Blog Comments

I was struggling on those breathing swims too, Greg. Great attempts! It was fun that Bryan and Lena joined us.

No pools there, but we did have a pond. I guess my open water swimming was started when I was very young!
    Looks like a cool place to spend a childhood - but I bet you had some pretty heavy-duty chores to do too! But which building housed the pool complex? With so many great swimmers in your family, I've just got to assume y'all had your own world-class indoor facilities on the farm.

Nice meeting your oldest brother and seeing Lena enjoying a swim. Good workout today. (And in spite of my being a wise-guy, I really did make an effort on that breathing pattern you gave us. Failed, but tried.)
    Correction: I held an intensely UNcomfortable pace throughout the 400. (Hmm, maybe my soreness and stiffness was due to all that arm twisting?)

As for the 100 breast, I have great news for all frogs out there. Never mind Cameron Van Der Burgh's extra SDKs that he sneaked in at the start of his WR Olympic race, I took an entire extra stroke in my pullout off the blocks and didn't get DQ'd. Apparently that's legal now - at least if you do it because you're fixing the goggles that slid down your face on the dive, and if you then swim the rest of the race blind because your goggles are full of water. (Take home lesson of the day: putting goggles back on face = not a good choice of how to spend time during a race.)

Still, in spite of some physical challenges and equipment malfunctions, it was a very fun day and I really enjoyed watching the many excellent swims, not the least of which were your 400IM (very smart swimming, the way you conserved energy with the long glides on the fly while still keeping up a great pace) and the blazing but smooth-as-ever 100 back. Congrats on a great day of racing.

And yes, they were quite generous with the swag. This jacket is already coming in handy with the cooler nights we've been having.

FYI aztimm, the Springfield College pool is also convertible, having a moving bulkhead. It's where (back in the 70's-80's) we had our end of season age-group SCY championships every year. Haven't been back since. But you're right about not much space on the sides - although I remembered it being way bigger, so it was a real surprise to see how small it looked 30 years later.
    Great job with that meet!
    Certainly sounds like some great swimming.
    That pool doesn't sound too nice though, only 6 lanes? doesn't look like much space on the sides either. well I'm used to convertible pools, where they can go from LCM to SCY.
    Yep, I'm ready to watch you swim it! Ha ha.

But seriously, let's just say I'm ready to start it. Finishing may be another matter, but we'll see...

That's good you're feeling good in the water today. I felt much better on Thurs. than I did on Tues.
    Thanks for the encouragement, guys! I am looking forward to a new swimming adventure, and the opportunity to achieve masters best times
    Yea I like LCM meets too, prefer swimming LCM whenever I can. I also hate turns.

The 400 should be a great event for you. Good luck!
    my first ever LCM meet.
    First ever, man you have been deprived! There is nothing like racing in LCM. Of course, I hate turns. The less walls, the better in my book.
    Good luck at your meet. Swim fast and have fun.
    Thanks pwb - there are no motors allowed on the lake and we can carve a path away from folks in canoes or kayaks, or those fishing from the shore. The only downfall is the increase in weeds as the summer gets warmer.

Greg - two more super moons coming! The lunar exposure is beautiful tonight over b-town
    Now I know why that moon hanging over the lake looked so plump:
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/10/world/...html?hpt=hp_c3
    That looks like a beautiful place to train.
    Or maybe we can dredge some blades behind us and really clear a path!
    Might bring a weed whacker along next time. Nice swim, though - glad I made it. And your outing yesterday looked very cool!
    That's gorgeous!
    That is a picture worthy of framing. Just. Beautiful.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    That is our basement; it is not finished, about 7 feet high with a poured concrete floor. Nice and cool in the summer and a great place to store all of these pellets. I used to keep them in the garage, but dear old dad was the only one trekking out in the cold and snow to restock the stove.
    Smart move but what else are dads for, right? I know my crowd would expect the same of me.
    That is our basement; it is not finished, about 7 feet high with a poured concrete floor. Nice and cool in the summer and a great place to store all of these pellets. I used to keep them in the garage, but dear old dad was the only one trekking out in the cold and snow to restock the stove.
    Wow. That's a lot of bags. Is it the picture or do you have a very high ceiling in your basement. I miss my basement from when I lived in Boston. Unfortunately in Dallas we typically don't have them due to the expansive soil.
    Updated June 21st, 2014 at 06:43 PM by StewartACarroll
    Thanks for the birthday wishes as I begin my slide down the back half of the 40's...
Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... LastLast