View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

My wife and kids motivated me to get my big belly back into the pool after buying a pair of SwiMP3's for Christmas in 2008. I focused on swimming the Peaks To Portland (Maine) 2.4 mile swim in July, 2010, and have added meets and consistent training since then. I mostly swim on my own because I am only able to get together with the local Master's workout group a couple of times a month. I love the backstroke and short free events, and I have a newly discovered fondness for Open Water, having completed my first 10K in Sept '11 and 10 mile in July '12.

My faith in Christ sees me through the exhausting practices and long hours driving to competitions (well, everything day by day, actually), and helps to keep me grounded in the knowledge that the events are only to give me feedback on how my training is progressing. If you're interested, just ask.

------
Check out my swimmer info page here.

1. 04/27/13: Monumental Masters Mini Meet (2nd Annual)

by , April 27th, 2013 at 04:10 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Well, months of planning and also some training came and went today as we welcomed swimmers to the local Rec Center pool for our 2nd meet, again dedicated to my mom. We had 34 preregister, one couldn't come, and added 5 same-day entries for a total of 38 swimmers! Last year we had 23, so I am really excited for the increase in numbers.

I got to the pool around 8:30 and helped with setting things up. People started trickling in and warmups began as scheduled at 9am. The local age group team, the Marauders, again did a great job of running the meet for us, providing timers and counters for the 50, and we had three officials altogether.

There was a large contingent from the Pittsfield Polar Bears, some from Smith Collge and also a team out near Blechertown, MA, and other unattached swimmers (Lisa Ann won the farthest distance traveled, coming from New Jersey). It was fun getting to meet new people that share my passion for swimming. My brother, Jeff, swam again - he swam from Springfield College but hasn't been in the water since then, save last year's meet, and looks fresh as a daisy swimming. Stinker! My wife also swam in her first ever meet, rocking out the 50 free and proudly proclaiming afterwards, "I did it, now don't ask me ever again."

In addition to meet director, I coached the three area swimmers that came (GregJS, Jill, and Kevin). Greg dropped time in the 100 free and blasted out a smoking 100 IM - great job again, Greg! Plus, he is a really good chef and made some delicious muffins for the food spread we had in the lobby for swimmers.

I was not sure what to expect myself for times, and I did the 100 breast with Dan during the women's heat so no one swam alone as a warm up for the 100 back. My goal was to SDK 8,7,6,6 off the walls, but only was able to get 5 on the last one as I swam 57.73. I did the 500 fly in 6:48.08, and the 100 fly in 58.72. I'll update the times when the results are official, but all of the these swims were masters best for me!

Lots of great help, a full pool (which is such a great sight to see), and some fun swimming on a gorgeous day made for a memorable event, complete with our signature 25 Sprint Challenges, the Monument Kick and Tarzan swims. Now for a nap! (I was also able to FLOG 2350 yds for the day)

Updated May 7th, 2013 at 11:44 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  2. Workout 12/26/12:

by , December 26th, 2012 at 03:53 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Time to start working off some of the cookies/dinner/desserts that have filled my plate over the past few days:

w/u: 200 FR/200 BK

4 x (with snorkel and agility paddles)
    - 50 kick on 1:00
    - 100 swim on 1:30

2 x 100 Back on 1:30 with agility paddles

Then, since the pool cleared out and I had the time, I tackled a 1000 fly that I worked my way into from the Butterfly Lane. I have not done more than a 200 fly continuous in practice (or meet), so I signed up for this challenge, although I think I fell a tad short. I did:
    - 500 fly (8:03),
    - guzzled some water and stretched out until the next top and
    - 500 fly (7:59)
    (I did mostly DPS fly, with a lap or two of take a stroke and dolphin kick to the other end)

100 ez free with snorkel and agility paddles and out
    (Solo/Rec/2400 yds/45 min)
    -------------------------------------

The pool is back to regular temp (~85), and I was surprised at the lack of swimmers. Folks might still be traveling. I am proud to have swam that much fly all at once, next year I'll try to do a full 1000 without stopping if I lose my mind and think about doing it again. At least I can officially join the butternut crowd.

I had to make some alterations to my blog (remove my background photo from Peaks to Portland and change text color settings) with the new changes. I tried to reload my page, but it didn't help. Probably keep playing with settings to try to make the photo background work. I also had to change the settings for text entry as I was unable to comment with my phone. Went to the advanced (instead of cadilac) editor and now I can continue to chime in on conversations.

Updated December 26th, 2012 at 04:10 PM by rxleakem

Tags: butternut
    Categories
    Swim Workouts