Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Enjoy your temporary GTD age group lead!
    I just noticed it!!

Men 35-39
    Name Age Club Miles
    James A Adams 35 HMS 7.10
    Andrew B McLaughlin 39 CLOV 7.01
    Charles E Lorenz 37 WMAC 6.82
    Eduard Tiozzo 39 FLAQ 6.82
    Thomas J Patterson 35 1776 6.45
    Doug Jelen 39 PNA 6.19
    Who knows why I selected the top 6? I'm going to have to bookmark this so I can return to it again and again...it'll probably be one of the only times I see my name on top of anything in the 35-39 age group!
    Enjoy your temporary GTD age group lead!
    I'm going to try to incorporate a few of your distance workouts along with a few sprint sets from That Sprint Gal
    Same here.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Nice way to kick off the year. Check the GTD totals tomorrow as you might be in #1! Last year, when I did 9100 LCM on Jan 1st, I held down the #1 spot for a day or two.
    Thanks...It was sure tough though after 3 days out of the water. I think 2-3 days feels almost like 2-3 weeks sometimes.
    Maybe I'll be on top...but I'm not going to bet on it. There are people out there that swim Sundays too, plus a lot of 10,000 yard/meter people out there as well.
    I'm going to try to incorporate a few of your distance workouts along with a few sprint sets from That Sprint Gal (no relation to That Guy)
    Nice way to kick off the year. Check the GTD totals tomorrow as you might be in #1! Last year, when I did 9100 LCM on Jan 1st, I held down the #1 spot for a day or two.
    Until I actually compete in a meter meet, I'm still 34. But yes, I'm excited for the new competition, and a new series of local records to go after!

I'll make a special note in my calendar of this day...the day I was ahead of Tom in GTD!!
    I think that you have more miles than me after today! Gosh, it feels weird to be in a new age group.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Uh-oh...here we go again, one of those "time zone" gridges...who's gonna beat who. Don't worry...we'll both be feeling the burn equally!!

I'm honestly just going to try to complete the set. We're actually doing 108 x 100s, the extra 8 are for the 8th year the coach has been with the team. He and the asst. coach will split time on deck, and each do 54 of the 100s with the team as well.

Maybe 10,800 yards is close to 10,000 meters? I'm not going to look it up, but I'm sure someone will get it for me.
    Lol, yea I'll (hopefully) have about 30 on you before you even start
    I think it is about a 10% difference. According to Google, a meter is 1.0936 yards. So you'd need to do about 10,900 to be even
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    1:30 is the best way to go on a 100 x 100. I did 1:25 interval one year in SCM but I wasn't leading the lane and I wasn't keeping track(coach on deck was).
    I'm going to see what intervals the coach sets up for the boys, and just plant myself in the faster lane. I may not be the fastest sprinter in the group, but I can hold them off for a long distance set like this, provided I go out at and easy pace. I'm sure I'll be the draft engine, pulling a train of 3 or 4 cars behind me.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Cool, you'll be doing the 100 x 100s about the same time as me, it starts at 8 AZ time tomorrow. Except ours is LCM

I'm thinking 1:45ish is a good pace to hold. We'll see who shows up and if Paul has any input.
    Uh-oh...here we go again, one of those "time zone" gridges...who's gonna beat who. Don't worry...we'll both be feeling the burn equally!!

I'm honestly just going to try to complete the set. We're actually doing 108 x 100s, the extra 8 are for the 8th year the coach has been with the team. He and the asst. coach will split time on deck, and each do 54 of the 100s with the team as well.

Maybe 10,800 yards is close to 10,000 meters? I'm not going to look it up, but I'm sure someone will get it for me.
    Cool, you'll be doing the 100 x 100s about the same time as me, it starts at 8 AZ time tomorrow. Except ours is LCM

I'm thinking 1:45ish is a good pace to hold. We'll see who shows up and if Paul has any input.
    I'm just happy to be able to swim with a group. I'm planning on going 1:30s for my interval, but if the fast lane wants to up the anty a bit as we get going, I'm game for some fun. If not, I'll throw in a few fly ones here and there.
    1:30 is the best way to go on a 100 x 100. I did 1:25 interval one year in SCM but I wasn't leading the lane and I wasn't keeping track(coach on deck was).
    I'm just happy to be able to swim with a group. I'm planning on going 1:30s for my interval, but if the fast lane wants to up the anty a bit as we get going, I'm game for some fun. If not, I'll throw in a few fly ones here and there.
    Dude, just man up! Good, you will have people to train with.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnair
    If I had done almost 7000 yards yesterday my shoulder would be falling apart!
    true. I've had a little something in there for a while that I've just been living with. It just flared up more than normal last night. Probably some of the at home P90X stuff I was doing.
    Shoulder is a little sore, and I'm not sure why
    If I had done almost 7000 yards yesterday my shoulder would be falling apart!
    IMO, I think this is harder to do than the 30 x 100s @ 1:10 type of set.
    IMO you should complete 30x100 on 1:10 before making that call
    A couple of months ago, I did 20 x 100 leaving every 2 minutes; but I only get about :30 rest (100s around 1:30). Just the other day I was thinking about 60 x 50 @ 1:00 to balance speed and endurance... but maybe I'll give the 30 x 100 a try first; nice even 60-minute workouts!
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Yeah, that's tough. I'm sure that 2:01 interval seemed like lots of rest at first, but by the end you were thinking "is it really time to go again already?"
    Exactly. I've done tough stuff like this before, but it was either in age group or college swimming, never in masters...and that makes it even tougher!!
    My body is more in tune with repeating on short rest than it is going AFAP with a moderately long rest period (though not truly enough to go all out).
    Yeah, that's tough. I'm sure that 2:01 interval seemed like lots of rest at first, but by the end you were thinking "is it really time to go again already?"