Blog Comments

42.5% of the workout kicking = ??????
    Yeah, WTF, James? Only sprinters kick that much.

Nice workout.
    Quote Originally Posted by slknight
    Isn't that a great set? Unless Fortress did it too, I think I was the one who stole it and blogged it SCY. Interesting twist doing the "easy" ones stroke. So you didn't ascend the intervals on those?
    OK, you can take credit for the SCY blog as well. I just didn't see it.

It really wasn't that bad keeping the interval at 2:30 on those "EZ ones". That helps with the distance endurance I guess. But I was pretty fatigued by the end of it.
    Isn't that a great set? Unless Fortress did it too, I think I was the one who stole it and blogged it SCY. Interesting twist doing the "easy" ones stroke. So you didn't ascend the intervals on those?
    Swimming is a good stress reliever, that is for sure. I will really have to see if meets fall into play for me this year at all. Just 'cause it's Saturday or Sunday doesn't mean anything at my job. If production is needed, they run. 3 shifts, round the clock, 7 days a week if needed. On our 7 day scheduling, I currently have Wed. and Thurs. off for my rest days, but that's only when we're running 7 days a week. It's a union run operation, and I'm at the bottom of the list. As for the physical part...that is a day by day type of thing. Tonight was a bit tough, but not bad. At least I wasn't up on my feet the whole time. I was down below one of the fruit dryers beating and banging the bearings off the drive shaft for one of the circulation fans!! Happy Happy Joy Joy!! Dryland training at it's best right there! At least I get to see my kids play soccer tomorrow morning (or this morning really). Off to bed now!
    I sincerely empathize with you, being tired and aching from hard physical work at your job. I truly hope that you will adapt as able and/or that it is not always so demanding. I agree with Stewart, the swimming is so important for you now as stress reliever and recovery, so just keep at as best possible. Perhaps if there is a masters meet you find possible to attend, maybe you could just swim the Sunday events, so Saturday can be one of rest and family, etc.
    Sorry to hear that the new job is so much more physical than the last. It sounds like you are doing great just maintaining your swimming. I have done a fair number of solo swims and that alone is tough, without being tired before you get in the pool. Knowing you though, know doubt you are staying positive and still having fun which at the end of the day is what swimming should be. Use it as a stress reliever or even a recovery, just keep doing it.
    Fly is just a tricky stroke for splitting lanes, even if you're a good swimmer.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Sometimes, I will start doing butterfly when I see that someone might get in my lane.
    That works too.
    Sometimes, I will start doing butterfly when I see that someone might get in my lane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    i always take it as a quiet personal victory, when lap swimmers go out of their way to avoid my lane.
    I tend to swim on one side of the lane, kind of the "YMCA rule" for lap swimming at our place...moreso to invite a person to split the lane with me. Occasionally I've had people try to stop me in the middle of a flip turn to ask if they can swim with me. That part is so annoying.

I even saw one time that a lane tried swimming with 3 people in it, just so that they could avoid my lane.
    i always take it as a quiet personal victory, when lap swimmers go out of their way to avoid my lane.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I like it how you've 'scaled back' and you're still kicking my GTD butt each day. Nice workout.
    Thanks Patrick. It feels so good to get in the pool, moreso to relax my muscles after the prior nights work. But after I get warmed up and a little looser, I still have that drive to crank away! You've got your 400 IM, I've got my 200 Fly as my "go to event". I just have to keep in shape should the chance arise for me to actually make it to a meet. I'm really hoping for a chance to get down to my college for the Alumni Meet, but I don't think my work will give me the chance.
    I like it how you've 'scaled back' and you're still kicking my GTD butt each day. Nice workout.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    That is some heavy interval math! but i like the variety
    It's honestly not that bad. You just have to remember the next IM interval since you're always leaving on the top (:60) Each one is just :05 later around the clock. Just finish the freestyle before the :60 and you're good to go.

I suppose these types of intervals are easier on an old school pace clock though. I've never trained with a digital one before.
    That is some heavy interval math! but i like the variety
    you beat me again, Gosh dag it!
    My swim wasn't exactly a training swim today, more of a relaxation swim to stretch out my muscles after working till after 1:00am, and 2:00am the night before that! I took off at my normal time tonight (11:00pm), and now I can't fall asleep!! Hopefully I'll be able to get over the 3,000 yard barrier tomorrow, but it's tough to do mentally on my own.
    All three of you beat me today. I did this this morning and this this evening.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    You can still go back and do a double

I guess I beat you both with my 3900
    Unfortunately, I am working late tonight and pools close at 10PM around these parts. Jacksonville doesn't seem like a great training town. Tomorrow might be a wash too. Well, I have to Friday to Sunday to get back on track.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Darn, you beat me today. I only did 2300 yards.
    You can still go back and do a double

I guess I beat you both with my 3900