Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Happy belated Birthday Eric!

Your plain water a couple hours in advance of the workout might be counter productive if you are trying to avoid cramping. Maybe add some potato chips, a banana or electrolyte mix in addition to your water to keep from depleting peeing out your cramp preventers.
    Well that should have been obvious (insert sound of forehead slap)! Duly noted, thanks.

Congrats on moving up.
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Oh yeah...happy birthday!, even though I'm a little late.
    Thanks!

I'm dealing with cramping issues as well in my swim workouts with the age group team. We do a whole lot more kicking than I've been used to, and it seems that lately we're doing a longer kick w/ fins set at about the 1 1/2 hour point of the workout. That gets me every time, no matter how easy I try to kick. I'm plenty hydrated as well, and it still happens. I'm hoping that over time my body will adapt, but we'll just have to see.
    I kick with fins all the time in the workouts I write for myself and that doesn't usually bother me so much, but kicking with the mono fin gets me almost every time.

The worst situation for me is swimming sets with lots of rest, anything more than about :30 seconds and I have to be really conscious to stretch and massage my calves/feet.

I am also hoping that my body will adapt over time, we'll have to compare notes
    Happy belated Birthday Eric!

Your plain water a couple hours in advance of the workout might be counter productive if you are trying to avoid cramping. Maybe add some potato chips, a banana or electrolyte mix in addition to your water to keep from depleting peeing out your cramp preventers.

Congrats on moving up.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    Bappy hirthday!
    Thank you very much!
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Happy Birthday!
    Thank you!

Since no one else said it, I will... was this 100 yards per year? You know that's the standard for masters?
    I am 52 so it wasn't quite 100 yards/year, but I didn't write the workout. I think I will do the compulsory 52 x 100 set this weekend.

I go through phases with cramping. It hasn't been nearly as bad since I hardly run anymore. It is definitely worse when it is warmer, but I'll have random cramps even in winter. Last night my right foot started to cramp during workout, I have no idea why.
    I go through phases too. They were really awful when I was first getting into shape last winter, then they gradually went away by the beginning of the summer. I think it is at least partially due to stress and I have been swimming longer and harder since I changed groups the other week so I hope that this too will pass.
    Oh yeah...happy birthday!, even though I'm a little late.
    I'm dealing with cramping issues as well in my swim workouts with the age group team. We do a whole lot more kicking than I've been used to, and it seems that lately we're doing a longer kick w/ fins set at about the 1 1/2 hour point of the workout. That gets me every time, no matter how easy I try to kick. I'm plenty hydrated as well, and it still happens. I'm hoping that over time my body will adapt, but we'll just have to see.
    Bappy hirthday!
    Happy Birthday! Since no one else said it, I will... was this 100 yards per year? You know that's the standard for masters?

I go through phases with cramping. It hasn't been nearly as bad since I hardly run anymore. It is definitely worse when it is warmer, but I'll have random cramps even in winter. Last night my right foot started to cramp during workout, I have no idea why.
    Happy birthday! Very cool to celebrate by moving down to new interval, and rocking it!
    Thank you Janet!
    Happy birthday! Very cool to celebrate by moving down to new interval, and rocking it!
    Ha, 52 years and I never knew the origin story of my sign. Interesting mythology, I should have looked it up years ago.

Thanks for the info and the good wishes Bill!
    Happy Birthday from another Virgoan, and congrats on movin up. Will be interested to hear how the increased hydration works for you.

Not that i think or care much for astrology, but in case you didn't know Virgo's greek mythological origin, it seems a little red or white would be good with your cake:

Virgo held strong connections with the time that grapes were gathered for the production of wine and Erigone represents an aspect of this association. She was the daughter of [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icarius"]Icarius[/ame], who received the secret of wine making from the Wine God, [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dionysus"]Dionysus[/ame], and was murdered by peasants who believed they had been poisoned by his wine. Erigone was led to discover his body by their faithful dog and hanged herself in grief. The gods were moved to pity over the tragedy and transported the family to everlasting glory in the heavens: Icarius became Bo÷tes, Erigone became Virgo, and the dog Maera, the constellation [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canis_Minor"]Canis Minor[/ame]. [Wiki]
    I've had some of the same problems with episodes of calf and hamstring cramps and concluded that the episodes were related to what other excersie i was (or perhaps wasn't) doing with my legs (weights, cycling, running). I haven't really figured out what is causal and what isn't. Also, driving off walls and use of fins sometimes seems to correlate with cramps. Usually i can kick the intensity down a notch, relax and swim through them, but sometimes i've had to stop. Typically a bout of cramps may last a few days but then retreats and im ok, which is why i think it's originating from something else i did before swimming and the stretchiness in swimming just sets it off.

As you and Fort both mentioned, i throw Hammer of GU electrolyte tabs (and gel) into my water bottle especially when i spin before swimming and this has helped some, but not completely.
    Did you ever get your electrolytes tested?
    I did, but that was four months ago so I should probably do it again.

I think I told you I was low on magnesium, potassium and sodium. Now, I get cramps less often, and I know they're probably from exertion. I also try to throw an emergen-C electrolyte package into my regular water during the day.

Are you stretching the calves and feet?
    I do stretch my feet and calves, but usually only just before workout so I should probably do it more often. Good idea about the Emergen-C, I will give that a try too.
    Did you ever get your electrolytes tested? I think I told you I was low on magnesium, potassium and sodium. Now, I get cramps less often, and I know they're probably from exertion. I also try to throw an emergen-C electrolyte package into my regular water during the day.

Are you stretching the calves and feet?
    Great school and City, Eric. I'm sure she'll love it. Know you have family in the area too, just in case.
    My daughter is around for another three weeks (Drexel is on a quarters system). She is bummed that everyone else has left for school and she is still waiting...
    Hang in there! I remember last year when Fort Son left ... ugh, miserable for days. But you do adjust, and she will go on to do great things.
    Good tip on the body glide. My last MF session had a similar result.
    I purposely didn't go far because I didn't know if it would help, but my feet weren't tender at all so will up the yardage next time and see how it goes.
    Good tip on the body glide. My last MF session had a similar result.
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast