View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

My wife and kids motivated me to get my big belly back into the pool after buying a pair of SwiMP3's for Christmas in 2008. I focused on swimming the Peaks To Portland (Maine) 2.4 mile swim in July, 2010, and have added meets and consistent training since then. I mostly swim on my own because I am only able to get together with the local Master's workout group a couple of times a month. I love the backstroke and short free events, and I have a newly discovered fondness for Open Water, having completed my first 10K in Sept '11 and 10 mile in July '12.

My faith in Christ sees me through the exhausting practices and long hours driving to competitions (well, everything day by day, actually), and helps to keep me grounded in the knowledge that the events are only to give me feedback on how my training is progressing. If you're interested, just ask.

------
Check out my swimmer info page here.

1. Workout 03/26/13: evening

by , March 26th, 2013 at 09:51 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Had a good afternoon: helped my wife with the kids that she nanny's and got a nap in, bonus. Then I helped one of the guys from Bible Study with a project: he recently became an ordained preacher and is planting a church in our town. I went door to door with him, inviting folks to an Easter evening service that will also be the first for his church. Not beating folks about the head with the Bible (that doesn't work too well), but just inviting them to come and check out how God is using Peter. I will also help on Sunday by greeting folks at the door and probably ushering - I feel blessed to help him and be involved in this great answer to prayer.

Tonight I finally tried a fun set from JBS's blog: Swedish 2:01. I have been wanting to try it for a while, and figured that GregJS would be the perfect victim, er, companion, to give it a go.

W/u: 100 Fr/100 Bk/100 Kick/100 Pull
    Stole this set from Aquageek: the Swedish 2:01. As he described it:
    "1. Start at the :40
    2. Swim a 100, which has to be completed before the :00 (so, under 1:20)
    3. Start the next 100 at the :41 (hence the 2:01 portion)
    4. Again, this 100 has to be completed by the :00.
    5. Start the next 100 on the :42.
    6. Again, this 100 has to be completed by the :00.
    7. This continues, always starting the 100 2:01 after the previous one and finishing before you see :00 on the clock.
    8. Go until you fail."
    We left on the :30 to start, something that JBS has been doing. I also set it up that if you fail, you drop distance down to 75's. We ran out of time, but we did make it to the :50 sendoff. I basically did rounds of 4 x100:
    1. Fly, Bk, Br (barely made it), Fr
    2. Fly, Bk, IM, Fr
    3. Fly, Bk, IM, Fr
    4. Fly, Bk, IM, Fr
    5. Fly (-2), Bk (+1, fail), IM (+3, fail), Fr (went 1:03)

50 Easy and out.
    (Masters/Rec/2450 yds/60 min)
    --------------------------------------

Glad I was finally able to do that set. As JBS had explained in one of his posts, it seems "fine" for a bit in the beginning, but then the :00 starts to come at you super fast and the extra rest doesn't seem to be all that helpful! I figured I would only be able to sneak in one full Br, so switched to IM's. I noticed that time was running out for practice so I loafed the last Bk, but I was honestly trying to make the last IM. Then I wanted to make the last one a fast one, and it hurt.

In oddball news, I finished the jug of Cookies and Cream whey protein powder that I bought - it was nasty and I just wanted to get through it! Back to regular old chocolate, which I sometimes add a smidge of peanut butter to. I got an email that it will change from 26 grams of protein per scoop to 30 soon, and I might try the strawberry flavor when that happens. I almost always mix it with 3 ounces of skim milk, and I was able to get a knockoff Magic Blender from Aldi's for $15 so mixing is a breeze. After every workout, so today I drank two.
    Now off to
    Tags: swedish 2:01
    Categories
    Swim Workouts