View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

My wife and kids motivated me to get my big belly back into the pool after buying a pair of SwiMP3's for Christmas in 2008. I focused on swimming the Peaks To Portland (Maine) 2.4 mile swim in July, 2010, and have added meets and consistent training since then. I mostly swim on my own because I am only able to get together with the local Master's workout group a couple of times a month. I love the backstroke and short free events, and I have a newly discovered fondness for Open Water, having completed my first 10K in Sept '11 and 10 mile in July '12.

My faith in Christ sees me through the exhausting practices and long hours driving to competitions (well, everything day by day, actually), and helps to keep me grounded in the knowledge that the events are only to give me feedback on how my training is progressing. If you're interested, just ask.

------
Check out my swimmer info page here.

1. Workout 09/23/12: Bball

by , September 23rd, 2012 at 10:52 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Well, true to form, I was better at dribbling than shooting, as evidenced by the foam from my mouth gently falling with the sweat onto my dry-wick tee-shirt!

Played four games over 95 minutes, with a five minute break between games. Haven't played since June, but I am in better running condition (as it were) than the last time I played after an extended break. I even scored 8 points on the night and had a couple of steals. Hopefully we'll keep getting together for games, which happen on Sunday evenings at the Christian School my son goes to. It is a "fun" alternative exercise for me and I enjoy spending the time with my son, who scored 12 points (but who is counting?)

Oh, here are the results from the first night of jelly making - all this from three rounds containing four cups (each) of straight grape juice, and a lot of sugar! I have enough juice made right now to cook up another 6+ batches, which should cap me off for the season. My wife is bartering grapes with one of her friends for farm-fresh eggs and pumpkins.

2. Workout 10/03/11

by , October 3rd, 2011 at 08:10 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy)

w/u 200 FR, 200 BK

4 x 400 (20 SR bwt each)
    - 200 FR Pull w/ Buoy on 2:30 (2:16,:17,:14,:15)
    - 50 Kick on :55
    - 100 IM on 1:40
    - 50 Kick on :55

4 x 50 FR on :45

200 junk w/d

(2400 total)

---------
    Monday night pizza had to wait 40 minutes for me to hop in the pool - I am used to eating cold food anyways. Cool nights coming in Vermont - I have started to make grape jelly and juice with the Concord's in the back yard, and I am looking to try a batch of wine this year as well (my wife enjoys it).

I also plan to get the pellet stove ship shape for some evening burns soon, putting off using the dreaded heating oil as long as I can. It is kind of humorous: my wife and kids are "freezing" and I am fine in shorts and a tee - a good side effect from swimming open water in the Atlantic Ocean and lakes in New England all summer! haha
    Categories
    Swim Workouts