View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

My wife and kids motivated me to get my big belly back into the pool after buying a pair of SwiMP3's for Christmas in 2008. I focused on swimming the Peaks To Portland (Maine) 2.4 mile swim in July, 2010, and have added meets and consistent training since then. I mostly swim on my own because I am only able to get together with the local Master's workout group a couple of times a month. I love the backstroke and short free events, and I have a newly discovered fondness for Open Water, having completed my first 10K in Sept '11 and 10 mile in July '12.

My faith in Christ sees me through the exhausting practices and long hours driving to competitions (well, everything day by day, actually), and helps to keep me grounded in the knowledge that the events are only to give me feedback on how my training is progressing. If you're interested, just ask.

------
Check out my swimmer info page here.

1. Workout 08/03/13: morning

by , August 3rd, 2013 at 02:15 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Started the morning again over at the college, helping to unload some desks (they had expected two, but ended up getting eight plus some tables and chairs, all donated) then leveling floors on the fourth floor where offices are going in.
    Headed over to the Rec for Masters:

200 Swim, 3 x 50 kick, 3 x 50 pull (all :20 SR)

1 x 400 into 4 x 25 @0:30
    1 x 300 into 4 x 50 @1:15
    1 x 200 into 4 x 75 @ 1:45
    1 x 100 into 4 x 100 @ 2:15
    (200 extra in there for me )
    4 x 50 Active Recovery and out
    (Masters/Rec/2900 yds/75 min)
    -----------------------

Nice workout today with GregJS and Kevin. Been kinda lonely this summer, but we're keeping the water moving The goal on the distance was to work DPS, with the third 1/4 pull, kick, stroke, kick down the list. The repeats were basically AFAP, although modified slightly as the distance increased. I did the last one IM, netting a 4:57 add up. Talked with the guys about getting into a lake, which I've called off for tomorrow.

This afternoon I will be helping with a block party at the Willowbrook housing community through the church plant - they have a huge bouncy obstacle course, some horse rides, hot dogs/snow cones/popcorn, and other games and face painting stations. The weather looks to cooperate so it should be a great afternoon!

Updated August 4th, 2013 at 09:52 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts