View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

My wife and kids motivated me to get my big belly back into the pool after buying a pair of SwiMP3's for Christmas in 2008. I focused on swimming the Peaks To Portland (Maine) 2.4 mile swim in July, 2010, and have added meets and consistent training since then. I mostly swim on my own because I am only able to get together with the local Master's workout group a couple of times a month. I love the backstroke and short free events, and I have a newly discovered fondness for Open Water, having completed my first 10K in Sept '11 and 10 mile in July '12.

My faith in Christ sees me through the exhausting practices and long hours driving to competitions (well, everything day by day, actually), and helps to keep me grounded in the knowledge that the events are only to give me feedback on how my training is progressing. If you're interested, just ask.

------
Check out my swimmer info page here.

1. Workout 1/8/12: I'm a little more than useless

by , January 8th, 2012 at 03:16 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy) - first Sunday dip since last April

w/u:
    200 FR/200 BK
    4 x 100 FR Pull with buoy on 1:30
    4 x 50 kick on 1:00

50 easy before my first ever LT set swiped from qbrain:
    10 x 50 on 3:00
    - did 3 FR, 1 Fly, 1 Back twice through, with 5 deep water bobs between swims
    - 26.72, 26.94, 27.31, 28.94, 29.50, 27.12, 26.81, 27.06, 29.88, 29.63

50 ez before a long 300 w/d
    (1900 yards, 80 min)
    ---------------------

Our pool is open on Sunday's during the winter, and after being sore from yesterdays d-day I decided I would use the "extra" day today to do the LT set. Wow - what was I thinking?! At least I have a short day at work tomorrow - I see an afternoon nap in the works.

I usually see Kevin during the lunchtime and master's swims, and today he came in during the w/u and took interest in what I was planning to do. Good thing - every time I finished a 50 he asked what the time was, and he swam FR when I did the first backstroke. Again, so good to have an accountability partner in the water, which is still hovering at 85.

I noticed on the 3rd free of the LT set that I was not finishing my pull, so I worked to keep up rotation on the following ones. I started to feel the pain after the fly, and it just kept getting worse, just like q said it would. My heart rate did not drop too much, and after the last one I felt as crappy as I did after the 10K this summer. I didn't hurl today, though.

I did a slow warmdown to stretch out, then came home and collapsed on the floor for about 5 minutes before hoping the chair to blog. We are heading to the sister-in-law's house for a birthday party. I am hoping to crash on the couch and sleep during a football game if there is still one on.

I am glad that I did this, because it felt good to just push though the pain and crummy feeling. I will be looking to swipe some more stuff from q leading up to spring champs season - I am interested in joining his gridge with James for the 50 free

Updated February 17th, 2012 at 09:36 PM by rxleakem

Tags: lt 50's
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , LT sets