View RSS Feed

Daily Practices

1. Thursday, January 19, 2012 6:30pm

by , January 19th, 2012 at 11:37 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Kirk Nelson would be jealous!!!...because I got to swim today!!
    All you have to do it get out of Seattle and the pools are open everywhere!!!

I got home about 6:00 this evening, it took a long time getting over the passes. We ended up going over Stevens Pass, which was a little longer, but it was actually the safest mountain pass considering all the horrible ice, freezing rain, and crap was further to the south.
    Luckily my brother in law had cleaned out part of my driveway, because there is about 15 inches of snow in the rest of it. I'll probably get out there in an hour or so and finish up the rest of it. Lucky for me also is that the snow on this side of the mountains is light, dry and fluffy, with almost no moisture in it, so it really isn't too bad to shovel out of the way. Problem is, I have a big driveway.

I cleaned off one vehicle so I could make it over to the YMCA for a quick swim. I got there in time for the final 30 minutes of the evening lap swim. The pool was all to myself, other than a father/daughter who were playing in the public swim side of the pool. Here's what I rushed in:

SPECIAL NOTE: Nothing feels better than jumping into one of your "home pools".

Warmup:

200 Free
    300 Free Pull

Main Set: Idea from PWB's Broken Mile Set

6 x 150 Free @ 2:05 (went 1:42/1:44/1:42/1:41/1:41/1:42)
    1 x 300 Free Pull @ 3:45 (went 3:26)
    2 x 150 Free Pull @ 1:55 (went 1:37/1:38)
    1 x 100 Free Pull @ 1:15 (went 1:05)
    1 x 50 Free Swim Fast (went :30)

Added up this 1650 is a 17:47 (I think I added that up right). My best time last year was 18:07, so doing this broken, and with some of it pull, the 17:47 is probably the correct math.

Also, while this broken time sounds great, I'm not sure if my little time off from the pool is going to result in a 1650 time close to this on Sunday.

50 EZ and out
    ----------------
    2200 Yards in 30 minutes

Updated January 19th, 2012 at 11:50 PM by jaadams1

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Daily Practices
  2. Thursday - Outta the hospital :)

by , January 19th, 2012 at 02:16 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    We're outta here!! Being discharged from Seattle Children's Hospital now.
    Benjamin will still be on his meds, but that is for the best. Hopefully it will keep him seizure free like he's been for a few days.

And I can get back home where THE POOLS ARE OPEN regardless of snow and ice on the ground.

Gotta get ready for the meet on Sunday in Wenatchee:
    1650 Free, 200 Fly, 100 IM, 50 Fly, 500 Free
    Categories
    Daily Practices
  3. Tuesday, January 17, 2012 6:30pm Medgar Evers Pool

by , January 18th, 2012 at 12:00 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Still swimming in the Seattle area...doing some pool hopping this week, which is actually kind of fun. I feel like I could be able to match PWB's workout pool list in another week or so at this rate!! This pool is to the east of downtown Seattle, and directly south from Husky Stadium about 3 miles on the side streets, but easy to find. It's kind of an "underground bunker" type of building, and you wouldn't see it at first unless you were looking for it either.

As I first walked out on deck for the lap swim, the age group swim team was just wrapping up, and their coach saw me and said "JAMES!!!, What are you doing here???" It was Lisa Dahl. Mega fast sprinter lady from the PNA. I told her "I was just in the area so I figured I'd drop by for a few laps." Then I explained to her about my son in the hospital over in Seattle, and how getting out to swim is my relaxation break from the madness that can happen at the hospital. I was tired though after last night, getting maybe a total of 2 hours of sleep with my son's seizures continuing. He ended up getting an MRI this afternoon, and we're still waiting to hear the results from that. Hopefully it will show good news, or at least could pinpoint a problem. Either way, it's news. We just want to get home soon, it's getting ridiculous now...12+ days straight with no major results. Grrrr...
    I was also swimming in the lap pool with another faster masters swimmer, Ian Mosher, who is new to the masters scene this last year. He's a fast 32ish year old flyer/backstroker/IMer, and we had fun doing a set together today.

Warmup:
    400 Free
    200 Kick w/ board
    400 Free Pull
    400 IM Drill

12 x 50 Kick w/ board @ 1:00 (:45-:47s)

Set with Ian Mosher:

5 x 100 Fly Fast @ 2:30 (Ian did 3 @ 5:00)
    Went 1:02 / 1:05 / 1:04 / 1:06 / 1:07
    These hurt like a mother too...

500 Free Pull stretch out and outta there

-------------
    3000 Yards

Where will I swim tomorrow? I'm thinking Husky Masters....I've got a temporary free pass, so I might as well.

Updated January 18th, 2012 at 12:43 AM by jaadams1

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Daily Practices
  4. Sunday, January 15, 2012 11:00am w/ Husky Masters

by , January 15th, 2012 at 05:32 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Thanks to Kirk Nelson for hooking me up with the Husky Masters team at the Univ. of Washington for a good workout with a great masters team.

NO THANKS to Kirk Nelson for failing to mention that Sunday is "Kick The Visiting Master's Swimmer's @ss Distance Day"!!!

I missed the warmup period since I had a hell of a time trying to find the pool on the UW campus, and luckily I had a cell phone contact to guide me to the pool, even though I was at the wrong pool!! There are two pools there separated by another building between, so I was close, but no cigar!!

Warmup (for me):
    100 Free - while the coach was explaining the workout for the team.

Main Set (continuous - which sucked!!)
    4 x 225 Free @ Desc. Interval (2:55, 2:50, 2:45, 2:40)
    (went 2:35 on first down to 2:28 on fourth one )
    This is when I found out the workout was on interval the entire way!! YIKES!!

1 x 300 Free Pull @ 4:15 (3:28)

5 x 200 Free @ 2:35 (went 2:15-2:20)

1 x 300 Free Pull @ 4:15 (3:22)
    I was feeling great here, but I was also nearing the end of my "traditional yardage" for a workout, and my body was ready for a crash.

6 x 175 Free @ 2:20 (Did 50 Fly/125 Free) came in around 2:05-2:10s on these, but this was my self imposed finishing move.

1 x 300 Free Pull @ 4:15 (3:45) <-- See I'm toast!

7 x 150 Free @ 2:10
    goal of the set was to hit your best ever 200 Free times (from college times, USA, or whatever)
    My best time was a 1:41, which is doable for me on repeat 150s, but not today at this point in the set.
    I did 2 of the 150s (1:44 & 1:47), and switched to 5 x 100 Kick w/ board @ 2:10

150 EZ and out
    ----------------
    5000 Yards

I still hurt.

I've also been invited back to swim with the team as long as I'm here with my son at his stay here at Children's Hospital. This was very nice of them. I don't think I'll be able to make another swim with them since I'll more than likely be outta here in the near future. My son is doing well, just have to still monitor his seizures and pray that the medicine does what it's supposed to.

For now...GO PACKERS!!!
  5. Saturday, January 14, 2012 3:00pm That Guy and ME

by , January 14th, 2012 at 09:28 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    I traveled over to Redmond this afternoon to meet up with That Guy for a little workout. All was doing good until the 25 yard point, when we both almost ended each other's career. Apparently we were going to SPLIT THE LANE, but I didn't realize that and went right down the lane behind That Guy. The pool was a little cloudy, and at the last minute I jumped upward and away to miss the "head to head" impact, but we still crashed pretty good. "We usually split the lanes here" was the comment from That Guy. Oops...
    (T.G.'s stuff in BLUE)

Warmup:
    200 Free
    100 Kick w/ board
    200 Free Pull
    200 IM Drill
    100 Kick w/ board (TG 800 IM K/Dr/Dr/S or something)

8 x 150 100 Free/50 Fly @ 2:15 (went 1:41-1:44s) (TG 8 x 150 Back)

100 EZ (100 EZ)

10 x 50 Flutter Kick w/ board @ 1:00 (:46-:50s) (TG 10 x 50 Fly)

100 EZ (100 EZ)

10 x 50 Free Pull @ :35 (:31-:34s) last 3 were touch and go
    then about :10 rest to join up with T.G. on the last 8 of his 20
    8 x 25 Fly @ :30 (20 x 25s Fly)

200 EZ (400+ EZ)
    ------------------
    3600 Yards

T.G. and I did the same sets (for the most part), with different strokes/swims within each set. Example: 150s he did all backstroke, and yes he ACTUALLY does do the 10+ SDKs off the walls that we all doubted he was doing. Maybe it was all an act for me, I don't know. I just thought it was weird to be on my 3rd or 4th breath of freestyle and look over and he was still SDKing. Tough stuff for sure. 5 bonus points for T.G.

=============================

More info on my son:

He had his EEG test done this morning at Children's Hospital here in Seattle, and while asleep in the test had two seizures occur (this was a good thing). These were the first seizures they've ever captured on the EEG out of the 4-5 that he's had done in his lifetime. This gave the child neurologists the chance to finally look at what is happening with my son's brain activity during a seizure, rather than just guessing. They have now pinpointed the location and type of seizures, and can now get the proper medication to control them, and hopefully stop them from happening. This makes us very very happy now. Finally some good news, and something more concrete than just a simple "I don't know", or "maybe". We're still going to have a few more seizures to be expected in the near future until the new meds are able to start working like they should, but at least we're hopefully on the downhill slope of this long and draining battle. We'll still be at Children's Hosp. for a couple more days, monitoring the situation, but at least we know he's in good hands.
  6. Friday, January 13, 2012 5:30am

by , January 13th, 2012 at 10:44 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    I got to the pool early, but today I just wasn't feeling too ambitious to get myself moving. Everyone was asking about my son and what new stuff was happening. He'll be leaving the hospital here via ambulance this morning around 10:00am headed to Seattle Children's Hospital, where hopefully they can get to the bottom of this whole seizure disorder. He had 3 small "wake-up" seizures last night, which were nothing more than a jerking awake suddenly for a couple seconds, then a brief moment of crying, and that was it...back to sleep. They were about 2 hours apart, but something is still happening.

As for swimming, I had the plan of doing part/most of PWBs "Bit O' Speed" workout from his weeks workout listing, but after I got into it, I just couldn't get myself going again. Probably a lot of stuff going on at the moment in my head.

Warmup:
    200 Free
    100 Kick w/ Board
    100 Scull w/ paddle/buoy (this is because I was talking with person in the next lane over about my son rather than doing the normal pull part of my w/up.
    200 Free Pull

PWB set: (My "Base" is 1:15/100)
    3 x 200 Free Fast @ (Base - :05) 2:20 (went 2:09/2:13/2:14)
    2 x 175 Free Pull EZ @ 2:40 (added :20 to above interval)
    1 x 150 Free @ (Base - :05) 1:45 (went 1:43)
    The set was supposed to have 4 of these 150s, and continue with more fun pain, but I wasn't feeling it, and decided to "pull the plug". PWB did say we could "modify as necessary".

10 x 50 Kick w/ board EZ @ 1:00

w/ others in lane now (prior was solo)

200 Free stretch out

3 x 200 Free Pull @ :30 rest from last person (easy/med/all-out)
    went 2:35/2:22/1:59 - had to do some interesting acrobatics during the last 200 to get around some lap traffic.

No cool down.

---------------------------
    3000 Yards

On Saturday maybe I'll get a chance to swim with That Guy, provided I get a chance to break away from the hospital scene for a little bit. I'll try to teach him how to do some shorter rest fly sets for better 200 Fly training!!
  7. Thursday, January 12, 2012 5:00am

by , January 12th, 2012 at 06:59 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    I got this set from Tall Paul's workout list in the forums. AZTIMM also did the same set the other day, since he swim's with Paul's group.

Warmup/Main:

2 x 100 Free @ 1:30 warmup
    2 x 50 Free @ :50 warmup
    1 x 600 Free Pull cruise @ 8:00 (went 7:10)
    1 x 100 Kick w/ board @ 2:00
    :20 rest to the TOP

2 x 100 Free @ 1:20 (1:07s)
    2 x 50 Free @ :50
    1 x 500 Free Pull "work it" @ 6:00 (went 5:28)
    :40 rest to the TOP

2 x 100 Free @ 1:15 (1:06s)
    2 x 50 Free @ :45
    1 x 400 Free Pull "work it" @ 5:00 (went 4:22)
    1:00 rest to TOP

2 x 100 Free @ 1:10 (1:06s)
    2 x 50 Free @ :45
    1 x 300 IM FAST @ 4:00 (went 3:41) Very nice!
    1 x 200 Kick w/ board EZ

--------------------
    3400 Yards

I really enjoyed this set. It gives the right amount of pain with pleasure.

============================

As far as my son...we're still in the hospital. He was fine all day long, and then had two more seizures this afternoon around 2:45-3:00, just of the "small" variety. Not too bad, and he's waking up and being more normal afterwards as well which is a plus. The doctor will be coming over after the clinic closes...so we'll just have to wait and see what happens. I wonder if I can postpone my house payment this month since I'm not even living in my house!!
  8. Wednesday, January 11, 2012 5:00am & 5:00pm

by , January 11th, 2012 at 10:01 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    A.M. Workout

My son has been doing pretty well at the hospital, and I had finally had a good amount of sleep, so I went in for a little stretch out relaxing swim.

Warmup:
    400 Free
    200 Kick w/ board
    200 Free Pull
    200 Fly Drill

10 x 50 Kick w/ board @ 1:00 (:45-:48s)

20 x 50 Free @ :45
    • 4 swim
    • 4 w/ paddles only
    • 4 w/ paddles & buoy
    • 4 w buoy only (this sucks - my pull isn't too strong alone w/out a kick or paddles)
    • 4 swim
    --------------------
    2500 Yards

It was a good relaxing swim, but still wiped me out after being out of the water for so long, and having such little sleep to revitalize me over the past 4-5 nights.

===========================

P.M. Workout:

I decided to take a small page out of PWB's workout log on the forums.

Warmup:
    200 Free
    100 Kick
    200 IM Drill

Using a BASE of 1:15/100 (I did this set all pull, since I didn't think my swim would've survived the set today)
    1 x 400 Free Pull @ 4:40 (BASE -:05) (went 4:28)
    2 x 50 Free EZ @ 1:00
    2 x 200 Free Pull @ 2:30 (BASE) (went 2:09/2:08)
    2 x 50 Breast EZ @ 1:00
    4 x 100 Free Pull @ 1:20 (BASE + :05) (went 1:01/1:02/1:02/1:02)
    2 x 50 Back EZ @ 1:00
    **Cramped in the arch of my foot pushing off the last backstroke turn...then when I pulled my leg up to stretch my foot, my frickin' quad cramped!! That's a first time for me...I had to think about which way to stretch it! Ouchy.
    Took a few minutes, then completed the set:
    8 x 50 Free Pull @ :45 (Base/2 + :7.5) (went mostly :30/:31s, with a few :32s)
    2 x 50 Free EZ @ 1:00

1 x 100 Breast Kick w/ board EZ
    ------------------------
    2600 Yards

5100 Yards for the day

=================================

My son is doing okay in the hospital still. He had another "minor" seizure tonight...a stiffening of the arms & legs & face, eyes wide staring, but no shaking...just an intense flexing action for less than a minute. The medications have been increased slightly earlier this morning, and we will continue watching over him here and praying for the best of course. His school teacher came by earlier today, and he was very happy to see her. She said all the kids miss him a lot, and want him back in school. Soon he'll be there, for now, this is the best place for him.
  9. Friday, January 6, 2012, 5:00am & 3:30pm

by , January 6th, 2012 at 08:36 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    A.M. Workout

Went in with the plan to do PWB's "All in One" workout, but didn't have it in me to finish it after all that was going on last night. It was still a good swim, more mentally relaxing than anything.

100 Free w/up

4 x 50 Flutter Kick w/ board @ 1:00
    3 x 100 Free @ 1:20 (1:12s)
    1:00rest (as prescribed)
    1 x 200 IM FAST @ 3:00 (went 2:26)
    1 x 400 Free Pull @ 5:00 (went 4:40)

** Took a break here to get out an make a call to the work call center to inform them that I wouldn't be at work today due to my son's situation. Have to make this call every day (complany policies), even though my boss knows what is happening. I have FMLA to cover my time off, though it's unpaid.

4 x 50 Flutter Kick w/ board @ 1:00
    3 x 100 Breast @ 1:45 (1:30-1:33)
    1 x 200 IM semi-FAST @ 3:00 (went 2:36) just not feeling it now...
    1 x 400 Free Pull @ 5:00 (4:45)

That's it...done with this set...only had 4 hours or so of sleep last night, and even that is a high guess with the amount of middle of the night nurse visits to check on my son.

1 x 200 Free EZ

w/ group:
    10 x 50 Kick w/ board @ 1:00 (:45s)

---------------------
    3000 Yards

=============================

P.M. Workout with Eastmont High School boys team.

I got invited to come swim with the boys to try to push them a little bit. I was told they are quite lazy, and YES THEY ARE LAZY. They have no work ethic, and it's pretty sad that a 34 year old masters swimmer can outdo all of them in practice...even though the coach tried to make it tough. I'm not going to do it again with them...only because the kids don't give a S about anything anymore. There's just no work ethic. I was gassed on the main set I did, but the others were just dropping like flies. My lane started with 5 in it, and by a few reps we had 4, then 3, then only 2 of us actually making the interval. Even the 2nd guy was skipping 50s of the 200s here and there. What a wuss!!!! C'mon boys, man up a little!! I made it, and it was hard. I'm even twice their age.

Warmup:

400 Free
    300 Kick w/ board
    **the fastest kid (behind me) only did a 100 of 400 because "he can get away with it". I called him on it and he completely denied it. It's frickin obvious if I already completed my 400 before he even got in the water, and then he was kicking pretty soon after getting in the water. That just means the coach needs to put his foot down a little, rather than trying to recruit old washed up alumni like myself to do the dirty work!! WTF?!?!?

Main:

8 x 200 IM @ 2:45
    At first in my head I was thinking what the hell is this?, but I just manned up and went for it.
    • 1st one was 2:18 - absolutely flying!!
    • 2nd thru 4th was 2:25-2:29s
    • took an extra :30 break here to let the lane catch up (it didn't really help them much) - also this break was for myself too, I was gassed!
    • #5-7 - went 2:28-2:31s
    • #8 just went for it, and came home with a 2:24
    • Good News - I made them all and felt really good about it, especially kicking the kids butts.
    10 x 100 Kick w/ board @ 1:50 (went 1:25-1:35s)
    I went last in the lane of 4 kids because I was the only one NOT using zoomers. Again, WTFF?? These guys just don't "have it" anymore. They were lazy kicking w/ the zoomers as well, and i wasn't more than 5 seconds off their pace kicking barefooted.

I just was fed up with their lack of work ethic and just got out at this point. It was a good fun workout, and I'm glad for myself that I was able to do it, but I'm not going to go back to swim with those boys. They just don't care.

--------------------------
    3300 Yards in about 50 minutes

6300 Yards for the day.
  10. Thursday, January 5, 2012 5:00am

by , January 5th, 2012 at 04:34 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Did a modified version of PWB's "Monster Weekender" main set as my workout today. I only have an hour at best, so I make it work.

1 x 500 Free warmup
    2 x 400 Free Pull @ 5:00 (went 4:39/4:37)
    3 x 300 IM @ 5:00 (went 3:55-3:58)
    4 x 200 Flutter Kick w/ board @ 4:00 (went 3:25-3:30s)

2 x 100s EZ Free

----------------------
    3200 Yards

Other not so good news...it looks as though my son's seizures have returned from when he was younger. We got a call from the school today that he had a long one in class, this being the 2nd one since last weekend...and again here at home had a 3rd one. He's already headed to the doctor's office in the hour, and most likely will be placed back on the medication again. Hopefully everything will be fine. I'm sure we'll go through all the previous tests again that he did when he was 2 years old (he's almost 6 now). I just hope everything turns out well. Even a lifetime of medication would be better than not knowing when or if these can happen.
  11. Wednesday, January, 4, 5:00am & 5:00pm

by , January 4th, 2012 at 10:11 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    A.M. Workout (got the idea from Tom Patterson's 1/3/12 workout)

Warmup:
    200 Free
    100 Kick w/ board
    200 IM Drill

3 rounds of:
    1 x 300 Free Pull @ 3:45 (went 3:27, 3:26, 3:28 by rounds)
    1 x 100 Free @ 1:20 (:07-08s)
    1 x 100 Free @ 1:15 (:07-08s)
    1 x 100 Free @ 1:10 (:07-08s)
    4 x 50** (1 each stroke) @ :50
    4 x 25 (1 each stroke) @ :30
    :40 rest to "top"

6 x 50 Kick w/ board EZ @ 1:00
    ----------------------
    3500 Yards

**the first 50 Fly in the 4 x 50s was the hardest part of the entire set, coming off the 1:10 free interval
    I almost talked myself out of doing round 3, but stuck with it. I don't usually do long "continuous" sets like this very often. My body was feeling a little rugged from the last 2 days of workouts (9000 day, & PWB ladder set day)

========================

Why not? P.M. Workout

I went into this practice with a Fort sprinty type workout in mind. Might as well every now and then. In college, my mornings used to consist of 1-2 distance, 1-2 IM, 1 Fly, and 1 Choice (I would do sprint "thinking" it was easy). I was a speedster back then, but I don't think it'll come back too easily now.

Warmup:
    200 Free
    100 Kick w/ board
    200 Free Pull
    200 IM
    3 x 100 Free Pull @ 1:15

8 x 50 Kick w/ board @ 1:00 (held :45-46s)

100 Free stretch out

8 x 50 Kick w/ long fins SDK on back @ 1:00 (held :28-:30s)
    I didn't do very much underwater, since I'm not in training for it, and that would quickly exhaust me.

100 Free stretch out

4 x 100 Free w/ fins and paddles @ 2:00 BEST AVG.
    (:52, :53, :53, :53)
    I hit the wall after the first one and was like WOW! I haven't seen that kind of speed in practice in a while. I was able to recover well between each one, but I was stuck in the distance guy breathing pattern - every stroke. Some things I guess will never leave.
    The set was supposed to be 5 of the 100s, but during the 4th one, my right foot was killing me. I removed my fins, and had a huge popped blister on the knuckle of my big toe from the fins. n OUCH!! I don't use fins at all, so my feet aren't used to them rubbing on me. Also, if I go a size up, they tend to slide more and sometimes fall off during pushoffs.

100 Free stretch out

OK, enough of that...this next set was for me!

2 x 125 Free Pull @ 1:30 (went 1:20, 1:22)
    1 x 200 IM Fast @ 3:30 (aim for under 2:30 - went 2:32)
    2 x 125 Free Pull @ 1:30 (went 1:20, 1:21)
    1 x 200 IM Fast @ 3:30 (same goal - went 2:28)

100 EZ and out
    ----------------------
    3500 Yards

Total for the day - 7000 Yards
  12. Tuesday, January 3, 2012 5:00am

by , January 3rd, 2012 at 07:54 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    I took a look at PWB's new workout forum, and got this idea for today's workout from his "ladder land" set.

[ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19940"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame]

Warmup
    2 rounds of:
    200 Free
    100 Kick w/ board
    200 Free Pull

Main
    Push the Frees on the way up/cruise IMs up.
    Fast on the IMs on the way down/cruise frees down.

100 Free @ 1:15 (1:06)
    200 IM EZ@ 3:00 (Drill on the fly) others full stroke
    300 Free @ 3:45 (3:28)
    400 IM EZ @ 6:00 (Fly 25 Drill, 25 Swim, 25 Drill, 25 Swim) others full stroke (was 5:20)
    ** (insert wussy modification here)
    300 Free @ 4:00
    200 IM Fast @ 3:00 (very tough, 2:29)
    100 Free @ 1:20

12 x 75 Free Pull @ 1:00 (:51-:54s)
    ----------------------
    3500 Yards

**If you took notice, I skipped the 500 Free, and 400 IM on the decline side of the ladder. I wasn't sure what kind of timeline I was on, and didn't feeling like killing myself after my 9000 yard day yesterday. Plus I need to do more longer swims as well...this set told me that. I think PWB's practices are harder than they look on paper.
  13. Monday, January 2nd, 2012 11:15am (2nd swim)

by , January 2nd, 2012 at 04:02 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    WTH...let's start off the new year with a double!!

I was still tired from my 6500 earlier today (literally out of the pool 4 hours before swimming this)

Warmup:
    300 Free
    200 Kick w/ board
    300 Free Pull
    200 IM Drill

10 x 50 Kick w/ board @ 1:00 (:47-:50s)

4 x 150 Free @ 2:15 go fast!! (went 1:36, 1:35, 1:33, 1:32)
    This was tough, feeling the yardage from this morning.

4 x 75 Free Pull "easy speed" @ 1:00 (:51s)

100 EZ
    ---------------------
    2500 Yards

+ 6500 from the a.m.

==================
    9000 Yards for the day

14. Monday, January 2, 2012 5:00am

by , January 2nd, 2012 at 11:17 AM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    This morning was a tough one, especially after being out of the water for the Fri-Sun weekend. Friday was my own fault, I didn't get up with my alarm , Saturday I spent time at the hospital with my son (missed the 100x100s w/ the h.s. boys). Oh well, family first! My son is fine by the way. Sunday, there is nowhere to swim in this area ever on a Sunday.

I ended up going for as many 100s as I could put together this morning. My normal practice output is 1 hour/3000-3500 yards, so I was above and beyond that today and felt it when I got past my normal distances.

Solo:
    10 x 100 Free @ 1:30 (1:15s)
    10 x 100 Free Pull @ 1:30 (1:12-1:14s)

1:00 rest

10 x 100 Free @ 1:25 (1:12-1:13s)
    10 x 100 Free Pull @ 1:25 (1:10-1:12s)

10 x 100 Flutter Kick w/ board @ 2:00 (1:45-1:53s) did NOT cramp which is nice!!

10 x 100 IM @ 1:40 (1:20ish)
    The first length of fly was like OWWWW after sitting idle on the kickboard in the last series.

--------------------

After this I sat for a little bit, feeling pretty much exhausted. I could've kept going, but new that I really shouldn't, and it wouldn't have benefited me any more.
    I noticed that the masters workout group was doing a 5 lane circuit workout where they were rotating lanes every 8 minutes. The fastest group was just rotating into a lane that was doing a set of: (I joined them for this one)

3 x 100 @ 2:00
    • 1st easy
    • 2nd 10 sec. faster than 1st one
    • 3rd 10 sec. faster than 2nd one
    I went out conservative, probably a little too conservative, going 1:22, then 1:13, and finished with a whoppin' :57 on the final one. I knew I was blazing in the pool, but I didn't expect to see that fast either! The coach was quite surprised I did that after all the 100s as well.

This was the final rotation of the circuit set, so then we did 4 x Dive 25s w/ easy 25 back after each one.
    1st one Fly (swam somewhat easy - didn't know we were getting timed till I hit - 12.5) probably could've been 11mid
    2nd one Back - did this just for the start and SDKs
    3rd one Breast - 14.7
    4th one Free - 10.5

I'm not sure how accurate the coaches trigger finger is on the stopwatch. I don't think I was really 10.5 material at the end.

------------------------
    6500 Yards

In one workout, I made my FLOG happy! Yesterday it was cussing at me!!

Congratulations! You are on pace for achieving your goal this year:
    My goal pace: 2.74 miles required as of today to reach my goal by the end of the event
    My actual current pace: 3.69 miles as of today
  15. Thursday, December 29th, 2011 5:00am & 6:00pm

by , December 29th, 2011 at 10:51 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Morning workout:

Warmup
    400 Free
    200 Kick w/ board
    400 IM Drill

Main
    4 x 50 Kick w/ board @ 1:00
    4 x 75 Fly @ 1:20 (:53ish)
    4 x 75 Fly @ 1:15 (:53-:55s)
    4 x 75 Fly @ 1:10 (:55s)
    4 x 75 FREE @ :55 (:52s) <--These were pretty tough after all the fly

100 EZ

---------------------
    3100 Yards

========================

P.M. workout:

Warmup
    100 Free
    100 Kick w/ board
    200 Free Pull
    100 Free
    100 Kick w/ board
    200 Free Pull
    200 IM Drill

The public swim was insane tonight on the other half of the pool. During the last 200 IM of my warmup the population inside the pool increased by 20 or so people!! I saw the guards start counting heads in the pool to see if they were going to have to have 3 out of deck at a time. It was NUTS!! I'm glad I was by myself in the middle of 3 lap lanes!! Still wavy as hell!!

4 x 125 Free @ 1:40 (1:28-1:30s)

10 x 50 Kick w/ board @ 1:00

10 x 50 Free Pull @ :40 (:35s up to "make 'em")

---------------------
    2500 Yards

======================

Other good news (kind of): I got invited to swim with the high school boys at their Saturday practice this weekend. They're doing the 100x100s from 8am-11am. OH BOY...I'm just thrilled!! I'll do as much as I can, but my body's really only conditioned for 3000-3500 yards at a time, and then the happens!
  16. Wednesday, December 28, 2011 5:00am

by , December 28th, 2011 at 08:47 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    We had rain all night last night. Problem with that is that it cooled down to 32/33 this morning, and it was a bit slick out there on the roads going to practice and work. Not many in the pool this morning, just us crazy enough to skate on the ice.
    Now, it's actually warmed up a lot around here...currently it's 44 degrees at almost 6:00pm. We're supposed to be in the middle of winter here!! WTH??

Still taking it "easy" on my shoulder with no pulling/paddles.

Warmup:

200 Free
    200 Kick w/ board
    200 IM Drill
    200 Kick w/ board
    200 Free

16 x 75 @ 1:00 (every 3rd 75 was 50 Free/25 Fly)
    (went :53-:55s throughout)
    • for some reason fly doesn't hurt me, just the freestyle with paddles, and of course various forms of pushups and stuff (dang P90X).

6 x 50 Kick w/ board @ 1:00

100 EZ

----------------------
    2600 Yards
  17. Tuesday, December 27, 2011 5:00am

by , December 27th, 2011 at 07:57 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Shoulder is a little sore, and I'm not sure why, so the plan was to take it a little easier today, and no pulling with paddles either.

Warmup:
    200 Free
    100 Kick w/ board
    200 IM Drill

5 x 100 Flutter Kick w/ board @ 1:55 (1:45s)

6 x 100 Free @ 1:20 (1:10-1:12s)

6 x 50 Flutter Kick w/ board @ 1:00 (:53s)

2 x 300 Free @ 4:00 (3:35s)

6 x 50 Flutter Kick w/ board @ 1:00 (:53s)

Talking with my lanemate for about 10 minutes about the holidays and stuff, then off to work.

--------------------
    2800 Yards
  18. Monday, December 26, 2011 5:00pm 2nd swim

by , December 26th, 2011 at 10:38 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Warmup:

200 Free
    100 Kick w/ board
    200 Free Pull
    200 IM Drill
    100 Kick w/ board
    200 Free Pull

16 x 25 w/ Speedo Biofuse fins
    Odds - underwater SDK (1 breath) @ :30
    Evens - Fly fast (after SDK halfway) @ :40

100 Kick w/ board

12 x 100 Free @ varying interval pattern
    • went straight thru the rotation (no breaks)
    • 1:30, 1:25, 1:20, 1:15
    • 1:25, 1:20, 1:15, 1:10
    • 1:20, 1:15, 1:10, 1:05
    The 1:10s were a little tough, and I had to really suck it up to make the 1:05, came in right at 1:05 on the last one.

100 EZ and out
    ----------------------
    2800 Yards

+3900 Yards from the a.m.
    ===========
    6700 Yards for the day
  19. Monday, December 26, 2011 7:00am

by , December 26th, 2011 at 12:41 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Late 12 Days of Christmas workout

12 x 50 Free @ :45
    11 x 50 Free Pull @ :42.5
    10 x 50 Flutter Kick w/ board @ :55
    9 x 50 Free @ :40
    For the remainder of workout, I stayed on interval till the end:
    8 x 50 Fly @ :55
    7 x 50 Back @ :55
    6 x 50 Breast @ :55
    5 x 50 Free @ :45
    4 x 50 Fly @ :50
    3 x 50 Back @ :50
    2 x 50 Breast @ :50
    1 x 50 Free

-------------------------
    3900 Yards

Even though this was all 50s, both the yardage and the residual pain add up by the end of it.

I've been kinda lazy ever since I hit the 500 mile mark last week. I need to get back into the aggressive stuff again. I have a 1650 to race in a few weeks.
  20. Thurs. & Fri, December 22-23, 2011 5:00pm

by , December 23rd, 2011 at 10:23 PM (Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!)
    Thursday workout:

As I got to the pool, the usual "waterpolo crew" was there, and I thought WTH...lets play polo today.

500 Free warmup,
    then off to the deep tank.

It's a 12 yard square tank that is 10-12 feet deep, attached to the side of the 6 lane lap pool area, but separated by a solid wall bulkhead.
    We played about 45 minutes playing two vs. three. I was on the team with 2 people, and it was tough. We made a rule that you had to have 3 passes within a team before a shot could be taken, just so it wouldn't be an all out score-fest. We basically tied, and it was all good fun. Nice to get away from the back and forth stuff like normal.

After the game went back to stretch out:
    300 Free Pull
    The polo guys wanted to see me swim like Michael Phelps (that's what they called me)
    1 x 50 Fly fast from push (went :28)
    then :30 later I raced my waterpolo teammate in a
    1 x 50 Breast fast from push (went :37)
    100 EZ and out
    ----------------------
    1000 Yards of swimming + 45 minutes of waterpolo swimming

==============================

Friday workout

I saw that JBS did this workout today, and remember Aquageek mentioning it a while back too.
    I figured I'd give it a shot...it can't be that hard, right?

Yeah right!! <-- This was my though about 2/3 of the way through it.

30 x 100s Free @ 2:01
    • start the 1st one @ :30 on the pace clock
    • goal is to complete each 100 at or before the :60
    • so the 1st one you have to go 1:30 or faster, the 5th one is 1:25 or faster, etc.
    • depending on how fast you're going, you get between :50-1:00 or so of rest on each one
    • the key to this is maintaining a fast enough pace near the beginning so that your body can keep doing that near the end, rather than trying to drop to a fast pace all of a sudden
    The first 5 I did as a warmup, holding around 1:10-1:12s

The next 5 I did pull, just to add a little power to my stroke and get my pace set up a bit faster (holding 1:02-1:04s here)

The next 10 I held 1:02-1:03s, but near the end of this I started thinking how tough this was getting. Tough really?? I'm on the 2:01 interval after all. It's the fact of the "try to come in prior to the :60" that makes this set tough, in addition to the ever-increasing yardage along the way.

The next 5 (#21-25) I was holding 1:03s, and the pain was increasing in my body. Trying to decrease my heartrate and breathing during my near minute of rest was getting tough. Taking small sips of water too.

The next 3...holy . I went 1:03, 1:02, 1:02 (came in @ :59 on pace clock)

#29 left @ :58, went a 1:01...still made it. Last one coming up.
    #30 left @ :59, good streamline...lots of kick, just went for it... LOTS OF PAIN here. Ended up coming in right on the :60 for a 1:01 on the final 100.

I was flat out exhausted. This set didn't look that hard on paper, but I found out just how hard it really was. IMO, I think this is harder to do than the 30 x 100s @ 1:10 type of set. It works a completely different energy system. I haven't done a set like this ever in masters, and it was definitly a kick in the ass.
    Very good set Geek!! Thank you!!

Cooled down with 4 x 50 of Free Pull EZ

------------------------
    3200 Yards

==============================

Also learned a new drill tonight from one of the age group swim coaches who was doing some private lessons tonight.
    It is Dolphin kicking with the palms of your hands "riding the tile" of the black line on the bottom of your lane.
    basically it's the same as SDKing, but you have to focus on keeping your hands flat on the tile bottom, and it makes you engage your core in a whole new way. Try to do 25s at a time without a breath for the full effect. It also probably works best in a pool that is fairly shallow and maintains depth the whole way. Give it a shot. I liked it.

Merry Christmas everyone...no swimming for me till Monday.