View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

My wife and kids motivated me to get my big belly back into the pool after buying a pair of SwiMP3's for Christmas in 2008. I focused on swimming the Peaks To Portland (Maine) 2.4 mile swim in July, 2010, and have added meets and consistent training since then. I mostly swim on my own because I am only able to get together with the local Master's workout group a couple of times a month. I love the backstroke and short free events, and I have a newly discovered fondness for Open Water, having completed my first 10K in Sept '11 and 10 mile in July '12.

My faith in Christ sees me through the exhausting practices and long hours driving to competitions (well, everything day by day, actually), and helps to keep me grounded in the knowledge that the events are only to give me feedback on how my training is progressing. If you're interested, just ask.

------
Check out my swimmer info page here.

1. Workout 06/26/13: noon

by , June 26th, 2013 at 10:52 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Happy to get into the water today, even though I am a little stiff. I was going to get up for a morning swim, but turned off my alarm and slept in. That was nice.

So, I found a workout whilst searching the intertubes as I embarked on open water swimming a few years ago, and find myself coming back to it at various times of the year as an end-of-taper challenge. I pulled it from a post by Nick White at this webiste, which has some good tips on the first page and the workout on the second. I did the main set below:

400 Fr with snorkel/200 Bk/200 IM drill

Power-interval set: 8 x 200 on 2:45
    - 1-4 pull with Agility paddles
    - 5-8 swim focusing on high elbows and catch

Sprint-interval set: 9 x 100 on 1:30 (rotating a 50-yard sprint through the set)
    - 1: 50 sprint, 50 race pace
    - 2: 25 race pace, 50 sprint, 25 race pace
    - 3: 50 race pace, 50 sprint
    Repeat twice

200 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/3500 yds/55 min)
    --------------------------------

Another good kick in the hind-quarters with this workout! I was coming in around 2:30 on the first 4 200's, then about 7 seconds slower on the last four. I took a good Masters Minutes between the Power and Sprint set, and plugged along. By round, I held 1:10, 1:12, 1:15, getting really tired on the last round but I stuck with it.

My day off tomorrow has been replaced with 12 hour shift and an hour drive north (then home) to cover a neighboring store that had a pharmacist quit, so I will be able to get back into the water Friday morning. I'll look forward to that!
    Tags: surge-power
    Categories
    Swim Workouts