View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

My wife and kids motivated me to get my big belly back into the pool after buying a pair of SwiMP3's for Christmas in 2008. I focused on swimming the Peaks To Portland (Maine) 2.4 mile swim in July, 2010, and have added meets and consistent training since then. I mostly swim on my own because I am only able to get together with the local Master's workout group a couple of times a month. I love the backstroke and short free events, and I have a newly discovered fondness for Open Water, having completed my first 10K in Sept '11 and 10 mile in July '12.

My faith in Christ sees me through the exhausting practices and long hours driving to competitions (well, everything day by day, actually), and helps to keep me grounded in the knowledge that the events are only to give me feedback on how my training is progressing. If you're interested, just ask.

------
Check out my swimmer info page here.

1. Peaks to Portland 2011

by , April 11th, 2011 at 09:42 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I signed up today for the Peaks swim, coming up this July. I swam the 2.4 mile Atlantic Ocean swim last year for the first time, which was also my first open water swim. It was great!

The event is not sponsored by USMS that I know of, but it is a great swim in a wonderful small city with lots of stuff to do with the family.

You can get some more info about the event here: http://cumberlandcountyymca.kintera....8AA90B6861DA8D

There is a fundraising component for each swimmer entered, and if you message me I can get that specific info to you.

Participants need to complete a qualifying swim at a local pool to be eligible, and a kayaker is strongly recommended. They start the event in waves of 50, and all swimmers have a timing chip Velcroed around their ankle for timing.

You can read about my adventure last year here: http://michaelleake.blogspot.com/201...-07252010.html

I plan to swim without a wet suit this year, and hope to go under the 50 minute mark. I have a silly notion of trying to swim the Straight of Gilbralter in the next couple of years, and the English Channel within seven years. We'll see how the Lord leads on all of this ...

Updated January 16th, 2012 at 01:24 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events