View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

My USMS Times

YouTube Videos of my swims

1. Saturday, October 26, 2013 Linfield Alumni Meet Recap

by , October 27th, 2013 at 03:20 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    I had a great time today, even though it only lasted a short while. The actual competition portion of the meet was maybe an hour and a half. Very tiring for those who swam a bunch. Some people were just there for social hour. Not me...I'm going to swim after traveling this far!

Scheduled order of events:
    200 Medley Relay - Fly
    100 IM - I would've done this too, but I was saving for the Fly
    100 Breast
    200 Free (200 Fly)** done as a bonus heat
    50 Free - did a 25 of it
    200 IM
    50 Breast
    100 Fly
    50 Back
    100 Free
    50 Fly
    100 Back
    200 Free Relay - Leadoff

I swam each of the BOLDED events above.

It was a very fun day. We had about 20 alum there this year, which is just huge! Mainly all recent grads who I didn't really know. There were a few from the early 2000s that I'd heard of, and swim in other alumni meets before with, and another from the class of '95, who was the former 200 and 500 Free record holder before I arrived on campus.

200 Medley - I was with two girls (who did Back and Dolphin Breast). I did Fly, and another speedy guy did Free. We were in a bring up the end of the heat situation, so I just tried to catch up, as did Kevin - our anchor leg.

The 200 Fly was just a challenge I threw to the coach a while back on Facebook, to see what he had for kids this year. The best he could give me was a freshman with a lifetime best of 2:19. Well, I made a race of it...going out in 1:01 at the 100 split, right on par with my normal in-season swims. I could see I was way ahead of the other boy, so I stopped and waited for him at the 175 mark. Then we raced the final 25 home. I still finished in 2:18, and he was 2:19. My friend said I was on the wall a good 10 seconds or so, so I was probably looking at a pretty decent time had I continued on to the finish without waiting. The freshman thanked me for waiting for him, and not crushing him badly.

50 Free - "We" went a 21.66. I took the 2nd length of the race with a running dive start from the turn end of the pool. I'm not sure who did the first length, but I just said, "hey, go swim a 25 and I'll relay it with you". The 21.6 is right on my lifetime best time. To think I used to actually go that fast on my own legally!!

200 IM - more of a stretchout swim. Had I realized there was two alumni kids relaying it against me in the far lane I would've tried a little harder to beat them. They went 2:16 to my 2:20.

100 Fly - my real race with the two guys on the team who can really swim. I took this one as a running start again, timing the "take your mark" with my run pretty well. Gary (the coach) didn't know I was doing a running start though, and just as I came in said "stand up"...and I was airborne! It was great! I ended up giving away what I was going to do, but repeated the running start again. I was caught by the 50 point of the race by one kid though, and he and I raced to the finish. I ended up getting touched out at the end though. We were both 58-lows on the clock.

100 Free - this was my cooldown. I did a negative split race though to catch up and pass quite a few kids. Went a :57something

100 Back - this one was a "I'm a cheater" swim (like none of my other swims). I had my short fins in my bag, and put them on for this race. My SDKs off the start and first turn were great, and then the oxygen debt started to fatigue me. I managed to go a 1:00.5. Decent I guess.

200 Free Relay, I led it off with a 25.04. I'm not the greatest at sprinting anymore, but our team ended up winning the relay. This is the Alumni's event anyway, they always have to win this one!