Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by pmccoy
    Congrats to the Seahawks! I'm headed to the pool to do my 1000 fly.
    Nice! My shoulder is 100% glad that the Seahawks won. It would've been a bad thing to have to do that for me this morning. Good luck with your survival swim.
    Congrats to the Seahawks! I'm headed to the pool to do my 1000 fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial
    OMG, are you able to get off the couch? You had a ruff weekend!
    Yeah, I'm doing pretty good. I've been basically doing 2 jobs since mid-November...my normal job on swing shift, and the house remodel which can be a varying degree of difficulty day to day. Swimming has sort of taken a back seat, but I still try for 3 or so days a week.
    OMG, are you able to get off the couch? You had a ruff weekend!
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Great workout. Those 50s at the end were awesome. Isn't it funny how much different you can feel in the pool between two consecutive swims. Swimming is weird like that. Feel plays a lot into how you do.
    Thanks Stewart! Every day for me is definitely different. I have so many variables going on right now that I just have to take things one day at a time. I just hope for my meet in a month that things are lined up the way I'd like.
    Great workout. Those 50s at the end were awesome. Isn't it funny how much different you can feel in the pool between two consecutive swims. Swimming is weird like that. Feel plays a lot into how you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    That was generally my experience last year. When I did race, it almost always felt even better than in workout ... but the aftermath of pain a day or two after racing was generally much worse than the pain after workout.

Are you doing any sort of preventive exercises for your shoulder? If not, I can recommend the ones that worked for me.
    I'm not currently doing much besides going to work (which is strenuous), and working on my house rebuild (which is time consuming), but I do know a few I could try to work in. I'm also open to new ideas too.
    It doesn't really hurt when I swim too much, but afterward I feel it. Oh well, come "game time", I'm ready to go!
    That was generally my experience last year. When I did race, it almost always felt even better than in workout ... but the aftermath of pain a day or two after racing was generally much worse than the pain after workout.

Are you doing any sort of preventive exercises for your shoulder? If not, I can recommend the ones that worked for me.
    Plus, these noodlers, open swimmers, water walkers, all help keep the cost down. Maybe the membership is higher in your neck of the woods, but without them, they cost would be even higher.
    I don't mind the public swimmers honestly. It gets a bit wavy, but truly they're not interfering with what I'm doing. An occasional ball will fly into my lane, and that only sucks when I don't see it coming and my stroke unknowingly hits it.
    I don't mind the swimmers that are lap swimming either, no matter what speed or form of movement they do. My only gripe is when I'm already splitting a lane with someone of a same or different speed, and then a 3rd person wants to join the lane who is a completely different speed altogether. At least group yourselves with people of "similar" abilities.
    The "public swim" people are doing what they enjoy in the pool, just as you and I enjoy swimming laps in the lap lane. They are doing nothing wrong.
    I don't get the "public swim" people. They just hang out and float around. Looks very unproductive if you ask me. And a waste of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    The remodeling's looking good.

So, are you finding these old newspapers inside the walls? Who stashes things there?

I don't know who wants stuff like that, but, unless you want them, there's got to be someone out in Craigslist or eBay land who totally has a jones for ~90 year old newspapers
    We found the newspapers beneath the floorboards of the 2nd floor, or above the ceiling boards of the 1st floor (same thing, just depends how you open it up). My dad assumes they used them as an airstop, to prevent air from passing through it easily, sort of an insulation I guess. They were sandwiched between the ceiling boards and a layer of cardboard that was laid in with the blow-in insulation on top of that. They're really in pretty good condition for 90 years old.
    Price of a new house in town back then according to the papers = $1,200. Same house on the market today (and this is the "bad area" of town now) = approx. $120,000-$150,000 or so.
    The remodeling's looking good.

So, are you finding these old newspapers inside the walls? Who stashes things there?

I don't know who wants stuff like that, but, unless you want them, there's got to be someone out in Craigslist or eBay land who totally has a jones for ~90 year old newspapers
    The Pats were flat all game. I followed in Twitter and caught the end 3rd/beginning of 4th at a restaurant before heading to church. Broncos played an excellent game.

Took today off from the pool purposefully, with that 1000 fly set staring me down for Wednesday. At least one of you will join my misery in two weeks! Hahaha
    I wish I could've seen the games yesterday, but I did have to work of course. At least it was 12 hours of OT, so a worthwhile day in the pocketbook.
    Our bet was strictly Seahawks or Patriots...whenever the team loses, you start out your next swim practice with a 1000 yards of fly. Doesn't have to be continuous, but 1000 yards worth. The only way out of it is to be the Superbowl Champ. I like Peyton Manning and the Broncos...but damn them if I have to do a 1000 Fly.
    Go Broncos! Actually, I don't really care either way except I foolishly signed on to this wager and took Denver. I like my chances. With the Seattle DBs talking trash, Peyton will have plenty of motivation to make them look bad. If he can't Welker will just take him out -
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Very nice meet James. I have been watching the series, Everest: Beyond the limit and your comment about the "final descent to the finish" reminded me of the series, except your descent was not Everest, although it was a very tough meet. Nice swimming.
    Thanks Stewart!! While I may not be quite as fast as I was a year ago, I'm still tough!
    Very nice meet James. I have been watching the series, Everest: Beyond the limit and your comment about the "final descent to the finish" reminded me of the series, except your descent was not Everest, although it was a very tough meet. Nice swimming.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Yeah, that's a lot of swimming. I'm impressed you had anything left at the end of the 500! Nice job!
    Thanks Kirk!!
    Was there anyone else anywhere near you in the 500?
    There were a few no shows, but I had a new guy from the TriCities (42 yrs.) who was a 5:40, and another guy from Montana who was 5:55. I was with both of them to the 150, going to the 200, they fell off a little bit, and that's when I added my kick and began my final descent to the finish.