View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

My wife and kids motivated me to get my big belly back into the pool after buying a pair of SwiMP3's for Christmas in 2008. I focused on swimming the Peaks To Portland (Maine) 2.4 mile swim in July, 2010, and have added meets and consistent training since then. I mostly swim on my own because I am only able to get together with the local Master's workout group a couple of times a month. I love the backstroke and short free events, and I have a newly discovered fondness for Open Water, having completed my first 10K in Sept '11 and 10 mile in July '12.

My faith in Christ sees me through the exhausting practices and long hours driving to competitions (well, everything day by day, actually), and helps to keep me grounded in the knowledge that the events are only to give me feedback on how my training is progressing. If you're interested, just ask.

------
Check out my swimmer info page here.

1. Workout 01/24/13: OHS

by , January 24th, 2013 at 09:54 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Cold weather continues, so I was able to take advantage of two factors today: the occupancy in the lanes was sparse and GregJS was available to observe my attempt for the One Hour Swim. With a goal of 4300yds, I pushed off and did ...

0500 5:59.25
    1000 6:22:66
    1500 6:31:67
    2000 7:06.00 (water break)
    2500 6:30.69
    3000 6:32.12
    3500 6:58.38 (water break)
    4000 6:35:62
    4500 6:31.94
    4565 0:51.57

I felt good in the water, and was able to reign in the last third by really focusing on EVF and consistent body roll in route to a regular SPL. This is almost 300 yards more than last year! I kept an eye on Greg as well, and he expanded on his tally from last year as well, so all in all a great contribution from the Bennington Monument Masters to Team New England Masters total for the national championship!

In other news, I also volunteered some time today to help with the age group team in town. I was able to get in an additional 1600 (so total of 6165yds on the day) as I helped to reinforce proper streamlining skills off every wall, and also long-axis body rotation. It is fun to work with the kids, and they again paid attention to me as I helped to be a for fast swimming with less effort.
  2. 1/30/12: Keeping up with the Jones (OHS)

by , January 30th, 2012 at 11:31 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy)

Went the way of the Pony Express today with a one hour swim, and was happy to hear some Waylon Jennings shuffle through on the swimp3 during the "race."

I finished this year with 4275 yards (and 11 seconds to spare), above my expectations of 4k.
    Looking at this pace chart, it averages out to a 1:25/100. Last year I swam 3800 yards (avg ~ 1:35/100), but I stopped more frequently and did some kicking as well.

The swim felt good. I got this morning and had a pb granola bar with a half water/oj drink and headed to the pool after dropping my son off at school. I should have completed this swim by now, but kept putting it off. I can't do it tomorrow, so I needed to either get it in this am or at lunch. The pool was not to busy this morning, so after a 50 easy I started in. Only today and tomorrow to get your Postal on!

I might have been able to squeak in an extra 200 yards, but I stopped once to talk to Scott about the Simon's Rock meet in early March , and I was slowed down at one point when there were 6 of us swimming in the lane. The one guy going elementary back down the middle was annoying, but I just kicked really hard the second time I went around him and he moved over to the next lane (come to think of it, I think I blogged about him before ...)

My 500 splits were: 5:54.15, 6:43.53, 6:29.75, 7:08.90, 7:39.88 (I was talking here), 6:45.65, 7:42.44 (did a bunch of backstroke here), 7:14.59. I stopped for a quick water gulp around minutes 12, 32, and 44, then polished off my water bottle as I hit the showers.

When I got home I shoveled off the driveway - we finally received some more snow (an inch of powder) last night, but it won't last long with a rain shower due in Wednesday. I've been using an online fitness/calorie app that I can access on my phone, and in the past two weeks dropped 10 pounds. I used to just swim as an excuse to eat a lot of junk, but with documenting all the crap I notice I am not going for it as much. Amazing how much sugar is in the things we eat - I can be under my calorie and fat goals for the day but always blow the sugar. I am down to 198, and would like to drop another 10 so that my BMI <25. I don't plan to sink as quickly over the coming months.

Updated January 30th, 2012 at 07:50 PM by rxleakem (Doesn't count for a meet)

Tags: postal
    Categories
    Swim Workouts