View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

My USMS Times

YouTube Videos of my swims

1. Saturday, June 1, 2013 Apple Capital Day 2 Results

by , June 2nd, 2013 at 01:32 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    After yesterday's rough time with life in general, I managed to wake up this morning feeling great, in fact better than I've been all week long, so I headed in to work like always at 5:00am to get a little more $$$$ in the pocket. Got 8 hours done, and still had about 3 hours at home to take the kids to the school to play, and just relax for a while.

Headed to the pool about 4:00ish to grab a cheeseburger with grilled onions from the concession stand. They're 100% worth it, and don't sit in your stomach, or at least not mine. They had a 30 minute-ish warmup period at the mid-point of the afternoon session (you know how USA-S has to do the "4 hour rule"). I got in about 800 of easy free, some fly drill, and a little speedy stuff, but not much more than 25 up tempo stuff. I already knew I'd be better at this point than Friday's 400 IM. My body was 100% different feeling.

~6:00pm
    200 Fly - 2:30.25 (same as last season)
    31.9 / 36.1
    39.7 / 42.0
    Yeah the back half hurt a little bit, and I was really feeling stiff around the 150 or a little before. As I pushed off the final wall I could feel that twinge just prior to getting a cramp coming on in my calves. Uh oh. I just slugged through the final 50, trying not to use too much effort on the legs, or risk rescue by the lifeguards. Made it home right about the same time I had last season, so that's a plus.

~7:00pmish
    200 Breast - 3:02.92 (about the same as last season)
    42.3 / 47.8
    47.5 / 45.4
    I told John that I was going to take it out easy, and build the effort and turnover on each 50. I did start easy for sure, and stayed neck and neck with a girl next to me (they swam all the 15 and over events co-ed mixed), until the final 50 when I really went for it with my turnover and lunging forward. My legs just played along, but I powered home well. This is a pretty decent time for me.

~9:30pm
    The sun was well down at this point, and it had been cooling for the past couple hours, plus the wind was picking up a bit like it always does around here at night. Basically pretty cold no matter who you are. I stayed in my clothes up till about 15 seconds before the whistle to get up on the blocks.
    400 Free - 4:48.40 (3 seconds slower than last season)
    1:08.xx / 1:14.mid / 1:14.mid / 1:11.low
    I was sandwiched between a college girl and another boy in the final heat, and they both got out about a bodylength or more ahead of me within the first 100. I was just eating their wakes for the middle 200, and began to pull up on them both from about the 250 point to the 350 mark. I gave it my all to catch them, but to no avail. Kids...

-------------------------------------

Tomorrow morning I'll be timing the meet for about 3 hours in the morning with my daughter, and then will get back later in the afternoon again for 4 more races. These ones should be better...at least I'm waiting for the 100 Fly in which I'm seeded 3rd in. I need some hardware!!!