View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

My wife and kids motivated me to get my big belly back into the pool after buying a pair of SwiMP3's for Christmas in 2008. I focused on swimming the Peaks To Portland (Maine) 2.4 mile swim in July, 2010, and have added meets and consistent training since then. I mostly swim on my own because I am only able to get together with the local Master's workout group a couple of times a month. I love the backstroke and short free events, and I have a newly discovered fondness for Open Water, having completed my first 10K in Sept '11 and 10 mile in July '12.

My faith in Christ sees me through the exhausting practices and long hours driving to competitions (well, everything day by day, actually), and helps to keep me grounded in the knowledge that the events are only to give me feedback on how my training is progressing. If you're interested, just ask.

------
Check out my swimmer info page here.

1. Workout 03/29/14: morning

by , March 29th, 2014 at 10:38 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I had a couple of good days at work, then attended the last hour of class Thursday night. I had three chances to swim yesterday, and didn't. Went to a concert for a couple of girls from Preston's school that are heading to Ireland this summer - that was fun and we won a basket with breakfast goodies!

This morning I made it back to the college for a work day, finally finishing the tiling of the downstairs two bathrooms and then helping with painting on the fourth floor. Then I headed to Masters practice and joined eight other swimmers

w/u: 200 Swim/200 Pull/200 Kick/100 swim

Now for fun with Swimopoly:

We ended up doing:
    4 x 25 choice
    4 x 12.5 AFAP
    4 x 50 b/c
    2 x 100 (kick/pull) (I did an extra 50)
    3 x 100 back
    300 Negative Split
    200 Free Relay (me vs the two teams), in place of going to Jail
    6 x 50 Best Average on 2:00

100 loosen and out
    (Masters/Rec/2600 yds/90 min)
    ------------------------------------

I borrowed this idea from a tweet I saw a while ago and adjusted it to the abilities of our workout group. Instead of using dice to "roll" through the board, we used Greg's stopwatch and the last digit = move. There was enough variety and opportunity to adjust that everyone did the Swimopoly game, even those that typically just swim on their own. It was great fun!
    Tags: swimopoly
    Categories
    Swim Workouts