View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

My USMS Times

YouTube Videos of my swims

1. 3-23 thru 3-30 Back from El Salvador

by , March 31st, 2013 at 01:51 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    I had a great time away on my family visit trip to El Salvador. It is a whole new experience to go to a third world country, and just live right amongst them for a week like we did. At least we had family to be with the whole time.

Got to the airport in the afternoon around lunchtime, and it was HOT! We were greated by my wife's brothers and their families, and my mother in law. We gathered our stuff and headed out to the shade beneath one of the many palms to enjoy a nice home meal from Pizza Hut! I ate like crazy, not knowing what I'd have later on.

After finding that a rental truck was over $700 for the week (outrageous), we just piggybacked in the two brother's trucks back to my MIL's house, about a 2 hour drive or so. Driving is very different there. You just drive, pass, and get there how you can. Everyone uses trucks, 'cause you can pile in more people that way, and not a lot of folks even have a vehicle, so walking or biking is another mode of transportation.

Housing is what it is. You make a place where you can. Land just gets claimed by a family, you build a wall/fence around it and use it. Houses are made out of cinderblocks if they can afford it, or adobe mud blocks, or in one case, I saw a house made of corn stalk bundles (temporary) while waiting for their other house to get constructed. It's hard to really describe it, and pictures don't tell the whole story either...you literally have to see it and live it to understand how life is.

This is my mother in law's house in the patio area out back:

This is a picture from a house that was being constructed near my brother in law's house in the mountains. Adobe mud block, with the roof trusses being lifted into place. They're made out of wood from mango trees, a very dense, heavy, strong wood:

We went to a local swimming pool "resort" area down the road from my MIL's house for a day, and had fun. I even had a nice import beer with my lunch there...Miller Genuine Draft. First drink in a while, and it was yummy. There were 5 pools at this place, all of them for playing, but I made use of one early in the day before others got there to do some lap swimming. The pool water was so cloudy that I couldn't see past my elbow in front of me either. I swam along one side, and found some landmarks to let me know when the end of the pool was coming. No flip turns, didn't need to risk smashing my heels. It was roughly 20 yards long or so, I took between 10-11 strokes after my streamlines. It felt great to be around the water and get out of the heat for the day, and the food there was just great!

The "lap pool" (notice that no firearms are allowed):

Another day we took a trip to a beach area, Playa El Espino. Found a place to park in a secured area with patio tables, covered, with hammocks, rinsing showers, and bathroom facilities...a big plus for sure! We had fun playing in the waves, picking up shells, found a couple live sand dollars, lots of crabs, a few cupfulls of clams. The crabs and clams became dinner later that day. The waves were just intense! 6-10 foot waves out were I was at, and almost as fierce closer in to shore. I did try a little OW swimming while there, going down the shoreline a bit. Kept an eye on the large cell tower above the resort I was at for a landmark, but didn't venture very far. I know my capabilities, and didn't want to push them to the limit. I had my fun, and then just played in the waves the rest of theday.
    I was anywhere from 30-50 yards out from shore and still able to stand in chest deep water, but those waves let you know who the boss was of the place. I body surfed a few of the waves quite a ways, and one all the way back in to my family. The beach lifeguards had to go out after a couple guys too, so that was kind of exciting to watch the action. The one guy had a life jacket on, and the other guy was holding on to him. 1 jacket isn't made for 2 people, so they were in trouble, and neither of them could swim very well. The guards made it out and got them back in okay after a long time battleing the ocean waves. They also closed the area to any "swimming" for a while until things calmed down.

We spent much of our time going in and out of the local city, Usulutan. It's the 5th largest city in the country. Everywhere you go, you see police presence. Every place that has money, drugs (pharmacies), or valuables, has armed guards stationed at them like this Western Union money office:

The city streets are just crowded. It's a car-first world. Pedestrians and bikes just have to get out of the way. Driving, you just stick the nose of your vehicle out there and hit the gas. No one worries about tailgaters, they just drive. Pass when you can, and get there. I never saw one accident the whole time I was there, yet with the same conditions here in America, people would've been slamming on brakes, veering out of the way, causing more havoc than needed. In a way, they people of El Salvador know how to drive better. I took a turn at the driving and just loved it. I fit right in, and it was great to just get out and go. You still have your limits with speeding, though it's not anything written down. The police put out moving roadblocks through series of cones along the highways that you must slow down through, and they check the vehicles as they go by for anything illegal.

Here's a few shots of the city streets of Usulutan:

A great trip for sure. I had a lot of fun, and if any of you want to see more pictures of the trip, I have them all uploaded on my Facebook account
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Wed, March 20, 2013 7:00-9:00pm Last Blog for dayzzzzzzz....

by , March 21st, 2013 at 03:07 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    February Fitness Challenge Results just came out as I was typing the blog, so here they are:
    http://www.barracudas.org/pool/febfi...ultBooklet.pdf

292 total people participated in the FFC this year. I was 1st in my age group for the 35-39 Males, with 125,750 yards swum. That yardage ranked me 18th among all men, and 30th among all men/women combined. All of the men who swam more than me were older as well. Likely they are all retired from real work, and have the ability to swim day and night as they please. I only swim 25 of the 28 days, and I had to go out of my way to get some of those days in. I don't know how people can manage to swim day after day after day without a rest day. Your body needs some time to rebuild itself.

=============================================

I took yesterday off from the pool to work on my truck. It was a simple job of changing the starter, but the complicated part was doing it outside on the gravel driveway, in the evening with no light but worklights, in the rain, with a tarp hung over the front of the truck off the garage to shield water away. The whole job was quick...maybe 15-20 minutes total time of actual mechanical stuff...maybe. It was the setup and teardown that took the time.

----------------------------------

I was sluggish today in the pool:
    John split the group into the super taper group for Sectionals, and the 5 of us (ME here) not going to Sectionals.

Warmup:

800 Free
    800 SDK w/ long fins - cruised about 1:15-1:20 pace/100
    I finally purchased my own long fins!! Yippiee, and they're comfy too!
    800 Free Pull
    (2400/2400)

Main Set:

4 x 200 IM Fast @ 5:00 went 2:31/2:32/2:34/2:34
    1:00 extra rest
    4 x 200 Stroke (did back) @ 5:00 - went 2:35-2:38s
    1:00 extra rest
    4 x 200 Free @ 5:00 - went 2:20-2:22, last one tried and did a measley 2:15

100 EZ swim
    (2500/4900)

4 x 100 Free @ 1:15 went 1:06/1:07/1:07/1:04 - just plain tired
    1:00 rest
    4 x 50 Free @ 1:15 went :27/:28/:28/:27 - legs sore, but managed
    4 x 25 Free @ 1:15 went fast
    (700/5600)

200 EZ and out

---------------------------
    5800 Yards

===========================================

This is my final official swim practice until after Easter weekend folks. I'm taking tomorrow off from the pool to get last things packed up for our family trip to El Salvador. It's where my wife is from, and we're going to visit the place she grew up, live life like she did, and worship the U.S. soil when we return.

It's not going to be luxary by any means folks. We'll be at my mother in law's house for most of the time there. The house is a small (VERY SMALL) two room house of sorts. Bathroom is outside in what we'll call and outhouse. Bathing...I'll figure that out later. Water will be all bottled store bought. I may actually drink a few cervezas for the first time in over 11 years as well. At least it won't make me sick like the local water would. Oh, and kiss the English language goodbye for a week as well! I'll be without internet too, but I'll be fine. It's gonna be hot. Low 90s for the high, but the low at night is low 70s. Not a lot of break period from the heat. Sleeping conditions...we're gonna be a big happy family.

My MIL lives in my house with me year round, but takes a month or two each year to return to her home in El Salvador. My wife just hasn't been back there since she left the country in 1999, and is now making the trip again. Her first time on a plane...should be interesting. :littleJamesdevilsmile: The three little ones will be coming along too. It'll be fun.

We're also visiting her two brothers and their families as well. The ocean isn't too far away, and we're planning a couple of days hopefully there. There is a new aquatic center of some sort down the road from where we're staying...maybe I'll check it out, but I honestly had no real intentions of lap swimming on this vacation. I'll still have my suits and goggles with me though. Never leave home without them.

Most of all, we're going to try to be safe, and hopefully not run into "situations" down there. My other brother in law is also going down with us. He lives here in town, and knows the area well. I'm confident things will be fine, but you never know what to expect.

Nice knowing you all...pictures hopefully coming later...
  3. Monday, March 18, 2013 7:00-9:00pm

by , March 19th, 2013 at 02:05 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Warmup:

400 Free
    8 x 50 w/ long fins "core kick" @ 1:00
    (800/800)

6 x 200 Free Pull @ 4:00 Desc. 1-3, 4-6
    • went 2:15/2:10/2:03
    • then 2:14/2:10/2:02

(1200/2000)

16 x 50 IM Order (4 Rounds of Fly/Back/Breast/Free) @ 1:15

• Round 1: 3 SDKs on Fly/Back/Free, 3 sec. hold on the streamline phase of the Breast
    • Round 2: 5 SDKs " ", 4 sec. hold " "
    • Round 3: 7 SDKs " ", 5 sec. hold " "
    • Round 4: 9 SDKs " ", 6 sec. hold " " + did a bonus Backstroke on this one 'cause some people didn't do it right...majorly

(850/2850)
    Not bad overall...brings back memories of the good ol' college IM days that I remember. I usetacould do a 200 Back w/ 15Meter SDKs, but that takes work that I'm not willing to do at this stage of my career.

3 x Broken 100s @ 3:00 w/ :10 rest between 25s Choice Stroke
    Did Free - :53, :53, :52
    400 EZ Cooldown
    (700/3550)

John split off the Age Group Sectional kids to the deep tank for some EZer stuff, while he beat the hell out of the rest of us:
    8 x 100 Free @ 1:30 Max Rest
    (went 1:01/:02/:02/:02/:04/:03/:02/:00) I was hurting in the middle, but brought it back home strong
    (800/4350)

Everyone together again:
    16 x 50 SDK w/ long fins @ 1:00 Odds EZ/Evens Fast
    Last one was a :29
    (800/5150)
    I had fun with the long fins...I finally got around to purchasing some of my very own too...tired of getting my @ss kicked while using my short fins all the time.

500 EZ and out

--------------------------
    5650 Yards

That was just what I needed today. Back to the grindstone...somewhat. A little bit of speed, a little bit of endurance, but felt really good. I really like training with our team...doing the longer rest/higher quality repeats...rather than slugging away at rep after rep of low rest distance like the old days.

---------------------------------------

Only 4 more days till I get outta the U.S. as well, on our family trip to El Salvador to visit my wife's hometown, live the life for a week, and make it home...FAST.
  4. Fri, March 15, 2013 7:00-8:30pm

by , March 16th, 2013 at 01:13 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Tonight was more of a splash around day. There were only 5 kids that came to the practice. Due to a calendar change mix up, 4 others showed up at the earlier time slot with the other group...so they swam then.

It was a really laid back practice...set up by John for the kids tapering for Sectionals next week...though the 5 of us there were not going to Sectionals. Oh well, it was nice to go easy, and fast too.

Warmup:

800 (25 Free/25 Back/25 V-sit Scull/25 Free)
    (800/800)

16 x 25 SDK w/ short fins underwater @ 1:00
    (400/1200)

3 x Broken 200s @ 6:00 w/ :15 rest between each 50 - Do Major Strokes
    • 1st Fly - broken ~2:10
    • 2nd Fly - broken ~2:07
    • 3rd IM - broken ~2:13

(600/1800)

3 x 200 (50 EZ Drill/50 EZ Swim) @ 4:30
    (600/2400)

16 x 25 @ 1:00 Choice/Major Strokes (1 EZ/1 Build/1 AFAP)
    did all Free - had fun with these
    200 EZ
    (600/3000)

THere was another 30 minutes of stuff on the board, but I chose to get out and get some rest for my work in the morning. Overtime is good, and I'll get it when I can!

--------------------------
    3000 Yards

GTD is catching up with me slowly with all these taper workouts lately. I need to get cranking back up again soon, even though I've only got 7 days left till my trip out of the country.
  5. Thurs, March 14, 2013 7:00-8:30pm

by , March 15th, 2013 at 01:43 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    John is gone to Federal Way for Sr. Sectionals Championships, where I guess Missy Franklin is heating up the pool. My two teammates swam well today. Hannah went a 52.1 to place 38th in the women's 100 Free. Top 32 make finals. She was just 3 tenths off from her high school state time, so that was good. Jared swam a 200 Breast today and got a best time of 2:15. Not bad for a just turned 15 year old. Congrats to both of them. They'll be swimming an event each day all weekend.

So we had a substitute coach today. It was our Novice coach, who is also the masters coach, so it was nice to see her. As far as coaching the practice groups...it was kind of like I remember when we had a substitute teacher in school. Hectic as hell. We were divided into 3 groups: The sectional tapering kids from both groups (in 2 lanes), the leftover Black Group (in 1 lane), and the White Group (in 3 lanes).
    I was in the Black Group lane. We had 6 people in there of varying ability levels, but mixed well enough, did a :02-:03 sendoff between people. I didn't push things as hard as I normally do, just to keep the chaos to a minimum.

Warmup:

500 Free
    2 x 200 "IM" (25 Str./25 Free) @ 3:30
    8 x 50 Choice @ 1:15 EZ/Fast by 25s
    (1300/1300)

3 x 200 @ 1:00 rest - I started the 1:00 from the 2nd person in the lane, to be fair to the group.
    • 1st 200 is EZ Free (2:25ish)
    • 2nd 200 Free Pull (2:20ish)
    • 3rd 200 Fast Free (2:15)

(600/1900)

10 x 100 SDK w/ short fins @ 1:30 (ranged 1:16-1:20)
    (1000/2900)

2 x 300 @ 6:00

• 1st Free (3:30)
    • 2nd IM (3:55)

200 EZ
    200 Free Drill (did 3 stroke breathing) w/ Sun Yang 3 breaths on first 3 strokes off turns as well. Fun to "play"
    (1000/3900)

6 x 100 Fast Free @ 2:00 (went 1:02s)
    (600/4500)

200 EZ

-----------------------------
    4700 Yards

Got out early for work in the morning again. I guess this is my last 4:00am morning, as they're going back to 8 hour days next week, so I'll get to sleep in and only have to start at 5:00am.
  6. Wed, March 13, 2013 7:00-8:30pm

by , March 14th, 2013 at 01:27 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Warmup:

400 Free breathe every 5 (or 2 or 4, or 2/2/2/2/2/1)
    400 Kick w/ long fins
    400 Free Pull breathe every 5 (or whatever)
    Masters just don't need to constrict their breathing IMO
    (1200/1200)

16 x 75 SDK w/ long fins @ 1:30
    4 Rounds of: EZ, Build by 25s, EZ, SPRINT
    went :43s on the fast ones, :41 on the final one
    (1200/2400)

4 x Broken 100s @ 3:30 w/ :10 between 25s
    Did Free/Free/Free/Fly
    Went :54/:53/:53/:57

200 EZ
    (600/3000)

Sectional Kids went to the deep tank for some cross pool sprints or something, we did:
    4 x 200 Fast, Max Rest, Choice of Stroke @ 4:00
    • #1 - Free - went 2:06
    • #2 - Fly - went 2:18 dying...this hurt at the end
    • #3 - Free - went 2:12, still hurting from the fly
    • #4 - Back - went 2:30

100 EZ
    (900/3900)

1000 Free (50 EZ/50 Moderate) breathing every 3
    I did a 500 and got out...gotta work at 4:00am again. I'm starting to get used to the minimal rest stuff now.

4400 Yards
  7. Tues, March 12, 2013 5:30-7:30pm

by , March 13th, 2013 at 01:05 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    We started out with a small awards from the meet last weekend. It was a last chance qualifier meet for the Sectional Meet in 2 weeks. A few kids got some of their times for the meet.

Our group was split into 3 different workouts today. 2 kids super tapering for Sr. Sectionals this weekend, 9 semi-tapering for Sectionals in a week and a half, and 8 or so doing endurance based not-fun workout.
    Luckily, I got put in with the kids tapering for Sectionals, even though I'd probably rather do the endurance workout, my body probably couldn't handle it right now anyway.
    I don't mind taper time right now, especially with how tired I am. Let the kids taper, I'll join right in with them.

Warmup:

600 (25 Free/25 V-Sit Scull)
    (600/600)

10 x 100 SDK w/ short fins @ 1:40 Odds EZ, Evens Fast
    my fast ones I ranged from 1:10-1:14. I found if I came off the wall on my stomach or side vs. on my back, I could SDK further.
    (1000/1600)

3 x Broken 200 Stroke @ 6:00 w/ :15 rest between 50s
    I did Fly - 1st time in a long time that I've actually had the lane space to truly do fly in practice.
    Went Broken ~2:07, ~2:05, ~2:06
    I wasn't exactly all out, but it was a strong pace and felt good.

200 EZ
    (800/2400)

10 x 50 Stroke Drill Choice @ 1:30
    Did Fly, 3-3, 2-2, 1-1, then Full Stroke to end
    (500/2900)

10 x 25 from the middle @ 1:00 working on fast good turns
    (250/3150)

6 x 25 ALL OUT Choice @ 1:00 - did Free
    (150/3300)

400 EZ

-----------------------
    3700 Yards
  8. Monday, Mar. 11, 2013 7:00-8:00pm

by , March 12th, 2013 at 12:50 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    I'm still doing these crazy hours at work this week, and probably again next week. I started this morning at 3:30am, which came early after daylight savings time too...then I worked a 12 hour day as well. I did finish off last week with 54.5 hours, which will be nice on Wednesday, and I can look forward to it again for a couple more weeks...then our trip to El Salvador for some much needed R&R.

I swam the first 35-40 minutes of practice tonight on my own. We had a guy from USA Swimming who came to visit our team, and give a talk to the kids and then to the parents. I asked John if I could just get in and swim on my own since I was leaving early. I've already done the USA stuff once, and don't need to learn any more on Round 2...at least not tonight.

SOLO
    Warmup:

400 Free
    300 Free Pull
    200 Flutter Kick w/ board
    100 Free w/ 2,3,4,5 SDKs off walls, increasing 1 each length
    (1000/1000)

My Main Set: Not kicking!

100 Free Pull @ 1:30 (went 1:10)
    200 Free Pull @ 2:30 (went 2:15)
    300 Free Pull @ 3:30 (went 3:22)
    200 Free Pull @ 2:30 (went 2:20)
    100 Free Pull @ 1:30 (went 1:15)
    I backed off a bit on the way down at the end...

200 IM Strong Pace (about 85-90% effort) went 2:26

100 EZ
    (1200/2200)

300 SDK w/ long fins
    slight calf cramping
    (300/2500)

Joined by the kids now for "regular" workout...

"Warmup"
    600 (25 Free/25 V-sit scull)
    (600/3100)

12 x 100 SDK w/ fins @ 1:40 (odds EZ, evens Fast)
    I did 3 of them, EZ, Fast (1:05), EZ
    (300/3400)

3400 Yards

That's all folks...I gotta work at 4:00am all week long, so these late nights just aren't going to fly this week. Hitting the hay
  9. Saturday, March 3, 2013 Coeur d'Alene, ID Meet Results

by , March 10th, 2013 at 01:09 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Got up this morning and left about 5:30am, which was a 2 hour sleep in for me, so I was happy. At least I wasn't going to work, but I do have to go in on Sunday morning instead since I missed today for the meet. Work still has to get done.

There were about 60 people in the meet today, but it was spread out nicely on the total timeline, going from ~10:15am till 4:30ish pm when the final 1500 heat finished. I didn't space out the events too well though, doing the first 2, last 2, and one in the first 1/3 of the meet as well, in addition to 3 relays with my workout group. It was a good day of swimming, having over 3000 meters of racing in 8 races, plus all the warmups/cooldowns, and the 205 miles of driving each way to and from the meet.

200 IM - 2:25.27
    30.04 / 38.23 / 43.72 / 33.28
    My legs were just dead after the backstroke...during the breaststroke leg, I thought to myself "boy the 400 IM is going to hurt later".

400 Free - 4:33.08
    30.80 / 33.73 (1:04.53)
    34.91 / 35.13 (1:10.04)
    35.17 / 34.99 (1:10.16)
    34.55 / 33.80 (1:08.35)
    Not too shabby. A few seconds slower than last fall, but this was a few heats after the 200 IM as well. At least it was split decently.

50 Free leadoff in the 200 Free Relay - 26.76
    Pretty sure this is a SCM best time in the 50 for me.

200 Free - 2:08.01
    29.44 / 32.18 / 33.29 / 33.10
    This was a better swim than this meet last year, at least in terms of time. I got "dusted" (to use That Guy's words) by Larry Krauser, a 60 year old who just set the World Record in the 200 Free right next to me. He dusted me by 0.05 seconds, but did admit that I gave him a hell of a draft for the first 150 of the race.

100 Fly split in the 400 Medley Relay - 1:05.40
    This was just fun with the team. I caught us back up after the neighboring relay left us in the breaststroke leg. Good thing our Wenatchee team has a flyer

200 Free leadoff in the 800 Free Relay - 2:19.40
    I originally was going to do the 200 like normal, but my earlier time was good enough, so thought I'd do a 100 Split Request. Went a 59.30 UGH!! super tired!!, and then had to finish my leg as quickly as I could manage. Our team was going for the LMSC record as well. We did get that by about 5 seconds.

400 IM - 5:19.11
    32.07 / 37.55 (1:09.62) - serious...I tried to go easy
    43.37 / 42.85 (1:26.22)
    46.19 / 46.56 (1:32.75)
    35.40 / 35.12 (1:10.52)
    I was just DEAD prior to this race. I didn't want to swim it, but did it anyway on sheer principle. You sign up for it, you swim it.

1500 Free - 18:19.46 - New LMSC Record

I was semi-dead tired prior to this one as well, and almost just fell into the pool off the blocks. We had no counters either (our fault for not trying to find one), but magically around lap 17 or so some numbers starting appearing in my lane! Thank you mystery person!! I wouldn't have been able to count the whole thing myself.
    I just cruised alongside That Guy for the first 3-400 of the race. My UGHness starting wearing off, so I decided to pick up the pace a bit to see what happened, and I felt okay. I kept looking over to T.G. to see if he was coming, but didn't seem to want to. Around the 800, I tried giving another speed increase, and was still feeling good...slowly increasing my lead. 300 to go, one last speed increase. WAIT A MINUTE!!...cancel that. I'm fine at my 800 cruising speed. Finished the race and just hung on to the wall, glad to be against dry land again.

They had to input all the 1500 times manually as they decided to do a little reconfiguring at the last moment with the heats to combine them from 3 heats into 2. It was a good idea to save another 30 minutes for all of us, but no computerized splits on Meet Manager. I'll have to check the computer tape backup...
    About the backup...(I'm sorry T.G.) I left the meet getting the meet manager backup file on my flash drive, but left the hard copies sitting on the desk in the office of the pool. I called the meet director on the way home and let her know that so she can save them for me. SOOOOOOO, both our 800 free split request times are still unknown, but they are in Coeur d'Alene.
  10. Fri, March 8, 2013 5:30-7:05pm "taper"

by , March 9th, 2013 at 12:27 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Warmup:

600 (25 Free/25 V-Sit scull)
    (600/600)

16 x 25 Sprint Swim w/ fins (short ones) @ 1:00
    I hate swimming with fins, so I just cruised them.
    (400/1000)

12 x 50 SDK w/ short fins
    • 1 @ :50
    • 1 @ :45
    • 1 @ :40
    • 1 @ :35
    • Repeat x 2

I made them all today
    (600/1600)

5 x Broken 100s @ 3:30 w/ :10 between 25s
    I did minimal effort and just cruised them. Probably about 1:00 for my add up times

200 EZ
    (700/2300)

3 x 400 Free Pull @ 5:30

• #1 @ 25+ HR (for 10 sec.) went 4:15
    • #2 @ 27+ HR went 4:08
    • #3 @ 29+ HR went 4:07

These were by far my fastest and best ever times in distance like this in practice. I've done 300s pull coming in at 3:11 before, but never done 400s, and to kill the old pace was great. I wasn't winded at all either, and Jared was having trouble keeping up with me.

200 EZ
    (1400/3700)

3 x 300 Free @ 4:30 - same HR goals as above
    I did the first one as a cool down, since I wanted to rest a little bit the night before my meet in CDA, Idaho. I did want to challenge myself with the set, but knew better, since I do have a distance date with That Guy tomorrow.

------------------------------
    4000 Yards

Speaking of That Guy...
    Here is a quote from him in part of his interview posted in the latest PNA Newsletter:

I’m active on the USMS forums, keeping up with the sport and chatting with friends from all over. And making fun of fellow swimmers on the Internet is its own reward…
    Hmmmm...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Thurs, Mar. 7, 2013 5:30-7:00pm

by , March 8th, 2013 at 12:20 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Warmup:

600 (25 Free/25 V-Sit Scull)
    (600/600)

Kicking...UGH, my legs are so dead from work...
    16 x 25 SDK w/ short fins underwaters @ 1:00
    All w/ short fins:
    3 x 50 SDK @ :45 made them
    3 x 50 SDK @ :40 made them
    3 x 50 SDK @ :35 missed them. First one about :38, after that I just kicked.
    Short fins help you, but they're not like long fins. With long fins I can kick too easy, but I like the feel of the short ones.
    (850/1450)

3 x 100 Free Pull @ 1:45 went 1:05/1:06
    3 x 100 Free Pull @ 1:35 went 1:03s
    3 x 100 Free Pull @ 1:25 went 1:02/1:03
    (900/2350)

28 x 25 @ 1:00 - 7 of each stroke in IM Order
    EZ / Fast / EZ / Fast / EZ / Fast / Fast
    (700/3050)

200 EZ

------------------------------
    3250 Yards

Workout got done early so they could do the awards presentations for the kids Champs meet last weekend. I stuck around to support them and listen to how they did. The team was 3rd place overall, the 10 & Unders won the "high point" for the meet (they made a special classification for a team high point for the 10 & unders since they were timed finals only). We had one 12 year old girl get a high point award as well. Lots of times drops, lots of sectional qualifying times.

For other masters news: This weekend I will be heading to another meet in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. Short course meters in a fairly new facility. It's a wall-to-wall 25 meter pool, so if anyone can get Jim Thornton to get registered, he has a few hours left online.
    I'm swimming the 1st 2 events - 200 IM, and 400 Free...then skipping literally a couple events till the 200 Free. After that I wait around for the last 2 events of the meet: 400 IM, then finish with the 1500 Free. Luckily there are 15 people so far entered in the 1500, so that means at least 3 heats. I'll have about an hour of rest after the 400 IM, so all good. My only concern will be my lack of rest this whole week with my work schedule. I'm sure when the horn goes off, I'll be ready.
  12. Wed, Mar 6, 2013 7:00-8:01pm :)

by , March 7th, 2013 at 01:13 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Best thing about Wednesdays is PAYDAY!! At least I got a decent check for the hours I'm putting in, and they will only get bigger as the weeks go on too! Yup, I got word today that the 10+ hour days will be continuing for a while now...not sure why, but we're doing it, so I'll be going from 4:00am - 2:30(or later)pm, plus doing some Saturday maintinence projects as well I assume. Paycheck good, rest and life bad. Swimming - make it happen.

Warmup:

300 Free
    300 Kick w/ board
    300 Free Pull
    (900/900)

10 x 100 SDK w/ short fins @ 1:25 Max Rest
    I did Odds 100s, Evens 50s. Made the intervals on the odds, and just relaxed on the evens. My legs are just beat from all the work...standing, climbing, moving, lifting, kneeling, crawling, etc.
    (750/1650)

5 x 200 Free Pull @ 3:30
    Odds FAST - went 2:08/2:06/2:03
    Evens EZ - went 2:15/2:15 - not exactly EZ, but controlled
    (1000/2650)

6 x Broken 100s Choice @ 3:00, w/ :10 rest @ 25s
    I did 3 of these, Freestyle, went :54/:54/:55
    (300/2950)

--------------------------------

2950 Yards

I got out at this point so I can relax a bit and try to get to bed for the early morning that is coming soon.
  13. Tues, Mar. 5, 2013 5:30-7:30pm

by , March 6th, 2013 at 12:19 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    I like this new scheduling. It's kind of "random" in a way on our day to day schedule, but at least it's posted on our calendar that gets email to us, and any changes, the coach re-emails a new copy with changes. At least with the early nights, I can get to bed at a decent time, hopefully, for work in the morning.

Still, somewhat in team taper mode for their age group sectional meet coming up in a couple weeks. More of a quick re-build, then taper again. I'm just managing what I can with my work schedule. Legs hurt the most with all my walking and standing all day long.

Warmup:

1000 Free
    (1000/1000)

10 x 100 SDK @ 1:30 (odds - make 'em, evens - MAX Rest)
    (I did 1:20-1:25 on all of them...I chose to make them all "odd"
    (1000/2000)

20 x 50 Free @ 1:00
    Broken into 2 sets of 10 with 2 minutes rest between the sets.
    Goal was to hit your 500 pace and hold them there.
    • 1st 10 - went :31/:32s, came down to a :30 at the end...still sluggish
    • 2nd 10 - went :30/:31s for the first 6, then started hitting :29s for #7-9, :28 for the final one

100 EZ
    (1100/3100)

5 x Broken 200s @ 5:30 w/ :15 rest between each.
    These should be at or faster than best times
    IM or Strokes, No Free (unless doing Fly, then alt. 1 Fly/1 Free)

• Did 4 of them IM (my recent best time - 2:11)
    • went 2:13/2:11/2:09/2:08
    • Did the final one Free - played my "masters card" and broke the rules.
    • went 1:55, which equaled my recent best time

200 Swim EZ
    200 Kick EZ
    (1400/4500)

16 x 25 Choice @ 1:00 (Odds EZ, Evens Sprint)
    (400/4900)

100 EZ

----------------------------
    5000 Yards

Felt good tonight...going to hit the bed now, and hopefully get some good rest for work in the morning.
  14. Monday, Mar. 4, 2013 7:00-8:30pm

by , March 5th, 2013 at 01:17 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    I took off the last 3 day weekend worth of swimming, and I really felt it in my swim tonight! My club team was at its Champs meet over the weekend where they ended up placing 3rd in the LSC. Very very nice improvement in the past year.

Between work, stuff, and getting my mother-in-law to Seattle for her flight out to El Salvador, and the return hell-trip over Snoqualmie Pass late Saturday night, including a motel stay an hour away from home...I was a busy and tired guy. Late late night driving and heavy snow in the mountain passes and a van full of family with no snow tires on didn't make the trip fun. It was a surprise snow storm, otherwise I would've put on my studded tires for the trip. Oh well, I live to write this blog...

Most of my group was gone tonight. I'm sure John told them to take the day off after the Champs meet.

Warmup:

600 (25 Free, 25 V-Sit Scull)
    200 Free - I did a little extra while the others were finishing
    (800/800)

12 x 100 SDK w/ short fins @ 1:25 (1:18-1:20s)
    (1200/2000)

10 x 100 Free Pull @ 1:30 - started at 1:11s, then 1:10s thru #7. Last 3 1:08, 1:06, 1:04
    (1000/3000)

Mostly just aerobic...
    3 Rounds of:
    • 300 Free @ 5:00 (went ~3:35s)
    • 200 Free @ 3:00 (went ~2:20s)
    • 100 Free @ 1:15 (went ~1:05s)
    • 50 Free @ 1:00

200 EZ

5150 Yards

At this point I got out. I'm dead tired...not from the swim, but from my work schedule. I'm on 10 hour shifts this week, but on Monday's the 2 mechanics (me and another) come in extra early to do the weekly calibrations on the sizer equipment and stuff...in addition to dealing with the "Monday issues". Because both of us are there early, they make it "fair", and both of us stay to the end as well, so rather than a 10 hour day, it was actually a 12 hour workday, starting at 3:30am, till 4:00pm when I left.
    At least the rest of the week I'm only doing 10s, from 4:00am, till 2:30pm.

Off to bed I go...if my body will fall asleep now after the swimming...