View RSS Feed

Swim Workouts

1. Workout 01/18/13:

by , January 18th, 2013 at 04:28 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    200 FR/200 BK/200 IM drill for warmup

35 x 100 on 1:30, done as:
    1-5 = 50 kick, 50 FR with snorkel (1:25s)
    6-10 = FR with snorkel and agility paddles (1:16s)
    11-15 = FR with snorkel (1:11s)
    16-20 = BK (1:22s)
    21-30= odds FR, evens IM (mostly drills)
    31-34= various
    35 = Fast one: went 1:01

50 EZ

4 x 25 on :30
    - Stroke IMO Burst and cruise
    4 x 50 on 1:00
    - 25 stroke IMO, 25 FR ez
    4 x 75 on 1:30
    - 50 FR ez, 25 stroke IMO

300 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/5050yds/85 min)
    -------------------------------

This qualifies as my longest pool practice as a master. Decided to break up the 100's to keep the repetition from getting old; it was interesting that throughout my lanemates would change; went from three to five at one point! I kinda miss using the swimp3; need to find those and charge them up for some entertainment during practices.

Going out with my wife tonight to a coffeehouse music thing at a friend's church, then I'll coach tomorrow morning and swim myself after lunch before heading down to spaghetti dinner to help a cousin's church raise money for a new roof in the spring. It'll be a busy weekend off for me, which I like.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Workout 01/15/13: evening

by , January 15th, 2013 at 09:29 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Yeah for double days! In with the team this evening after supper:

200 FR/200 BK/100 ez w/u

1 x 200 on 3:00 (did IM)
    4 x 25 on 1:00 No breather AFAP
    1 x 300 on 4:30 (did Bk/Fr/Bk by 100)
    4 x 25 on 1:00 Kick (did underwater SDK's, surfaced at flags)
    1 x 400 FR on 6:00
    (and then back down the ladder)

(Did the last 200 was warmdown)
    (Masters/Rec/2300 yds/60 min)
    ------------------------------------

Good workout, nice mix of distance (aim to keep even pace over 100's), and some fast work to help keep the lungs burning. Greg and Carol were there, and we settled into a nice rhythm. Carol's son Andy is training for his third Olympics in the sprint cross-country ski events, he was a little dude on the swim team when I was in high school.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Workout 01/15/13: morning

by , January 15th, 2013 at 11:03 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    200 Fr/200 Bk w/u

Put on snorkel and do (:05 sr between all):
    400 FR with agility, 50 FR fast, 50 kick with board
    300 FR strong, 50 FR fast, 50 kick with board
    200 FR with agility, 50 FR fast, 50 kick with board
    100 FR strong, 50 FR fast, 50 kick with board

4 x 25
    - evens skull
    - odds underwater SDK (rotate 90 degrees every 6 yds or so)

4 x 50 stroke (Medley Relay order)
    50 ez and out
    (Solo/Rec/2150 yds/40 min)
    --------------------------------

Nice to hop in the water this morning. It's been a long week at work after the pharmacy move, and relative lack of workflow. This weekend I established one, and also played bball on Sunday night with the guys (Preston stayed home to watch the Patriots game). Was going to swim last night, but had the opportunity to organize a last minute Bible study at my house with some of the guys and James, whose dad sometimes joins us at study and is home from Seminary in Louisville. Nice to get his perspective about some of the issues that seem to be coming up when us old folks get together.

Had to wait a bit as the lifeguard called in sick and the Rec director was running late (plus she forgot her keys). It was a good thing, though, as we just huddled in front of the entrance and talked, those going to swim and those headed for the weight room, about upcoming weddings, family news, and the like. Then a nice swim.

Updated January 15th, 2013 at 12:26 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Workout 01/10/13:

by , January 10th, 2013 at 08:47 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Wow, first time I have done two days in a row all year!

200 FR/200 back warmup

4 x (with snorkel):
    - 50 kick with board on :05 SR
    - 100 strong FR with agility paddles on :10 SR

1 x Noah's Ark with snorkel (went ~ 6:15)

1 x 100 EZ, then
    1 x 400 IM (1:20, 2:45, 4:30, 5:45)

10 x 50 on :50
    - odds: FR dolphin dives in the shallows
    - evens: Stroke (Medley Relay order), extra BK to finish (31.6)

1 x 200 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2600 yds/50 min)
    ---------------------------------

It has been weird so far this year, the pool has not been inundated with New Year's Resolutionists. The past two have yielded super crowded lanes, so I am a little confused, but perfectly ok.

After the swim today I mailed out a printer to my daughter at school, and went to a basketball game to cheer on my son. Their team is not the most coordinated, but they were able to tie the game against the local high school, where basketball is all the rage. (Funny, the varsity team is not doing great (0-8), but of course the local paper only covers them, not the swim team, where the girls are undefeated and the boys have only lost one meet). Well, Preston's team lost in OT 45-39, but he played a good game (his best effort so far this season), and was putting some of the moves that we work on during the Sunday night practices into the game.

I'll most likely be dry through the weekend due to work, but have gotten within two miles of my GTD. I plan to catch up to my goal pace by the end of next week.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Workout 01/09/13:

by , January 9th, 2013 at 02:30 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    200 FR/200 BK w/u

2 x (with snorkel):
    - 50 kick with board on :60
    - 2 x 50 smooth on :45 with agility paddles

4 x 125 IM's on 2:00
    - Shuffled 50 stroke Fly -> Free

4 x 125 FR on :10SR
    - Shuffled 50 FAST last on first, first on last

1 x Noah's Ark with agility paddles and pull buoy
    1 x 500 of something (I forgot)
    1 x 200 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/3100 yds/60 min)

The move of the pharmacy Monday to Tuesday was a tad crazy. We were able to get some extra help from two college students. I stayed until midnight, and didn't sleep well at all, then blistered through a twelve in the midst of continued construction. Ugg.

Nice to get into the water today at lunch to work off some stress.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Workout 01/07/13:

by , January 7th, 2013 at 10:10 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Feeling really sluggish today, no doubt due to two swims, a snowshoe hike, and basketball this weekend.

Got this in before work today:
    200 Fr/200 back warmup

Went twice thru:
    200 Fr on 2:45, 2 x 50 Fr on :50
    (Used snorkel and pull buoy)

100 ez
    8 x 75 IM cycles on 1:15
    1 Noah's Ark (last 200 ez)
    (Solo/Rec/2200 yds/45 min)

Ready to physically move the pharmacy tonight after work. I am scheduled until 10pm or so (it'll probably finish up around 1 or 2 am), then back tomorrow morning at 8 for a regular twelve hour shift. It will be great to finally have this construction complete for us (been going in for three months!).

Updated January 7th, 2013 at 10:18 AM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Workout 01/06/13:

by , January 6th, 2013 at 07:09 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Got in for a swim after church this morning:

200 FR/200 Bk warmup

Go three times through:
    - 100 kick, 100 w/ agility paddles, 100 w/ paddles and buoy, 100 hard
    - All on :10 seconds rest, with a Masters Minute between rounds
    - Did FR/FR/Bk by round (used snorkel on the FR, went 1:07 on the BK)

200 stroke loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/1800 yds/30 min)
    Had a full day and not a lot of time to swim, so this is what I did. Can't let the Flog get to far away this early on!

After the swim I went to one of the nursing homes in town and led the Sunday service, which I am blessed to do the first Sunday of every month. Good turn out, despite some flu-ish bugs floating through the nursing home.

When I got home, I packed my son up in the car and went to basketball with the guys. We played 4x4, three teams, over two hours. Our team lost all of the games, but I scored a few buckets and sweated up a storm. Next up, I need to buy some basketball shoes ...

Updated January 6th, 2013 at 07:38 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  8. Workout 01/05/13:

by , January 5th, 2013 at 09:34 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I finally had a chance to get into the water today. Since the turnout was not to much, I was able to swim a bit with the team:

150 fr
    3 x 50 Fr on :55
    4 x 50 kick on 1:15
    (break to talk with new swimmers)
    200 Fr, 100 Fr with snorkel

5 x ? on 2:00 (pick a distance)
    - did 150s with snorkel
    - 1 smooth, 2 build, 3-5 descend

4 times through:
    - Vertical kick x 30seconds, then 50 Fast

4 x 50 Active Recovery on 1:15
    (Masters/Rec/1950 yds/60 min)

Work has been busy, as our remodel continues and we actually move the pharmacy on Monday night. I was happy to sneak in a swim today with the group.

This afternoon, I went snowshoeing with a friend who had never used them before. It was supposed to new a short trek, but turned into over 4.5 miles! Ready for some

Updated January 5th, 2013 at 09:55 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  9. Workout 12/31/12:

by , December 31st, 2012 at 04:04 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Had a busy weekend at work, as well as some more snow overnight into Sunday so I was able to keep up some drylands in the beautiful cold - just waited for a bit after finishing up before heading inside to admire the quite snow slowly drifting to the ground.

For the second week in a row I was able to get basketball in on Sunday. Last week it was 3x3 half-court for about an hour, and last night was old dudes vs young bucks, 3x4. full-court. I am usually the oldest; we played for just under two hours and won the first game.

Slept in this morning and hit up the rather busy adult swim lanes at lunchtime:

- 200 FR/200 Bk w/u

Go 4 times through with snorkel:
    - 100 kick on 1:45
    - 2 x 100 FR pull on 1:30 with agility paddles

200 (very broken) IM and then a 100 back with agility paddles

10 x 50 on :45 pull with buoy
    - maintained 33-34 throughout

Go 4 times through:
    - 50 fast stroke on :60 (IMO by round)
    - 100 strong on 1:40

- 100 IM for time: 1:08.8

200 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/3300 yds/75 min)

My back has been stiff from shoveling and bball, so today was more or less another stretch-out swim. I had notions of 100 x 25 (since that is about my max time limit available to do), so settled on at least 100 lengths.
    Mission accomplished.

So, GTD for the year looks like:
    My Go The Distance 2012 Progress
    261.46 miles swum (=460,165 yards, =420,775 meters).
    Made my goal of 250 miles at the BU meet a few weeks ago. I really like the flogging ability that we have with our USMS membership to keep track of our yardage. For comparison, I swam 235.24 miles in 2011 (goal = 200), and 137.17 miles in 2010 (goal = 100). With no planned absences from the pool (vacation or closures) for 2012, I will set a goal of 300 miles. I have already signed up for the USMS 10 mile wave at Kingdom Swim, and if I can get clearance from Lena I would really like to splash in one of the 8 Bridges stages.

Here is to a happy and healthy new year to all of my swimming friends and their families. Many blessings from Vermont.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Workout 12/27/12:

by , December 27th, 2012 at 09:10 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    First legit snow storm of the year started Wednesday night and continued through the day today. Was able to snap this picture of the house before firing up the snowblower:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grape winter.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	6917

Spent about an hour clearing out the driveway, then another little bit opening up after the town plowed me me. Got in the following swim before dinner:

200 FR/200 BK/200 IM drill

Put on snorkel and ...
    - 50 flutter kick on 1:00 with board
    - 100 pull on 1:30 with agility paddles and pull buoy
    - 150 swim on 2:15 with agility paddles
    - 200 back with agility paddles (didn't use snorkel here, or course)

Two rounds of:
    6 x 50
    - 1: ez
    - 2-5: quarter's strong
    - 6: AFAP
    - go on next top
    (first round FR with snorkel on :45, second round back on :50)

1 x Noah's Ark pull
    1 x 100 float to finish
    (Solo/Rec/2800 yds/45 min)

Nice stretch-out swim in with toys. Felt good to add in some longer yardage swims but also keep some intensity in there. I'm starting to look forward to ramping back into full swing with the swim training with the start of the new year. It has been nice not having crowded lanes, but I know that will change for a while in January.

After getting home, I shoveled some more for another 30 minutes. I might be a tad crazy, but I enjoy the winter weather and the outdoor activities that it brings. Even shoveling Last year we had some very small storms and it was quite warm, causing our winter season to be almost nonexistent. Looking forward to more time outside, off to find my snowshoes and wax up the old Burton.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Workout 12/26/12:

by , December 26th, 2012 at 02:53 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Time to start working off some of the cookies/dinner/desserts that have filled my plate over the past few days:

w/u: 200 FR/200 BK

4 x (with snorkel and agility paddles)
    - 50 kick on 1:00
    - 100 swim on 1:30

2 x 100 Back on 1:30 with agility paddles

Then, since the pool cleared out and I had the time, I tackled a 1000 fly that I worked my way into from the Butterfly Lane. I have not done more than a 200 fly continuous in practice (or meet), so I signed up for this challenge, although I think I fell a tad short. I did:
    - 500 fly (8:03),
    - guzzled some water and stretched out until the next top and
    - 500 fly (7:59)
    (I did mostly DPS fly, with a lap or two of take a stroke and dolphin kick to the other end)

100 ez free with snorkel and agility paddles and out
    (Solo/Rec/2400 yds/45 min)
    -------------------------------------

The pool is back to regular temp (~85), and I was surprised at the lack of swimmers. Folks might still be traveling. I am proud to have swam that much fly all at once, next year I'll try to do a full 1000 without stopping if I lose my mind and think about doing it again. At least I can officially join the butternut crowd.

I had to make some alterations to my blog (remove my background photo from Peaks to Portland and change text color settings) with the new changes. I tried to reload my page, but it didn't help. Probably keep playing with settings to try to make the photo background work. I also had to change the settings for text entry as I was unable to comment with my phone. Went to the advanced (instead of cadilac) editor and now I can continue to chime in on conversations.

Updated December 26th, 2012 at 03:10 PM by rxleakem

Tags: butternut
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Workout 12/22/12: Squad Meet

by , December 22nd, 2012 at 10:13 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Busy few days off for me, starting with the storms that moved through the area yesterday. It was super windy (lost some pieces of gutter and my compost bin blew across the yard) with power outages throughout the area. A huge tree fell over near the high school, cutting power to most of the downtown and crushing two cars, and a double rainbow also filled the sky:

The local paper has a story about it here. The Rec Center also lost power so no swimming for me, which was fine since I was helping my wife get prepared for our annual lasagne dinner with family around the Christmas holiday. Great night with good food and time spent with loved ones.

This morning, with snow lightly falling, the Rec was open again, but a sign greeted us at the door announcing the pool temperature at 75 degrees.
    With the power outage, the pool dropped about 10 degrees since Thursday. I had organized a squad meet with the local age group team as well as masters from nearby Williamstown, Ma, and we didn't let the colder water deter us. Well, one of our swimmers bailed and spent the whole morning in the sauna, but I enjoyed the cool water for a change. We again used the swim to gather nonperishable donations for the local food shelf as an "entry fee," a great way to branch into the community.

I joined the team in the water for quite literal warmups:

500 choice (I did 600)
    5 x 50 builds on 1:15
    1 x 100 FR strong (overkick odd lengths)

Then the racing began! Fourteen wees ones (and their three coaches) lined up with five of us from Bennington and our four new friends from Williamstown through the schedule of events below. I ended up swimming the 100 back (1.00.7), back in the Medley Relay, 100 free (53.7), and two legs on the 200 Free Relay to log 1225 yards. We also introduced the age groupers to the "cap relay," where the object is to get one member of the team into a standard latex cap and swim them to the other end of the pool - it was a blast!

A fun day, followed by a nap for me. We collected 25 pounds of food which will be a great help for our community. The plan is to start up training for the spring with the New Year, and I am thinking that I will actually be ready to start swimming in earnest by then again.
  13. Workout 12/18/12: am and pm

by , December 18th, 2012 at 09:39 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    This morning I hopped into a pool with 25% visibility and a roasting 86 degrees. Twice a year the chlorine element goes crazy, somehow causing the heater to malfunction and thereby causing cloudy bath water to swim through. Oh well ...

200 FR/200 BK/200 IM drill

50 kick/100 FR hard
    100 kick/200 FR hard
    50 kick/100 FR hard
    (bases: kick = 2:00, swim = 1:30/hundred)

4 x 50 back quarter's strong

200 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/1600 yds/30 min)
    ----------------------------
    It was hot, and I was not altogether motivated. The Rec may be closed over the next two days as they fix the issue. What'ch going do?

- In the afternoon I watched some of the high school meet. Heard afterwards that both the girls and boys won, but it was closer than they would have liked. The boys were decided in the last event, 4x50 FR relay. Our winning team was deeked for false start, their second place team was deeked for a swimmer not exiting the pool (was still in water after the next dude touched at the 50), so our B team, that finished third, actually won the event and the meet!

Back for the Masters workout tonight:

-500 choice warmup (did 600, with snorkel and agility paddles)

- 1 x 200 FR on 3:30 (did 250 with snorkel)
    - 4 x 50 kick on 1:15
    - 4 x 50 pull on 1:00

- 100 Non-free loosen

Speed play mountain:
    - 1 x 25 AFAP
    - 1 x 50 EZ
    - 1 x 50 AFAP
    - 2 x 50 EZ
    - 1 x 75 AFAP
    - 3 x 50 EZ
    - 1 x 100 FAST (did IM: 1:07.6)
    - 4 x 50 EZ (and out)
    (Masters/Rec/2100 yds/55 min)
    -------------------------

Our team plan is in taper mode, but only Greg was present tonight to endure the torture. The pool was considerably cooler (I think around 84) and visibility improved (I'd say around 70%). Had fun with the speed set, which I believe was from the Fortress' HIT workouts. I did it leading up to the BU meet, and really felt it was beneficial.

Now, time for some
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Workout 12/13/12:

by , December 13th, 2012 at 02:24 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill wu
    6 x 100 kick on 2:00 (snorkel on free)
    6 x 100 on 1:30 with agility paddles)
    4 x 100 IG and out.
    (Solo/Rec/2200 yds/40 min)
    -------------------------

Not too motivated today, but wanted to stretch out again in the water. My quads are still sore from the 200 bk last weekend, maybe more basketball is the answer.
    In exciting news, Emma is done with fall quarter and coming home tonight on the train!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Workout 12/12/12:

by , December 12th, 2012 at 09:24 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Back to the pool after the meet this weekend - a nice recovery spin in the water.

12 x 100 with snorkel
    - 2 FR, 2 IM drill, 2 free w/u
    - 2 pull w/ buoy, 2 agility paddle, 2 Dolphin Dives in the Shallows

12 x 50 on 1:00 with agility paddles
    - 2 each IMO
    - 2 free
    - 2 back

12 x 50, done as three sets of:
    - 2 x 50 kick on 1:00
    - 2 x 50 swim (no stop) on 1:30
    -- Did Fr/BK/IM by round (100 IM = 1:09 low)

(Solo/Rec/2400 yds/40 min)
    --------------------------

Work has been a zoo the past two days with little help, and me working regular twelve hour shifts, but no lunch break and an extra hour each night to try to clean up. We should get back to full staff by next week, but I am pooped (especially coming off a weekend of racing).

Felt good to get into the water. Notice that I added some new toys to my swim bag. My buddy John from Maine sent me a pair as an early - thanks so much, John I was nervous about using them at first, being strapless and all, but I have been really working the EVF over the past year and the paddles stayed on even with stroke work. I notice some issues with the end of the pull in my stroke, so they will be beneficial in fixing these.

Other random things:

- Finalizing a duel meet with the local USAS team in a couple of weeks. Lots of swimmers on our masters team have never competed, and since our practice times are back to back on Saturdays we are going to take on the little ones. Should be a fun way to "experience" a meet for some of the newer adult swimmers.

- BU news: I was able to tie for 8th place in the men's high-point standings with Son from Maine (if James hadn't of convinced me to skip the 2fly, I could have potentially moved up to 5th ). I also passed the 250 mile mark/goal for the GTD
    Congratulations! You have achieved your goal for Go The Distance 2012
    My goal pace: 237.67 miles required as of today to reach my goal by the end of the event
    My actual current pace: 252.64 miles as of today
    - My eye sockets hurt from the "racing" optical goggles I wore over the weekend - my usual training pair provides much wider coverage and less pressure. Happy to change back to them, and might ditch the racers.

- Here is another picture from BU: my ginormous son Preston (aka: I'm never going to cut my bangs again), wife Lena, funny looking RX, and aunt Pat on the end:

Updated December 12th, 2012 at 10:14 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Workout 12/7/12:

by , December 7th, 2012 at 11:16 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Not too sure this qualifies as a workout, but here goes:

Miguelito's mystery meet warm-up
    - without a few block sprint 25's
    (Solo/Rec/1400 yds/35 min)

Prepared for the meet - excited to race in a nice pool and see some folks I only run into a few times a year. So cool to be a part of the swimming community. I'm signed up for:

Saturday:
    #06 Men 100 IM
    #08 Men 200 Breast
    #12 Men 200 Back
    #18 Men 50 Fly
    #20 Men 200 Free

Sunday:
    #30 Men 400 Free
    #34 Men 100 Free
    #38 Men 50 Back
    #44 Men 200 Fly
    #48 Men 100 Back

Looks like I'll be done both days before 3pm, so that is very nice. Getting packed up today and ready to leave home tomorrow morning by 6:30 for the three hour drive to Boston. Weather is looking good for the weekend, so only one night in the big city.

For other folks swimming this weekend - go fast!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Workout 12/5/12:

by , December 5th, 2012 at 07:32 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 200 FR/200 BK/200 IM

Go two times through:
    - 25 EZ, 25 Build, 50 DPS
    - 25 AFAP, 75 EZ
    - 75 EZ, 25 AFAP
    (one fr, one back)

4 x 25 Burst and Cruise on 1:15
    (fr, bk, fly, fr)

200 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/1500 yds/35 min)
    ---------------------------

I put off swimming yesterday in order to join the Masters team in the evening. Got a call, after lap swim was over, telling me that the lifeguard went AWOL and no Masters practice.

So, no swim, but it was beautiful day yesterday, even with a little rain. I was able to reorganize the garage so that my wife's car will be protected by the snow. My van doesn't fit, so I just went though things, condensed and prepared for a Goodwill and recycle run. Now, off to work two 12's, then a quick swim on Friday before heading to Boston early Saturday morning
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Workout 12/3/12:

by , December 3rd, 2012 at 10:58 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Intended to get up to swim this past Friday, but my alarm didn't work. Oh well, the extra hour of sleep might have been more beneficial in the long run.

Today:
    w/u: 200 FR/200 BK/200 IM drill

Go three times through:
    - 50 DPS, :10 SR
    - 25 AFAP right into 25 EZ into
    - 100 Kick
    (did FR/BK/FR)

4 x 50 Burst and Cruise on 1:15 IMO

4 x 25 AFAP followed by 25 EZ
    - IMO of fast, float on EZ

100 even more EZ (if possible) and out
    (Solo/Rec/1700 yds/40 min)

Feeling good in the water. Out of it, my shoulders/back has been tight, so I was able to beg my wife for a massage in addition to rolling around on a tennis ball. My goal for the rest of the week is to not do anything stupid, which will be a stretch for me.

Went to Bible study after the swim, and passed out copies of a sermon from J. Vernon McGee that I listened to last weekend with my wife. Really great teaching from the book of Romans on "living the Christian life." If you have an interest in hearing it and 45 minutes to do so, I highly recommend checking it out: The Success of a Failure
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Workout 11/29/12:

by , November 29th, 2012 at 04:32 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u 200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM Drill

6 x 75 on 1:15
    - 1-4 = IM rotation strong
    - 5-6 = FR DPS

1 x 50 EZ
    8 x 50 FR on 1:10
    - odds = DPS/EZ speed, evens = AFAP

1 x 50 EZ
    8 x 50 BK on 1:10
    - odds = DPS/EZ speed, evens = AFAP

1 x 50 EZ
    - Impromptu turn clinic for some swimmers
    (Hey, I'm tapering and have the time...)

6 x 25 Burst and cruise on 1:00
    - IMO, then FR and BK to complete

3 x 50 Active Recovery
    (Solo/Rec/2300 yds/55 min)

On target with the taper plan that I penned out yesterday in preparation with NE champs next weekend. The 75's were to work strokes and transitions, then the 50's were taken from that Thorpe test set I did a while back. Rough add-ups were:
    FR: 27, 28, 27, 27 = 1:53
    BK: 32, 31, 31, 30 = 2:08

The plan is to get in for about 1900 yds tomorrow before work, but that depends on me getting up before work to do it. Otherwise, next week I'll drop from 1700 -> 1100 yds over 4 swims, then I'll be shipping off to Boston via car Saturday am if the weather is ok. Right now my wife and son are signed up as passengers, so it will be exciting for me to have company to blast some good tunes during the road trip

Updated November 29th, 2012 at 05:12 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Workout 11/28/12:

by , November 28th, 2012 at 01:52 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 200 FR/200 BK/200 IM drill

3 x 200 FR on 2:45 pull with buoy
    4 x 75 kick on 1:30

Fort Speed Set:
    Swim: Fins optional, pick your own interval for max rest or don't bother to look at the clock in between hard efforts

1 x 25 AFAP
    1 x 50 EZ
    1 x 50 AFAP
    2 x 50 EZ
    1 x 75 AFAP
    3 x 50 EZ
    1 x 100 @ 90%
    4 x 50 EZ
    5 x 50 BK on 1:10
    - 1 thru 4 = Quarter's Strong
    - 5 = FAST (went 30.x)

200 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2700 yds/50 min)
    ---------------------------

The last two days at work have been extremely busy - with the doctors off Thursday and Friday for Thanksgiving, then the weekend, we were getting pounded by new orders as the offices tried to clear out their backlogs, and patients that were coming in wondering why their orders weren't ready yet. Add to that the store remodel and the chaos that breeds ...

I was going back and forth about swimming for the next 10 days with the BU meet fast approaching (double today like normal, soft or hard transitstion into the taper, ). Made my mind up to start the taper today.

I found the main speed set from Fort's HIT week #15, and was going to do it twice (once free, once back), but didn't really have the time so just did free. I was able to crank out a :42 on the 75 and :59 on the 100, so I was happy. I did not use fins, but did take plenty of time before AFAP efforts. The BK set felt good; I have decided just to swim more and think less, so we'll see how that goes.

As for now, perhaps a nap. Or clean the garage up a bit. Nap's looking better and better

Updated February 15th, 2013 at 10:55 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast