View RSS Feed

Swim Workouts

1. End of summer OWSwims

by , September 1st, 2014 at 05:23 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I haven't been blogging but have managed to get in some nice swims over the past two weeks...

Went to CT for a couple of nights with the family to cap the end of the summer, staying in a cottage on the CT river in the town of Chester. We were able to spend some time in Westbrook and I was able to spend a little over 20 minutes on 8/21 in these rollers for a total of 0.66 miles:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On 8/26 I met up with GregJS and Meg from our Masters team at Lake Raponda for a easy mile as the sun began to lower after a warm and humid day. So refreshing!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On 8/30 I joined Meg and Greg at Woodford State Park for a brisk morning swim. It is a beautiful park with cold water that is very dark, almost as if one is swimming through tea. The wind was strong but the sun helped to keep us warm en route to our 3/4 mile swim in just over 30 minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The pool will reopen tomorrow, but I most likely won't get back before next week. NEM SCM Champs at BU will be Dec 12-14, so I have some time to get prepared

Classes at the Bible college started last week, and I will make it this week (because of work). Looking forward to a profitable semester.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Open Water
  2. Workout 08/15/14: evening

by , August 15th, 2014 at 10:32 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Went for a run last night after work and was greeted by rain about 5 minutes in. At least my sneaks are clean now

Spent the day at home working on some small projects and spending time with the family. Made it to the pool before dinner tonight and joined the masses as the Rec is closed tomorrow due to Bennington Battle Day this weekend.

150 Fr/150 Bk/200 IM drill/200 mix
    3 x (100 kick into 200 Pull)
    4 x 50 on traffic (25 easy free into 25 fast IMO)
    200 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2000 yds/40 min)
    --------------------------------

Off for the weekend, with some fun outings planned.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Workout 08/12/14: evening

by , August 12th, 2014 at 10:01 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Well, it's been almost a week since my last swim. I have gotten in 2 two miles runs in the meantime. I have been able to set up some OW swims for the team in the area for the end of the month with the pool being closed for maintenance. Got in tonight for Masters, with inspiration from a Kiefer workout:

200 Free/200 Back/100 kick/200 pull
    4 x 50 Fr even split on :50

2 x 225 on 3:30 (100 DPS, 100 Build, :05 rest, 25 sprint)
    4 x 50 on :55 (decrease stroke count 1->4) 29,27,25,24
    2 x 200 on 3:15 (did IM)
    100 easy kick
    2 x 125 on 1:55 (50 DPS, 50 build, :05 rest, 25 sprint)
    8 x 50 on :50 (alt pull and kick by 50)

100 skull
    200 loosen and out
    (Masters/Rec/3000 yds/65 min)
    -------------------------------------
    Small turn out tonight as many of our swimmers have had or are about to enter into tri competitions. I am looking forward to some more folks joining us for some lake swims.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Workout 08/06/14: OW

by , August 6th, 2014 at 09:30 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Met up with Brent for a drive to NY's Queechy Lake with our Berkshire buddies. The day was warm but nice, and only Jonathan and Shawn (I think that was his name) made it. This is a favorite lake as the weeds are minimal, generally low traffic on the water and water is clear. Tonight did not disappoint even for our small group. The water was not too cold but just plain refreshing. We swam a large rectangle around the lake as usually and ended up with 1.15 miles in just under 40 minutes. While driving back to Brent's work to drop him off we ran into GregJS on his way to the theater - a quick and fun meeting!

Tags: berkshires
    Categories
  5. Workout 08/01/14: noon

by , August 1st, 2014 at 09:17 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Quick workout today before lunch:

200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill/4 x 25 build

4 x (50 kick into 100 pull with buoy)

4 x 125 (25 kick, 75 im rotate, 25 pull)

300 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2100 yds/45 min)

Busy adult swim today, so I was pretty much went with traffic. Next splash will likely be Monday. I did get in a two mile run Wednesday night, so I've settled into 2 miles twice a week.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Workout 07/26/14: morning

by , July 26th, 2014 at 09:20 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I've been having a blast with my brother and his family, and was able to convince him to join me at the pool this morning for masters practice. He was the distance/IM force to beat here in VT in the early 90's then UMass for college, but I suspect he hasn't been in the pool in at least eight years. My wife also splashed in and did mostly her own thing but on our intervals....

200 swim/100 kick/100 pull
    4 x 25 stroke work
    2 x 200 on 4:00 neg split
    400 fr breathe 3/4/5/6 by 25
    3 x 100 on 2:10 even split
    300 swim/pull, breathing only to the west wall of the pool
    8 x 50 on 1:10 (descend 1-4, 5-8)
    200 loosen and out
    (Masters/Rec/2500 yds/65 min)
    ------------------------------------

Bry and Greg joined me in doing the whole workout! Rebecca missed a little warmup, but was swimming after we left. Nadine was in for half the practice and then Kevin came in for a bit. Lena also swam for an hour, her longest workout yet! I am so proud of her.

We hung out and grabbed some pizza for lunch before the grand reunion party this evening. It was great to see relatives young and old from near and far. A great treat was the ability for us to head back to our childhood home and walk through it, sharing it with our families. My crew remembers living the house because they were wee ones when we moved from the apartment out back, but the their cousins had never seen it. Here is a picture of the barns that my dad and his dad before him ran, wonderfully restored by my father's cousin and his wife:

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Workout 07/23/14: morning

by , July 23rd, 2014 at 07:56 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I ran 2 miles last night after work, a hot and muggy 20 minutes. A quick swim this morning at the Rec, and it was packed. I did 1200yds in about 20 min. My oldest brother and family are visiting from Washington State, so I'll be spending a good bit of time with them over the next week. Big extended family reunion this Saturday.
    Not sure how much swimming I'll be getting in.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Workout 07/20/14: OW

by , July 20th, 2014 at 09:30 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    It was overcast this morning for our planned swim at Lake Paran, so my only companions in the water was this gaggle of ducks. I swam for about 20 minutes, enjoying the cloud cover blanketing the surrounding hills and the fun sparrows flying overhead. An rather large trout (which are stocked in this lake) darted right underneath me. A fun 0.45 mile stretch-out swim after yesterdays meet.

Categories
  9. Workout 07/18/14: noon

by , July 18th, 2014 at 02:41 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Quick dip today, meet warm up of 1400 yards + a fast 50 back (~:30). Feeling pretty good ahead of the meet tomorrow.

Last night was the Midnight Madness event in our town, with the shops closing up around 4pm, then reopening from 7-12 with great sales, plus vendors on the sidewalks and specials at the local restaurants [pictures here: http://goo.gl/sQNr19]. After work, I met with my son at the chippie in our town for supper, then my wife for a little shopping before heading to a booth set up by my boss that highlighted deer ticks and lyme disease. They were very busy in the early evening with lots of questions, but as night fell the families went home and the tomfoolerly picked up. After the cops broke up something a bit down the street, my boss decided it was time to pack things up around 9:45. I then went with my daughter to get some new running sneakers and some shoes for work.

It's a fun time, although when I was a kid the streets would be closed off but some poor behavior has kept the streets open to traffic. We used to be able to go to the CB Sports factory for great deals on winter coats/snowpants, and while some of those opportunities have ceased it is still a wonderful community event.

Greg, you ready for tomorrow's 400 Free ???

Updated July 18th, 2014 at 03:00 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Workout 07/15/14: noon

by , July 15th, 2014 at 05:25 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Masters practice was canceled tonight due to an away age-group meet being moved to our pool due to weather concerns, so I emailed the group last night and went for a swim at lunch time after running some errands.

200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill/200 kick-drill

4 x
    - 25 b/c fr into 25 stroke IMO easy (then 100 easy)
    - 25 stroke IMO fast into easy free (then 100 easy)

- 50 Fast Fr

200 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/1650 yds/40 min)
    ----------------------------------

Good workout. I am feeling slow in the water, but still very much ready for the meet this weekend. I am planning to carpool with GregJS, and we discussed details at the pool this afternoon. We went in on a Keifer order and I was able to get some good deals on a USMS sweatshirt and caps, as well as a new endurance square-leg suit.

Finishing organizing/honey-do-list's now before supper, then I'll get ready for a couple of days at work followed by a quick swim on Friday.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Workout 07/14/14: evening

by , July 14th, 2014 at 08:07 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    After a busy weekend of work and then activities at church, I was happy to get out of work early today and rest a bit at home before a swim this evening. The pool was a bit crowded so I was not able to get in what I had planned, but I was able to do ...

200 Fr/200 IM drill
    200 kick

2 x
    - 4 x (3 x 25 on traffic:, as sprint, sprint, easy, the 2 fast IMO)
    - 200 Pull with buoy fast

200 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/1800 yds/40 min)

I was able to get a 2 mile jog in on Saturday night, and I have been a little sore from the open water adventures last week. I'm looking forward to the Baystate Games this coming weekend at Springfield College in Mass. I am signed up for just Saturday, doing:
    400 Free
    400 IM
    100 Back
    50 Free

Out to be an interesting day, befitting my first ever LCM meet. I haven't been very consistent with training over the past few months (and haven't been in a long course pool since last summer), but I am looking forward to the challenge of LCM! The 400 free swims around noon, and then the rest of the meet starts at 4:30 - I plan to use the 400 IM as an extended cooldown/warmup before the 100 back.

Edit: found the psyche sheets here.

Updated July 14th, 2014 at 08:34 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Planning
  12. Workout 07/10/14: OW evening

by , July 10th, 2014 at 10:33 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Wow, back to back OW dips! After last night's most excellent adventure in the Berkshires, I met with Greg and Melissa at Lake Paran closer to home. The water was in the low 70 's with some very refreshing cold spots. We did two loops near the boat launch on the south side of the lake before Melissa headed home, then Greg and I investigated the weeds in the middle. I logged 1.15 relaxed miles in just over 50 minutes.

Updated July 10th, 2014 at 10:58 PM by rxleakem

Categories
  13. Workout 07/09/14: OW evening

by , July 9th, 2014 at 10:18 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    With storm clouds rolling into town, I headed south to the Berkshires of Massachusetts to join the Simon's Rock crew for a Wednesday evening open water swim (my first). I picked up my buddy Brent in Williamstown and we car pooled down to meet up with the crew. Instead of a swim from the public boat launch on the southern part of Goose Pond we journeyed to the northern end of the Lake for what was dubbed an epic swim, which did not disappoint.

(Looking east along the north end of Goose Pond. The canal is along the northern edge of the lake)

The water was rough in the main lake, with small whitecaps forming and strongly pushing us towards the opening of the canal. Goose spills into a protected reserve called Upper Goose Pond, which is actually on the Application Trail route in the area and is totally undeveloped. Swimming through the canal was indeed a treat, made possible due to some heavy storms over the past few days. The trees formed a strong canopy over the passage, and I kept feeling like I was moving through a scene from an Indian Jones movie! Goose is pretty deep, but the canal was quite shallow in places and full of some wonderful rocks and schools of fish to follow.

(Here is Todd coming through the winding passage)

The view from the other side, into Upper Goose Pond, was absolutely stunning and the water was transformed from a rough swell to near placid conditions. The sun was starting to lower as we headed out to explore the small island and take a short break before heading back through the canal to our launch beach.

(The pod of swimmers, nine in total, as we headed away from the mouth of the canal to the island right of center with our safe swimmer buoys in tow)

We swam into the sun the whole way back, and once we returned to Goose Pond after the canal the churning water met us along with the wind. It was a tough swim back but we were able to sight off a lone tall tree on the northern edge of the lake.

The conditions (despite the wind) were most ideal for a swim, with the water in the upper 60's and the air in the upper 70's. Our track shows a 1.77 mile jaunt in total, and the storms affected my area did not materialize during our swim. Besides the tremendous beauty of the area and the great fellowship with the swimmers there, the previous few times this particular path for this swim has been aborted due to the summertime storms that seem to flare up so quickly. I was so excited to be able to join in this adventure!
    Tags: berkshires
    Categories
  14. Workout 07/06/14: morning OWS

by , July 6th, 2014 at 12:26 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Headed to Lake Paran again this morning for a swim and I invited the team along. Kevin came, but did not stay for very long. I stayed in for about 30 minutes, logging 0.7 miles in the increasingly weedy 68 degree water. Here is a picture I snapped before heading back to the car:

Categories
  15. Workout 07/05/14: morning

by , July 5th, 2014 at 06:52 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Our Fourth of July festivities were washed out yesterday, including my swim at a local lake. No worries, I was able to catch up on some preparation for this weekend's church activities, as I will be leading the service at a local nursing home around 2:30pm (still walking through the miracles of Jesus) and then with the church plant at 6:00 (looking at the book of Philippians). Our town's fireworks have been moved to Sunday night, so that will be a nice way to end the day.

Had a great workout planned for Masters today, with some main sets from SJBlack:

200 swim/100 kick/200 pull
    4 x 25 drill

6 x 75 on 1:40 with fast middle 25)
    - I did 2x (50 fly/25 bk, 50 bk/25 br, 50 br/25 fr)

400 pull (breathe 3/5/5/3 by 25) <- I did 500
    100 kick <- I did 150

6 x 50 on 1:05
    - I did 2x (fly/bk, bk/br, br/fr)

100 kick <- I did 150
    200 pull (only breathe to the western wall) <-- I did 300

6 x 25 on :40 (I did all fast, IMO but no freestyle)

200 loosen and out
    (Masters/Rec/2800 yds/90 min)

We had a good mix of swimmers today and a great time. I have been trying to add in more stroke work with the 400 lcm IM coming up in two week. Tomorrow morning I will be swimming at Lake Paran and invited anyone interested to come and join me.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Workout 07/01/14: evening

by , July 1st, 2014 at 09:43 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Took it easy last week and ended up going for a run after church on Sunday evening, making it a tad over one mile without stopping. For not having run since Thanksgiving, I was pleased.

It was a very hot and humid day here in Vermont, so I took it easy during my day off. After grilling supper, I headed to Masters practice with our new expanded Tuesday time slot for the summer - 90 min! Found this Off the Beaten Path ...

I got in 200 before we started.
    200 swim/100 kick/100 pull
    4 x 25 Build

3 x
    - 200 Pull on :30sr (2:30 with snorkel, 2:21 with AP, 2:25)
    - 4 x 50 swim on :20sr (did IMO)
    - 4 x 25 swim on :10 (did IMO)
    - Masters Minute rest

6 x 50 on 1:15 (fast under the flags; I did IM transitions)
    (I did 4 x 75 k/s/p on 1:15)
    200 loosen and out
    (Masters/Rec/3000 yds/80 min)
    A good workout, and we were joined by a new swimmer, Jennifer. It's nice to have the extra 30 minutes and I am trying to spread the word so that our numbers will support the extra time.

I ended up signing up for the Baystate Games in a few weeks at Springfield College MA). My first ever LCM meet! I will only be going for one day and plan to swim 400 Fr, 400 IM, 100 back, 50 free. GregJS is also swimming, so we'll be able to root each other on.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Planning
  17. Workout 06/26/14: morning

by , June 26th, 2014 at 04:10 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Well, our second and final exchange student has returned home, safely arriving this morning after taking off yesterday morning. It's quiet around the house now.

We visited our pastor in the hospital yesterday after our run to the airport. He was due to have surgery last week, but ran into some complications and that has been called off. Pete should be at home for a couple of weeks before gall bladder surgery. Until then, I'll be helping out more activities within the ministry (preaching on Sunday services and helping with the kids program on Friday nights). We went to a BBQ and bluegrass concert last night put on by a missions team from NC, complete with red slaw. Good times. Quick swim this morning before a busy day:

- 200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill
    - 400 shark swim
    - 200 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/1200 yds/20 min)
    ---------------------------------

Yeah, a quick swim. Had a drug task force meeting at 9, then went to the school to help the NC team with VBS today with my son (he helped with sports and I worked with a kindergarten class); they are heading home tomorrow.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Workout 06/21/14: morning

by , June 21st, 2014 at 04:02 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I had a restful nights sleep, thanks to some cooler temps and delightful evenings of late. Used some sets from a kiefer.com workout with the group today:

200 swim/100 kick/200 pull
    4 x 25 build (choice)

300 Pull (every 4th lap FAST)
    4 x 75 on :20sr (25 mod/25 FAST/25 mod)
    4 x 50 on :20sr (focus: streamline, 2 hard strokes, cruise)
    400 swim (peek halfway, neg. split) <- did IM (5:44)

2 x 30 second Vert Kick into 25 sprint then 25 easy back
    12 x 25 on :30 (odds = easy, evens = fast)

200 loosen and out
    (Masters/Rec/2400 yds/75 min)

Nice practice today with Greg, Kevin, Rebecca, and a new face - Sheryl. She is a twice a week early morning swimmer that Rebecca recruited to practice with the team - I am very impressed with her as she did half of the sets above and did a great job!

I got home and headed to Applegate for their community day. The VT Baptists have a huge bouncy house, popcorn and snow-cone machines, cornhole-type games, and other "festival" things that can be rented out for events like this. With my pastor in the hospital, it fell to Herb and his crew to set everything up, so I helped to eat some food, man the popcorn machine, traffic control in the bouncy house, then the take-down crew. Another beautiful day and a great time to help add some fun to the celebration there, and we left man arrived with a horse to give the kids a ride.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Workout 06/20/14

by , June 20th, 2014 at 11:35 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Completed my Lochte-esque drylands this morning - moving the pellets from the driveway, down some tables into the basement, then restacking all 4 tons. This year with the three girls and my son, we did it all in about an hour. 200 x 40# bags - I was in the basement lifting each bag and tossing to Preston to straighten out on the pile - my hammies are squeaking now :/

After getting cleaned up I took the crew to the local diner, the Blue Benn, for breakfast. I forgot how great the food is, and the large portions for a very fair price. I had the garden scramble with toast and homefries and was full all day.

In at noon for an easy swim:

200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill

kick swim pull with snorkel (used AP with swim and buoy with pull)
    050 100 200
    100 150 300
    050 100 200

4 x 75 on 1:15 (kick, IMO fast, pull

200 easy and out
    (Solo/Rec/2350 yards/50 min)
    -----------------------------------

Spent the afternoon helping my daughter clean the inside and out of her car; a nice time together and her car looks great. I think the battery on my motorcycle needs to be replaced, as it is not holding a charge when I take it off the trickle charger (it's at least six years old, so probably due).

Busy day tomorrow: after practice in the morning, I'll represent my church at a community day in town (bouncy house, popcorn/snow cones/horse rides) until 4, then off to the high school track for the Relay for Life. Sunday is looking a bit less rushed, although I will be preaching at church because our pastor needs gall bladder surgery on Monday and has been in the hospital since Wednesday. My first time leading the service, and I'm following his message from last week about being a hearer and doer of the Word with some observations from Paul in Philippians 4:8-9. Now to get a key to open the front door!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , NSR
  20. Workout 06/17/14: evening

by , June 17th, 2014 at 09:18 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Missed swimming last night, but did make it to men's group and then an organizational meeting about a new men's ministry coming this fall to the community. This morning I helped out some more at the college and we took a drive to Manchester to try the Mexican restaurant and visit the bookstore. A nice trip on a beautiful June day

Masters tonight (used a main set from sjblack's online workout:

200 Swim/100 kick/200 pull

3 x
    100 EZ
    100 Moderate
    100 Fast (aim for same time)

100 EZ
    10 x 50 Pull on :60 (breathe 3 down, 5 back)

25 ez/50 sprint/25 ez, then 200 loosen and out
    (Masters/Rec/2300 yds/55 min)
    -----------------------------------

A nice workout for a quiet night in the pool, as only GregJS and Renee were there.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast