View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

My wife and kids motivated me to get my big belly back into the pool after buying a pair of SwiMP3's for Christmas in 2008. I focused on swimming the Peaks To Portland (Maine) 2.4 mile swim in July, 2010, and have added meets and consistent training since then. I mostly swim on my own because I am only able to get together with the local Master's workout group a couple of times a month. I love the backstroke and short free events, and I have a newly discovered fondness for Open Water, having completed my first 10K in Sept '11 and 10 mile in July '12.

My faith in Christ sees me through the exhausting practices and long hours driving to competitions (well, everything day by day, actually), and helps to keep me grounded in the knowledge that the events are only to give me feedback on how my training is progressing. If you're interested, just ask.

------
Check out my swimmer info page here.

1. Workout 11/23/12:

by , November 23rd, 2012 at 08:27 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u 200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill

10 x 100 as:
    - odds = Kick at 1:45
    - evens = FR at 1:30 Pull with buoy

1 x 50 EZ
    Now time for a seasonal treat courtesy of Swimsuit Addict

Did the whole thing again this year, including the kicking "dessert" at the end. There were a couple of college girls swimming when I first started, but both were out as I got halfway through the main feast. Again this year I have to say that the two 50 flys on the last rep are more daungthing than the two 100 flys in the beginning, due mostly to intensity level. During the kick set I just swam full chicken (breaststroke) in order to make the intervals.

Finished off with 200 ez and out
    (Solo/Rec/3900 yds/70 minutes)
    ----------------------

Great way to get back into the swim of things after the holiday yesterday. Been a busy week so far - picked up Emma as planned on Tuesday night, then hit Red Robin (Yummm) on the way home for a late night meal. I worked on Wednesday, but Emma went shopping with me after work to pick up veggies and cheese for our appetizers contribution to a Thanksgiving feast at my brother's house. Able to catch up with a lot of relatives that I don't normally see and helped to reduce the amount of leftovers in the process. Watched some Thanksgiving cartoons with the kids when we got home.

This is my weekend off, so today I slept in and swam at lunchtime. I am not one for the crazy shopping early in the morning, even though KMart and Walmart here in town had *three* different sales, starting Thursday, Thursday night into Friday morning, then early today. That stuff really is for the birds! After swimming we did a quick raking/clean up outside and I retrieved the Christmas decorations to put up tomorrow. Finally, I went for what will be my last motorcycle ride of the year today, a nice hour-long jaunt while enjoying weather in the lower 50's.

Now off to find some leftover pie
    Tags: turducken
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Turducken - I'm stuffed

by , November 26th, 2011 at 12:41 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    With Master's group at the Rec (scy)

Today was Turducken Day, courtesy of swimsuit addict for the group, and we had a total four folks (of eight) give it a shot ...

Turducken set: A turducken is a turkey that is stuffed with a duck, which in turn has been stuffed with a chicken. Iíve never tasted one, but I feel like Iíve been reading about them as a novelty food item for at least a decade. The latest article I saw about turducken was not about food at all, but about privacy law, and ever since I read it, the word has been rolling around in my head. So I decided I would assemble stroke turduckens by stuffing a 50 of one stroke into the middle of a 100 of another stroke, then sticking the whole thing into a 200 of yet another stroke. I did four rounds of these; on the first, turkey=fly, duck=back, and chicken=breast; the strokes rotate through the IM thereafter. The set looked like this:
    4 x 350 @ :30-:40 rest interval
    1st 350=100 FL/50 BK/50 BR/50 BK/100 FL
    2nd 350=100 BK/50 BR/50 FR/50 BR/100 BK
    3rd 350=100 BR/50 FR/50 FL/50 FR/100 BR
    4th 350=100 FR/50 FL/50 BK/50 FL/100 FR
    On each round I aimed to do the middle 50 at 200 IM pace; the 50 before it as build and the 50 after it as recovery, and the turkey 100s at the front and back at basic aerobic pace.
    After we readjusted our suits, we went on to:
    7 x 100 on 2:00
    -----

I am thankful that this 2100 main set was done - I am used to my shoulders aching after a workout, but not this badly during it! haha The most continuous Fly I have done since HS has been 75 in a set, so this was a test. I thought that the 100's would be the worst, but the 50's on the last (two) did me in. But .... I made them all doing full stroke, so I am very happy with that. Also, my abs were sore!

I added a 600 w/u before the fun, and since I was one up at the end of the Turduken I went back for seconds, swimming just the last rep for a total of 5 completed. I took some great advice from from SB212 on the breastroke legs:
    Quote Originally Posted by swimmerb212
    Yay! I hope you all enjoy it! Breaststroke isn't that bad, just keep your head looking down and love that glide!
    I kicked the 100's (FR, BK, DK, full breast stroke, FR, BK, DK), and came in around 1:40 each time. I can really notice a difference in my kicking stamina and speed since really incorporating it into my workouts over the last few months.

Close that with a 250 easy warmdown and I hit 3300 yards in just over 1 hour. Not bad! Off to put up the Christmas tree and get the lights set up outside. All the while enjoying the beautiful day we are having here - over 50 degrees and sun shining! Have a great day everyone.

Tags: turducken
    Categories
    Swim Workouts