View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

My wife and kids motivated me to get my big belly back into the pool after buying a pair of SwiMP3's for Christmas in 2008. I focused on swimming the Peaks To Portland (Maine) 2.4 mile swim in July, 2010, and have added meets and consistent training since then. I mostly swim on my own because I am only able to get together with the local Master's workout group a couple of times a month. I love the backstroke and short free events, and I have a newly discovered fondness for Open Water, having completed my first 10K in Sept '11 and 10 mile in July '12.

My faith in Christ sees me through the exhausting practices and long hours driving to competitions (well, everything day by day, actually), and helps to keep me grounded in the knowledge that the events are only to give me feedback on how my training is progressing. If you're interested, just ask.

------
Check out my swimmer info page here.

1. Workout 02/25/14: evening

by , February 25th, 2014 at 10:32 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I had an easy day off today, starting with a Rx Task Force meeting, then joining my pastor at a local computer store to help pick out a laptop that someone associated with the church plant offered to purchase for the church. What a blessing! We went to Chapel then I worked on some homeword before getting a dish prepared for tonight's end-of-year basketball banquet. I am really proud of Preston, Jinho, and Lina for playing this year and being able to celebrate tonight. arty:

Made it to Masters for an easy practice:

200 Fr
    150 Kick, 150 Pull
    4 x 50 Quarter's Strong on 1:05
    100 swim

2 x
    - 25 AFAP, 75 EZ
    - 75 DPS, 25 AFAP
    - 25 EZ, 25 Build, 50 DPS (drop a stroke from first to second lap)
    (All on 2:10)

2 x
    - 100 Stroke/IM into 50 Kick on 2:15

4 x 50 Active Recovery and out
    (Masters/Rec/1900 yds/60 min)
    --------------------------------

I'm going to sleep in tomorrow morning.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Workout 02/24/14: evening

by , February 24th, 2014 at 09:36 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Back in the water for the first time since Thursday. I thought it would be a good idea since I have a meet this weekend

200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill
    2 x 100 kick
    8 x 50 FR on 1:05
    1 x 50 ez
    8 x 50 Bk on 1:10
    1 x 50 ez
    6 x 75, done as:
    - 2 FR (on 1:15, 1:45; held :50)
    - 2 Bk (on 1:20, 1:40; held :54)
    - 2 IM (on 1:20, 1:40)
    6 x 25 on 1:00 drag race from mid pool (2 fr/bk/fly)
    4 x 50 on 1:20 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2500 yds/60 min)
    ----------------------------

My legs are pretty beat from the hiking adventure last week, which you can read about here if you would like to (and see some pictures).

My rough plan is to swim tomorrow with Masters, and maybe Wednesday and Friday morning as easy stuff. Friday I am off to Mt. Snow for the day (nothing like pounding the legs!), then I'll do stroke work and an easy workout with Masters on Saturday before heading to the meet. I am swimming: 200 Back, 50 Fly, 50 Free, and 100 Free; aiming for a good time in the back and seeing what I can muster in the 100 after those sprints.

Updated February 25th, 2014 at 08:51 AM by rxleakem

Tags: hiking
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Planning
  3. Workout 12/20/14: evening

by , February 20th, 2014 at 08:32 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Well, we survived the adventure! The two miles up a mountain to the cabin were, well, long. And steep. But we worked through some issues (I ended up pulling two sleds with cooking stuff and other people's personal items) and arrived to a cold cabin. But lots of firewood, so I had the shanty blazing hot in no time. We laughed at some of the misteps (which were king-sized due to the snowshoes), ate some warm food and played Apples to Apples before S'Mores and bed. I plan to blog about this elsewhere, and will post a link in a future post because I am sure you are all wondering why I'd plan for this in the winter after a 20+" snowstorm!

I was going to skip the pool tonight, but had time and went for a quick swim before Bible class at the college:

200 FR/200 BK/200 IM Drill
    400 Shark Swim
    4 x 50 Quarter's Strong FR
    4 x 50 Burst and Cruise IMO
    150 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/1550 yds/30 min)

I was bushed after getting home and unloading gear. I jumped right into the hot tub, then finished some reading so decided to get in a quick swim. GregJS was there, fighting the the swim team kids in the fast lane - I stayed in the medium lane and went with traffic.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Workout 02/16/14: noon

by , February 16th, 2014 at 10:00 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I skipped swimming yesterday I order to enjoy a massage with my wife. It felt great, and I am sore today (first time that has happened) - she really worked my back over. It should help in the long run, I'm sure.

After church this morning and before servie tonight, I was able to get in a swim. The adult swim hour is packed on Sundays, so I took it easy and basically went according to traffic. Ended up with 3000 yds in 65 minutes, which is good news as the Rec is closed tomorrow for President's Day.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Workout 02/14/14: noon

by , February 14th, 2014 at 09:21 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Spent roughtly 2 hours digging out from the most recent winter storm to hit the area, complete with close to 20 inches of snow! A great way to get the heart moving this Valentine's Day

Hit the pool at lunch and had the pool to myself for the first half hour:

200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM Drill

4 x through with snorkel:
    - 100 kick on 1:50
    - 100 Fr pull with buoy on 1:20

10 x 150 on 2:10, done as 2 x through:
    - Perfect Stroke with AP
    - 100 DPS, 50 Fast
    - 50 DPS, 50 Fast, 50 DPS
    - 50 Fast, 100 DPS
    - 150 BK plus :20 SR

50 Easy
    4 x 50 on :60
    - easy FR down, :05 rest, IMO Fast back
    200 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/3350 yds/60 min)

I felt really great in the water, and took advantage of the empty pool to the fullest extent possible. After the swim, I broke out my roof rake to complete drylands for the day.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Workout 02/11/14: evening

by , February 11th, 2014 at 10:56 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Enjoyed a great day, especially since I continue to feel better. Was able to work on taxes for three folks in the family (via TurboTax), and will probably get around to doing my own in the next week or two. Also heard a great message at Chapel service today.

Team practice tonight (adapted from "Swim with SwimOutlet" facebook post); GregJS and I did the following, Tim did his own thing, and a new to the water swimmer hopped in and I offered some efficiency advice (best thing to tell triathletes is to work on ankle flexibility to help kick to help body position).

200 Free/150 Kick/150 Pull
    4 x 50 b/c on 1:05
    100 no free swim

2 x
    - 6 x 75 Free
    1-2 on 1:20 (80%)
    3-4 on 1:15 (85%)
    5-6 on 1:10 (90+%)
    - half masters-minute rest
    - 4 x 50 Free on :55 (hold same pace as 5-6 above)
    - full masters-minute rest

2 x 100 on 2:00 warmdown (50 drill/50 swim, all choice)
    (Masters/Rec/2300 yds/55 min)
    -----------------------------------

I felt the water better tonight. I did the first round of the main set with the dorkel (:56, :53, :50) and the non-free IM on the second round, where we added and extra 10 seconds to each 75 interval.

I submitted paperwork for the mini meet we're holding at the end of April:
    04262014 Monumental Meet.pdf
    Hope to see some old friends and also new faces - stop by for a splash if you're in this neck of the woods!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Workout 02/10/14: evening

by , February 10th, 2014 at 09:36 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Well, my turn on the sick train appears to have ended. Caught the upper respiratory bug going around the area and spent Wed and Thurs in bed (b/c in pharmacy you can only be sick on your days off), then staggered through the weekend at work. Still have a cough but ventured to the pool anyways ...

200 FR/200 BK/200 IM drill
    600 Shark Swim
    2 x (4 x 50 on :50 - IMO down and easy free back)
    100 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/1700 yds/30 min)
    --------------------------------

Breathing was better than expected, but lack of feel in the water was right where I thought it would be. Planning to take it easy this week and get back into the groove of things.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Workout 02/03/14: morning

by , February 3rd, 2014 at 10:37 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Tired after all the "drylands" this weekend, in addition to watching the Super Bowl last night. The Seahawks were impressive, but I think that my Patirots could have slowed them down and put more points on the board. (But I am not sure if they could have beat them).

Quick swim before work, first day back after a week's staycation:

200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill
    5 x 100 kick with board on 1:50
    4 x 50 on :50
    2 x 100 IM on traffic
    2 x 100 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/1700 yds/35 min)
    -------------------------------

Water was hot, I was tired. Got out early so I could shave before going to work. I put in my entry for the One Hour Swim this evening, helping team NEM to retain the National Champs. I'm wiped out from vacation.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Workout 02/01/14: morning

by , February 1st, 2014 at 10:24 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Had a fun day snowboarding yesterday, first time at the mountain in a few years. I was able to get the old snowboard waxed and sharpened - not too bad for being 22 years old, huh?

Feeling a little sore, I was up early to get the kids to a Men's Breakfast before masters.

200 Swim/200 Kick/200 Pull

Modified from AZTimm's set during the week:
    8 x 50 on :60 (I did 75's instead of 50's all the way through)
    200 Pull
    6 x 50 on 1:05
    200 swim/kick
    4 x 50 on 1:10
    200 swim with 3 dolphin kicks off each wall

12 x 25's on :30
    - odds = FAST, evens = no free

200 loosen and out (plus and extra 200 in between)
    (Masters/Rec/3250 yds/90 min)
    ------------------

Nice workout - the idea is to keep the 50's at the same pace/time by round, but get faster through the set given the extra rest. I was able to maintain ~7 /~11/ ~20 seconds rest by round, going 47 on he last 75. I have been trying to encourage the team to work on SDK's, which will help everyone move more quickly through the water.

Spent the afternoon cutting tiles at the college, and completed the ladies room and have to just put up three tiles in the guys room, then grout, and on to the top floor! I would have finished everything up, but Lena and I were called upon (a few hours before) to chaperone the dance at the kid's school - nice excuse to get dolled up and break a move!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts