View RSS Feed

Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

1. Workout 02/24/14: evening

by , February 24th, 2014 at 09:36 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Back in the water for the first time since Thursday. I thought it would be a good idea since I have a meet this weekend

200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill
    2 x 100 kick
    8 x 50 FR on 1:05
    1 x 50 ez
    8 x 50 Bk on 1:10
    1 x 50 ez
    6 x 75, done as:
    - 2 FR (on 1:15, 1:45; held :50)
    - 2 Bk (on 1:20, 1:40; held :54)
    - 2 IM (on 1:20, 1:40)
    6 x 25 on 1:00 drag race from mid pool (2 fr/bk/fly)
    4 x 50 on 1:20 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2500 yds/60 min)
    ----------------------------

My legs are pretty beat from the hiking adventure last week, which you can read about here if you would like to (and see some pictures).

My rough plan is to swim tomorrow with Masters, and maybe Wednesday and Friday morning as easy stuff. Friday I am off to Mt. Snow for the day (nothing like pounding the legs!), then I'll do stroke work and an easy workout with Masters on Saturday before heading to the meet. I am swimming: 200 Back, 50 Fly, 50 Free, and 100 Free; aiming for a good time in the back and seeing what I can muster in the 100 after those sprints.

Updated February 25th, 2014 at 08:51 AM by rxleakem

Tags: hiking
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Planning
  2. Workout 10/26/13: morning

by , October 27th, 2013 at 10:36 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Got to sleep oin then headed to the pool armed with jbs's scm main set to try out:

200 swim/300 kick-pull by 50/4 x 25 b/c on :15sr

100 easy
    5x100 on 1:40 (I did 125's - held 1:36)
    200 easy (225)
    4x100 on 1:45 (125's - held 1:31)
    300 easy
    3x100 on 1:50 (125's - held 1:26)
    200 easy (225)
    1 x 100 AFAP (did 1:21, then 25 easy)

GregJS left here, I continued with 900 yds IG (150 segments) then out
    (Masters/Rec/4050yds/85 min)
    ------------------------------------

Great workout! I used jbs's scm times for our guys and did 125 instead. We're going to try this flipped around next month sometime just to see how it feels.

Went to a funeral for my friend, a gentleman in his 90's that I have mentioned was a great mentor to me. His favorite verse is Isaiah 41:10 - good to keep in mind.

After that I mowed the lawn then tiled for a few hours at the school.

This morning I helped my brother again at registration for the cyclocross race here in town that he helps to organize. Here is a video of clips:
    BORKED

Then off to church in the morning, a 3.8 mile run in afternoon, church at night and now I'm off to bed!
  3. Workout 09/29/13: morning

by , September 28th, 2013 at 11:22 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Missed a run yesterday, and was able to enjoy sleeping in a bit today and making pancakes with the kids before heading to Masters practice. Greg and Kevin where there, and Gail joined us for a bit doing her own thing.

4 x 100 on :20sr
    4 x 50 kick on :20 sr
    4 x 50 pull with buoy on :20sr

Main set:
    - 2 x 200 on :20sr (50 no-free) - I did 250s
    - 4 x 100 on :20sr (last 25 FAST) - I did 125s
    - 1 x 400 (long and strong) - I did 500
    - 4 x 100 on :20sr (even pace) - I did 5 on 1:25, went 1:04 on the last one

12 x 25 on :40 (I worked uSDK on odds)
    200 loosen and out
    (Masters/Rec/3300 yds/65 min)
    ----------------------------------

Good practice, with a main set style that the guys like. They were happy not to be staring down 50 x 25's again to finish off the set!

After practice I jogged over to meet my wife at our friend's house. I didn't end up running yesterday, so took the opportunity to sneak one in today. They are heading down to Victoria, Virginia, so I think some pool tourism might happen when we venture down that way. I jogged home, completing a 1.8 mile loop in about 17 minutes.

We gathered up the kids and went apple picking, a neat adventure to share with the exchange kids during a spectacular day! After supper I got a small campfire going and we had smores, with my mother-in-law joining us. After a dip in the hot tub I'm ready to crash!
  4. Workout 09/20/13: morning

by , September 20th, 2013 at 11:17 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    200 Fr/200 IM drill
    200 Shark Swim
    200 Loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/1000 yds
    ---------------------------------

Easy swim before work*today.* I ended up doing some more exercising after my swim yesterday - went for a*1.7mile*jog and biked 2.6 miles after my*1.7mileswim... That is perhaps as close to a*triathlon*as I'll ever get!* My legs aren't too trashed*today, and although my knees ached last night they are fine now.* I'm thinking of adding in some jogging a couple of times a week (mind you, I jog for two-three blocks, then walk for a couple at this point).* We'll see how long this insanity plays out* ...
  5. Workout 01/06/13:

by , January 6th, 2013 at 07:09 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Got in for a swim after church this morning:

200 FR/200 Bk warmup

Go three times through:
    - 100 kick, 100 w/ agility paddles, 100 w/ paddles and buoy, 100 hard
    - All on :10 seconds rest, with a Masters Minute between rounds
    - Did FR/FR/Bk by round (used snorkel on the FR, went 1:07 on the BK)

200 stroke loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/1800 yds/30 min)
    --------------------------------
    Had a full day and not a lot of time to swim, so this is what I did. Can't let the Flog get to far away this early on!

After the swim I went to one of the nursing homes in town and led the Sunday service, which I am blessed to do the first Sunday of every month. Good turn out, despite some flu-ish bugs floating through the nursing home.

When I got home, I packed my son up in the car and went to basketball with the guys. We played 4x4, three teams, over two hours. Our team lost all of the games, but I scored a few buckets and sweated up a storm. Next up, I need to buy some basketball shoes ...

Updated January 6th, 2013 at 07:38 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  6. Workout 01/05/13:

by , January 5th, 2013 at 09:34 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I finally had a chance to get into the water today. Since the turnout was not to much, I was able to swim a bit with the team:

150 fr
    3 x 50 Fr on :55
    4 x 50 kick on 1:15
    (break to talk with new swimmers)
    200 Fr, 100 Fr with snorkel

5 x ? on 2:00 (pick a distance)
    - did 150s with snorkel
    - 1 smooth, 2 build, 3-5 descend

4 times through:
    - Vertical kick x 30seconds, then 50 Fast

4 x 50 Active Recovery on 1:15
    --------------------------------
    (Masters/Rec/1950 yds/60 min)

Work has been busy, as our remodel continues and we actually move the pharmacy on Monday night. I was happy to sneak in a swim today with the group.

This afternoon, I went snowshoeing with a friend who had never used them before. It was supposed to new a short trek, but turned into over 4.5 miles! Ready for some

Updated January 5th, 2013 at 09:55 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  7. 10/29/12: NSR

by , October 29th, 2012 at 05:37 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Sandy has closed the pool today and tomorrow at the least, so no swimming for me for a bit.

I was able to help at the registration booth yesterday for the cyclocross race in Bennington. Remember that my brother (the biker and former swimmer) swam at our meet in April, so I (the never was biker) helped out at his event. Last year it snowed, so it was canceled. This year it was beautiful for a race - they had a total of twelve divisions (including the costume one lap race I did) and lots of people out to ride.

You can see that the my wave (I'm the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown) had a varied group - Lance came with his lawyer (and special feed), Jesus was following the young Men In Black fellow (both well ahead of Buddy the Elf and some dude in a tutu), and other little ones that had already taken off:

I might have taken a wrong turn, but I was busy have fun and not falling over ...

More photos from the event here.

Great time. I am thinking of doing the Cat 4/citizen men ride next year, but we shall see. I'd have to remove my bar ends for that to happen.
  8. Workout & Chelsea Piers (NY) passports to give away

by , October 3rd, 2012 at 05:23 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I have 4 passports to Chelsea Piers that expire 10/28/12. Bowling, ice skating, health pass, batting cage.

Any of you able to use these? Swimsuit Addict , gtpy03, Chaos, Quick? I 'won' them at a silent auction, but never made it to the city and would be happy to get them to someone that someone might know that could put them to use. Let me know

===============

Bench press: 10x65, 10x115, 5x125, 3x130
    Leg extensions: 10x30, 10x40, 10x40
    Back extensions: 3x10 with 5#plate

Got home and did 3x10 "_____" where you lie on the floor, put your hands up on the kitchen table, then pull up (kinda like a upside-down pushup). I know there is a name for this ...

Then cool-down with some mint chip ice cream in the hottub x 15min.

Updated October 3rd, 2012 at 09:38 PM by rxleakem (Add lifting info)

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , NSR
  9. Workout 09/23/12: Bball

by , September 23rd, 2012 at 10:52 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Well, true to form, I was better at dribbling than shooting, as evidenced by the foam from my mouth gently falling with the sweat onto my dry-wick tee-shirt!

Played four games over 95 minutes, with a five minute break between games. Haven't played since June, but I am in better running condition (as it were) than the last time I played after an extended break. I even scored 8 points on the night and had a couple of steals. Hopefully we'll keep getting together for games, which happen on Sunday evenings at the Christian School my son goes to. It is a "fun" alternative exercise for me and I enjoy spending the time with my son, who scored 12 points (but who is counting?)

Oh, here are the results from the first night of jelly making - all this from three rounds containing four cups (each) of straight grape juice, and a lot of sugar! I have enough juice made right now to cook up another 6+ batches, which should cap me off for the season. My wife is bartering grapes with one of her friends for farm-fresh eggs and pumpkins.

10. Workout 09/20/12: noon

by , September 20th, 2012 at 01:47 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Did some followed by a brief swim:

Rowing Machine: 15:07, 3529 meters
    (Note: they physically move under 1:55m/500 pace)
    Back extensions: 3 x 10 @ 0/5/10# per round
    Bench Press: 3 x 10 @ 65/95/105# per round
    Seated leg extensions: 3 x 10 @ 30/40/50# per round

After a quick talk with the director and auatics director of the Rec related to upcoming changes to the local Masters program as well as thoughts about the "new" pool, I gingerly hopped in and ...

Kick with board: 150yds flutter
    Kick w/o board: 150yds back
    Swim 300 yds long and strong
    (Solo/Rec/600yds/15 min)
    ------------------------------

Made the trip to Philly and back yesterday to drop Emma off to school at Drexel. Thankfully no major issues on the road or there - they actually had a very streamlined process for checking into the dorms (with street closures and free garage parking), so that was good. Left the house at 8am, got to Philly around 1pm, then left at 5 and got home around 11pm. Long day!

(Life, packed away before entering the dorm)

Was able to meet her roommates and also get all of her books as well as some odds and ends for the dorm room before a quick bite there. It was hard leaving her there, but I trust that this is where God wants her to be, and He has equipped her with all the tools to do good things there, both in the classroom and out. I am blessed with a tenderhearted young lady who is a lot more adventurous than me, and I am waiting to see all that she experiences there. It'll be different around here; lonely.

I was able to sleep in this morning, and after a quick breakfast headed out the vineyard to start the grape processing for the year. As you may recall, we have about 50 feet of Concord vines in the back yard, and I am the chief jelly maker in the house. My attempt at last year was not completely successful, partly due to not using enough grapes. We have a bumper crop again this year, and we are processing jelly/juice earlier than normal so I'll give the wine another shot after the jelly is done. It didn't help that I forgot about it in the basement and never took the must off.

Plan to get back into the water a bit later this evening for a good workout - I ate at Five Guys on the way home last night so I feel the need to work off some of that lumper of a supper I had (anyone have an extra Lipitor to send my way?).

(*This meal is approved by James Adams)
  11. Workout 09/05/12:

by , September 5th, 2012 at 08:11 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)

Rowing machine: 15:06, 3716 meters (better than I thought based on how I'm feeling)
    Dips:
    -2 x 3 x -50#
    -2 x 3 x -40#
    -4 x 3 x lug o' Leake
    Seated leg press: 1 x 10 each at 170#, 190#,210#
    Back extensions: 1 x 10 each at 0#, 5#, 10#
    Bench Press: 1 x 10 each at 65#, 95#, 115#
    ------------

It has been confirmed that pool will reopen on the 10th.
    Still trying to use the free transfer to one of the local gyms in order to save money - first time in the gym in a week and a half. No swim was set up down in the Berkshires tonight, but I might sneak one in with a kid I used to coach tomorrow on his stop through town to visit his folks.

Looking at the scale = +10# in the past month. Makes sense as I swam a total of 6 times and didn't really alter my eating habits enough with the reduced caloric burn. Pigging out at the fair on Sunday did not help matters, either.

Funny story: the gal at the reception desk asked if I was a rower on my way out. I told her I am a swimmer, so maybe I have an inclination to water sports in general.
  12. Workout 08/26/12:

by , August 26th, 2012 at 11:00 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Some more drylands for your viewing pleasure ...

- Rowing machine: 15:06, 3746 meters (highest total yet)
    -Seated leg press w/ calf point: 3 x 10 (170, 190, 210)
    - Back extenstions: 3 x 10 (did the last two sets holding 5# plate)
    - Dips: did 6 sets of 3
    -- 1 + 2: -50#
    -- 2 + 4: -40#
    -- 5 + 6: Unassited (first time ever)

Got home, mowed the lawn and cooked on the grill. I have 3 x5 sets pullups and 3 x 5 sets of chinups before hitting the hot tub. Now for the tennis ball torture before bed!

I have two more chances to swim at the Hoosick Falls outdoor pool before they close on Friday. The Rec Center looks to be coming along on schedule - should open after Labor Day. Wonder if I can get some cold water swimming in after they fill it up (and before they heat it)?

I also am thinking of that great Plymouth to P-Town swim that some of our brethren completed last week. Hmmm ...
  13. Workout 08/20/12:

by , August 20th, 2012 at 05:41 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Very short session of drylands this afternoon with my son:

Rowing machine: 15:08, 3703 meters

2 sets of 10 seated leg press with calf raise (170,190)
    2 sets of 10 bench press (65,115)
    2 sets of back extension thingys
    1 set of 6 cheatingdips(60)

Some foam rolling and tennis ball torture still to come.
    --------------

Quick workout as I picked up my new glasses and needed to get my daughter after work. Better then nothing. Off to Bible Study with the mens group in a bit.

Here is link to my Facebook album with pictures from the Bennington Battle Day Parade yesterday. We have some cool parades in my town.

Updated August 20th, 2012 at 09:55 PM by rxleakem

Categories
  14. Workout 08/17/12:

by , August 17th, 2012 at 09:28 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Back to the drylands tonight with my son:

Rowing machine: 15:06, 3613 meters

4 sets of 6 cheating dips (80,70,60,50)
    3 sets of 10 seated leg press with calf raise (150,170,190)
    3 sets of 10 bench press (45,95,105)

Some foam rolling and tennis ball torture still to come

------
    Tomorrow I am off to Lake Champlain, a little over three hours north from Bennington, to celebrate my aunt's 60th birthday party on Grand Isle. I am planning on getting a swim in while there, between burgers and water skiing (or sinking, as I usually just get pulled through the water as opposed to being on top of it).

The last member of the team was med-flighted out of Nairobi on Tuesday and is in an ICU in Charlottesville, VA. No word yet on what the exact cause of her seizures are (viral meningoencephalitis is being considered), but she was put on a ventilator so that she could receive some heavy duty meds to stop them. Still praying for her and her family ...

Here is a collage that my wife put together from their safari in the Masai Mara reserve. The rhinos were walking just three feet away from them (and my daughter tripped and fell into a pile of rhino poo!), and you can see the cheetah at the bottom (apparently some folks from National Geographic were filming and observing it as well).

15. Workout 08/12/12

by , August 12th, 2012 at 09:29 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    More drylands tonight ...

Rowing: 15:06, 3352 meters
    4 x 6 assisted dips
    3 x 10 seated leg press with calf raises

15min foam rolling at home
    ---------------------------------------

At least the brick wall is going up at the Rec.

Lena and Emma are home from their Kenya adventure. The two medical clinics went well, and my wife has a renewed passion to go back to school for nursing. One of the team members is still in a hospital in Nairobi, waiting to be transported back to the States (her parents are with her).

Here is a picture from the safari that my wife took:

Updated August 12th, 2012 at 09:47 PM by rxleakem

Categories
  16. Workout 08/06/12:

by , August 6th, 2012 at 09:29 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Well, I guess the following qualifies as drylands, so that is what I am calling it.

Modified aerobic deadlift/shoulder press:
    - 40# x 100 reps
    - 2 sets: each lasting ~ 30 minutes
    - 15 minutes between sets.

Can
    you
    guess
    what
    I
    did
    today?

Give
    up?

Today was the annual "move the pellets from the driveway to the basement through the bulkhead" day! This year we moved 4 tons total, or 200 x #40 bags, by setting up two folding tables as a ramp over the steps then using a large piece of cardboard that allowed the bags to slide over to the pallets. My son and a kid from the neighborhood manned the topside of the operation, taking turns sending the bags down to me. That meant that I had the fun job of picking up each bag from the ground and restacking them all. It worked really smoothly, and only had one blowout this year (as opposed to 15 or so casualties previously). Works well (pellets are dry and more easily accessible) and I can get the kids to help bring pellets up to the stove.

I premedicated with Ibuprofen and will redose shortly and I treated everyone to pizza, including buying our neighbor his own pie to bring home. Then my son and I did some outside chores before I built some herb shelves into the kitchen windows and finished framing the bathroom mirror (stuff my wife asked for me to get done before they get home on Saturday). Mission complete!

Speaking to the mission, the girls are holding up. I spoke to my daughter for about twenty minutes on Sunday before I went to the nursing home service, and she was excited that the team was able to see a cheetah on their safari in the Masai Mara reserve. They saw many of God's creatures (except the elephant) and enjoyed a time of bonding between medical clinics. My wife has a respirtatory/sinus infection but is resting (one team member has confirmed malaria). This week they are holding clinic in the Dandora slum outside of Nairobi - Emma was really shocked when she sent me a quick text today. Google some images and it'll blow you away. Lots of hurting people there, and in addition to the medical care the team is able to offer spiritual care by telling patients about God's love for them.
  17. Workout 08/03/12:

by , August 3rd, 2012 at 11:06 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Went to Off the Wall again this evening with my son.

15 min Rowing machine: 3367m
    3 x 8 reps Dips on the machine that allows me to cheat
    3 x 8 reps seated leg press with calf tweak at the end

Tomorrow my son and I are making the 2.5hour trip to Cooperstown and the baseball HOF. We were the highest bidders at a silent auction in April and planned the visit while the girls are in Africa. Below is a picture of my daughter in Namanga this week. The team goes on a safari this weekend in Masai Mara, then hold clinic next week in one of the slums outside Nairobi. True to form, my wife is ill and currently on Tamiflu. Thankfully the medical team has great docs and pharms to take care of her - trusting that she will be able to experience the safari.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	427252_3725279976160_617724997_n.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	6879
  18. Workout 07/29/12:

by , July 29th, 2012 at 11:42 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Weights with my son after work this afternoon, since the pool is closed and we have access to Off the Wall for no charge until the Rec reopens.

Rowing Machine: 15:05, 3167m
    Bench press: 3 x 8 reps
    Preacher curls: 3 x 8 reps

At home: pullups 6 x 3 reps
    Hot Tub: 15 min

Wife and daughter are safely in Kenya for two weeks of medical clinics. Apparently a group of monkeys are trying to get into their guest house rooms this week in Namanga, on the Tanzania border near Mt. Kilimanjaro. Praying without ceasing for the team and the people they will be helping.
  19. Workout 05/17/12: evening

by , May 17th, 2012 at 06:34 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)

Bench Press:
    1 x 3 x 48
    1 x 3 x 62
    3 x 3 x 86
    3 x 3 x 108
    * Had to use the exercise machine since the free weight was being used

Inverted Rows:
    I'll do 8 x 3 x body weight under the kitchen table tonight after the concert

Then for a quick swim:

200 FR/100 BK/100 BR drill
    4 x 100 Kick on 1:00
    2 x 100 FR DPS smooth on 1:30
    100 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/1100yds/15 min)
    ----------------------------
    Very quiet in the pool tonight - must be due to the beautiful weather outside. I work through the weekend, and (on cue) it is supposed to be gorgeous with temps in the mid-upper 70's and mostly sunshine. Good time to ride my bike to work! Oh, perhaps the drive-ins after work on Saturday?
  20. Workout 05/16/12: evening

by , May 16th, 2012 at 06:33 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Squats
    1 x 3 x 65
    1 x 3 x 75
    8 x 3 x 95

That was it.
    My hammies will be sore tomorrow as they barked a bit at me while waiting for the last two sets. I'll do upper body work with my cords tonight.

We're going to get food from our local Chippie tonight. Mushy peas for me! It's nice to have a taste of the White Cliffs just a few blocks from the house.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast