Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Yes, I dolphin kick the whole way, especially when wearing fins. For some reason I cramp when flutter kicking with fins on. When I kick w/ a board though, I almost always flutter kick, because I can't get anything out of my dolphin kick w/ a board. Let's not even speak about evilkick either.
    There is something wrong with my DK because I drown myself when I try to do DK on my back after surfacing, so I just SDk several kicks, then switch to flutter for the breakout and thereafter, just like backstroke swimming. EvilKICK is not so evil. Evilstroke is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    So are you dolphin kicking after you surface, or switching to flutter kick?
    Yes, I dolphin kick the whole way, especially when wearing fins. For some reason I cramp when flutter kicking with fins on. When I kick w/ a board though, I almost always flutter kick, because I can't get anything out of my dolphin kick w/ a board. Let's not even speak about evilkick either.
    I'm going probably 4-5 kicks underwater off the wall, though I remain in streamline the whole way.
    So are you dolphin kicking after you surface, or switching to flutter kick?
    How much of this are you actually doing underwater? Are you SDKing to the 15m mark off each wall? full lengths? A selected number of kicks? I had a run-in with the guards after doing 15m SDKs with fins a week or so ago.
    Karl, with this particular kick set (that I made up), I usually use my short fins. I can't go quite as fast as I can with the long fins, and the biggest goal is to try to get under :30 on the final 50. Sometimes I'll do the set 2x through, so making it to :30 on the second time is tough. With the short fins, I can't quite make :30 yet, but long fins it's almost too easy. Also, on that final 50, I'm doing more underwater than the other distances, probably about 15M each way.
    How much of this are you actually doing underwater? Are you SDKing to the 15m mark off each wall? full lengths? A selected number of kicks? I had a run-in with the guards after doing 15m SDKs with fins a week or so ago.
    I'm going probably 4-5 kicks underwater off the wall, though I remain in streamline the whole way. I'm not focusing on underwater swimming, since that's not really going to benefit me greatly in most of my events. We have a sign about the underwater breathholding at our pool as well, but I don't really push it.
    200 SDK @ 3:00 (went 2:25)
    150 SDK @ 2:30 (went 1:50)
    100 SDK @ 1:30 (went 1:10)
    50 SDK @ :30 (went :29)
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    yeah! I did more than you today.
    I think the big guy with the fins floating on his back kicking back and forth in the mornings at my Y did more that me too.
    yeah! I did more than you today.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    That sounds like a ton of fun! I really hope to make it to my alumni meet next year. They only do it every three years and I have never gone. I recall various shenanigans on the part of the alums to skew the meet in their favor, and I like shenanigans - plus those kids are way to fast for me! I might have to see if I can come up with a full body suit or something.
    It really is a lot of fun, and if you're anywhere nearby then go for it. I don't see making a cross country trip for this type of meet. My school is somewhat closeby, and I do have free lodging available with family in the area, so it's okay.

I was the only one who was doing "weird" things as far as cheating (running starts, fins, etc). Others were just relaying the distances (i.e. 2 x 50, 4 x 12.5). I tried to stay away from those short 50 races anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    James,

I love the variety of the events and the mixing, matching and riffing you did on traditional events. That meet looks like a helluva lotta fun. Though I'm sure waiting at the 175 of that fly made for a more exciting finish, it's kind of a shame you didn't get to see what you could pull out in that.
    Yeah, in my mind I kinda also wanted to know as well. I was wearing my legskin suit as well for the whole competition, so kinda cheating by our official USMS standards, but this is a "we get to do whatever we want" kind of meet.

Plus I have the 200 Fly, along with the whole Brute Squad of events in about 3 weeks from now over in Idaho. This meet gave me the confidence that I can complete the 200 Fly on my solo training that I've been doing.
    That sounds like a ton of fun! I really hope to make it to my alumni meet next year. They only do it every three years and I have never gone. I recall various shenanigans on the part of the alums to skew the meet in their favor, and I like shenanigans - plus those kids are way to fast for me! I might have to see if I can come up with a full body suit or something.
    James,

I love the variety of the events and the mixing, matching and riffing you did on traditional events. That meet looks like a helluva lotta fun. Though I'm sure waiting at the 175 of that fly made for a more exciting finish, it's kind of a shame you didn't get to see what you could pull out in that.
    Have fun!
    Swim fast(er than those college boys.)
    Thanks! It was a lot of fun.

The fast(er) part honestly wasn't that tough to do. There are only two guys that were faster than me (which is sad), and they weren't that much faster either...plus the coach said their work ethic is nothing like what he used to have in the past with other kids. My 200 Fly, I actually waited at the 175 about 10 seconds for the other kid to catch up, and then we raced home the final 25.
    Have fun!
    Swim fast(er than those college boys.)
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Good luck at the meet. Kick some butt and have fun!
    Thanks! I'm going to have some cheerleaders there as well. A friend of mine who swam with me in high school, and his wife (who also went to h.s. with me) are coming to watch. They live nearby and we haven't seen each other since h.s. days. Facebook can be good some times. Plus they're going to get my lunch for me afterward!
    Good luck at the meet. Kick some butt and have fun!
    good nutritious food
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    That's a bear of a set, but a cool one. When I'm ready to be a distance dog again, I'll have to remember it.
    You could always do it as IM! I'm sure that would be even more enjoyable!

I did send this workout to my former college coach and he liked it. Said his distance girls might enjoy it, but said the guys might be a little too wimpy to be able to handle it.
    That's a bear of a set, but a cool one. When I'm ready to be a distance dog again, I'll have to remember it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Why do seniors not realize they need new suits?! I see suits halfway down, suits deteriorating, suits that are see through, etc. How can they be so oblivious?
    What's worse is their habits in the lockerroom before/after the water exercise/walking/swimming/whatever they do in the pool. <-- That was deserving of a double!