know what my time is. When I touch the wall he will tell me my time and if anyone were sitting near us they would probably be laughing their head off because we sound like an old bickering couple. It usually goes like this:

Kyle: "Ok 13. Good."...."Mid 13"
    Me: "What do you mean?? Was it 13 or really 14? Are you lying to try to boost my confidence? My coach used to pull that, dont do that, I have to improve" (....next 25)
    Kyle: "ok you were almost at 12....but you hit on the 13..."
    Waa Waa Waa etc. LOL.

So lately my new thing, to add humor to our 25s, is when I touch the wall, he can say a certain word when I touch depending on the time. This pretty much makes both of us choke on water at the wall with laughter. Our scale goes like this. So for a 25 fly, a 13 is greattttt. A 12 is fabulousssss. An 11 would be excellenttttttt. Now you have to imagine these words drawn out in a really hilarious over the top manner... thats where imitating characters like some of the housewives from reality shows on BRAVO comes in, really over the top. Anyways, these sorts of things do make me laugh when I'm about to do a sprint,and having fun while swimming, and having humor about it makes it worthwhile.

I have been doing consistent 13s now. A month or so ago I was doing 14-15s. So my goal is to start hitting 12s. My ultimate life goal is 11s and I would be a happy camper.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Team hot or cold water....?

by , November 14th, 2012 at 03:09 PM (Colleen Conway's blog)
    SO the past three days, I have made my poor husband come to the Y pool with me, which has been insanely busy with highschool teams, the club team...(you pretty much have to go in the morning otherwise you end up sharing a lane of a 12 lane pool with three other people but he doesnt have that option). Since Hurricane Sandy he has been working 16 hour days putting peoples power back on, and the last thing he probably wanted to do was get in the pool when he only had a few hours to sleep, but bc I havent seen him much I gave him a puppy dog face and he came with and both times he thanked me lol. So because of the pool being so busy this time of year we had a choice of either sharing one lane in the cold pool or one lane in the hot pool, with other people. Its crazy. We spent two practices in the hot pool and it was pretty nice not to be freezing my butt of. These are the times when I wish I lived somewhere really warm like Florida or California, at least I can reminisce to college days when swimming in an outdoor sunny pool was how I spent a lunch. Getting out of bed is hard in these temps! Brrrr. But the question that really came to my mind, was which type of temperature is better for training over time? I would assume warm, because it loosens your muscles etc. but then again one gets really hot and constantly has to hydrate. Hmmm..... Not important, just made me think.
    Categories
    Uncategorized