View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

My wife and kids motivated me to get my big belly back into the pool after buying a pair of SwiMP3's for Christmas in 2008. I focused on swimming the Peaks To Portland (Maine) 2.4 mile swim in July, 2010, and have added meets and consistent training since then. I mostly swim on my own because I am only able to get together with the local Master's workout group a couple of times a month. I love the backstroke and short free events, and I have a newly discovered fondness for Open Water, having completed my first 10K in Sept '11 and 10 mile in July '12.

My faith in Christ sees me through the exhausting practices and long hours driving to competitions (well, everything day by day, actually), and helps to keep me grounded in the knowledge that the events are only to give me feedback on how my training is progressing. If you're interested, just ask.

------
Check out my swimmer info page here.

1. Workout 06/07/13: noon

by , June 7th, 2013 at 03:26 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill
    - 1 x 3000 (~45 min)
    - 5 x 100 (alt kick/EZ IM)
    - 4 x 75 on 1:13 (K/S/P)
    - 100 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/4,500 yds/80 min)
    -----------------------------

I was able to sneak into the pool before work on Wednesday for 1,450 yds, nothing grand. We have had two busy days at work made much more relaxed due to our pharmacy student returning, which I am thankful for. I was going to travel to Americade today in Lake George, but my buddy ended up not being able to make the trip and I do not feeling like riding on the motorcycle in the rain.

Today was distance swim day. I string together the Noah's Ark in order to keep track of distance, and mixed in some pulling, agility paddles, snorkel and kicking throughout. Shoulders feel fine but will be doing some extra foam rolling for good measure. The school that Preston goes to has graduation tonight, so I will be there to support the kids then I am planning for a good swim with the Masters group tomorrow morning.

In other news, the group from Great Barrington Mass has posted their Open Water swim schedule for the summer - every Wednesday evening and some weekend swims in the lakes throughout the Berkshires. Not sure how many I'll make this year, but it is always a great time!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Workout 06/04/13: evening

by , June 4th, 2013 at 10:41 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Did not get in a motorcycle but was able to help my wife plant the garden. I was in charge of tilling the east side of the garden and the potatoes while Lena worked in the new raised bed, using the hugelkultur method.

Headed to the pool for Masters tonight with GregJS, Carol, and Erin:

200 swim/200 kick/200 pull
    8 x 25 on :40 (various together)

The "M" set as seen on David C's blog:
    - Pick BASE of 1:20/1:30/1:45 (per hundred) - I did 1:20

Added a 200 IM drill before
    - 2 x 25 sculling then
    - 4 x 50 active recovery and out
    (Masters/Rec/2650 yds/60 min)
    --------------------------------

Great main set, although my arms were aching from the garden this afternoon. I came in right at 2:40 on the last 200 and 1:20 on last 100, so took an extra :20sr. Now, off to
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Workout 06/04/13: morning

by , June 4th, 2013 at 10:54 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Back in the water after a four day break ...

400 Fr with snorkel/200 Back/200 IM drill
    4 x 50 on :50 (burst and cruise)

10 x 150 on ~2:25
    - 50 = kick into
    - 100 pull w/ buoy (odd) or 100 swim with Agility paddles (even)

4 x 50 on :50
    - 25 FAST IMO into
    - 25 Fr DPS

200 Dolphin Dives in Deep with snorkel as loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2900 yds/50 min)
    ----------------------------

Busy weekend. Worked all day Friday, then went to my wife's graduation ceremony on Saturday. She completed an AA in Liberal Studies from the Community College of Vermont, and all of the districts walked up north at Norwich University. Lena is the first in her family to complete a college degree and in doing so keep a promise to her grandfather made many years ago. I am so proud of her!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6971_10201327389775097_2096616397_n.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	7588

Back to work on Sunday, when another heavy storm moved in, which is notable only in that the rain overpowered the roof and our brand new pharmacy was taking on water! It was 10 minutes before closing with two customers in line, so I grabbed plastic garbage bags to cover the registers/computers and had to write out hand labels due to a lightning strike that knocked the server out of commission. Leaving late, I headed up to the nursing home (after getting drenched) to lead the service as I do the first Sunday of the month, then back to work to officially close out the day and assess damage. After that, went to church were we celebrated Lena's accomplishment afterwards.

Yesterday I had determined to get up to swim before work, and did so but went back to bed after figuring I wouldn't be able to stay on my feet for 12+ hours. So, four days dry (well, mostly) but very busy. Now a nice day off today, away from high heat and storms, so outside work will be tackled with the hope of a motorcycle ride before Masters practice tonight.

Updated June 4th, 2013 at 11:14 AM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Workout 05/30/13: evening

by , May 30th, 2013 at 07:57 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    200 FR/200 Bk

With snorkel. Swim w/ Agility Paddles. Pull w/ buoy.
    Kick-Swim-Pull
    050 - 100 - 150
    100 - 150 - 200
    150 - 200 - 250
    100 - 150 - 200

200 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2400 yds/45 min)

Took a nap after the morning swim, and did some errands this afternoon. I was supposed to meet a friend after dinner tonight, but that was postponed so I decided to get in an extra swim in during this shortened week. Lots of company tonight, but the lane thinned out after 30 minutes or so.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Workout 05/30/13: morning

by , May 30th, 2013 at 10:51 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    200 FR/200 IM drill

1 x 1000 with snorkel, done as:
    - Noah's Ark Pull with buoy into
    - Noah's Ark with Agility Paddles

Two times thru:
    - 4 x 125 on 2:00(25 k/75 strong stroke/25 pull w/ buoy)
    - 1 x 100 Dolphin Dives in Deep

10 x 50 on :45
    - With Agility Paddles: 2 Fr, 1 Bk (perfect stroke, aerobic)

100 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/3200 yds/55 min)

Tue and Thurs starts with Adult Swim at the Rec from 8-9am, but I am finding that it almost never opens on time. Oh well. Steve was there this morning, along with the dude he "encountered" last week, so I went to the middle lane where we split the whole time. Nice mix of distance transitioning into shorter stuff with stroke work.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. 05/29/1: evening

by , May 29th, 2013 at 09:13 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Got in before Bible Study and the current heavy thunderstorm that is overhead for:

-200 IM drill w/u

1 x 400 FR (neg split - missed by 2 sec)
    1 x 50 FAST
    1 x 300 IM
    2 x 50 Fast
    1 x 200 FR Pull w/ buoy (neg split - accomplished)
    3 x 50 FAST
    1 x 100 IM
    4 x 50 FAST
    (Distance on :20 SR, 50's on :30 SR)

2 x Noah's Ark on 7:00
    - 1st = pull w/ buoy (6:31)
    - 2nd = swim (6:23)

200 Loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2900 yds/50 min)

Kinda tired, as this is my first double in a few weeks. Went during the combo family/lap swim; only for the last Ark did I have to avoid kids, which was nice. With this weather, I suppose no hot tub - but ice cream for sure
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Workout 05/29/13: morning

by , May 29th, 2013 at 11:11 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    200 FR/200 Bk/200 IM drill

With snorkel. Swim w/ Agility Paddles. Pull w/ buoy.
    Kick-Swim-Pull
    050 - 100 - 100
    100 - 100 - 200
    150 - 100 - 300
    200 - 100 - 400

4 x 50 on 1:00 warm down
    (Solo/Rec/2700 yds/50 min)

Work was closed on Monday for Memorial Day, which I spent watching the parade in town and then going for a nice motorcycle ride as I remembered the sacrifice of many so that we can enjoy the freedoms we do here in America. Very busy yesterday as we tried to cram two days of work into one; ended up doing 1.75 days. Nice loosen-out swim this morning., with some more planned a bit later.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Workout 05/25/13: morning

by , May 25th, 2013 at 02:11 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Great day helping my son's class with a Serve-A-Thon at Christ the King, a camp area about an hour northwest of town. Beautiful area for a getaway; we helped to plant one of the gardens then picked stones out of a cornfield. Best part was the delicious lunch that we were served - full salad buffet, soup, hot and cold lunch options, and cookies! After helping the HOPE church with Juicy Fruit Kids Club at 6pm, Preston and I went to a concert at his school. Poor promotion of three great Christian bands: Brother Joseph (a local guy we know), The Jelly Rox (eletronica), and Kardia (rock/punk on par with Paramore). Great night complete with a Taco Bell run (where the two kids preparing food were beyond belief and about ready to deck each other - not sure what that was all about, but entertaining none the less).

Rain hampered our attempt for a get together after Masters this morning, but five folks came out. I joined them for warmups, then the main set, then finished off while they headed for the locker rooms.

200 Fr/200 BK/100 IM drill
    Main Set:
    1 x 100 (80%)
    1 x 75 (K/S/P)
    1 x 200 (Neg Split:went 1:13, :10)
    2 x 75 (K/S/P)
    1 x 300 (did IM)
    2 x 75 (K/S/P)
    1x 200 (Neg Split: went 1:10, :07)
    1 x 75 (K/S/P)
    1 x 100 (AFAP: went :59)

Then 2 x 50 "pod swimming" (middle guy leads, then one guy on each side, hanging by hips with a few bumps to the leader for good measure). I wanted to do a full-pool paceline where the caboose has to sprint to the front of on each lap, but only three of us were left, so we did these drag races instead).

Then I did solo:
    1 x Noah's Ark (1:06 on last fast 100)
    4 x 50 on :55 warmdown
    (Masters/Rec/2700 yds/60 min)

NIce swim with the group. I was on deck helping with some strokework drills, then was able to swim and talk to folks between reps. That main set is nice, as I seem to be gravitating to the 75's as a great distance to really lay down some high-intensity stuff then use the longer stuff to work on technique as active recovery. I'm pleased with the fast 100's at the end of the main set and Ark.

Rainy and cold in Vermont (44 degrees right now!), but I'll head downtown in a bit to take in Mayfest, where Main Street is shut down and tons of vendors, food, and music takes over for the day. My friend's band, Immune Friction, is playing so I'll take in lunch at the local fish 'n chip shop and catch them for a bit while dodging raindrops and seeing what is available. Too bad the weather is not great, most years this fest brings in 10,000+ visitors to our town.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Workout 05/23/13: morning

by , May 23rd, 2013 at 10:58 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Took yesterday off from swimming and projects around the house - my body is beat. I did get delivery of wood pellets for the winter, so my Lochte-inspired drylands will start shortly - I plan to toss 50 x 40# down into the cellar then restack the same, then will have 3 more ton to do the same (but with help, I hope).

200 FR/200 Bk/200 IM drill

With snorkel (except last swim):
    Kick - Swim
    050 - 100
    100 - 200 with pull buoy
    150 - 300 with Agility paddles
    200 - 400 IM

10 x 50 on :45 (Fr, except Bk on #4 and 8)
    200 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2550 yds/50 min)

There goes getting a solid hour in for practice! Haha - not by choice though, the office staff was running a tad late. Was able to split lane for most of the swim, and there was some drama when Steve was cut off by another swimmer that has a tendency to drift around. I was happy to wear my snorkel, as when the other dude came clost to me he clocked the plastic instead of my skull!

Mostly a recovery swim, focusing on a long main set with no stops. Lena gave me a massage this morning - I've been doing a lot of lifting and bending with the outside stuff, so just trying to stay as loose as possible. Tomorrow we are helping out with Preston's class and their Serve-a-thon at a summer camp in NY, a little over an hour away, so I will probably won't swim. Saturday I'll coach/swim with the team, then coast into the remainder of weekend.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Workout 05/21/13: evening

by , May 21st, 2013 at 11:18 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill/100 drill

8 x 50 Quarters Stong on :55
    - 1-4 Fr, go on next top
    - 5-8 = IM order

Go FOUR times through:
    -250 FR on 3:30 (technique work - EVF)
    - 150 Pull with buoy on 2:00 (fast, focus on finish of stroke)
    - 50 kick (recovery)
    - go on next top

4 x 75 on 1:20
    - 25 stroke, 25 build FR, 25 ez free
    - last once done as loosen and out
    (Masters/Rec/3000 yds/60 min)

I have had a productive first two days of vacation.* One raised-bed garden in (need to buy some more materials for the second one), fire pit with two benches done, and lawned mowed.* I only need to complete some minor landscaping around the house (pea gravel, mulch, etc).* The rain has held off for the most part, although it has been very humid, so I should have all of my projects completed tomorrow, then I will finish by hanging up the hamock and taking a nap!

Good swim tonight. I altered the distances a tad but kept the same interval as the group, which was busy for us (Carol, GregJS, Kevin, and Tim were there).* I had everyone try their hand at the Agility Paddles to see how they felt - they ara a great aid in reinforcing the EVF concept and helping to feel swimming without the "S."* Thunderstorms now, so I'll retire without a hot tub session, although I will still have some ice cream!

Oh, and I received an email that I will be able to register for Peaks to Portland in Maine this year.* It will be my fourth, and I have a feeling that they reduced the entries from last year as it filled up two months earlier.* It is a nice long weekend for me to visit my kayaker and his family up there, and also to swim with my buddies JBS and slknight (although I am not sure if they are doing it this year).

Updated May 21st, 2013 at 11:29 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Workout 05/20/13: noon

by , May 20th, 2013 at 02:56 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Had a productive and busy weekend at work, and now I have vacation until after Memorial Day

200 Fr/200 BK/200 IM drill
    4 x 50 on :50 (burst and cruise IMO 12.5 yds, then DPS the rest)

4 x 100 on 1:20 (snorkel and Agility Paddles)
    4 x 25 IMO on :30
    1 x 400 on 5:30 (snorkel)
    4 x 50 on :45, into 4 x 50 on :40
    2 x 200 on 2:40 (snorkel and pull buoy)
    4 x 25 IM order on :30

4 x 75 on 1:20 (25 kick, 25 IMO "perfect stroke", 25 pull w/ buoy
    50 loosen
    4 x 75 on 1:15 (as above)
    50 loosen
    4 x 75 on 1:10 (as above)

1 x Noah's Ark, but used the last 100 as loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/4300 yds/80 min)
    ------------------------

The water, although a tad warm, felt soo good today. I same the main set from the Masters workout over the weekend, which has a nice mixture of distances and focuses all the while pounding out 4 x 500 pretty much on base. Since I was able to get into the adult swim early and it was quiet, I added the 75 set at the end.

As is customary, the weather for the week is not all too great, but I have plans to work on some outside projects (firepit, two raised-bed gardens, some landscaping) so no big deal if I get wet. Swim-wise, I am on pace to ramp up yardage by committing to at least four one-hour practices a week including one long swim in preparation for OW season and the Kingdom 10 mile swim the first weekend of July. I would like to hit Lake Paren before the end of the week for a cold first splash of the year. Also, the meet from April has been correctly uploaded to the meet database - results are here: http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/meet....=20130427vermY
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Workout 05/16/13: evening

by , May 16th, 2013 at 10:46 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Had a nice day and lunch with my wife. We got home and a large limb of the maple tree that straddles the neighbor and our own driveway fell off into our driveway. Funny how it has always been "their" tree, except now when some more limbs clearly need to be taken down. Didn't hit the house, but some of you might remember this as being the tree that was struck by lightning a couple of summers ago, the "blast" from which tore through my house and send my wife on the porch sailing through space. Oh well, I cut it up and stacked it with the other campfire wood we have out back for smores night.

Borrowed another swim from kiefer.com as they have been tweeting at me lately and suggested it. I felt some more motivation tonight for:
    Warm Up:
    200 easy swim free
    300 IM - 25 kick, 25 drill, 25 swim
    200 - alternating 25 scull, 25 swim choice
    4 x 25 build, choice - at least 2 have to be non-free
    (800 yards)

Main set:
    4 x 75 pull choice with paddles and buoy, first length easy, middle length build, last length of each hard - :15 rest
    (300 yards, 1100 cumulative yards)

6 x 200 completed as a repeating pattern of 1 build swim choice, 1 hard swim choice, 1 moderate kick with board and fins - take :20 rest after each. Push the swim, recover on the kick.
    (1200 yards, 2300 cumulative yards)

4 x 25 hard kick - board, no fins - :10 rest
    4 x 25 hard pull - buoy, no paddles - :10 rest
    4 x 25 hard swim - all out, mix up the strokes - :10 rest
    (300 yards, 2600 cumulative yards)

200 easy and out
    (Solo/Rec/2800 yds/60 min)

Nice workout, especially since I didn't have to think very hard to come up with it. Since I write a lot of workouts, it is nice to just grab one and swim it every now and again.

I felt a little sluggish in the water. Taking a note from sickfish's blog (where has he been, anyways?), I ate pizza and some cheezey breadsticks around 5ish, then played hoops with my son for 20 minutes around 6:30. First time that he has legitimately beaten me in bball. Anyways, every turn of those 200's reminded me of garlic and dough, but I kept pushing on. GregJS was there tonight (this is family swim/lap time, and he has mentioned it is dead - only two others in the whole pool tonight besides us), and when I mentioned that I could feel my belly jiggling off each way he told me to it was like an "internal drag suit." I guess it'll help with OW training in some way (just getting through).

I'll be dry through the weekend due to work, and plan to help out with the marathon in our community Sunday before work parking cars. Robert, the director, is also a swimmer on our team and helped this year with timing, and we both helped the cyclocross club with their event in the fall. I try to support the other adult fitness ventures in the area.

Updated May 16th, 2013 at 11:49 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Workout 05/16/13: morning

by , May 16th, 2013 at 10:44 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Very little motivation for a swim this morning, but went after dropping my son off at school for a swim that I made even shorter by getting out early.

200 FR/200 BK/200 IM drill

10 x 100
    - odds = kick on 1:50
    - evens = swim on 1:30 (Fr/IM/Fr/Bk/Fr)

1 x Noah's Ark swim
    50 EZ and out
    (Solo/Rec/2150 yds/40 min)
    ---------------------

Yesterday I was able to get the grass mowed and a cat nap in before getting my son from school. Had a low-key afternoon before going to Bible Study, then met with a friend to help him set up his tablet. The funny part was that it took him 20 minutes to figure out an email address for Google in order to use the blasted thing! Planning to have an easy day (Lena wants to go over to Albany to do some shopping), then swim again tonight.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Workout 05/15/13: morning

by , May 15th, 2013 at 10:50 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    400 FR with snorkel/200 BK/200 IM drill

Slap on snorkel for:
    K --- Pull with Buoy
    050 - 100
    100 - 150
    150 - 200
    200 - 300
    150 - 400
    100 - 100
    050 - 050

50 Back easy and out
    (Solo/Rec/2950 yds/50 min)
    --------------------------

Nice stretch-out swim today in a crowded lane. Worked on technique with the pulls and tried to push the kicks. I was going to keep increasing the swim distance but was running out of time. It has been below freezing during the past few mornings here in Vermont, and the potential for the third straight season of sub-par apple crops is likely. I covered half of our grapevines and we took some potted plants inside. The past five or so years we have seen beautiful weather in early May, but then a cold snap will move in and kill off all the buds. They always say that it is best to be patient and plant the garden around Memorial Day to avoid the frost around these parts; we have always listened.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Workout 05/13/13: morning

by , May 13th, 2013 at 10:40 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Had a great weekend - went out for a nice motorcycle ride to break in the new tires, had some swimming, then two really good church services (in the morning the pastor looked at 2 Kings 4:8-37 and in the evening we looked at 2 Tim 1:3-7; both portraits of loving mothers stepping out on faith). To honor my wife, I made crepes and my son picked some wild flowers, which we served her in bed. Then a quiet day, which was fine with me!

Saw this workout from the Kiefer.com email/tweet and gave it a go this morning:

400 FR with snorkel/200 Back/200 IM Drill

Go THREE times through on base:
    - 100 Pull with buoy
    - 2 x 50 Kick
    - 4 x 25 Swim
    - 200 swim with Agility paddles
    (I added the buoy and paddles, and did all with snorkel)

4 x 50 on :55
    - DPS free down
    - FAST IMO back

200 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2700 yds/50 min)
    --------------------
    Fun repeating workout, and nice to not have to think one up every now and again. Focused on swimming with more intensity each time through, and using the 200 as recovery.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Workout 05/11/13: morning

by , May 11th, 2013 at 02:49 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Nice dip with the masters team today. Since a majority of the swimmers do not seem to be interested in competition, I have changed up my strategy: I'll warm up with team, hop out of the water for a period of instruction, then join back in for the rest of the workout. Today is a drizzley kinda day, and only Kevin, Jill, and GregJS made it out. I did:

W/u: 200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IMdrill/100 FR fast/200 kick
    Then got back in for:
    150 FR
    4 x 50 on 1:00 (odds = EZ, evens = fast)
    3 x 100 on 2:00 (descend: Fr = 1:14, :06, :01)
    2 x 150 on 3:00 (50 EZ, 50 FAST, 50 EZ)

With lack of numbers, we just talked a bit about OW sighting in place of some paceline swimming. Then I finished off with:
    8 x 75 on 1:15 (25 kick/25 FAST/25 pull with buoy)
    -1-4 = FR
    -5-8 = IMO
    150 EZ and out
    (Masters/Rec/2600 yds/60 min)
    ---------------------------
    Planning to have a "potluck" after practice in two weeks with some snack food. Our focus will be on incorporating OW training and preparation, as a majority of our swimmers are triathletes. It gets even tougher to attract people to the pool when the weather turns nice, so hopefully this focus should help remind folks we are still in the water.

Was able to watch some more swimming on the live stream - a great 500 heat as well as Fort teen hammering the 100 breast. It is such a great tool to have in order to stay involved with the action in Indy.

Also, I would like to wish all you ladies out there a Happy Mother's Day tomorrow. Even if you don't have any kids, the example and guidance that you provide to those around you is a great support. Thank you

Updated May 11th, 2013 at 05:44 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Workout 05/10/13: morning

by , May 10th, 2013 at 10:46 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill

2 x 500 on 7:00
    - Snorkel and Agility paddles on first
    - Snorkel on second

4 x 75 on 1:15
    - 25 kick/25 FAST IMO/25 Fr Pull with buoy
    4 x 50 on :45
    - Quarters Strong Fr
    200 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2300 yds/40 min)
    Busy two days at work - thankfully it is my short week. Spent over 90 minutes on the phone yesterday with an insurance company issue, so other work had to be stopped. I don't like it when the production stops at my end. These things happen, I suppose. A good swim today was just the trick to help with stress reduction. Not sure if I will swim later, but I do plan on hopping in with the team tomorrow morning after some instruction. It's been great following the Natsy folks online - looking forward to some live-stream today.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Workout 05/07/13: evening

by , May 8th, 2013 at 12:03 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    300 Swim/100 Kick/100 Pull

Did the "W" set that David posted recently.
    300-200-100-50-100-200-100-50-100-200-300
    - did this on my Base (:40/50 yds)
    - added 20 SR after the last 200 since I came in right at 2:40
    - 1700 of aerobic fun in this set - I liked it.

100 social kick
    5 x "2-turn" 50's choice on 1:00
    100 social kick
    100 loosen and out
    (Masters/Rec/2775 yds/60 min)
    ------------------------------------

I received the results from our Monumental Meet last month - updated my blog with them. Emailed them out to the participants and also to the TT folks for addition to the USMS database. Will post a copy of the pdf the LMSC NE forum post as well.

It is always a great joy to get in with the team, to visit and also get some serious lane space. GregJS, Carol, and Tim were there tonight - four of us in the whole 6 lane pool.

I will plan to be dry through Friday. I wanted to take a moment and wish all of you bloggers/forumites a hardy "Swim Fast" at Indy this weekend - I'll be trying to catch as much as I can from the live stream.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Workout 05/07/13: noon

by , May 7th, 2013 at 02:25 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    400 FR with snorkel/200 BK/200 IM drill

K --- Pull with Buoy
    050 - 100
    100 - 200
    150 - 300
    200 - 400

5 x 100 fr on 1:20 with agility paddles and snorkel

200 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/3000 yds/50 min)
    -----------------------------

Great day trip to Philly last week to see our daughter. Been dry since then, and ok with it. Nursing home ministry and church on Sunday, and another excellent study last night with the men's group. Today I volunteered at teacher appreciation day at my son's school - thanks to all you teachers out there. Motorcycle should be ready today from the shop, complete with brake service and new tires front and back. This swim puts me over 100 miles for the year.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Workout 05/01/13: evening

by , May 1st, 2013 at 10:36 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Hey, I was able to get into the water a second time today!

200 FR/200 BK/200 IM drill
    10 x 100 FR (on 1:20 - 1:40 sendoff)
    100 float
    300 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2000 yds/40 min)
    ------------------------

I was able to accomplish a lot today, including charging the lawn mower battery with the trickle charge for my motorcycle and also helping my wife with some projects, and my son mentioned that there was a lap swim tonight before Bible Study. I forgot that the Rec has added 2 lanes for laps during the family swims, so I had the treat of a second splash.

Split the lane with my son and another for about 15 minutes before a mom and three kids decided to swim "laps." I finished the 100's, and was going to "Build a 200 IM" but scratched that - all I gotta say is that signs are clearly posted that private swim lessons are prohibited, and that is what was going on. After almost pushing off on a 5 year old that jumped just before I flipped at the wall, I tried to remind them what the circle swimming concept is, and it did not sink in. I'll mention that to the director next week when I see her.

Oh well, I was able to sneak in an extra 2k yds, while Preston swam 500! Not sure why, but my family has gotten the swim bug lately. Pretty cool!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast