View RSS Feed

Meets

1. Saturday, Oct. 15, 2011 Linfield College Alumni Meet

by , October 15th, 2011 at 08:51 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    This was just pure fun today. Lots of fast racing. I swam just about every event offered, and did pretty well all around.
    Lots of lactate buildup, just toughed through it.

200 Medley Relay, Fly leg

100 IM - 59.22 Got touched out by 0.06 seconds, but considering I was behind by a bodylength after the breaststroke this is pretty good. Also a masters best time.

200 Free - 1:58 something. Did this one somewhat EZ. Took it out moderate till the 100 and the college kids left be there. THey were only a few seconds ahead of me at the finish (1:53 & 1:56)

50 Free - sat out and watched this one. 50 Free sucks!

200 IM - 2:10.04 I won this one! Yippie! The kid that touched me out in the 100 IM had no chance against me in the longer race. This was also just over a second off my best masters time (2:08.8)

50 Breast - split this as a 2 x 25 relay with another Alum. I did the 2nd leg with a super running dive. Pure fun!

Intermission - threw on my full leg suit for fun. I didn't care at this point. I already proved that I can still swim fast.

50 Back - slipped on the start! $#!+

100 Breast - did a triple pullout, followed by a double pullout, followed be a single pullout, turnaround in the middle and race home! Finished in :59.7!! Broke a minute...with a technicality of course, but still...

100 Fly - did a 58.5. Tired, but decent.

100 Back - did this with full length fins on. SDK is the key! Underwater 1st length and 2nd lengths. 3rd was about 1/2way underwater, and the 4th was a pushoff and then swim for home. Did a :54.1. Nice to swim fast in backstroke for a change!

100 Free - 52.5 This was a race with another Alum from the class of 2010...just a kid. He beat be with a 52.2. He's also 13 years younger and didn't swim anywhere near as many events as me today.

50 Fly - 26.7 Ouch. Plain tired by this point.

200 Free Relay - This was a showdown between the Alumni and the current guys. We ended up losing by 0.3 seconds, but it was fun!

Tomorrow is the real racing at the:
    SCM Meet at the Multnomah Athletic Club in Portland.
    200 Free, 200 IM, 200 Breast, 100 Fly, 100 IM.

Should be fun...competition will be fierce, which I like!
  2. Friday, Oct. 14, 2011 5:00am

by , October 14th, 2011 at 12:50 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Got in for a little splash around time this morning, but didn't do anything intense.

Did about 400 Yards of swimming, then did drills in 25s and 50s with the group of various fly and breaststroke work. Then just had fun for the remainder.

Finished with a challenging 100 Free at the end:
    There is a girl who was getting ready for the X-Terra mountain bike triathalon Worlds Champs in Maui in another week or so...(poor her, what a bad place for a race)
    She isn't motivated to try to swim fast ever in a practice, just a nice consistent pace. She's young, about 24 years old...so I challenged her to a race. I said...1 x 100 Free, you go first, when you get to the 25 point, then I will go, and try to chase you down. Try to finish the 100 before I get to you. She went for it, and it worked! She actually swam fast! I had to bust my butt to catch up, and was able to touch her feet just as she finished the 100, but I had to move fast to do it. It was fun.

--------------------
    1500 Yards for today

I got an email from the meet director for the meet on Sunday in Portland, and got an early copy of the heat sheet. Always nice. There's going to be some fast racing going on. Take a look, I've attached it.

I'm in:
    200 Free, 200 IM, 200 Breast, 100 Fly, 100 IM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Files
  3. Sunday, Oct. 9, 2011 Ellensburg (USAS) Meet Results

by , October 9th, 2011 at 09:02 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    This was a nice meet to get to...only an hour and 20 minutes or so of a drive. Very short compared to what I'm used to. Got in my usual McDonald's breakfast as I left Wenatchee, using my Monopoly winning tickets to get free food for breakfast.

8:30am warmup, 9:30am meet start
    Got in for warmup with the Wenatchee club team, I'll probably end up joining up with them on a modified workout plan ("2 a week") that they have setup one of these days. The coach said I could go Tues, Thurs, and sneak in a Saturday as well.

Warmup:
    500 Free
    8 x 50 "Easy Speed 50s" @ 1:10 (we had probably 15 or so in the lane)
    2 Dive 25s (1 Fly, 1 Back)

In between each of my events I was able to get between 3-400 of cooldown, which helped a lot. The pool is a 10 lane pool, but they were only using 6 of the lanes, leaving 2 open on the far side of the pool for basically "public swim". The amount of little kids in there doing random swimming, underwater flips, bubble rings from the deep end, sharks and minnows, etc. made it interesting.

All of my events were swum in the 13 & Over classification, but I was scored/placed 15 & Over.

400 IM - 4:39.49 3rd place (1st and 2nd were 4:32s)
    4 seconds slower than Masters best when I was tapered last April at PNA Champs. 2nd fastest time as a Master.
    Fly (59.3) Easy speed, bad turns
    Back (1:17.5) Blah
    Breast (1:20.1) No stretching out, hips low, no kick
    Free (1:02.5) (32.4/30.1) This last 100 shows that my freestyle training is there, and I should be great in my freestyle events to come at future meets. I was catching the leaders on the final 50 as well.

200 Back - 2:15.90 4th Place - Masters best time by (0.04 seconds) It still counts!
    I just remember trying to kick like mad and spin my arms on the last 100. I still hate backstroke, but need to work on it for my IMs.

100 Free leadoff split on 400 Free Relay - 52.05 - Master's best time by 0.04 seconds! (24.7/27.3)
    Who says a middle D guy can't sprint! I was thrilled by this! I haven't been below a 53.4 for a year and a half.
    Relay??? - you all are asking. Well, the Wenatchee club team had the relay signed up but 2 of the older boys didn't show up. The relay was set up as 11&Over, so the coach had a 17, 13, and 11 year old boys, and added me to the relay as the 4th member. I'm not registered with their club so it was an exhibition relay, done just so the other kids could still swim a relay.
    The cool thing was that the 11 year old was so thrilled to swim with fast "big guys" that he dropped 7 seconds on his 100 Free. Nice.

100 Fly - 57.57 3rd Place (1st thru 3rd were basically a tie, I just missed out)
    This was a great time for me, basically tying my best non shaved and tapered time.
    11.7 / 14.9 / 15.6 / 15.5
    I remember on the last length putting my head down rather than breathing 2 up 1 down, and I think had 3 total breaths on the final length with my last 3 to the wall head down sprinting. My turns sucked though, I didn't "hit" the wall great on my stroke, had to kick in to most of the walls.

200 Breast - 2:32.20 1st Place (no fast 15 & Overs were in the race, just one 13 year old that schooled me)
    32.6 / 39.9 / 41.2 / 38.5
    My pullouts (mainly the pulldown) were the savior of my race. My knee is sore enough that I can't put enough emphasis into my kick like I used to, so I have to rely on my upper body to do the work.
    (Note to KNelson: add up the first two splits of this race)

100 Free - 52.42 2nd Place
    11.6 / 13.3 / 13.7 / 13.7
    Just a little slower all around compared to my relay lead off split a few hours earlier. I was out feeling great and had the lead by a shoulder at the 50, the kid pulled even at the 75, and passed me on the road home. I really wanted to catch him but was hurting bad. He went a 52.0 so I wasn't too far behind.

Very good meet overall, left me feeling all warm and fuzzy all over...or maybe that's the lactice acid buildup from the lack of cool down after the final race***. I had about 4000 yards of swimming today counting all the races, warmups, cool downs. Got some nifty awards too! See the picture attached.

*** After the last event of a meet, the cool down is moved to the Monday morning workout, and called "warmup".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Awards from Octoberfest USAS Meet 10-09-11.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	6763  
  4. Sunday, Sept. 25, 2011 Mesa Meet Results

by , September 25th, 2011 at 06:42 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Wow...this was a quick one! I didn't have any idea the meet would get done as quick as it did. Apparently they only had just under 70 people in the meet, and from the looks of it, a lot were MIA on Day 2. Oh well, that just left more room for me to swim fast, or at least attempt to!

800 Free - 9:26.85 (masters best by 28 seconds, also LMSC age group record) - this is one record I didn't already have, so I was happy with this.
    I felt really good going out in the race, and was feeling strong through the 400-500 point. I don't know my splits yet, but I'm guessing my 400 was around 4:38 or so. This was a nice swim overall. Helps that it was 1st race of the day.

Had a 2nd warmup period here, that was roughly 20-25 minutes or so, and this was my only resting period for the remainder of the meet. Fort would have not been happy at this meet!

200 Free: 2:08.55 (0.24 seconds slower that my best). Felt strong, missed a couple of turns by getting to close and "jamming" on the wall. I have this one videod for YouTube, and will get it on sometime Monday.
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csynf1_hKgg"]9-25-11 Mesa, Arizona 200 SCM Free - YouTube[/nomedia]

400 IM: 5:22ish Ugh!!! 14 seconds slower than my best, but it had 2 heats of 100 Flys between my 200 Free and this one. Lucky for PWB...he didn't swim the 200 Free like I did!
    I was planning to challenge Patrick on the fly portion of the race, and was with him to the 75...after that I let him have it, and did a 100 Back cooldown during the race. Not wanting to get "chicked", I had to semi-push the breaststroke to catch her, and then had to work the freestyle to stay ahead of her.

50 Fly - 29.50 This was just a go for it race. I put everything I could into it, and was about 0.7 seconds slower than my best. The turn was bad because it was hard to judge the turn on the low bulkhead.

400 Free - 4:36.9 (4 seconds off my best time, but 3 seconds faster than last March).
    I felt pretty good overall, considering what all I had gone through in the past hour and a half. Probably could've pushed it a little more, but that's in the past now.

I had a successful meet, got to meet up with PWB, Debaru, Chowmi, Paul Smith, and I'm sure a handful of others. Got my butt kicked hardcore in most of my events, mostly by Sean Justice, and the guy they call "Starbucks". He only lapped my once in the 800, and zero times in the 400 Free (though it was close). Lots of fast swimmers in the meet. It was very humbling to not be at the top of the rankings. I had a lot of fun, and look forward to my next adventure outside the Northwest in the future. Where will I go, I don't know yet. Any offers for hosting?

Updated September 26th, 2011 at 03:25 AM by jaadams1 (added video link 200 Free)

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Daily Practices , Meets
  5. 8/27/11 CAST Classic OW Swim - DNF

by , August 27th, 2011 at 07:19 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Today was the 5K OW swim in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho. It was a beautiful day, getting up into the 90s in the afternoon, with the water temperature 70-71 degrees. I was all ramped up to compete in my very first ever OW event.

WOW! This was a totally different monster for me. A HUGE difference from back and forth in a pool.

It started off as an in the water start, and I lined up next to the fastest USA swimmer in the group of 5K participants (they had the Masters separated from the USA swimmers for scoring). He turned out to be a junior at Seattle University, and a fairly quick one too. The coaches on the side told me to try to hang with him, and I did.

The race started, and he and I, and another 15 yr. old (or so) girl were together. I was told after the race that the three of us were so far ahead at the first turn that nothing could stop us. Well, nothing sure got a hold of me later in the swim. I had no problem with the swimming portion of the race, but had a real pain in the a** with the sighting for buoys, goggles fogging, etc. Also getting my breathing under control in the cold water was very difficult for a while. I was almost in "panic mode" during the first part of the swim. After the first turn, I settled in right behind the other college swimmer and just let him do the sighting, and I played "follow the leader". I honestly didn't care where he took me, I was just going to stay right on his tail. Apparently the girl behind me had the same plan for trailing me, because once I stopped to clean my goggles, and she plowed right into me! We had lots of waves out on the outer part of the course from passing boats, and this made for difficult navigating. I was occasionally trying to sight for the buoys, but it was tough.

The final turn for "home" on the first lap was the worst part - directly back in towards the sun, and the buoy pattern was tricky the way they had it along the shoreline to pass near the feeding station (for 10K people), and to go around a point of the beach that stuck out. Worrying about trying to find the buoys so I didn't go on the wrong side of them and get DQ'd, while looking into the sun, eating waves, trying to follow the bubble trail of the college guy, passing the 10K participants (who started 5 minutes before us 5K participants). It just turned into a hellish swim for me at this point. Mind over matter wasn't going to work for me. I was done. I got back to the end of the first lap at 2.5K and climbed out of the water, ending my race with a DNF (since I was signed up for the 5K). Afterward, I was a little P.O'd at myself for not completing it, but that's the way it went! At least I made it safely back.

I didn't even check my time for one lap, but the guy I was hanging with ended with a 1:20 for his 5K time, so I'm sure I would've been right with him, or at least close by. I wasn't tired, my muscles didn't hurt, and I wasn't cold after my swim. It was just the mental aspect of the swim that I couldn't beat. It takes a very special swimmer to be able to race these OW swims, and I congratulate any and all that swim them. As for now, I'm going to stick with my pool swimming, and competitions. I'll make up the 2.5K that I missed out on today tomorrow at the water park when I go with my family.

I've attached a couple of pictures from the event, one showing the lake and the nice conditions for the swim prior to the race, and the second one is a group from our Masters teams here in eastern Washington and northern Idaho. (I'm the 3rd one from the right)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lake Coeur d 'Alene for CAST Classic.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	155.5 KB 
ID:	6751   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAST Classic Hydropower Masters Crew.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	6752  
  6. Monday, August 15, 2011 No Swim

by , August 15th, 2011 at 10:31 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Today was a day I have been stressing out for the past week or so. My son's soccer team practices started today. The reason I was stressing is that I'M THE COACH!

I've never coached soccer practices before which was a little nerve racking. I was an asst. swim coach in Oregon with a club team years ago working with the youngest/newest swimmers, so working with a group of 5 year old girls and boys wasn't too bad.

I have 6 on the team, and one was a no-show. 4 of them are 1st year players, and my son is the only 2nd year player in the group. So it was all starting with the basics...me included!!

The kids all had fun, the parents all told me I did a great job, and I was just relieved that it was over. I know I probably looked like a "fish out of water" on the field, but I'll get better as each practice goes.

-----------------------

Now, onto the water sports competitions:

**12 Days until my 5K OW swim in Lake Coeur d' Alene at the CAST Classic on August 27th. Early morning swim, I just hope the water is warm, they say an avg. temp of 70-71 for the time of year. I just hope the sun comes out to keep me "solar powered".

**I just received final confirmation that I'm entered into the SCM East Valley Invite at Kino in Mesa, AZ. PWB informally invited people in the forums for a "distance beatdown" on Sunday's events, and I took the bait!! We'll see what I'm in for.
    Anyone in the Phoenix area should enter this meet, I'm going to need all the extra rest I can get between events!!

800 Free (9:54)
    (break for addtnl warmup)
    200 Free (2:08)(or fly, depending how it looks/feels)
    400 IM (5:08)
    50 Fly (28.6)
    400 Free (4:32)

I'm entering the meet with all me best times in SCM so now it's time to get training with a little over 5 weeks or so till the meet. At least when the school year starts I can get back to my consistent morning swims with the Masters group.
    Categories
    Daily Practices , Meets
  7. My Fall/Early Winter Meet Schedule

by , August 7th, 2011 at 09:01 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    early/mid September: there is talk of have an outdoor SCY meet in the Tri Cities, WA, but who knows if this will even happen? Since I have soccer coaching responsibilities this fall for my son's team, I probably will have to skip it anyway.

Sunday, Oct. 16 - Portland, OR:
    Multnomah Athletic Club SCM Meet
    200 Free, 200 IM (break)
    200 Breast (break)
    100 Fly (break)
    100 IM
    This has an 8:00am warmup/9:00 meet start time. I'll just come down Saturday and spend the day with my grandparents and sister who live in the area.

Saturday, Oct. 22 - Spokane, WA: Spokane Waves Masters Meet
    I'll be swimming the 1650 Fly as a tribute to Peony at this meet. Good thing it's the first event of the meet. My other 4 events TBD later.

Saturday, Nov. 6 - Sandpoint, ID
    There is a SCM meet that should be held this weekend. It could also be on the next weekend which wouldn't work with my schedule. I'll have to play it by ear on this meet. The pool is not the greatest, and it's a 4+ hour drive, BUT, it is SCM.

Saturday, Nov. 13 - Oak Harbor, WA
    3rd Annual Whidbey Island SCM Meet
    1500 Free (break/warmup)
    200 IM (break)
    100 Fly, 400 IM (break)
    200 Fly
    I'm also using this meet as a double for this Brute Squad entry in November/December. Should be a fun set of events for me!

December - Colony Zones SCM
    I'm making some serious thought into heading back east this year for some great competition and fun. It all really depends on the location/timing, and of course $$$$$. My wife's already given me the okay to go.
    It'll be a shave/taper end of the 30-34 SCM rally! Only good thing is I'll get to move on to the 35-39ers for a whole new set of LMSC records to shoot down.

Edit: Another possibility if I can't make it to the East Coast, I could just head down to Bend, Oregon for a SCM Pentathalon Dec. 10th (tentative). Definitely cheaper than Colony Zones, but not the same competition.

Updated August 7th, 2011 at 10:45 PM by jaadams1

Categories
    Meets
  8. Sunday, Starlight Meet Results (USA-S) LCM

by , July 10th, 2011 at 09:10 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Well...I'm exhausted. This day was tough, even though I only had to work 4.5 hours beforehand.
    My legs are just shot. I have no cardio. I'm starting to sound like a sprinter... But I did suck it up and swim all my events...not the greatest, but I did swim them. I think I may have swum about 10-12 times since my last meet a month ago also...

200 Free - (2:15.47) 30/34/36/34 or so
    3 seconds slower than my meet 4 weeks ago in Corvallis, though it was good enough for a 10th place ribbon (and NO there weren't only 10 people in the event...) My legs hurt so bad on the 3rd length.

100 Back - (1:14.99) 36/38
    This was my first time in the 100 Back LCM as a master swimmer, so a best time! Yippie! I actually felt good, and the clouds came out just in time for the backstroke races!!

50 Free - (27.91) about a 1/2 second slow.
    I'm not a sprinter. At least I was first place among all athletes over 20 years of age.

200 Fly - (2:43.57) 34/40/43/46**
    **SPECIAL NOTE: I did stop at the 150 point and hang on the wall for 10 seconds to talk to the official about the weather...so my last 50 split was approx. a 36 or so. A much needed rest though. I knew I was going to do something like this ahead of time, just not sure when and how often or how much break time. But as long as you hang onto the wall, you can't be DQ'd.
    I'm actually surprised that I showed up at the blocks for the race. My "coach" wouldn't allow me to skip it, said I had to be a good role model for the age group kids on the local club team.
    It was also good enough for another 10th place ribbon (out of 13 athletes).
  9. Saturday, Starlight Meet Results (USA-S) LCM

by , July 9th, 2011 at 11:36 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Well...this was an interesting day for me.

Started off at 5:00am with work as usual...except today I got pulled away to do a semi-full rebuild of one of the machines for another department in another of our facilities. It was fun to say the least. I got done with this about 3:00pm.

My first event was starting about 5:30pm, and I had no warmup aside from a few lengths back and forth in the deep tank pool which I can cross in about 5-6 strokes.

400 Free 4:47.68 - best Masters time by 2 seconds. also a new LMSC record (previously mine)
    1:07.5/1:13.5/1:13.7/1:13.1
    Splits held very nice, though it hurt like hell from my (lack of) conditioning over the past month. I was surprised when I asked the timers my time, as I was painfully gasping for air/seeing stars/near blackout/etc.

I had a 1 hour window here between events, so I headed over to a "celebration of life" party for Peony Munger and her late husband. Peony is the woman featured on the USMS homepage who did the 1000 miles of butterfly. She was just diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, and the following day after the news, her husband passed away. This was too much for her to happen all at the same time. It was a very nice party, and almost everyone who has ever swam with our Masters group was there.

Made it back to the pool at 6:40pm with 2 heats to spare for my next event...my adrenaline was pumping as I came into the pool and heard heat 1 of my event on the blocks (I was in heat 3)

200 IM 2:33.12 - this was just 2 tenths of a second off my best.
    30.2/42/47.5/32.2
    My fly felt great, back was okay, breaststroke was good till about 1/2way down the pool, and then my muscles gave up, and coming home in the free was just a thrashing motion.

Literally 18 minutes later was the:

100 Fly 1:07.9 Ouchy in all different ways you can think of.
    30.6/(OUCH)
    My muscles just couldn't recover that quickly, especially on the lack of training I've done lately. It was 2.5 seconds slower than my last time in June.

Afterwards, I went back to spend some more quality time with Peony at the party. She is such a caring, loveable person. In leaving I told her I would see her again in the pool soon. She replied with "if I'm still alive". I told her that she'll always be there with us. Apparently she doesn't have much time left with us from what her doctors have been saying. She will be missed greatly by all.
    I will one day soon do a 1650/1500 fly at practice in her honor.
  10. Friday, July 8, 2011 6:00am

by , July 8th, 2011 at 10:18 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    LCM workout again...how lucky for me. (I don't really like LCM)

300 Free
    300 IM (no breaststroke)
    4 x 100 Free @ 1:30
    4 x 50 (25 Fly/25 Free) @ :15 rest
    2 x 50 Back @ :15 rest
    100 EZ
    ----------------
    1400 LC Meters

USA-S meet starts this afternoon, but I'm not swimming the first days events. Work is more important with the OT I'm getting.
    Saturday afternoon: 400 Free, 200 IM, 100 Fly
    Sunday: 200 Free, 100 Back, 50 Free, 200 Fly
  11. Tuesday, July 5th, 2011 4:30pm

by , July 5th, 2011 at 09:25 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Wow, I'm tired. I'll be sore later...

This is my 4th swim over an eight or nine day spread...totalling not very much yardage. I'm used to 5-6 day/week system. My body will pay for it soon.
    Work is just kicking my butt. Being on your feet 11+ hours running around fixing stuff and running the cherry line is strenuous. At least the 65 hour paychecks are kind of worth it. I think...

300 Free
    5 x 100 Free Pull @ 1:20
    200 Kick w/ board - ended up being a 100 kick with a 3 minute double leg hamstring cramp to deal with.

Originally I was planning on doing the 800 IM for time from the discussion forums, but with the cramping I cancelled that idea really quick!!

500 IM Drill (200 Fly, 150 Back, 100 Breast, 50 Free)
    500 Free Pull (this was "about 500"...I had to dodge 2 other lap swimmers at this point, one that was a moderate speed, and one that was "swimming".

--------------------
    ~2000 Yards (maybe)

I do have a USA-S Meet coming up here in Wenatchee this weekend (Starlight Invitational). I'm only going to swim Saturday's and Sunday's sessions. The OT at work is more valuable to me to skip out on Friday and Saturday work. I got the timeline already and don't start till 5:30pm with my first event, so I can work all day & just do a "deep tank warmup" and swim. I can't do that bad...can I???

Saturday: 400 Free, 200 IM, 100 Fly
    Sunday: 200 Free, 100 Back, 50 Free, 200 Fly

Red Event = GONNA SUCK HARDCORE!!
  12. Sunday, June 12, 2011 LCM Pentathalon Results - Corvallis

by , June 12th, 2011 at 11:25 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Wow, what a meet. ~40 people: 5 heats doing the 50s, 2 heats doing the 200s, and 3 heats doing the 100s, then a 10 minute break and repeat. They only swam with 4 swimmers per heat to make it last a little longer, but we were still getting pretty tired. It felt more like an extended rest lactate workout.
    My gridge with That Guy has been completed. He beat me in the 200 Back, and I took the other 4 races.

200 Back: 2:39.49
    1:17.4/1:22.0
    I was 2 seconds slower on this race, and not sure why. My 2:37 was outdoor in windy and sunny conditions, yet today was indoors. I don't know.
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2LQxtpti-k"]YouTube - ‪6-12-11 200 LCM Back - Corvallis, OR‬‏[/nomedia]

I'm in Lane 4, That Guy in Lane 3

200 Free: 2:12.80 (best masters time by 2 seconds) New LMSC Record.
    1:04.0/1:08.7
    I felt really good on this one. I still remember TG's comment afterwards. He said something like "well you were too far ahead of me to try to catch up, so I just hoped you swam a fast time". Thanks TG!!!
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzIRsEGgYGE"]YouTube - ‪6-12-11 200 LCM Free - Corvallis, OR‬‏[/nomedia]

I'm in Lane 3, That Guy in Lane 4

200 Breast: 3:04 (6 sec. slow, 4 sec. slower than last week) BUT...
    I did a 100 Breast split request in this one. I had an outside shot at the 100 Breast LMSC record, and this would be my last opportunity so I went for it.
    100 Record: 1:21.40
    Did: 1:22.03 (missed it by .63 seconds)
    I looked up at my split on the clock and was a little dissappointed, but it was a crapshoot if I made it anyway, and I still had my gridge with TG, so I couldn't swim too easy on the next 100.
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds3JgqzzKcc"]YouTube - ‪6-12-11 200 LCM Breast (100 Split) - Covallis, OR‬‏[/nomedia]

I'm in Lane 4, That Guy in Lane 2
    Video Note: My dad was following the wrong guy (with red cap) so I missed the last 50.

200 Fly: 2:29.89 (3 seconds slower that last week)
    1:10.7/1:19.1
    Good splits, I was just tired. I didn't want to take it out very hard cause I would've been killed. I did know that all the other competitors were probably feeling the same, if not worse that I was so I just pushed on. Coming off the last wall I just did a superman streamline glide with no SDKs but I felt OK so I went for it on the last 50. It hurt, but no piano. Kept my breathing 2/1 or 1/1 throughout the majority of the race.
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtBlUXSy93Q"]YouTube - ‪6-12-11 200 LCM Fly - Corvallis, OR‬‏[/nomedia]

400 IM: 5:28.21 (5 seconds slower)
    1:10.9/1:29.3/1:36.4/1:11.5
    Wow, I was tired by this point. I semi-pushed the fly, cruised the back (TG passed me here), breaststroke exploded off the wall for my 1st pullout to catch TG, and freestyle never looked back. I felt good considering the circumstances of the day.
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4lpI1v8p0s"]YouTube - ‪6-12-11 400 LCM IM - Corvallis, OR‬‏[/nomedia]

This was a tough day and I'm glad its over. No more LCM Distance Pentathalons for me (at least this year).

Oh and to add to the list:
    Pools I’ve competed in since starting Masters (Mar. 2009) SCY unless noted

• King County Aquatics Center, Federal Way, WA
    • Whitworth University, Spokane, WA
    • Sandpoint West Athletic Club, Sandpoint, ID (SCM)
    • Briggs YMCA, Olympia, WA
    • Wenatchee High School, Wenatchee, WA
    • Helene Madison Swim Center, Seattle, WA
    • University of Idaho – Moscow, Moscow, ID
    • Hood River Aquatics Center, Hood River, OR (SCM)
    • Tualitan Hills Recreation Center, Beaverton, OR (LCM)
    • Mount Hood Community College, Gresham, OR (LCM)
    • Bainbridge H.S. Aquatic Center, Bainbridge, WA
    • South Davis Recreation Center, Bountiful, UT (SCM)
    • Oak Harbor Aquatic Center, Oak Harbor, WA (SCM)
    • Canby Swim Center, Canby, OR
    • Juanita H.S. Aquatics Center, Kirkland, WA
    • Ray & Joan Kroc Center, Coeur d’Alene, ID (SCM)
    • Seattle University – Connoly Center, Seattle, WA
    • Kino Aquatics Center, Mesa, AZ
    • Orchard’s Pool, Lewiston, ID (LCM)
    • Wenatchee City Pool, Wenatchee, WA (LCM)
    • Osbourne Aquatic Center, Corvallis, OR (LCM)

Updated June 13th, 2011 at 12:14 AM by jaadams1

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Meets
  13. Apple Capital Meet (USA-S) - Sunday's Results

by , June 5th, 2011 at 09:58 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    I am beat tired right now after a long 3 day weekend. I'm just thankful that the meet was right here at home, 2 miles away.
    I swam some good times today, though not as fast as I wanted, but I did have fun! Here it is:

50 Free: 27.58 (.18 slower than last year)
    I'm not a sprinter, plain and simple. I could whine about have lane 1 (which did suck) mainly because I only breathe to the right and all my competition was to the left. Plus, lanes 2 & 3 were empty, so I was really on my own out there.

100 Fly: 1:05.32 (.3 seconds faster than meet 3 weeks ago)
    30.1/35.2
    I wasn't breathing enough on my first 50 and it got my on the 2nd length. I did end up getting 2nd overall in the race, so that made me feel good, and I was only 0.3 seconds away from being the grand champion!!
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeaHXAPRPwc"]YouTube - ‪6-5-2011 100 LCM Fly - Apple Capital USA-S Meet‬‏[/nomedia]

200 IM: 2:32.90 BEST TIME!! by 1.4 seconds.
    30.1/41.6/46.9/34.1
    I felt sluggish through the whole race until the freestyle and then I couldn't quite run down the leader of my heat but I was close.

200 Free: 2:22.5*** (play around race)
    My final 50 split was a 33.9, which of course I did FLY on. I took the first 150 easy, flipped and went for home AFAP Fly. I almost ran down one of the kids on the last length too.
    I was so beat tired at this point before the race that I didn't think I would be able to pull out a truly fast 200 Free that I'd be happy with, so I did it this way instead. I enjoyed the "roar of the crowd" as I was swimming it. I could here them cheering me on for what I was doing.

We had many adult swimmers in the meet this weekend. Some are USMS, and some are not. It was good to see so many adults coming out for the USA-S meets. I had a lot of random adults coming up to me talking about why I am doing it,, etc. And just like PWB...I love to race.

Updated June 5th, 2011 at 10:04 PM by jaadams1

Categories
  14. Apple Capital Meet (USA-S) Saturday's Results

by , June 4th, 2011 at 11:21 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Today was a looooong day. Warmups were at 11:00am, with the afternoon session starting at 12:00pm. It's 8:00pm right now. The only thing that saved me was the 2 1/2 hours after the 100 Free that I spent at home staying out of the sun.
    All my events in USA-S I swim as exhibition so as to not take away any placing points or awards from the kids/teams. I'm just swimming for the times.

My 1500 from last night I was the 5th fastest time (and was not chicked).

100 LCM Free: 1:00.10 (previous best 1:00.11) BEST TIME!! NEW LMSC RECORD (by .01)
    28.5/31.6
    Was 12th place (I was chicked by 1 female - Shari Hart, 40 yrs old from the PNA - 59.96 Good job to her!!
    Going out I felt great, but coming home I was breathing every stroke, and my legs were burning on the last 25. Wanted under a minute soooo bad.

50 LCM Fly: 28.87 (previous best 29.00) BEST TIME!! NEW LMSC RECORD (by .13)
    Was 5th place
    I found that as long as I kept my head down I was fast...whenever I took a breath I could feel the brakes being applied. Still a fast swim.

200 LCM Fly: 2:26.62 (previous best 2:32.08) BEST TIME!! NEW LMSC RECORD (by 5.5 sec.)
    Was 8th Place - chicked by 1 sixteen year old - 2:26.56 - (.06 ahead of me)
    31.9/36.9/39.0/39.0
    My splits tell it all. It felt great. I took it out a second slower than the previous two times, and ended up bringing the back half home strong with a 6 second drop. Yippie!!
    (Not sure if the slower 1st 100 or the Cheeseburger, Chips, and Mountain Dew from the concession stand did the trick to make me swim a faster race)
    I have a video that only has the 2nd 100 of the race (I'm in the RED CAP)
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niPlXBS9ZRU"]YouTube - ‪6-4-11 200 Fly (2nd 100) Apple Capital USA-S meet‬‏[/nomedia])

200 LCM Breast: 3:00.13 (2 sec. slower that last year)
    didn't get the splits
    don't know what place (don't care either)
    chicked by as many as possible.

This last event (for me) was completed at 7:30pm or so. They had the 400 Free after the breaststrokes, and it was schueduled to end close to 10:00pm!! Very long day, and at least I was able to get home in the middle of it for a little R & R.

Tomorrow is a lot shorter day, and I will be swimming:
    50 Free, 100 Fly, 200 IM, & 200 Free

Updated June 5th, 2011 at 10:57 AM by jaadams1

Categories
  15. Apple Capital Meet (USA-S) Friday 1500

by , June 3rd, 2011 at 09:15 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    I made it!! I conquered my fear. It's been about 15 years since I've done a LCM 1500, and I know why now. It may be another 15 years before I think about it again! (kidding...at least not till next year though)

I swam a 2200 yard practice this morning at 5:00am which is way more than I usually do the day before/of a meet, so I guess I'm "swimming right thru" this one. My distance free always does better when I put in more yardage (imagine that!), which I have been doing over the past few weeks.

Well, tonight I was the 13th overall seed in the 1500. It was mixed gender and I think only 3 girls were seeded ahead of me. I'll have to check the final results to see how many chicked me in the end.

Here are the splits (stopwatch):

32.3/35.9 (1:08.3)
    36.9/36.7 (2:22.0)
    37.4/37.4
    37.5/37.9 (4:52.2) - 3 sec. slower than my 400 from 3 weeks ago
    38.1/38.0
    38.1/38.5
    38.0/38.3
    38.5/38.3 (9:58.1)
    38.3/38.0
    38.7/38.3
    38.4/38.6
    38.6/38.5
    38.6/38.8
    38.2/37.9
    37.2/36.4 (18:52.60)

My entry time was 18:56 which was an educated guess from the conversion of SCY 18:07 + about :20-:30 or so. I think I was 2nd or 3rd in my heat, which was nice. The kid next to me was back and forth for about the first 500 and then he fell back quickly. I even lapped a few of the outside lanes, which gave me enough time for about a 50 of cooldown (which isn't adequate, but will suffice!). My triceps and lats are saying OUCH right now, so I know I did good.

I was very happy with my consistency. I wanted to hold 1:15s, but 1:16s will work. I got my LMSC record for both the 800 and 1500 LCM frees, so I did good. That means I don't have to swim either of these again this year. Very nice!!

Tomorrow, I've got about 5 hours of overtime work to do in the morning before I head over to the pool for a long session.
    Tomorrow, I have the 100 Free, 50 Fly, 200 Fly, and 200 Breast. I'm the #3 seed in the 50 Fly! All the other events are going to be tough, but fun. I like being at a meet right here at home.

Updated June 3rd, 2011 at 09:34 PM by jaadams1

Categories
  16. Friday, June 3, 2011 5:00am

by , June 3rd, 2011 at 10:23 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Nothing too special. Just a nice and easy swim before the meet starts this afternoon.

Warmup:
    200 Free
    100 Kick
    200 Pull
    200 Fly Drill
    100 Kick
    200 Pull

300 Free @ 4:00 nothing tough, holding 1:15 per 100s
    200 Free @ 2:40
    100 Free @ 1:20

300 Free Pull @ 4:30 same here 1:15s/100
    200 Free Pull @ 3:00
    100 Fly went 1:05 about 80% effort

-----------------
    2200 Yards

I've got to swim the 1500 frickin' LCM about 4:00pm today (about 8 hours away). I haven't done one since I was 18 years old. I never liked it then, and I'm sure I still don't like it now!! No online seeding or heatsheets have been given out. Only the timeline that shows 102 entrants in the 1500. Hopefully I'm in the Top 20 so I can get done by the 2nd heat. I don't want to be waiting around all evening...though I could just go back to my house a mile away.
  17. Monday, May 30, 2011 5:00am

by , May 30th, 2011 at 12:04 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Got in right at 5:00 to get the full 2 hours in!

Warmup: (PWB)
    500 Free
    400 IM Drill
    300 Free Pull
    200 Kick
    100 Free

20 x 25 w/ short fins @ :35 (Inspired by The Fortress)
    Odds: SDK / Evens: Free swim w/ 5 SDKs off wall

7 x 100 Free @ Descending intervals 1:30, 1:25, ... down to 1:00 (by jaadams1) I like these kind of sets
    --held 1:05s easily through the 1:15
    --went 1:04 @ 1:10
    --went 1:05 @ 1:05
    --went 1:07 @ 1:00 this one was just too much

100 EZ Free (I'll give this one to ThatGuy - sorry I couldn't incorporate your 7x300s Fly today)
    This was my normal time/yardage that I usually get out at (1 hour/~2800 Yards).

4 Times Thru: (Courtesy of GDanner)
    300 Free Pull @ 5:00 (went 3:25/3:21/3:17/3:11)
    200 Stroke (IM Order by cycle) @ 3:00 (went 2:29/2:33/2:40/2:05)
    4 x 50 Free @ :45
    4 x 25 Stroke (IM Order by cycle) @ :30
    1:00 between cycles

4 x 75 Kick w/ fins & board :10 rest
    200 EZ

------------------
    6500 Yards!!! (Inspired by tjrpatt) (GTD is now over 200 Miles)

This was by far the most yardage I've done to date as a Masters swimmer. I'm tired now, but feel good. My body could definitely tell where the 3000 yard mark was at, as it kept screaming at me "WT". As long as I didn't stop I was okay though. My freestyle is feeling great lately, so I hope that carries through this next coming weekend for the LCM meet (USA-S). At least it's right here in Wenatchee (finally).

Friday: 1500 Free
    Saturday: 100 Free, 50 Fly, 200 Fly, 200 Breast
    Sunday: 50 Free, 100 Fly, 200 IM, 200 Free

Updated May 30th, 2011 at 12:24 PM by jaadams1

Categories
  18. LCM Meet in 2 weeks

by , May 21st, 2011 at 12:16 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    The Apple Capital meet (USA-S) is coming up the first weekend of June, the 3rd - 5th. This is basically the Wenatchee club team hosting all the PNS (Pacific NW) club teams for a beat-down.
    The best thing for me is that the pool is less than 2 miles from my house! Yippie!! Finally I don't have to drive forever to do a meet!!
    I'm sure there will be a few Masters swimmers in the meet other than me, but they do have coaching responsibilities I'd assume, so may not be swimming too much. Plus, there will be a few college kids home for the summer. I think I'll be busy waving the

Here's my event lineup and entry times:

Friday:
    Male 15 & Over 1500 Free X18:56.33L

Saturday:
    Male 15 & Over 100 Free X1:00.82L
    Male 15 & Over 50 Fly X29.01L
    Male 15 & Over 200 Fly X2:32.36L
    Male 15 & Over 200 Breast X2:58.19L

Sunday:
    Male 15 & Over 50 Free X27.40L
    Male 15 & Over 100 Fly X1:04.48L
    Male 15 & Over 200 IM X2:34.25L
    Male 15 & Over 200 Free X2:14.77L

Overall, I think my events are good, and I should swim well. The only real worry I have is the 1500 LCM! I've never like the race.
    Categories
    Meets
  19. LCM Results from USA-S Meet

by , May 15th, 2011 at 07:31 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Well, I made it. I'm sunburned redder than a lobster from Saturday and waterlogged from the downpour of rain today, so had a little of everything...including my handed to me by a bunch of 14-16 year old kids. I swam all my events as exhibition so I wouldn't take awards/placing away from the age groupers as well, not that there were that many in the 17+ ages.
    This was swum in a 6 lane, 50 meter pool with no additional space for cooldown. Starting end was 12 feet deep, but went to 4 feet at the 15 meter point, and continued to 3 feet at the turn end. Not the best pool, but the pool doesn't make the swim fast, that's the swimmer's job to make the swim fast no matter what the conditions are!

Saturday:
    HOT, 79 degrees and pure sun. No clouds in the sky, and a little breezy. Not bad for the middle of May in Idaho.

400 IM: 5:23.61 (best time/also a new LMSC record)
    30.0/36.8 (1:06.8)
    43.9/43.3 (1:27.2)
    48.7/48.9 (1:37.6)
    --.-/--.- (1:11.9)
    I was 5th overall among the 13 & Over boys division. I was pleased with the swim. My backstroke still sucks in an IM event though.

200 Back: 2:37.84 (best time by 3 sec./also a new LMSC record)
    --.-/--.- (1:16.4)
    41.4/39.9 (1:21.3)
    All I was thinking during this event was "where are those damn flags???!!?"

100 Breast: 1:23.19 (best time)
    38.3/44.8
    I'm definitely needing walls at the 25s to have another pullout in breaststroke. Ugly!

100 Free: 1:00.11 (best time by 0.7 sec./also a new LMSC record)
    --.-/--.-
    Sooooo close to breaking a minute.
    Didn't get the splits, but I got a video It felt really good when at about the 75-80 meter point the kid next to me fell back and I kept going.
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_rcXOD95YE"]YouTube - 5-14-11 100 LCM Free @ Lewiston, ID USA-S Meet[/nomedia]

200 Fly: 2:32.08 (best time by 0.3 sec./also a new LMSC record)
    Don't look at these splits, and please don't laugh too hard.
    30.1/37.9 (1:08.2)
    41.2/43.0 (ouch)
    Basically, this was my 5th event of the meet, and it was literally 15 minutes after the 100 free. I felt good thru about 125 meters, and after that I just watched everyone pass me. I've got another chance for the 200 Fly at our home meet in June.
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsGQYvrUA6g"]YouTube - 5-14-11 200 LCM Fly @ Lewiston, ID USA-S Meet[/nomedia]

Sunday:
    Cold, +-50 Degrees or so, clear skies at first, then the clouds and wind started coming in, turning to light rain, then a complete downpour!!

400 Free: 4:49.38 (best time by 1 sec./also a new LMSC record)
    1:06.7/1:14.2/1:14.8/1:13.7
    I was in the outside lane of the final heat and just tried to ignore the kids in the middle. I split it pretty good, but looking at it now, I probably could have brought each 100 down another second or two.

100 Fly: 1:05.62
    --.-/--.-
    Considering the temperature dropped really quickly, and the rain started pouring at this point, it was a great swim. I was about 1 second slower than my swim from last year which was indoors. I was happy with this because I was also 2nd place overall in the event. The kid that beat me just finished his freshman year at the Univ. of Puget Sound, where he set the conference record in the 200 Fly this year.
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lly96_kVRzo"]YouTube - 5-15-11 100 LCM Fly @ Lewiston, ID USA-S meet[/nomedia]

200 Free: Cancelled
    The downpour of rain and wind was so intense, and it was freezing that the officials decided to call off the remainder of the meet, which still had 4 or 5 more total events for all ages to go. I only ended up missing this one event, but that's OK with me.

Updated May 15th, 2011 at 08:42 PM by jaadams1

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Meets
  20. 1st LC Meet USA-S as a Master :) preview

by , May 12th, 2011 at 11:46 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Here's the psych sheet. I'm the in the heats.

I'm using all my best times from last summer's LC meets that I did, so I should be able to improve on my times. I'm in way better condition that I was last year.

Saturday I'm swimming:
    400 IM (seeded 2nd)
    200 Back (8th)
    100 Breast (6th)
    100 Free (5th)
    200 Fly (4th)

Sunday:
    400 Free (5th)
    100 Fly (tied 2nd)
    200 Free (6th)

It's a 6 lane 50 meter pool, I've never swum in this size pool before, but at least I'm in the top heat in all of my races. 200 back isn't considered a race, if you want to get technical about it...it's a survival swim.

This will be one heck of a challenge too. Lots of events, and I get to start it all off with the hardest event possible (IMO) for LCM swimming.

Updated May 13th, 2011 at 12:03 AM by jaadams1

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Meets
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast