View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

My wife and kids motivated me to get my big belly back into the pool after buying a pair of SwiMP3's for Christmas in 2008. I focused on swimming the Peaks To Portland (Maine) 2.4 mile swim in July, 2010, and have added meets and consistent training since then. I mostly swim on my own because I am only able to get together with the local Master's workout group a couple of times a month. I love the backstroke and short free events, and I have a newly discovered fondness for Open Water, having completed my first 10K in Sept '11 and 10 mile in July '12.

My faith in Christ sees me through the exhausting practices and long hours driving to competitions (well, everything day by day, actually), and helps to keep me grounded in the knowledge that the events are only to give me feedback on how my training is progressing. If you're interested, just ask.

------
Check out my swimmer info page here.

1. Workout 04/30/14: evening

by , April 30th, 2014 at 11:25 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    It's been a damp and cold day here in the northeast, so I hunkered down next to the pellet stove to work on two papers for my Bible class. Finished my Pneumatology paper and pushed past the half-way mark of my research paper. The last class is tomorrow night, and since I am auditing I'll just hand it in the following week when the kids take their exams.

I received a note that the school was hosting a pizza lunch and movie with the president, so Lena and I went over and watched Monumental, Kirk Cameron's film from a few years back. It was a great look at the plight of the Pilgrims, and a lot different than I remember learning about in school (although I rocked out the big yellow buckle in a 2nd grade play). I'd recommend checking it out if you have access to it.

After watching my niece in her swim lesson, I did the team workout from last night:

700 warmup
    3 x
    - 50 kick/200 swim/50 pull

4 x 75 on :20sr
    100 loosen
    (Solo/Rec/1900 yds/30 min)
    --------------------------------

It ended up being family/lap swim, and there was some traffic in the lap lane. Oh well. Went into work from 6-8 to count narcotics during our annual biannual inventory, then came home to relax for the night .
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Workout 04/28/14: noon

by , April 28th, 2014 at 01:54 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I'll recap the meet from Saturday at some point, but I had a great time and everything went smoothly. Lots of fast and fun swims by all

Quick workout at lunch today before heading into work:

200 Fr/200 BK

2 x (all with snorkel)
    - 100 kick/100 AP/100 pull with buoy

200 IM drill as loosen
    (Solo/Rec/1200 yds/20 min)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Workout 04/25/14: noon

by , April 25th, 2014 at 10:32 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Spent the morning working on my research paper due next week. Hit the pool at lunchtime:

200 fr/200 bk/200 im drill
    8 X 50 (alt kick/drill)
    4 X 50 Quarter's Strong free
    200 loosen
    (Solo/Rec/1400 yds/35 min)
    --------------------------------------

Meet Warm-up. Felt good. Three other swimmers for tomorow's meet were there - so cool. Had another entry in the mail, so we're at 30.

Picked up some goodies for prizes, should be all set for the meet!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Workout 04/22/14: evening

by , April 22nd, 2014 at 10:41 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Spectacular Chapel at the college this morning, as the head of the Southern Baptist Convention, Fred Luter, came to preach - what a great sermon from John 10.

Masters tonight: old taper workout:

200 swim, 150 pull,150 kick
    4 x 50 Quarter's Strong on 1:15
    100 non-free swim

2 x
    - 25 AFAP into 75 DPS
    - 25 DPS into 25 AFAP
    - 25 EZ, 25 Build, 50 DPS (drop one stroke on last 25)

2 x 100 (100 stroke/IM into 50 kick at 75%
    4 x 50 Active Recovery and out
    (Masters/Rec/1900 yds/55 min)
    -------------------------------------

Full pool, and Greg was going so fast on the AFAP that he lost his suit. He was like and we were all like and

update 4/24: meet has 29 people right now, likely another 5 or so by Saturday. It's coming along ...
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Workout 04/21/14: evening

by , April 21st, 2014 at 10:20 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    How, been a while since I was able to get a workout in. We made a trip to southern Virginia last week during school vacation, stopping in Philly and DC for a day before getting to hang out with friends for a bit. I got some info from Chris S. about swimming in the Richmond area, but was not able to make it happen with family activities. Instead of enjoying the parking lot known as I-95, we took a more westerly route home and stopped in at Gettysburg before traversing PA and then shooting north back to VT.

President Obama says hello

I did sneak in 20 minutes on Thursday for a swim, but basically floated about after the long ride home on Wednesday. Had to work the weekend, but made it sunrise service at 6am, then to my sister-in-law's house for an egg hunt and Easter dinner, then went to celebrate the one year anniversary of the church plant for a resurrection service in the evening - a great night!

After work today I hopped in to the water:
    200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill
    400 kick/drill by 50
    5 x 50 FR on :45
    1 x 50 ez
    5 x 50 Bk on :50
    1 x 50 ez
    20 x 25 on :30 (2 Fr DPS, 1 IM order sprint, 1 FR DPS)
    300 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2400 yds/45 min)

Ate too much on vacation and also Easter, so I feel like a stuffed pig (and look the same way). I am looking forward to picking up jogging again a couple of days per week after this weekend's meet in order to help drop some weight.

Speaking of the meet, we are now at 19 entries with early deadline to be postmarked by tomorrow. I am planning for ten more to come in before the weekend from some of the clubs in western Mass, and hopefully some from neighboring Adirondack's. Don't think well hit the almost 40 from last year, but should get over 30. The biggest headache right now is that two of three officials have dropped out, so we are looking for a second one with me probably filling as well as an extra set of eyes. I am confident the pool will be full and ready for a fun meet by Saturday.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Planning
  6. Workout 04/08/14: evening

by , April 8th, 2014 at 10:42 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Spent the day grouting at the college as planned, and enjoyed a great Chapel service with a guest pastor from Oklahoma. I watched my niece at swim lessons this afternoon than went with her family (and my daughter) to the Art Show that her daycare put on before grabbing some pizza. A fun evening!

Made it to Masters:
    200 Swim/200 Kick/200 Pull
    8 x 25 drill
    4 x 300's, done as:
    - 4 x 25 FAST on :45, 100 loosen, 4 x 25 on :45 (down FAST, back ez)
    - 2 x 150 on 3:30 Even Split (I did 200's: 2:24, 2:22)
    - 6 x 50 on 1:15 (1 ez, 2-5 = Quarter's Strong [I did 75's], last one ez)
    - 3 x 100 (50 pull/50 swim)
    (Masters/Rec/2200 yds/60 min)
    ------------------------------------

Had a full pull, with GregJS, Carol, and Renee swimming the workout with me while Tim, Melissa, and Emily did their own thing. 9 entries so far for the meet in about 2.5 weeks, a little less than last year, where we had 39 swimmers. I think we'll be in the lower 30's this year.

Greg is swimming up in the Burlington area this weekend at a first time meet - swim fast!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Workout 04/07/14: evening

by , April 7th, 2014 at 11:42 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Busy weekend at work. Emma is feeling better, but very sore. She sure is a trooper

After work today I started on some grouting at the college and will do more tomorrow. I was able to get in a short swim before watching some movies with Emma (everyone else in the family is down in PA looking at Messiah and Lancaster Bible Colleges).

200 FR/200 BK/200 IM drill
    3 x (50 kick, 50 pull, 100 DPS with AP) all with dorkel
    4 x 75 on 1:20 (swim/drill/sprint rotating IM order)
    1 x 50 EZ
    4 x 50 Quarter's Strong free on 1:00
    100 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/1850 yds/35 min)

I'm feeling a bit sluggish in the water, but happy to #GetWet. GregJS was cranking some fast 50's between the other two swimmers in our lane, so I had to give way. I'm ready for masters tomorrow night.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Workout 04/03/14: evening

by , April 3rd, 2014 at 07:26 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Spent the morning with Emma and her continuing dental saga. She had five extractions and bone grafts in prep for four implants. Please pray for her recovery and pain to be small, and for the rest of the plan to work out as the dentist has suggested. We're believing that God will take care of all the details, especially the financial part.

Quick swim before my college class tonight:
    200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill
    2 x (with dorkel)
    - 100 kick
    - 150 pull
    16 x 25 on :30
    - odds easy Fr, evens = FAST IMO
    100 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/1600 yds/30 min)
    ----------------------------

More or less just trying to finish last night's workout since I have not been making time for the pool as of late.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Workout 04/02/14: evening

by , April 2nd, 2014 at 10:13 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Yesterday I was treated to an eight hour Interal Audit at work, with low staffing, on the first of the month, which happened to be April 1st. Boo.

Quick workout tonight:

200 Fr/200 Bk
    8 X 50 kick on :55
    - 4 Fr, 4 Bk
    4 X 100 on 1:25
    4 X 50 BK on :50 Quarter's Strong
    4 X 50 FR on :50 b/c
    100 loosen
    Solo/Rec/1700 yds/30min)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts