Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    That was me dude!
    Well, it was nice to meet your good side then!
    Why do seniors not realize they need new suits?! I see suits halfway down, suits deteriorating, suits that are see through, etc. How can they be so oblivious?
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1 View Post
    Swam alongside the "old peoples" water aerobics class. Worst part was the guy nearby my lane with his shorts halfway down in backside.
    That was me dude!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    Seems you weren't the only one that benefited from all that swimming. A great example for the kids - they can see through adults and you must have left a very positive impression - paying it forward. Good luck at the alumni meet and hope the snow holds off - yikes its only mid Oct.
    If I could do it, I would still be swimming with the team. I loved almost everything about it. I still keep up with what the kids are doing with the local team, their high school teams, etc. Facebook is great for a lot of that too.
    As for the college kids at the Alumni Meet...I'm bringing the pain. Hope they're ready for it.
    As I go in, I say "Hey all you kids, keep it down in here!" (jokingly of course). THey all respond with "JAMES!!!" "Are you coming back to swim with Velocity??" from a few of them. I replied with no, unfortunately. It's good to know I was well liked and missed by them though.
    Seems you weren't the only one that benefited from all that swimming. A great example for the kids - they can see through adults and you must have left a very positive impression - paying it forward. Good luck at the alumni meet and hope the snow holds off - yikes its only mid Oct.
    Quote Originally Posted by pmccoy
    Glad you liked it! We used to have 64 workouts we cycled through. Dave retyped them and discovered 24 of Roger's "lost workouts". Many (if not all) of these were meant for the older high school swimmers that did doubles with the masters on mornings. These typically have a "masters option" on them that we may or may not ignore. This particular set was supposed to be repeats of 100 @ 1:10 followed by 50 @ :50. I was going to go for it but was glad after a couple that my teammates had talked me out of it.
    Yeah, on the 50s @ :50, that would've been difficult. I was coming in around :40 on those 50s, and I used all of the :30 rest I was getting to be able to make another 100 under 1:10.
    Glad you liked it! We used to have 64 workouts we cycled through. Dave retyped them and discovered 24 of Roger's "lost workouts". Many (if not all) of these were meant for the older high school swimmers that did doubles with the masters on mornings. These typically have a "masters option" on them that we may or may not ignore. This particular set was supposed to be repeats of 100 @ 1:10 followed by 50 @ :50. I was going to go for it but was glad after a couple that my teammates had talked me out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    That is a terrific set and one of my favorites. (I usually use the 1:15 interval though.) By the end, there sure doesn't seem to be much rest after the 50 does there?!
    It's one I just wouldn't have thought of on my own. I haven't ever done this set that I can recall in my whole lifetime! It was good.
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    Great workout! Yes, you are in better shape than you thought! There was never any doubt you can take on almost any demanding and challenging workout and give it your best shot.

I must tell you that I enjoyed reading your Tuesday workout post. Your commentary after certain sets was very entertaining... huffin' and puffin' here..., I was honestly surprised I made it!, dying... Everytime I think about them, I smile.
    Thanks! It's tough to think of things on my own all the time, so I try to get ideas from here on USMS every now and then.

We'll see how tomorrow's workout goes...maybe it'll have a lot of "ouchy" and "oh crap" in it.
    10 Rounds of:

• 100 Free @ 1:10
    • 50 Free relaxed @ 1:10
    That is a terrific set and one of my favorites. (I usually use the 1:15 interval though.) By the end, there sure doesn't seem to be much rest after the 50 does there?!
    Great workout! Yes, you are in better shape than you thought! There was never any doubt you can take on almost any demanding and challenging workout and give it your best shot.

I must tell you that I enjoyed reading your Tuesday workout post. Your commentary after certain sets was very entertaining... huffin' and puffin' here..., I was honestly surprised I made it!, dying... Everytime I think about them, I smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    That's a tough set. I imagine it's even harder doing it on your own. Nice workout.
    Yeah, swimming on your own is tough. In fact I find it harder to complete an hour/3000 yards of solo swimming than last year's age group practices (6-7000 yards). At least there I was in a group, with a coach giving direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by pmccoy
    "100 Fly @ 2:00 (went 1:10)"
    I think I see the problem! I'd never make it either if I'd started with 1:10s on my fly.
    hehe!! For me, that is cruising (plus I'd like my stroke to resemble butterfly...if I go too slow I sink). It honestly was the 300/400/300 that wiped me out in this case! I haven't been able to really get too much under 1:15/100 pace lately in workouts, and that's why the 400 surprised me a bit.

I'll have to revisit this workout in the future, hopefully after a night I don't have to be too physically involved at work.
    That's a tough set. I imagine it's even harder doing it on your own. Nice workout.
    "100 Fly @ 2:00 (went 1:10)"
    I think I see the problem! I'd never make it either if I'd started with 1:10s on my fly.
    I don't get it either. I understand that we're all there for the same reason, exercise of some sort. I just wish people could coordinate it a little better at times. If I get stuck circling with 3 or more in the lane, and there is a definite speed difference among us, I'll usually just grab a kickboard and do some kick sets until it opens up more. Even then, I'm sometimes passing people.
    I have that problem at my y as well. People don't seem to get the idea that lap lanes are for sharing with other people that want to swim. Granted, it can get frustrating having to circle with slower swimmers but I remind myself that 1) they are there for a similar reason that I am. 2) They have just as much right to use the lane as I do 3) Hopefully they will come to enjoy swimming as much as I do.

When I know someone is wanting to lap swim, like you, I will move over to one side. If there are 2 of them, then we circle. I don't get why some people think they are entitled to their own lane.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Your kicking and my pulling and we would make a hell of a swimmer
    Quite possibly. It's nice to be able to have a "go-to" kick when needed near the end of a race.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Yeah, WTF, James? Only sprinters kick that much.

Nice workout.
    I guess that I've still got a little bit of the age grouper blood leftover. I'll try not to let it happen again!
    Your kicking and my pulling and we would make a hell of a swimmer