View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

My wife and kids motivated me to get my big belly back into the pool after buying a pair of SwiMP3's for Christmas in 2008. I focused on swimming the Peaks To Portland (Maine) 2.4 mile swim in July, 2010, and have added meets and consistent training since then. I mostly swim on my own because I am only able to get together with the local Master's workout group a couple of times a month. I love the backstroke and short free events, and I have a newly discovered fondness for Open Water, having completed my first 10K in Sept '11 and 10 mile in July '12.

My faith in Christ sees me through the exhausting practices and long hours driving to competitions (well, everything day by day, actually), and helps to keep me grounded in the knowledge that the events are only to give me feedback on how my training is progressing. If you're interested, just ask.

------
Check out my swimmer info page here.

1. Workout 04/12/13: eve

by , April 12th, 2013 at 07:12 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    The strange day/week continues. Got to the pool, guard runnijg late due to track practice. (I know, but it is true ). My hour swim cut down to 30min was not horrible, as we did some group sharing in the back hallway. Planned to do a IM test set from PWB, but did the first part only and got out.

200 fr
    4 x 50 IMO on 1min
    200 ez
    200 IM
    200 ez and out
    (Solo/Rec/1000 yds/15 min)
    -------------------------------

Not that the times were spectacular, with 4 people in the lane, but I guess my watch didn't save the splits. Poo.

Had grilled cheese and tomato soup for dinner, thanks to Lena.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Workout 04/12/13: noon

by , April 12th, 2013 at 02:53 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Wednesday before work I was able to sneak in 1600 yds in 25 minutes, which was a nice treat. Busy couple of days, along with some issues at home has led to sleepless nights and a bit of stress. It was nice the beginning of the week (like, in the 60's with sunshine), but now it is 38 with sleet, an overcast day to go along with my mood.

400 FR w/ snorkle, 400 Back, 400 IM w/u

10 x 75 on 1:10
    - 25 Kick/25 FR Fast/25 pull

100 FR/100Bk/100 FR continuous with Agility paddles
    Put the snorkel back on:
    - 4 x 50 Quarter's Strong FR on :45
    - 100 Kick, 100 Pull with buoy
    - 4 x 50 FR FAST on :40 (28, 30, 29, 29)
    - 100 Kick, 100 Pull with buoy
    - 4 x 100 Quarter's Strong FR on 1:30
    - 100 kick, 100 Pull with buoy
    - Take off snorkel

50 Breast (working on underwaters) and out
    (Solo/Rec/3700 yds/60 min)
    ----------------------------
    Such a nice release to get into the water and swim today. Like many, I find that my stress level goes up a bit when I can't hit the pool. Sometimes it is nice to think about not thinking very much, and just go. Planning to swim again tonight.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Workout 04/09/13:

by , April 9th, 2013 at 09:29 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Busy week so far. After work on Sunday, I went to the nursing home for first Sunday service, then visited my mother-in-law to get some cupcakes from my niece's birthday party that Lena was unable (more like unwilling, I think) to bring home on Saturday. Then we went to church and I helped out again with the projector and also helped to serve communion. It was a long, but good day.

I got into the water Monday before work, swimming a total of 1500 yds in about 30 minutes. Did 50 swim/kick/pull -> 100 each -> 150 each -> 200 each (and will probably do that tomorrow as well). Went to Men's Bible Study, had a great discussion again as we look at who the Holy Spirit is, then stayed late for the NCAA champs (my team won, too!). Was going to double today, but I was bushed and after dropping Preston off I came home and went back to sleep. Helped Lena around the house until tonight, when I joined the masters team for:

w/u: 300 choice, 4 x 50 pull (:20sr), 4 x 50 kick (:20sr), 2 x 25 FAST (:30sr), 100 loosen
    Borrowed JBS's "50's on 1:01"
    - Start on :10, finish by :60. Did IMO for the first 3 rounds (12), then FR. Stopped after making the :31 swim.
    Then 100 Social Kick
    1 x 100 Broken FR off blocks (:05sr/:10/:10)
    3 x 50 on 1:00 Active Recovery and out
    (Masters/Rec/2200 yds/60 min)
    --------------------------------
    Monumental Masters Mini-meet coming up quickly, so introducing a meet warmup to the crew. I remembered John's 50's set and felt it would be a great high-intensity option for us, and it was a delightfully painful! We had a packed house tonight, seven swimmers including myself, and I was excited about that. Now, off to bed so I can attempt to get up for a swim before work tomorrow.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Workout 04/04/13: evening

by , April 4th, 2013 at 09:01 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Well, we were able to get all of the air back into the house, post-audit, so all is well. Our house was built in 1883, so they found areas of improvement, but were impressed with our ability to reduce our oil usage from ~1300 -> 540 gallons per year by putting in the pellet stove. Looking to find more solutions to making the more house energy efficient. Before supper:

200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill

5 x through with snorkel:
    - 100 kick on 1:50 (~1:40)
    - 100 FR agility paddles on 1:20 (~1:10)
    - 100 FR pull with buoy on 1:30 (~1:15)

50 EZ

5 x 100 on 1:30 (~1:15)
    - 25 FR strong, 50 BK Fast, 25 FR DPS

50 EZ

8 x 75 on 1:10
    - odds = no free IM's (~1:02)
    - evens = Dolphin Dive in Deep (~ :55)

50 EZ
    1 x Noah's Ark pull with buoy
    50 EZ

2 x (50 from blocks into 100 EZ)
    - FR ~ 25 (huge calf cramp heading into the turn)
    - BR ~

50 EZ and out
    (Solo/Rec/4250 yds/75 min)

Apparently I found some motivation yesterday, and the pool conditions helped to keep me going as it was practically empty! Split the lane the whole time, in fact, which is a great bonus. Felt like a good mix and I was happy with the 50 FR at the end, despite the cramp - just tried to swim through it. It probably didn't help that I went from the blocks, as it was a longer practice for me with lots of kicking, and tensing up for the start is likely what did me in.

I'll be dry through the weekend, but might try to hit the gym. I have restarted some drylands recently, including pushups and core work. Working on flexibility, too. Have a great weekend, everyone!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Workout 04/04/13: morning

by , April 4th, 2013 at 11:20 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)

2 x (150 Kick/150 Pull with buoy/150 Bk)
    4 x 50 FR on :40
    100 Loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/1800 yds/45 min)

Preston's appt in Albany was fine yesterday; had his heart checked out due to some issues while playing basketball and the fact that he has grown so much. I had heart surgery when I was two, so the doctor wanted to get some more specific testing done to be sure. We are relieved.

Very quick swim this morning. The folks from Efficiency Vermont are here at the house doing an energy audit, which is only $100 due to a promotion that I signed up for at the town voting day last month. Of course, I now pay around $9/month for a charge on my electricity bill to help fund the program, so I am paying for the darn thing anyway. They will be pulling all of the air out of the house shortly, so I will get some hypoxic work here at home.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Workout 04/03/13:

by , April 3rd, 2013 at 09:55 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    200 FR/200 BK/200 IM drill

5 x
    - 50 kick on :60
    - 100 FR pull with buoy on 1:20

1 x Noah's Ark pull with buoy
    1 x 100 loosen
    4 x two-turn 50 FR on :50 (from mid-pool)
    1 x 200 Rotissery kick/drill by 25
    1 x 100 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2450 yds/50 min)

Busy few days at work, as things always pick up at the beginning and middle of the month. Yesterday the new orders kept piling in, even after 6pm, so it seemed like little headway was made. Momma said there'd be days like that.

Nice swim today, although I am still feeling a little stiff in the water. I haven't slept well over the past few nights, which is common after seeing Emma for a bit. Speaking of which, Ihave to get to the post office in order to mail down some items that didn't fit in her suitcase, then I'm heading over to Albany with Preston for a doctor appointment he has. Might try to swim tonight, but will have to see how the day goes. Perhaps I'll find some motivation along the road somewhere.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Workout 04/01/13:

by , April 1st, 2013 at 09:06 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)

kick-swim
    25 - 100
    50 - 150
    75 - 200
    100 - 250

6 x 75 on :10 SR
    - 25 Rotissery Kick drill, 25 burst/cruise, 25 fast

4 x 50 drill

1 x Noah's Ark
    - used last 100 as loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2550 yds/50 min)
    ---------------------------------------

My shoulders were stiff today, so did a recovery workout. Looking back, I swam a lot last week so aimed to loosen up today, knowing that I have to work tomorrow and can't swim. The Rec was closed yesterday, which was the last day for Sunday swimming until November. Too bad the lakes are still chilly.

Had a great time at the service last night. Pastor Peter was able to organize and lead the appox. 40 folks there, and I was able to help with greeting people at the door, setting up and running the choruses on the overhead, then collecting the offering. Afterwards we had a bit of a celebration with cake, punch, and coffee - I was able to snag three more pieces of cake than I should have. Looks like Sunday nights at 6pm is going to be his spot now, so I will go there to continue to support him (and be used as needed) before hitting the court for some bball.

------------------
    Just remembered this post from the Kingdom Swim website related to training for a big #OWSwim this summer: Training Tips: 10-Mile

Updated April 1st, 2013 at 10:11 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Workout 03/30/13:

by , March 30th, 2013 at 07:19 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill/100 Kick

6 x 250 on ~ :20sr
    - Descend 1-3 FR (with snorkel)
    - Descend 4-6 BK
    (Did Pull with buoy, swim with Agility Paddles, Swim)

8 x 75 on 1:20 (~ :15 sr)
    - Kick/Swim/Pull with buoy by 75
    - Mixed in strokes, even one BR

100 Loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2900 yds/55 min)

This morning I coached the masters team in town and we had two new swimmers stop by! We did the above workout, but abbreviated to allow for some POW (Pool Open Water) training, where I took the lanes out and had the team swim diagonally down the pool length, across the pool width, and then back up the length of the pool to the starting point. Did it "paceline," where you swim on the the feet of the person in front of you, trying to stay even the whole way. Also worked on some sighting drills, then 8 x 25 AFAP on :50, which I joined in on.

The Easter Egg hunt at the house this afternoon was great! A total of four nephews, two nieces, and three other little family friends came around 1pm for the hunt, then we had desserts to share. I also played some basketball in the driveway with my daughter, son, two brother-in-laws, and a couple of older nephews. The game was "knock-out," where you form single-file behind the free throw line and use two balls. First player shoots, and the race is on to get the ball in the hole; if the player behind you makes the basket (either on the free thrown or off the rebound) before the first player makes it, the first is "knocked out." Then the line keeps moving until only one person is left. Played for about 30 minutes, mostly nonstop.
    A really good

Hopped in tonight before supper and was able to swim the workout with Matt, a good swimmer that makes it to practice with us every now and again. Always good to have some to push you and vice versa, especially on those 250 descends, which were a good kick in the pants. I suggested cutting the 75's down to 4 in order to do some 25 AFAP, but Matt opted to finish out the 75's.

Tomorrow morning the family will be getting to a sunrise service and the brunch they have before the regular service, which we will have to miss in order to bring Emma back to the train station. Tomorrow night I will be helping out my friend (who recently became a pastor) as he leads his first Church service. The Northeast is typically not "very religious," but my son's school has helped to start three churches in the past five or six years get established before launching out into their own building. Really neat to see God working in our community in this way, and I am blessed to be able to take part in it.
    RT*@menofintegrity1*The miracle of Saturday ...*bit.ly/10t8Erk

Updated March 30th, 2013 at 09:52 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Workout 03/29/13:

by , March 29th, 2013 at 10:20 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)

10 x 200 on :10sr with snorkel
    - kick/kick/kick/kick
    - kick/kick/kick/Agility Paddles
    - kick/kick/Agility/Ag
    - kick/Ag/Ag/Pull with buoy
    - Ag/Ag/Pull/Pull
    - Ag/Pull/Pull/kick
    - Pull/Pull/kick/kick
    - Pull/kick/Ag/Ag
    - 100 Back easy, 200 FR fast (1:06, 1:04 = 2:10), 100 Bk easy

4 x 50's on :50
    - 1 = EZ, 2-5 = Burst and Cruise (stroke choice)

200 loosen (Dolphin Dives in Deep)
    (Solo/Rec/3000 yds/55 min)

Good workout this evening after a busy day around the house. The bonus was being able to sleep in for the first time all month, which I really needed. Went to a Good Friday service tonight, then we colored Easter Eggs in preparation for a hunt at our house tomorrow with our siblings and nieces and nephews.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	good-friday-cartoon-bc.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	149.9 KB 
ID:	7348
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Workout 03/26/13: evening

by , March 26th, 2013 at 09:51 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Had a good afternoon: helped my wife with the kids that she nanny's and got a nap in, bonus. Then I helped one of the guys from Bible Study with a project: he recently became an ordained preacher and is planting a church in our town. I went door to door with him, inviting folks to an Easter evening service that will also be the first for his church. Not beating folks about the head with the Bible (that doesn't work too well), but just inviting them to come and check out how God is using Peter. I will also help on Sunday by greeting folks at the door and probably ushering - I feel blessed to help him and be involved in this great answer to prayer.

Tonight I finally tried a fun set from JBS's blog: Swedish 2:01. I have been wanting to try it for a while, and figured that GregJS would be the perfect victim, er, companion, to give it a go.

W/u: 100 Fr/100 Bk/100 Kick/100 Pull
    Stole this set from Aquageek: the Swedish 2:01. As he described it:
    "1. Start at the :40
    2. Swim a 100, which has to be completed before the :00 (so, under 1:20)
    3. Start the next 100 at the :41 (hence the 2:01 portion)
    4. Again, this 100 has to be completed by the :00.
    5. Start the next 100 on the :42.
    6. Again, this 100 has to be completed by the :00.
    7. This continues, always starting the 100 2:01 after the previous one and finishing before you see :00 on the clock.
    8. Go until you fail."
    We left on the :30 to start, something that JBS has been doing. I also set it up that if you fail, you drop distance down to 75's. We ran out of time, but we did make it to the :50 sendoff. I basically did rounds of 4 x100:
    1. Fly, Bk, Br (barely made it), Fr
    2. Fly, Bk, IM, Fr
    3. Fly, Bk, IM, Fr
    4. Fly, Bk, IM, Fr
    5. Fly (-2), Bk (+1, fail), IM (+3, fail), Fr (went 1:03)

50 Easy and out.
    (Masters/Rec/2450 yds/60 min)
    --------------------------------------

Glad I was finally able to do that set. As JBS had explained in one of his posts, it seems "fine" for a bit in the beginning, but then the :00 starts to come at you super fast and the extra rest doesn't seem to be all that helpful! I figured I would only be able to sneak in one full Br, so switched to IM's. I noticed that time was running out for practice so I loafed the last Bk, but I was honestly trying to make the last IM. Then I wanted to make the last one a fast one, and it hurt.

In oddball news, I finished the jug of Cookies and Cream whey protein powder that I bought - it was nasty and I just wanted to get through it! Back to regular old chocolate, which I sometimes add a smidge of peanut butter to. I got an email that it will change from 26 grams of protein per scoop to 30 soon, and I might try the strawberry flavor when that happens. I almost always mix it with 3 ounces of skim milk, and I was able to get a knockoff Magic Blender from Aldi's for $15 so mixing is a breeze. After every workout, so today I drank two.
    Now off to
    Tags: swedish 2:01
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Workout 03/26/13: morning

by , March 26th, 2013 at 10:44 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)

Kick - Swim (various)
    25 - 100
    50 - 150
    75 - 200
    100 - 250

100 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/1650 yds/30 min)

Kiefer posted this on twitter the other day and it really got me thinking that starting late is better than nothing at all. I sometimes lose motivation when I have time to swim but can't get started on time, so I hope that others out in USMS-land can find some encouragement. Today I planned to get in for 50 minutes or so (after dropping my son off at school), but my daughter was still at home at 8 waiting for her ride to NYC. So, my plans (happily) changed as I was able to spend a few extra moments with her before swimming.

Spoke with Steve this morning, one of the age group coaches that sometimes swims with our Masters team but also competes. Additionally, he is a ref and just received his USAS level 2 certification for that (although I probably have the terminology wrong), so he is eligible to officiate at a Zones meet. I think that it is really cool that he is getting the additional training, and he might possibly try to go farther and look to officiate for the next trials. He is a retired principal and loves all aspects of swimming, so it has been great getting to know him more these past few years. Needless to say, my swimming time (again, happily) was reduced a tad ...

Just cranked through the above, somewhat distracted by the moderate construction doing on near the hallway to the showers. Our facility has no "family" changing area, and kids under the age of 3 are not allowed in the lockerroom of the opposite sex, so there have been some issues raised. The Rec is converting a utility room into a family area with a shower (which they were moving into posistion today) to help make the trip in for swimming more enjoyable to all. Since the major construction last summer (that closed the pool for two months), there is storage space on deck that makes this a great option.

Off to not do too much today, then might give the Sweedish 2:01 a try tonight with the Masters group.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Workout 03/25/13:

by , March 25th, 2013 at 04:47 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Had a good weekend at work. My daughter arrive home safely from Philly and we saw her for a little bit Saturday night. Now her social calendar has her booked for the rest of the week! She was able to snag tickets for the Daily Show and will be going to NYC tomorrow with a buddy. I played basketball last night - total of ten guys and we played 5x5, which is tough in the small gym that we play in. Second game was 4x4 with a sub, then we played 5x5 for the last game. I was there for 2.5 hours!

Today I was able to sneak out of work early enough to get a lunchtime swim:

500 with snorkel and agility paddles
    1 x 50 kick
    400 RIM
    2 x 50 kick
    300 with snorkel
    3 x 50 kick
    200 back
    4 x 50 kick
    100 IM

300 with snorkel
    200 Dolphin Dives in Deep then out
    (Solo/Rec/3100 yds/60 min)

Felt good to swim today and the pool was not that crowded. More of a recovery workout again, as my legs are always fried after basketball, and included some socially kicking with one of my old age-group coaches. Bible Study was canceled for tonight, but I am going to meet up with one of the guys for coffee after supper to catch up. The rough plan is to double tomorrow, then swim Friday and Saturday.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Workout 03/21/13:

by , March 21st, 2013 at 08:45 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)

1 x 1000 pull with buoy
    - 200: Fr/Bk/Fr/Bk/Fr

1 x 1000
    - 100 kick/100 stroke

Four times through:
    4 x 25 FAST on :30 followed by EZ 50
    - Rd 1, 3 = FR
    - Rd 2, 4 = IM

200 Dolphin Dives in Deep pull with buoy (sounded good at the time)
    100 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/3500 yds/65 min)

I had planned on swimming this morning, but I was wiped out from yesterday's double. Ran some errands and vegged out around the house before swimming prior to supper tonight. The lanes were busy tonight, so I scrapped my original workout and went to some longer continuous swims. I haven't really done many lately, and I actually like doing them. Building speed and intensity within the swim is ok by me, and less clock work is good when I am not feeling very energetic. Played with some speed on the 25's, thinking about strokes per lap and checking times; I am trying not to spin my wheels so to speak but find a balance between fast stroke rate and proper body roll.

I'll be dry for the rest of the weekend. I am a little bummed that I have to work and will miss the New England SCY Champs at Harvard, for the first time in two years since I started swimming masters. I'll be checking results from my phone at least.
    On the other hand, Emma is coming home Saturday evening since her winter term is over at Drexel. It'll be fun having her around for a week.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Workout 03/20/13:evening

by , March 20th, 2013 at 08:48 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    2 x Noah's Ark with agility paddles
    - Free, then Back

8 x 100 on 1:40
    - Rotate IM for 75
    (Fly-Fly-Bk, Fly-Bk-Bk, Bk-Bk-Br, Bk-Br-Br, Br-Br-Fr, Br-Fr-Fr, Fr-Fr-Fly, Fr-Fly-Fly)
    - Last 25 = Rotissory Kick drill
    1 x 50 EZ

10 x 50 FR with snorkel
    - 1-5 on :40 with agility paddles
    - 6-10 on :45
    1 x 50 EZ

8 x 25 on :40
    - Fast stroke IMO down
    - Underwater SDK on the way back

200 Loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/3400 yds/70 min)

Had a busy afternoon but excited to get into the pool again tonight. Was able to split the whole time which is a bonus. Also, seeing the sun when I started at 6:20 and then still seeing an amber sliver on the horizon on the walk home closer to 8:00 gets a
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Workout 03/20/13: morning

by , March 20th, 2013 at 09:53 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    3 x (100 Kick + 200 Swim with agility paddles)
    1 x 100 Kick (to even out the set)

6 x 50 on :45 (2 Fr, 2 Bk, 2 FR)
    (Odd = EZ, Even = Fast)

150 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2000 yds/40 min)

The latest "mega snow storm" to rumble through the area was indeed mostly a dud (yet again), here in SW Vermont anyways. My town is nestled between two mountain ranges, the Taconics to the west and the Green Mountains to the east. While they do not reach dramatic elevations, they serve to buffer us from most of the storms that come through. In town we had maybe four inches of snow, but just 10 miles east they took on over a foot.

Planning to double tonight, then swim at least once tomorrow. Off to get some info to the local paper about our upcoming Masters meet next month, as well as email some of the nearby coaches to try to promote it. I suppose that I will probably do some grocery shopping as well and make a batch of yogurt later.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Workout 03/18/13:

by , March 18th, 2013 at 10:03 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Back to the pool this morning. Basketball was almost brutal last night, even though I somehow got put on the better team and experienced some wins. Just eight guys, so it was two hours of straight games with a couple minutes of rest between them. My legs were like rocks after all that driving at the end of the week, but I had fun.

Today before work:
    200 Fr/200 BK/200 IM drill

Kick Swim
    25 - 50
    50 - 75
    75 - 100
    100 - 125
    125 - 150

5 x 50 FR Quarters Strong on :10 SR
    250 Loosen and out (including Dolphin Dives in Deep)
    (Solo/Rec/2000 yds/40 min)
    ------------------------

Loosened out today after the weekend, and was able to talk to one of the age group coaches about the Golds championships at RPI this weekend. Had a really busy day at work (yet again, everyone is freaking out about the potential snow storm coming our way), so I predict a slower day tomorrow. I am off Wednesday and Thursday this week, would like to double one of those days, then work the weekend (which means I will be dry).
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Workout 03/15/13:

by , March 15th, 2013 at 11:18 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Made the five hour trip to Rochester yesterday without incident and visited Roberts Wesleyan, running into a friend's son on campus. We ran a bit behind schedule so my thoughts of swimming at their pool didn't happen. We then drove made our way 90 minutes to the southwest and arrived at Houghton just before dinner. Fun thing last night was the use of the rock climbing wall here, my first time partaking in this activity. I was able to ascend the flat wall totally, and made it about 2/3 up the angled one. Really good workout for the arms and core!

Today I had some time to relax as the kids went to classes and in the afternoon played hoops for half an hour. Then my dip in the pool at the
    George R. Wells Natatorium: Located in the Nielsen Physical Education Center, this six-lane 25-meter pool features three diving boards (one a three-meter board).
    Three lanes roped off for laps, the other three for splashing about, in clear water that was a refreshingly cool 81, but no backstroke flags. I did:

1 Noah's Ark with agility paddles
    100 loosen

8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 laps, with 30 seconds Vertical Kick between each

100 loosen
    Major calf cramp, which happens rarely and I attribute to not hydrating enough
    300 more splashing around then out
    (Solo/Houghton/2500 yds plus VK/50 min)
    -----------------------------------

Felt good besides the cramp. I guess dealing with that is good training for open water.
    Picked up that main set from the Muntones OW book and wrote something similar for the masters group back home, do figured I would do it myself.

Tomorrow after breakfast we head about two hours to Niagara Falls, then head a tad over six hours home. Considering I have been sleeping on the floor with no pillow these two nights away, I am very much looking forward to getting home Saturday night and crashing into my own bed.
  18. Workout 03/12/13:

by , March 12th, 2013 at 09:37 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I had the day off today and was planning to double, but woke up feeling a tad off and before leaving the house I had that strange wave of nausea hit me. Thankfully, my wife was able to drive him to school and I went back to bed - slept for 3 hours. Just took it easy and farted around the house. From 4-6 I volunteered my time to sit in on a healthcare career summit put on locally by the department of labor. I try to attend events like these to help give folks an idea on how I ended up counting pills for a living, and how they can do the same. It was an interesting format and I was able to munch on some cookies and brownies, too.

Jumped in tonight with the Masters crew:
    200 FR/200 BK/200 IM drill/100 kick

350 FR on 4:30
    200 IM om 3:30
    2 x 50 Burst and Cruise on 1:00
    4 x 25 FAST on 1:00
    Then back up the ladder

Finished with 50's from the blocks, relay style with GregJS. We each 4 before a 200 loosen and out.
    (Masters/Rec/2500 yds/60 min)
    ---------------------------------

Felt ok during the swim tonight, but still tired. I plan to head to bed shortly and skip swimming tomorrow morning before work. On Thursday I am traveling as a chaperone/driver with my son's school to visit Roberts Wesleayn and Houghton Colleges in western NY, with a side trip to Niagara Falls on Saturday before heading home. Preston is not interested in attending either college, but the experience of visiting them should help him to feel out what is the best path for choosing a college down the line. gregdanner helped me out with some swimming options in the area, but that all depends on our timeline, which looks more like time at Houghton (30 miles to nearest Masters team). May try to get a quick dip on campus at either school, but that is yet to be determined. Time for some good road-trip music!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Workout 03/11/13:

by , March 11th, 2013 at 01:23 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Good night of basketball last night, nine guys total so we played 4x4 (my team had 5, so one sub every 5 points) for a little over 90 minutes.

Got in before work today to do:

2 x 100 Kick/200 with agility paddles

4 x 100
    - odds = FR on 1:20
    - evens = BK on 1:30

100 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/1700 yds/30 min)

Missed the Tri-Train, that was chugging down the fast lane, so I ducked in between their stops to get this recovery workout in. I wanted to go longer on the 100 set, but was tuckered out by number four so called it quits.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Workout 03/08/13:

by , March 8th, 2013 at 09:36 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)

Go 3 times through
    100 kick
    200 with agility paddles

100 kick
    6 x 75 on 1:05
    - odds = FR
    - evens = 50 FR/25 stroke

150 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2200 yds/40 min)

As planned, I woke up before work in order to get a swim in this morning. I give lots of credit to those of you in the swimming world that daily do early morning practices

The Tri train was a bit unorganized, so I headed over a lane and split it with my dentist to do the swim above. I usually try to eat half a granola bar but didn't today, and I was not feeling very energetic. I started to read Muntones' Open Water book so I can pretend to know I am doing this summer in the waterways of New England. Have a great weekend, everyone!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast