Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Nice meet. That 1650,400IM,200Fly is one tough set of swims, let alone all those sprints mixed in for fun. Driving that long to and from a meet also adds to the challenge.
    Thanks Stewart! It was a fun meet, and I'm glad I was able to make it. It's been since August since I last competed, which is actually a long time in my book.

You are one tough guy!!
    Someone has to be that guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    Great job man!

Especially after working a straight 23 d which I can understand. I do a month like that once a year and know the drag it can place on swimming, moreover life at home.

Cool videos - nice launch off the block!
    Being the low guy on the totem pole at work, I get stuck with a lot of the dirty work...like covering the other guys' days off. It also happened that both production lines were running at the same times as my "regular" days off, so I just had to suck it up and earn the OT $$$$$, which I'm not complaining about either. I'm still waiting for my true day off, where I can do NOTHING but sit at home...and probably just do lap swim.

Thanks...starts and turns are one of my better parts...especially for a d-guy.
    Nice meet. That 1650,400IM,200Fly is one tough set of swims, let alone all those sprints mixed in for fun. Driving that long to and from a meet also adds to the challenge. You are one tough guy!!!
    Great job man!

Especially after working a straight 23 d which I can understand. I do a month like that once a year and know the drag it can place on swimming, moreover life at home.

Cool videos - nice launch off the block!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    That is a great turnout. Good luck ... and this reminds that, when I plan my family vacation next summer (probably Montana again), I need to look at the Inland calendar and strategically have it overlap a meet or, if at all possible, the Long Bridge swim.
    That would be cool to see you at an Inland NW event. During the summer months, things tend to by all about OW swimming here, unless you can get into a USAS meet for LCM swimming. Oregon holds 1-2 LCM meets each summer as well.

As for Longbridge...1st Saturday in August every year, that will help with the planning department.
    That is a great turnout. Good luck ... and this reminds that, when I plan my family vacation next summer (probably Montana again), I need to look at the Inland calendar and strategically have it overlap a meet or, if at all possible, the Long Bridge swim.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    No one at my pool understands circle swimming either and people will wait a long time for their own lane. I almost always offer to split my lane with people regardless of their speed though if I'm doing sprints or fly I am not so quick to do it. Occasionally I'll use their presence as an excuse to get out of swimming those, though. It's pretty rare that I'll have to share for longer than 15 minutes, though.

Also when I'm swimming I stick to one side of the lane so that if someone comes in they know I'm willing to split the lane. This usually doesn't backfire on me - the people who ask to split generally have enough skill that it's easy enough to share.
    I've seen people lined up waiting for lanes, and I just go to a lane, get them to start circling, and get in and swim. I'm not there to sit and watch!!
    No one at my pool understands circle swimming either and people will wait a long time for their own lane. I almost always offer to split my lane with people regardless of their speed though if I'm doing sprints or fly I am not so quick to do it. Occasionally I'll use their presence as an excuse to get out of swimming those, though. It's pretty rare that I'll have to share for longer than 15 minutes, though.

Also when I'm swimming I stick to one side of the lane so that if someone comes in they know I'm willing to split the lane. This usually doesn't backfire on me - the people who ask to split generally have enough skill that it's easy enough to share.
    Full meaning...yes 2 per lane. No one here understands circle swimming. I tell them it's like driving a car...stay on the right. "What about on the way back?" "Stay on the right!" My lane was all to myself, so by default the next person comes to my lane and says "can I share the lane with you?"

What am I supposed to do? Throw a complete fit, or let him come and swim with me? (and then drown 'em with a big fly set) :devilJames: I'm actually pretty courteous to my lanemates. If I'm not already in the middle of something serious, I don't usually try to drown them with intense stuff.
    full meaning 2 per lane or the other swimmers who are probably the same speed didn't want to circle swim for the continuous swim. Stop swimming so much!
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Yeah! I need to fake a 200 SCM fly this weekend. However, I think that I am going to root for just finishing it since I didn't hit the pool yesterday and today. My work schedule is ruining my training regiment. You are more of a training trooper than I am right now.
    Yeah, I guess 2000 a day is more than ZERO.
    Yeah! I need to fake a 200 SCM fly this weekend. However, I think that I am going to root for just finishing it since I didn't hit the pool yesterday and today. My work schedule is ruining my training regiment. You are more of a training trooper than I am right now.
    Thanks guys! $$$ doesn't buy happiness, but it's pretty darn close.
    yeah, congrats on the all-american 200 fly. I guess that it is a good thing that you can't enjoy the money to the fullest. Let the family enjoy it then!
    Congrats on your All-American 200 fly.
    That stinks for the meet cancellation. I was hoping for a SCM meet that would be doable for me this fall, so I'll just have to do the SCY one. Just for kicks I looked up my SCM rankings from my meet last spring, and realized that I didn't compete in the 200 Fly!! WTH??!?! Apparently I was going to do that in the fall, I guess?? At least my freestyles and 400 IM are in there though.
    My Thanksgiving meet got cancelled. I lack a bit of motivation at the moment, which is silly because the SCM champs over in NOLA in mid-December are a more "important" meet. But I'm bummed that they conflict with the St. Nick's meet in Atlanta because that was a super fun meet. Also, I won't have a chance to swim an 800 free SCM this year. I can split request it but it's not the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Do you use any supplements? I used to think supplements were mumbo-jumbo but since I got back in the pool I have been taking them and I now swear by them. I take omega 3, a complex multi vitamin, vitamin C and Creatin. I also drink a ton of water which really helps with muscle recovery in combination with creatin. Despite still being tired I have seen a general improvement in my ability to recover and I definately have way less aches and pains related to my joints.
    I take a daily vitamin, that's it. I know I don't drink enough water, and that's because soda tastes better. Plus my job is where most of the hard work comes from as well...not the pool workouts. They are more or less a stretchout swim, and if I'm feeling good afterward, I'll ramp it up and do something good. Tomorrow I have to work a 12 hour shift, starting 4 hours earlier (10:30am-11:00pm) Fun Fun!
    Do you use any supplements? I used to think supplements were mumbo-jumbo but since I got back in the pool I have been taking them and I now swear by them. I take omega 3, a complex multi vitamin, vitamin C and Creatin. I also drink a ton of water which really helps with muscle recovery in combination with creatin. Despite still being tired I have seen a general improvement in my ability to recover and I definately have way less aches and pains related to my joints.
    I am not even "complete" workout right now.