View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

My USMS Times

YouTube Videos of my swims

1. Sun, Dec. 30, 2012 Animal Meet Results, Canby, Oregon

by , December 30th, 2012 at 11:15 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    This weekend was the annual Animal Meet weekend in Canby, Oregon. It started off as a USAS meet, and they have now piggybacked a masters version on at the end of the weekend for us to have some fun.
    Masters have the option of doing the:
    • Sprint - 100 IM, 50 Fly, and 200 Free
    • Middle - 200 IM, 100 Fly, and 500 Free (also what the 12 & under USAS kids do)
    • Distance - 400 IM, 200 Fly, and 1000 Free (also what the 13 & over USAS kids do)
    • Or Masters can pick and choose between all the events (e.g. 200, 500, 1000 Free)
    • An "Animal" award trophy is given to the fastest male and female in each of the categories, Sprint, Middle, and Distance (I went Trophy Hoing today)

The meet doesn't get very populated, partly due to the event selection, and partly from the time of year as well I suppose. I only travel down for this meet because I visit my grandparents for a few days as well on the same trip. I don't think I'd travel this far normally for just 3 events either.

Warmed up about 800 yards or so - I had to get into the "masters mood" rather than the age grouper I've been lately. Lots of 50s and 100s of mostly free and a few lengths of backstroke, with lots of talking in between. I wasn't worried about my swims, knowing my conditioning would carry me through no problem. I really only wanted to do well in my final race of the day, the 1000.
    Did this meet on heavy Christmas training, with no additional rest aside from no swimming on Saturday (yesterday).

400 IM - 4:40.60 - not bad for a "cruise".
    1:00.57 / 1:15.05 / 1:22.19 / 1:01.79
    Got the splits from my old head coach that I used to work with here in Canby. He was there with his high school boys/girls swimmers who were our timers for the day.

200 Fly - 2:14.07 - whatever...not bad for how I swam it
    I told myself that I wasn't going to push it, and that my final 50 was going to be the fastest split of the 4. Who does this???
    Well, my final 50 was a 31.5ish, but not quite the fastest - my initial 50 was a 31.0. I did even split the 200 Fly, which is tough to do in itself

1000 Free - 10:47.92 - very happy with this
    I was only 3 seconds off from my best time in the 1000, so considering the training I'm doing, this is good. I'm sporting a full beard right now, didn't wear anything remotely close to a "fast" suit either, just some plain ol' brief. I just got in a zone and went for it. The guy next to me said his goal was for me not to lap him 3 times. Knowing that, I tried to do just that, and got him 3 times on my final 50.
    Eric told me my splits were (roughly):
    1:00/1:05/1:06/1:05/1:05
    1:05/1:05/1:04/1:04/1:02