Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    um...yeeeeeaaahh. A 500 Fly takes actual endurance training...not just a dive in a go type of thing.
    Nah, it's all mental
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    I think you should be consistent and make that a 500 fly.
    um...yeeeeeaaahh. A 500 Fly takes actual endurance training...not just a dive in a go type of thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    You are still in much better shape than I am. At least, you have a 2:11 200 fly in the books. I will be lucky to break 2:20 this yards season.
    It's all mental. That's how I'm going to approach this next meet. If I go into it thinking that I haven't been training well, and I'll probably suck...then I'll probably suck. I'm just going to dive in, take it easy, and build on each race...well, except the 200 Flys. Those you don't build...you hang on.
    I think you should be consistent and make that a 500 fly.
    You are still in much better shape than I am. At least, you have a 2:11 200 fly in the books. I will be lucky to break 2:20 this yards season.
    just 7 more rounds to go for you.
    I wonder if I can do that before the year is up? I may not even get in the water 7 more times this year, but have only 9 miles to go to 500 miles. Bring on the suit!
    just 7 more rounds to go for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Very good workout ... definitely not just getting wet. I think I might try the Chaos set sometime. Gotta bookmark this.
    The first part was just getting wet, but I had planned to do some kind of lengthy yardage today, just didn't know what exactly. Like most of my workouts the initial 500 of the Chaos Set began as a 100 Free that I decided to flip and keep going...then though about stuff and remembered Tom's blog. Workouts on the fly...easier when you're on a solo project of course!
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Nice workout. You have a lot going on in your life right now!
    Thanks!...and your day is just a walk in the park?
    Very good workout ... definitely not just getting wet. I think I might try the Chaos set sometime. Gotta bookmark this.
    Nice workout. You have a lot going on in your life right now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katherine Neustadt
    Sometimes I do something similar - I don't have the heart for a "real" workout, but I know I need to keep up with my fitness, so I just do distance sets (I wouldn't call it "nothing important". maybe "nothing specific"). Usually don't start out with a goal, but wind up deciding to do something like 4x500 or something about 6 lengths in. What I'm more confused with is, if that's the workout, why does she need to write it down?
    Almost all of my workouts are made up "on the fly" as I'm swimming. Warmups, kick sets, main sets, all of them. I sort of start swimming, sometimes the 100s turn into 150s, or 300s, depending how I feel. Also descending interval sets are something that I just 'go with the flow'. It's easier to do this swimming on my own.
    But as for a workout that is "nothing important", I don't believe in that. Everything I do has a purpose, mainly training for my 200 Fly/500 Free type of events. I also still try to train my kicking, which is a carryover from my last year of training with the age group team.
    With 12 miles to go, I should make it...but it really depends on my days off from work and how I can fit in a little pool time. It would be easier if I had a training facility in my backyard.
    Sometimes I do something similar - I don't have the heart for a "real" workout, but I know I need to keep up with my fitness, so I just do distance sets (I wouldn't call it "nothing important". maybe "nothing specific"). Usually don't start out with a goal, but wind up deciding to do something like 4x500 or something about 6 lengths in. What I'm more confused with is, if that's the workout, why does she need to write it down?
    I love the 500 mile suit, but there's no way I'm going to make it this year. Congrats as you'll easily make that.
    haha, anything that helps get you to the pool can't be bad for you
    I still have 35 miles to go, so you're way ahead of me.
    One of my normal lanemates was at workout this morning, and we chatted about it. She's never done GTD before and was asking me what kinds of suits...I told her for guys it is a brief or jammer, and you can select size/color. Last I looked, she was around 480, so she'll be there in 2 weeks.
    One reason I swam today was to get closer to a guy I normally swim with who is away for the weekend and can't swim. He's really into GTD and it will annoy him if I get closer
    Me neither and that is saying something from me. Plus, when I have to split the lane, I can't swim fly at practice! Ah, that is what meets are for, swimming fly!

Ok, maybe I can handle it if you stop after every 25.
    Lately I've resort to the sprint method of fly training. 25s fast on a moderate interval. It definitely hurts less than repeat 50s, 75s, or 100s. I know now why sprinters take the easy way out!
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    With days like this your GTD target of 500 miles is looking very achievable(unless work throws you more curve balls that is). Nice job today.
    Possibly. I'm about 13 miles away from 500 now. I'm sure I'll make it, but next year I doubt it.
    the KNelson USAS team 400 Fly workout
    Me neither and that is saying something from me. Plus, when I have to split the lane, I can't swim fly at practice! Ah, that is what meets are for, swimming fly!

400 fly split for :05, :05, :15, :05, :05, :05, :15, etc. (sprint the 25 after the 15 seconds rest)
    Ok, maybe I can handle it if you stop after every 25.
    With days like this your GTD target of 500 miles is looking very achievable(unless work throws you more curve balls that is). Nice job today.
Page 6 of 159 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast