View RSS Feed

NSR

Random, non-swimming related entries

1. Workout 06/20/14

by , June 20th, 2014 at 11:35 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Completed my Lochte-esque drylands this morning - moving the pellets from the driveway, down some tables into the basement, then restacking all 4 tons. This year with the three girls and my son, we did it all in about an hour. 200 x 40# bags - I was in the basement lifting each bag and tossing to Preston to straighten out on the pile - my hammies are squeaking now :/

After getting cleaned up I took the crew to the local diner, the Blue Benn, for breakfast. I forgot how great the food is, and the large portions for a very fair price. I had the garden scramble with toast and homefries and was full all day.

In at noon for an easy swim:

200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill

kick swim pull with snorkel (used AP with swim and buoy with pull)
    050 100 200
    100 150 300
    050 100 200

4 x 75 on 1:15 (kick, IMO fast, pull

200 easy and out
    (Solo/Rec/2350 yards/50 min)
    -----------------------------------

Spent the afternoon helping my daughter clean the inside and out of her car; a nice time together and her car looks great. I think the battery on my motorcycle needs to be replaced, as it is not holding a charge when I take it off the trickle charger (it's at least six years old, so probably due).

Busy day tomorrow: after practice in the morning, I'll represent my church at a community day in town (bouncy house, popcorn/snow cones/horse rides) until 4, then off to the high school track for the Relay for Life. Sunday is looking a bit less rushed, although I will be preaching at church because our pastor needs gall bladder surgery on Monday and has been in the hospital since Wednesday. My first time leading the service, and I'm following his message from last week about being a hearer and doer of the Word with some observations from Paul in Philippians 4:8-9. Now to get a key to open the front door!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , NSR
  2. Workout 05/28/14: noon

by , May 28th, 2014 at 02:16 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Wow, it's been over a week since I was in the water.

200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM Drill

Kick Pull Swim (board/buoy/AP)
    050 100 200
    100 150 300
    050 100 200

100 EZ

4 x (25 B/c into 25 DPS) on :60
    4 x 100 (IM, Bk, Fr, Fly) on 2:00

4 x 75 on 1:20 (kick, fast swim IMO, pull)
    100 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2950 yds/60 min)
    --------------------------------

Last weekend we took the exchange kids to NYC for their visit after school on Friday, which was actually their school-wide Serve-a-thon day as each class did different projects in the community (the guys in Preston's class helped me to finish grouting the 3rd floor bathrooms at the college!). We head out from SW VT to Poughkeepsie, NY, and take the Metro North commuter train into Grand Central, a comfortable and inexpensive trip. A thunderstorm greeted us as we explored Times Square, drenching us and all the other people (including the soldiers there for Fleet Week):

Saturday morning was beautiful as we toured Manhattan on foot. We checked in to many sights in the city and even took took the Staten Island Ferry for some great views of the lower part of the city:

Looks like a quiet rest of the week on the home front, but then the final week of school and graduation parties for Jinho will pick up, so I need to make sure I get into the water.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , NSR
  3. Merry Christmas!

by , December 25th, 2012 at 08:01 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    A short note wishing all in the swimming intertubes a Happy Christmas!

BORKED
    Categories
    NSR
  4. 10/29/12: NSR

by , October 29th, 2012 at 05:37 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Sandy has closed the pool today and tomorrow at the least, so no swimming for me for a bit.

I was able to help at the registration booth yesterday for the cyclocross race in Bennington. Remember that my brother (the biker and former swimmer) swam at our meet in April, so I (the never was biker) helped out at his event. Last year it snowed, so it was canceled. This year it was beautiful for a race - they had a total of twelve divisions (including the costume one lap race I did) and lots of people out to ride.

You can see that the my wave (I'm the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown) had a varied group - Lance came with his lawyer (and special feed), Jesus was following the young Men In Black fellow (both well ahead of Buddy the Elf and some dude in a tutu), and other little ones that had already taken off:

I might have taken a wrong turn, but I was busy have fun and not falling over ...

More photos from the event here.

Great time. I am thinking of doing the Cat 4/citizen men ride next year, but we shall see. I'd have to remove my bar ends for that to happen.
  5. Workout & Chelsea Piers (NY) passports to give away

by , October 3rd, 2012 at 05:23 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I have 4 passports to Chelsea Piers that expire 10/28/12. Bowling, ice skating, health pass, batting cage.

Any of you able to use these? Swimsuit Addict , gtpy03, Chaos, Quick? I 'won' them at a silent auction, but never made it to the city and would be happy to get them to someone that someone might know that could put them to use. Let me know

===============

Bench press: 10x65, 10x115, 5x125, 3x130
    Leg extensions: 10x30, 10x40, 10x40
    Back extensions: 3x10 with 5#plate

Got home and did 3x10 "_____" where you lie on the floor, put your hands up on the kitchen table, then pull up (kinda like a upside-down pushup). I know there is a name for this ...

Then cool-down with some mint chip ice cream in the hottub x 15min.

Updated October 3rd, 2012 at 09:38 PM by rxleakem (Add lifting info)

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , NSR
  6. NSR-ish weekend thoughts ...

by , September 8th, 2012 at 12:13 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    This Saturday, my buddy Trent is swimming backstroke ten miles to Block Island off Rhode Island, where he was run over by a boat and suffered a spinal cord injury. He is raising money for the same, and you can see his story here: http://youtu.be/rMfXeE4Ixjo

I raced with Trent during the NEM 10k last fall, and then at Harvard this spring. www.backtoblock.org

In other news, the Rec is set to open on Monday, barring any unforeseen issues.
    Article here: http://www.benningtonbanner.com/news...reopens-monday

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	528608_462723360415711_781867564_n.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	6886

Updated September 8th, 2012 at 12:20 AM by rxleakem

Categories
    NSR
  7. Workout 07/24/12: (and pool update)

by , July 25th, 2012 at 09:10 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Got up this morning for a quick swim in NY.

4 x 200 with :20 SR
    1 x Noah's Ark
    10 x 50 with :10 SR
    - 1-4, 6-9: Quarter's Strong
    - 5, 10: breaststroke - ride the glide
    (Solo/Hoosick Falls/1800yds/30 min)
    -------------------------------

A short swim but nice to get in for some recovery. Probably my only time in the water this week with work and other activities.

The Bennington Banner has an update on the Rec Center rebuild this summer - looks like more work is required than they planned to do, but it should come in under budget and on time for completion to allow the pool to reopen after Labor Day. Here is a picture I took tonight of the progress (and the rusted out columns that need to be replaced) ...

Name:	IMAG1169.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	198.3 KB 
ID:	6878

I had an eye appt today and ordered some new glasses, spending a good deal of the afternoon inside until the eye drops wore off. Tonight we went to eat at the Rattlesnake cafe tonight as a "send-off supper" for my wife and daughter, who are leaving tomorrow for a flight to DC, then on to Kenya through August 10th for a medical mission with Global Health Outreach, the same group that I have been to Nicaragua with. I'm excited to see how God can work in their lives to help the people that they will serve through medicine, as well as hear of their adventures seeing His Creation halfway across the globe.
    Tags: gho
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , NSR
  8. 07/06/12

by , July 6th, 2012 at 08:10 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I arrived safely to Newport for Kingdom Swim. Met up with my yaker and spent the day relaxing. Marched now the parade and just finished the pre-race meal (last supper?). Feeds mixed, off to prepare the yak.

My race number is 33.

Name:	IMAG0959.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	6869

Updated October 18th, 2012 at 11:05 AM by rxleakem

Categories
    NSR
  9. Fast swimming this weekend

by , April 25th, 2012 at 09:29 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I also want to wish all you Natsy folks some fast swims this weekend.

I'll be trying to pass myself off as a meet director at out mini meet in Vermont - we have 20 people right now with some more entries in the mail. 100 fly, 400IM/100FR, maybe 100 BK if no one else signs up...
    Categories
    NSR
  10. NSR - somewhat

by , April 2nd, 2012 at 03:53 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Not to much to report in the way of water. I did play some basketball last night with my son at his school in a men's league that meets for pickup games. Ended up playing for 3 hours with just over 30 minutes subbed out - my legs are fried! I haven't played hoops in almost a year, but figure I'll add this in as crosstraining since I can make just about every Sunday evening. Much props to Alex for hooping it up with the kids at his school, as I am having trouble making it up and down stairs today!

Oh, and the Kingdom Swim folks have designated this week "Be kind to your Yaker" week, so I thought I would post this picture here of me and my yaker Bob:

Name:	1317082934005.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	6814

Bob lives in Portland, Maine, and has been my wingman for the 2.4 mile Peaks to Portland swim up that way for the past two years, and also drove to RI to paddle me through the 10k swim last September (where this picture was taken with race organizer Ray Gandy, in the middle, swam 27 hours and 42 minutes covering 45.6 miles in Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island, last year as a fundraiser for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society). A better yaker would be hard to find, as he is willingly going to join me on the 10 mile course in northeastern VT this July. Sometimes I feel bad for him roasting in his kayak, but then I go back to thinking about swimming.

Do something kind for your yaker this week, because of all that they do for you.

Otherwise, I have to float to a store in Burlington tomorrow (a three hour drive) to work . This type of thing always happens when I have a vacation coming up - kind of an unsaid obligation that we have in order to get time off for our own vacation. Oh well, I might actually get home in time to make the masters Tuesday evening practice tomorrow night - that would be a plus.

Updated April 2nd, 2012 at 04:01 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    NSR
  11. Thanksgiving Haiku

by , November 24th, 2011 at 03:02 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    No swimming for me,
    Rec Center is closed today,
    Happy Thanksgiving.

Updated March 30th, 2012 at 10:29 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    NSR
  12. Snow!

by , October 27th, 2011 at 09:20 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    It won't last long, but we are getting our first snow of the year tonight. I found my snowshoes in the basement while getting wood pellets last night, and thinking about how much I love getting out in the snow. I will have to wait a few more weeks before we get a real chance to hit the mountains around town.

Updated March 30th, 2012 at 10:30 PM by rxleakem

Tags: snowshoes
    Categories
    NSR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0300.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	191.5 KB 
ID:	6769