View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

My wife and kids motivated me to get my big belly back into the pool after buying a pair of SwiMP3's for Christmas in 2008. I focused on swimming the Peaks To Portland (Maine) 2.4 mile swim in July, 2010, and have added meets and consistent training since then. I mostly swim on my own because I am only able to get together with the local Master's workout group a couple of times a month. I love the backstroke and short free events, and I have a newly discovered fondness for Open Water, having completed my first 10K in Sept '11 and 10 mile in July '12.

My faith in Christ sees me through the exhausting practices and long hours driving to competitions (well, everything day by day, actually), and helps to keep me grounded in the knowledge that the events are only to give me feedback on how my training is progressing. If you're interested, just ask.

------
Check out my swimmer info page here.

1. Workout 06/26/13: noon

by , June 26th, 2013 at 09:52 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Happy to get into the water today, even though I am a little stiff. I was going to get up for a morning swim, but turned off my alarm and slept in. That was nice.

So, I found a workout whilst searching the intertubes as I embarked on open water swimming a few years ago, and find myself coming back to it at various times of the year as an end-of-taper challenge. I pulled it from a post by Nick White at this webiste, which has some good tips on the first page and the workout on the second. I did the main set below:

400 Fr with snorkel/200 Bk/200 IM drill

Power-interval set: 8 x 200 on 2:45
    - 1-4 pull with Agility paddles
    - 5-8 swim focusing on high elbows and catch

Sprint-interval set: 9 x 100 on 1:30 (rotating a 50-yard sprint through the set)
    - 1: 50 sprint, 50 race pace
    - 2: 25 race pace, 50 sprint, 25 race pace
    - 3: 50 race pace, 50 sprint
    Repeat twice

200 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/3500 yds/55 min)
    --------------------------------

Another good kick in the hind-quarters with this workout! I was coming in around 2:30 on the first 4 200's, then about 7 seconds slower on the last four. I took a good Masters Minutes between the Power and Sprint set, and plugged along. By round, I held 1:10, 1:12, 1:15, getting really tired on the last round but I stuck with it.

My day off tomorrow has been replaced with 12 hour shift and an hour drive north (then home) to cover a neighboring store that had a pharmacist quit, so I will be able to get back into the water Friday morning. I'll look forward to that!
    Tags: surge-power
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Workout 06/24/13: morning

by , June 24th, 2013 at 09:26 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I had a nice ride Saturday on the motorcycle with my buddy Rick before heading to the annual Relay for Life here in my county. I have gone every years since it started, 1996, sometimes on a team but mostly just to go and walk some laps for my mom, Lena's grandfathers, and other friends and family. When this weekend comes around, rain usually accompanies the festivities but we this was the odd year that the temperatures were warm and the track stayed dry.

Yesterday I was able to also enjoy a ride on the motorcycle with Lena, heading to her cousin's high school graduation over in Rock City Falls, NY, a little town just west of Saratoga. Round trip three hours on the bike, baking in the sun! Still a fun time despite mild dehydration.

Hopped in this morning to stretch out:

200 Fr/200 Bk warmup

Kick/Swim/Pull (board/agility paddles/buoy)
    050 100 500 with snorkel
    100 150 400 with snorkel
    150 200 300

4 x 75 on 1:15
    - kick/swim IMO/pull

100 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2750 yds/50 min)
    --------------------------

Back into the drink on Wednesday for me
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Workout 06/22/13: morning

by , June 22nd, 2013 at 12:42 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    200 Swim/200 Kick/100 Pull/100 IM drill

4 x 250 as:
    - 25 50 75 100
    - 25 50 100 75
    - 25 100 50 75
    - 100 25 50 75
    And
    25's FAST on 0:30 0:40 0:40
    50's 90% on 0:50 1:00 1:10
    75's 85% on 1:10 1:20 1:30
    100's Fast on 1:30 1:40 2:00
    (Pick an interval - I did the first interval)

200 ez

8 x 75 on 1:45 (kick/swim/pull)
    8 x 25 on :40 burst and cruise
    1 x 200 loosen and out
    (Masters/Rec/2800 yds/65 min)

Had a great evening yesterday at my brother's house, visiting with my uncle and cousin out from California. Complete with ice cream cake! Got up this morning and joined GregJS and Meg at the pool for a good workout. I generally have the main sets vary either in distance or, in as in today's case, time intervals. Off to get in a motorcycle ride in this afternoon, then a few laps at the Relay for Life tonight with the family.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Workout 06/21/13: noon

by , June 21st, 2013 at 01:44 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    100 Fr/100 Bk

10 x 100 on 1:30
    - odds Fr with some kicking
    - evens stroke

Build a 200 IM on 2:50
    - did the IM as drill

3 x
    - 4 x 50 Quarters Strong on :45
    - 100 kick on 3:00

300 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/3400 yds/60 min)
    ----------------------------

Nice finish to the day, swimming at least. My uncle Paul and cousin Kevin are visiting from California, so we are going to a cookout at my brother's house tonight. Time to relax a bit on a beautiful day off!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Workout 06/21/13: morning

by , June 21st, 2013 at 09:41 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill/7 x 50 on :50 Burst+cruise/1 x 50 EZ

Kick/Swim/Pull (board/Agility/Buoy)
    050 100 200 with snorkel
    100 150 300 with snorkel
    150 200 400 with snorkel
    200 250 500

300 Loosen with and out
    (Solo/Rec/3900 yds/65 min)
    -----------------------------

I skipped swimming on Wednesday morning before work because I was just too tired and don't want to repeat last year's performance of a nasty head cold heading into summer. Work continues to be busy, but still less stressful as our student is with us full time, so I am enjoying the "break" for now. It won't last long because the store in Rutland (about an hour north) had someone quit on Tuesday after not showing up for their shift. I'll be picking up a day a week there to help out until they get a replacement in.

I slept in an extra half hour this morning and felt really good in the water. Not too many other swimmers so I didn't have to circle swim at all, which is a great treat. Planning to get back in at lunchtime.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Workout 06/18/13: evening

by , June 18th, 2013 at 09:12 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    200 swim/200 kick/200 pull with buoy/100 IM drill

8 x 25 various as a group

Broken Mile:
    3 x 100 on 1:20
    4 x 150 on 2:00
    3 x 200 on 2:40
    3 x 50 on :40

100 kick, 100 IM drill, 100 pull w/ buoy
    200 loosen and out
    (Masters/Rec/3050 yds/60 min)

Great practice tonight, taken from an old HVT workout. I realized after writing it that it was on BASE + 10 but we did it on Base. Oh well, a nice kick in the pants to end the evening! Light attendance with only me, Tim, and Carol. Now for some supper than some
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Workout 06/18/13: noon

by , June 18th, 2013 at 01:40 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I decided to sleep in a tad and forego practice this morning, hitting up the adult swim at noon instead.

400 Fr w/ snorkel/200 Bk/200 IM Drill
    1 x 1000 Pull with buoy and agility paddles
    1 x 100 loosen
    1 x 1000 (50 kick/50 pull w/ buoy/50 agility paddles/50 swim; repeat)
    1 x 100 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/3000 yds/50 min)

Ran some errands this morning after a Rx Task Force meeting, then got in before lunch. It was crowded, six total at one point, so I plugged along. Will get to Masters tonight.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Workout 06/17/13: evening

by , June 17th, 2013 at 09:09 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Well, Emma is home. The van ended up giving my wife some problems, leading to a rental for half of the trip and me driving down to Exit 17 of the NYS Thruway after work on Friday to swap vehicles. Ended up getting home around 2am, then worked Saturday. Then I was treated to a nice supper after work for Father's Day. Hopped in tonight for a swim:

4 x 1000 with a Master's Minute between:
    - 200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM Drill/4x50 B/c on 1:00/200 Kick
    - 500 Noah's Ark pull with snorkel/5 x 100 on 1:30 w/ agility paddles
    - 250 pull/100 kick/150 agility paddles/5 x 100 IM on 1:50
    - 4 x 125 (75 DPS, 50 IMO) on 1:55/5 x (50 kick/25 skull/25 dill)
    Solo/Rec/4000 yds/72 min)

Good to get back into the water after a long weekend off. Feel like I have caught up on sleep a bit and will plan to double tomorrow and Friday with additional swims on Wednesday before work and with the team on Saturday. Watching The Hobbit now; well, maybe just half of it tonight!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Workout 06/13/13: evening

by , June 13th, 2013 at 10:18 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Woke up early to head to over near Albany, NY, to our corporate main office for a staff pharmacists meeting. In the past, only the pharmacy managers have gone to this type of event, but they are finding out that not all of the info is being passed down the pipeline so we will now be getting invited ahead of their meeting. Interesting stuff, especially about the business stuff related to the whole chain, and I think I got more out of it than the nice lunch and mileage. (I was going to ride the motorcycle, but it was raining by the time I left home and was forecasted to continue all day - I'd have take just the wet ride home but was not up for a drenching in both directions. It's fun to get paid to ride, but not today.)

Got home in time to hit up the lap/family swim, where GregJS and Tim were working hard. I did:

200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill

1 x 400 on ? (snorkel and agility paddles)
    4 x 100 on 1:35 (snorkel: 50 kick, 50 fast)
    2 x 200 on 2:50 (snorkel and pull with buoy; fast middle 100)
    16 x 25 on :30 (1 ez, 1 AFAP + 1 ez, 2 AFAP + 1 ez, 3+1, 4+1, then 1 ez)

200 Dolphin Dives in Deep with agility paddles
    100 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2500 yds/45 min)

Feeling good after the long swim yesterday, and I am just under 15,000 yds for the week. Might try to sneak in another swim tomorrow morning, or hit a lake this weekend. One more heavy week of training before cutting back - I'm a tad beat up and will use two weeks to recover before Kingdom. Need to look at my blogs from last year to see what I did - love that perk from blogging!

On the homefront, Emma finishes exams tomorrow and will be coming home! I have to work, so Lena and Preston will be driving my van (aka "Phantom" or "death trap") down in the morning, packing her up, and coming home tomorrow night. I gassed it up, checked the tires, (had it serviced a few weeks ago) put on new wipers and set the GPS up so that there should be no major issues. It has 216k+ miles and has a knack for mysteriously wiping the windshield (on it's own) and I gave it a fancy paint job by hand (due to various rust spots that I repaired), hence either of the two nicknames

So, I'll be saying some prayers throughout my day at work then there will be a small tomorrow night!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Workout 06/12/13: OW (first of year)

by , June 12th, 2013 at 10:22 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I arranged to meet up with GregJS for another dip into the Harriman Reservoir over in Wilmington for a longer open water swim to gear up for the upcoming open water season. The weather forecast was not all that spectacular, which made the idea of swimming more appealing in order to get some exposure to less than ideal conditions. Picked up Greg with his kayak and we dropped-in at a different spot than our two swims last year.

The tributary leading into the body of water was indeed roaring from all of the rain as of late. The water was easily eight feet higher than last summer, and the dock was a tad submerged as you can see in picture below. Air temp was ~60, water at 62, with a light drizzle falling from the overcast sky. Due to the conditions, my plan for a 2.5-3 hour swim was changed to "let's swim to the first bend and see how it goes."
    http://twitpic.com/cww19d

The water was chilly, and it took a few hundred yards or so to get my head into the water comfortably. We swam for about 15 minutes before the sun poked out, and it would shine for a bit but then hide again for the duration of the swim. The wind also picked up a bit on that original leg of the swim, with whitecaps forming above the 8-12 inch swells. We ended up getting a tad lower in the reservoir than the last swim, circling around the small island before turning back. One lone motor boat out on the water today, and we only caught a short glimpse of it well away from us.

I adjusted my feeds a bit. Took water at 30 min, then electrolyte mix on the top of the hour and maltodextrin feed on the bottom, but both at a lesser concentration and caloric count. Worked out well, and I also tried a powerade fruit packet thingy at 1:45 that settled in my stomach well.

The last 30 minutes was a beast! Mind you, it took us ~15 min to swim down the same distance from the dock, but it took over 30 to get back. The water was rolling and I felt a bit like I was in one of those Endless Pools - pretty epic! Did get to alter my stroke a bit to see how it affected my progress, which was slow. Finally got to the dock and I was able to sample some warm tea that Greg brought along. I think he took the worst of that last stretch as the wind picked up (as the rain did as well) with the chop drenching him pretty well, while I was already wet and protected a bit from the wind.

The track of the swim is here and documents the 3.76 mile (6k) swim completed in a tad over 2 hours. Only odd occurrence was a cramping of my left pinky toe. Another hearty thanks to Greg for braving the weather with me.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Open Water
  11. Workouts 06/10/13: morning and noon

by , June 10th, 2013 at 01:44 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Great weekend, complete with two motorcycle rides totaling ~215 miles.

Morning

Kick Swim Pull
    050 100 150
    100 150 300
    150 200 450
    (With snorkel: kick w/ board, swim w/ Agility Paddles, pull w/ buoy)

50 EZ and out
    (Solo/Rec/2300 yds/45 min)
    - Nice stretch-out swim after all that riding!

Noon
    100 Fr/100 Bk/100 IM drill

8 x 125
    - 1-4 = kick last 25 on 2:00
    - 6-8 = FAST 50 shufflelast -> first on 1:45

1 x 1000
    - Did build a 200 IM set continuous

10 x 100 ~ :15sr
    - 1-5 = 50 hard kick into 50 DPS Fr
    - 6-9= 50 hard kick into 50 IMO
    - 10 = IM for time (1:09)

200 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/3500 yds/60 min)

Working in some longer set with varying rest. Didn't really push the stroke part of the 1000. Did some between sets.

Now off to work for the rest of the night and all day tomorrow. Planning on my first OW swim of the season Wednesday with GregJS - gunning for close to 10k, but we'll see how slow I go
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Workout 06/08/13: morning

by , June 8th, 2013 at 12:35 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    200 Fr with snorkel/200 kick
    16 x 25 drills

200 OWSwim counterclockwise
    4 x 100 Quarter's Strong with snorkel plus 100 kick
    200 OWSwim clockwise
    4 x 50 Burst and Crusie
    200 OWSwim counterclockwise
    4 x 25 AFAP on 1:00
    100 EZ and out
    (Masters/Rec/2300 yds/90 min)

Feel ok after yesterday's long swim, as I would expect to feel. Since it was rainy and cool, I just farted around the house and watched some old episodes of Balleykissangel (a BBC series that I haven't watched in a long time). Lena and I went to the graduation for Preston's school and stayed late to send off the exchange students that we have come to know well. Great night!

This morning before practice I met up with the guys in Monday night Bible study for breakfast at a diner over in Hoosick, NY. Great to get together and catch up, although we do a lot of that at our meetings regularly! I didn't eat a ton (well, less than half of what I used to eat) and was able to make it to Masters practice and swim with the group.

We worked on stroke drills for Fr, Bk, and Br, swimming the whole practice without lane lines. As we were finishing, Marie and a friend (Mary?) hopped in and did their own thing in lane six. We took turns leading the 200 "OW" swim and worked on in water turns like we can expect at buoys in a race. Also mixed in some good efforts between these.

Plan for the rest of the weekend is to take it easy. Meet with friends of the family for a surprise 70th birthday party, a motorcycle ride this afternoon with the guys and help my MIL move to a new apartment. More relaxing tomorrow with the chance of another motorcycle ride.

Updated June 8th, 2013 at 10:41 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Workout 06/07/13: noon

by , June 7th, 2013 at 02:26 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    - 1 x 3000 (~45 min)
    - 5 x 100 (alt kick/EZ IM)
    - 4 x 75 on 1:13 (K/S/P)
    - 100 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/4,500 yds/80 min)
    -----------------------------

I was able to sneak into the pool before work on Wednesday for 1,450 yds, nothing grand. We have had two busy days at work made much more relaxed due to our pharmacy student returning, which I am thankful for. I was going to travel to Americade today in Lake George, but my buddy ended up not being able to make the trip and I do not feeling like riding on the motorcycle in the rain.

Today was distance swim day. I string together the Noah's Ark in order to keep track of distance, and mixed in some pulling, agility paddles, snorkel and kicking throughout. Shoulders feel fine but will be doing some extra foam rolling for good measure. The school that Preston goes to has graduation tonight, so I will be there to support the kids then I am planning for a good swim with the Masters group tomorrow morning.

In other news, the group from Great Barrington Mass has posted their Open Water swim schedule for the summer - every Wednesday evening and some weekend swims in the lakes throughout the Berkshires. Not sure how many I'll make this year, but it is always a great time!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Workout 06/04/13: evening

by , June 4th, 2013 at 09:41 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Did not get in a motorcycle but was able to help my wife plant the garden. I was in charge of tilling the east side of the garden and the potatoes while Lena worked in the new raised bed, using the hugelkultur method.

Headed to the pool for Masters tonight with GregJS, Carol, and Erin:

200 swim/200 kick/200 pull
    8 x 25 on :40 (various together)

The "M" set as seen on David C's blog:
    - Pick BASE of 1:20/1:30/1:45 (per hundred) - I did 1:20

Added a 200 IM drill before
    - 2 x 25 sculling then
    - 4 x 50 active recovery and out
    (Masters/Rec/2650 yds/60 min)

Great main set, although my arms were aching from the garden this afternoon. I came in right at 2:40 on the last 200 and 1:20 on last 100, so took an extra :20sr. Now, off to
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Workout 06/04/13: morning

by , June 4th, 2013 at 09:54 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Back in the water after a four day break ...

400 Fr with snorkel/200 Back/200 IM drill
    4 x 50 on :50 (burst and cruise)

10 x 150 on ~2:25
    - 50 = kick into
    - 100 pull w/ buoy (odd) or 100 swim with Agility paddles (even)

4 x 50 on :50
    - 25 FAST IMO into
    - 25 Fr DPS

200 Dolphin Dives in Deep with snorkel as loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2900 yds/50 min)

Busy weekend. Worked all day Friday, then went to my wife's graduation ceremony on Saturday. She completed an AA in Liberal Studies from the Community College of Vermont, and all of the districts walked up north at Norwich University. Lena is the first in her family to complete a college degree and in doing so keep a promise to her grandfather made many years ago. I am so proud of her!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6971_10201327389775097_2096616397_n.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	7588

Back to work on Sunday, when another heavy storm moved in, which is notable only in that the rain overpowered the roof and our brand new pharmacy was taking on water! It was 10 minutes before closing with two customers in line, so I grabbed plastic garbage bags to cover the registers/computers and had to write out hand labels due to a lightning strike that knocked the server out of commission. Leaving late, I headed up to the nursing home (after getting drenched) to lead the service as I do the first Sunday of the month, then back to work to officially close out the day and assess damage. After that, went to church were we celebrated Lena's accomplishment afterwards.

Yesterday I had determined to get up to swim before work, and did so but went back to bed after figuring I wouldn't be able to stay on my feet for 12+ hours. So, four days dry (well, mostly) but very busy. Now a nice day off today, away from high heat and storms, so outside work will be tackled with the hope of a motorcycle ride before Masters practice tonight.

Updated June 4th, 2013 at 10:14 AM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts